Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Done 09:17 - Jul 23 with 52633 views1907

Alan Nixon confirming we are in the process of agreeing a fee with Sheff U for Done. Was spotted at the game yesterday too.
Matt Done on 14:30 - Jul 26 with 4556 viewsD_Alien

Matt Done on 14:09 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

The only thing pasted when I trained was the ruddy-cheeked lecturer.

You pasted a shot of his red arse online??

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Matt Done on 14:33 - Jul 26 with 4537 viewsTVOS1907

Matt Done on 14:27 - Jul 26 by ColDale

Would he be allowed to answer about Matt Done? I know a handful of managers will frequently do so but I'd have thought 90% of managers would have two stock answers to the Done question:
* It would be disrespectful to discuss another club's player
* I will only comment on transfers once they are completed

If the two clubs are in talks as is believed based on the speculative tweets, I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well at all to have a manager speak publicly about it. Had Lee Clarke announced that Bury were trying to secure a deal to sign Andy Cannon, I doubt our ire would be softened by excuses that he was only answering the questions put to him. Like I said, I know many managers do cross that line, and Hilly may well have done so himself at various times over the years.

The point about a adequate local journo is valid tho. Its not even worth the effort reading it in Tesco's anymore. It's reached the stage where if the Ob ceased publication tomorrow, it would have any impact on Dale. And that's far more to do with the quality of local journalism in this area currently rather than any national trends.

Does the second bullet point only apply to the manager?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Matt Done on 14:34 - Jul 26 with 4533 viewsfitzochris

Would he be allowed to answer about Matt Done? I know a handful of managers will frequently do so but I'd have thought 90% of managers would have two stock answers to the Done question:

If the two clubs are in talks as is believed based on the speculative tweets, I'd have thought it wouldn't go down well at all to have a manager speak publicly about it. Had Lee Clarke announced that Bury were trying to secure a deal to sign Andy Cannon, I doubt our ire would be softened by excuses that he was only answering the questions put to him. Like I said, I know many managers do cross that line, and Hilly may well have done so himself at various times over the years.

The point about a adequate local journo is valid tho. Its not even worth the effort reading it in Tesco's anymore. It's reached the stage where if the Ob ceased publication tomorrow, it would have any impact on Dale. And that's far more to do with the quality of local journalism in this area currently rather than any national trends.

Again, though, Col, the question hasn't even been asked for him to offer any kind of response.

I would fully expect one of the two answers you suggest, but at least it gets the dialogue going and it keeps supporters in the loop. A local reporter would also do a lot of their own research.

You frequently see tweets such as: "It is my understanding a deal for Matt Done is close".

So many local reporters do that and they've usually been fed the information by someone at the club who doesn't want it attributed to them, but who still wants the news out there. I've done it myself.

I totally don't buy the argument that local papers have lost their power either. There are so many good examples still out there of football clubs getting great coverage.

I'll use Chris Phillips as an example of many, the Southend Echo chap. He's a good guy and does a steller job. Follow him and see what I mean. He asks Phil Brown those sorts of questions all the time.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 14:36]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Matt Done on 14:39 - Jul 26 with 4507 viewsAtThePeake

Matt Done on 13:26 - Jul 26 by Rooleyblue

I don't understand what is wrong with the questions above being asked. Non of them are offensive or too invasive, just questions about Rochdale FC who Hill is the manager of and the very one person who will know the answers to the above questions.
Why would a reporter be afraid to ask relevant questions or to be able to ask Keith to substantiate or deny rumours.
He only has to say sorry I don't want to answer that or bat it away, Is Keith Hill really that unapproachable to be interviewed?
So much for team Rochdale if that is the case and such a shame.

A former uni tutor of mine (who you might know Fitz), Davie Donaldson who works for SSN described Hill as "the strangest manager he's ever dealt with." Never got a chance to quiz him further on that unfortunately.

Tangled up in blue.

Matt Done on 14:40 - Jul 26 with 4500 viewsVivaDonaldo

Matt Done on 14:03 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Your blatant ignorance to my training and working environment aside - you're missing the point.

Why should those questions wind up the manager? Why should he not be asked those questions?

You're being a little rude there. Just because you have training and expertise in that area doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion. I've not refuted anything you've said other than to suggest that Journalistic principles, whilst all well and good from a moral point of view, struggle to work well in the real world. Particularly at local level.
Matt Done on 14:46 - Jul 26 with 4455 viewsfitzochris

Matt Done on 14:40 - Jul 26 by VivaDonaldo

You're being a little rude there. Just because you have training and expertise in that area doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion. I've not refuted anything you've said other than to suggest that Journalistic principles, whilst all well and good from a moral point of view, struggle to work well in the real world. Particularly at local level.

I'm not being rude intentionally, but you referred to my training as if it was in a bygone era. Yes, granted, it was a while ago, but I still work in the industry and have had to move with it.

And you won't find a bigger decryer of the centralisation and digitisation of local media than myself.

All that said, there are still many examples of fine local journalism out there, as I referred to in my post above. Journalistic principles are alive and well there.

Matt Done on 14:56 - Jul 26 with 4406 viewsVivaDonaldo

Matt Done on 14:46 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

I'm not being rude intentionally, but you referred to my training as if it was in a bygone era. Yes, granted, it was a while ago, but I still work in the industry and have had to move with it.

And you won't find a bigger decryer of the centralisation and digitisation of local media than myself.

All that said, there are still many examples of fine local journalism out there, as I referred to in my post above. Journalistic principles are alive and well there.

Fair enough. In your opinion so far as Rochdale goes. Have we ever had a strong local journalist of the type you describe?

You've pointed to the good example of Southend and then someone else pointed to the issues in Middlesborough. It feels very much an issue that is dependent on the incumbent of each football clubs' personality and engagement with the media.
Matt Done on 15:02 - Jul 26 with 4366 viewsfitzochris

Matt Done on 14:56 - Jul 26 by VivaDonaldo

Fair enough. In your opinion so far as Rochdale goes. Have we ever had a strong local journalist of the type you describe?

You've pointed to the good example of Southend and then someone else pointed to the issues in Middlesborough. It feels very much an issue that is dependent on the incumbent of each football clubs' personality and engagement with the media.

We've had better, I'll say that much.

And, as I said, the Southend example is one of many. The Middlesborough example, albeit a negative experience, still shows there is at least a local reporter to ban.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 15:04]

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Done on 15:08 - Jul 26 with 4323 viewsColDale

Matt Done on 14:34 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Again, though, Col, the question hasn't even been asked for him to offer any kind of response.

I would fully expect one of the two answers you suggest, but at least it gets the dialogue going and it keeps supporters in the loop. A local reporter would also do a lot of their own research.

You frequently see tweets such as: "It is my understanding a deal for Matt Done is close".

So many local reporters do that and they've usually been fed the information by someone at the club who doesn't want it attributed to them, but who still wants the news out there. I've done it myself.

I totally don't buy the argument that local papers have lost their power either. There are so many good examples still out there of football clubs getting great coverage.

I'll use Chris Phillips as an example of many, the Southend Echo chap. He's a good guy and does a steller job. Follow him and see what I mean. He asks Phil Brown those sorts of questions all the time.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 14:36]

Wasn't suggesting local papers have lost their power, just that ours has. And it would need a change in corporate level policy as well as employee to revert that.
Matt Done on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 4308 viewsfitzochris

Matt Done on 15:08 - Jul 26 by ColDale

Wasn't suggesting local papers have lost their power, just that ours has. And it would need a change in corporate level policy as well as employee to revert that.

Totally agree.

And the local-paper-losing-its-power point was a reference to VivaDonaldo's comment, sorry, not yours.

Your point about the Ob is the very point I've been making since the start.

Matt Done on 16:18 - Jul 26 with 4082 viewsTVOS1907

Matt Done on 15:08 - Jul 26 by ColDale

Since Les Barlow's heyday, all but one of the Observer's Dale's reporters have been willing and able to move onto better things, which is very telling.

One of them has even harked back to those times in his column in the August edition of 'The Cricketer'.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Matt Done on 16:59 - Jul 26 with 3930 viewsSuddenLad

Matt Done on 16:18 - Jul 26 by TVOS1907

Since Les Barlow's heyday, all but one of the Observer's Dale's reporters have been willing and able to move onto better things, which is very telling.

One of them has even harked back to those times in his column in the August edition of 'The Cricketer'.

The Flying Horse has never been the same since he left. As for Les Barlow, he had some good contacts, a good rapport with the club, worked at the club in a variety of capacities and actually 'lived on' for a time. You can't get your 'reporters ear' much closer than that. Happy days.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Matt Done on 17:22 - Jul 26 with 3838 viewsThacks_Rabbits

I don't see what the issue is in asking questions that do try and get more info than we currently hear. If Keith said respectfully I cannot comment on ongoing transfer talks, that's fine, but at least it has been asked.

Fitz knows far more than me but a positive relationship with a manager will allow you to ask most thins, if the manager does not want to discuss it ok. But, if you deal with said response in the right way you will gain respect over time.

Have said before on here (without blowing smoke up arses) that we should use knowledge and skills of fans more than we do. A Scottish scout and decent journalist in one would certainly benefit the fans although maybe the club don't want real questions asked!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Matt Done on 17:42 - Jul 26 with 3764 viewsfitzochris

Matt Done on 17:22 - Jul 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

I don't see what the issue is in asking questions that do try and get more info than we currently hear. If Keith said respectfully I cannot comment on ongoing transfer talks, that's fine, but at least it has been asked.

Fitz knows far more than me but a positive relationship with a manager will allow you to ask most thins, if the manager does not want to discuss it ok. But, if you deal with said response in the right way you will gain respect over time.

Have said before on here (without blowing smoke up arses) that we should use knowledge and skills of fans more than we do. A Scottish scout and decent journalist in one would certainly benefit the fans although maybe the club don't want real questions asked!!!

Appreciate the comments Thacks, but I'm not after anybody's job. I'm no longer even at the local reporter stage of my career. I'm speaking as a frustrated punter, but with the added bonus of having industry experience.

Oh and we should sign Jai Quitongo.

Matt Done on 19:16 - Jul 26 with 3554 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Matt Done on 13:24 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Thanks for the input, but you're wrong.

A local reporter's role is to challenge and represent public interest - be that the council or the local football club.

It's about managing relationships sure, but one of mutual professional respect - not matey, matey.

A football manager should expect to field questions such as those. They're not controversial and are being asked on behalf of the readership (supporters).

I've interviewed belligerent managers before and it's amazing how cooperative they became after they saw their belligerence in print.

It's a funny one because I genuinely love, predominantly watching not reading, really awkward interviews. Where the interviewer is really trying to get to the core of the matter or person and the person being interviewed is either bored or has a disdain for the whole process. Lennon and Morrissey or Fergie and Clough are good at it to give a few examples off the top of my head. There's an edgy fun to it. The uncomfortable squirming etc. I kinda like Hill for it.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 19:18]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Matt Done on 19:22 - Jul 26 with 3531 viewsBartRowou

Matt Done on 19:16 - Jul 26 by BigDaveMyCock

It's a funny one because I genuinely love, predominantly watching not reading, really awkward interviews. Where the interviewer is really trying to get to the core of the matter or person and the person being interviewed is either bored or has a disdain for the whole process. Lennon and Morrissey or Fergie and Clough are good at it to give a few examples off the top of my head. There's an edgy fun to it. The uncomfortable squirming etc. I kinda like Hill for it.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 19:18]

Here's a good example:

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Matt Done on 19:25 - Jul 26 with 3513 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Matt Done on 19:22 - Jul 26 by BartRowou

Here's a good example:

I was actually thinking of this when I posted. Wonderful.

Matt Done on 19:38 - Jul 26 with 3462 viewsfitzochris

Matt Done on 19:22 - Jul 26 by BartRowou

Here's a good example:

He was still at it years later:

Matt Done on 19:48 - Jul 26 with 3413 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Matt Done on 19:38 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

He was still at it years later:

Just as wonderful.

Matt Done on 20:08 - Jul 26 with 3340 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Matt Done on 20:26 - Jul 26 with 3285 viewsrochedale

Hang on a minute here, doesn't the guy who interviews KH after every match post on here? I could be mistaken, and often am, but I put 2 and 2 together from Mr Friday Night's posts and assumed he was Mr MC, the guy who interviews KH and commentates on Dale player??

Forgive me if I am mistaken MFN, if I am not mistaken, could you ask these questions posed by Fitz? If not, why not?

And for what it's worth, I doubt we'll see Matty Done at Dale. I think that if those rumours had any substance, surely a deal would be done by now.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Matt Done on 20:41 - Jul 26 with 3217 viewsD_Alien

A common theme running through all the video interviews above, and the questioning of the manager, is the utter inanity and disconnect between the interviewer and those being interviewed

Makes you wonder how on earth they arrive at a position where they get to conduct interviews. Is there some sort of qualification in duff questions?

[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 20:55]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Matt Done on 21:09 - Jul 26 with 3095 viewsnordenblue

Matt Done on 20:26 - Jul 26 by rochedale

Hang on a minute here, doesn't the guy who interviews KH after every match post on here? I could be mistaken, and often am, but I put 2 and 2 together from Mr Friday Night's posts and assumed he was Mr MC, the guy who interviews KH and commentates on Dale player??

Forgive me if I am mistaken MFN, if I am not mistaken, could you ask these questions posed by Fitz? If not, why not?

And for what it's worth, I doubt we'll see Matty Done at Dale. I think that if those rumours had any substance, surely a deal would be done by now.

He has def been in for talks,that's not a rumour.....

Personally I think the longer it carries on the more likely he is to join us,I'm assuming the only stumbling block is/will be the wages but I may be doing him a disservice with that...
Matt Done on 21:25 - Jul 26 with 3040 views442Dale

Matt Done on 21:09 - Jul 26 by nordenblue

He has def been in for talks,that's not a rumour.....

Personally I think the longer it carries on the more likely he is to join us,I'm assuming the only stumbling block is/will be the wages but I may be doing him a disservice with that...

If any player has been in for talks it should remain within a football club, it's mystifying why people within clubs choose to talk about it when it could upset other members of staff/potentially impact a deal if it became public.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Matt Done on 21:54 - Jul 26 with 2938 viewsnordenblue

Matt Done on 21:25 - Jul 26 by 442Dale

If any player has been in for talks it should remain within a football club, it's mystifying why people within clubs choose to talk about it when it could upset other members of staff/potentially impact a deal if it became public.

It's hardly top secret,hes been seen by numerous people at the game too so there's obviously interest,hes on the transfer list there's nothing secretive about his current club's wish to sell him either and no doubt there's other clubs interested in bringing him in.....
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 22:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024