Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Scunthorpe H 14:07 - Aug 12 with 13905 views442Dale

Team: Lillis, Brown, Ntlhe, McNulty, Canavan, Rafferty, Camps, Allen, Rathbone, Done, Henderson

Subs: Collis, Cannon, Kitching, Inman, Williams, Andrew, Davies
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 14:09]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:39 - Aug 14 with 2324 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 05:18 - Aug 14 by Bazzanne

Be careful Fitzo, shun and richdale, small citicisms granted but the Mardi princesses in the critic police will be watching you.

I've offered valid reasons for my criticism of Brown's performance. I would be surprised if any paying spectator at the game on Saturday disagreed.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:48 - Aug 14 with 2306 viewsDaleFan7

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:39 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

I've offered valid reasons for my criticism of Brown's performance. I would be surprised if any paying spectator at the game on Saturday disagreed.

That doesn't always matter on here. If you criticize someone connected to the club on here, some people will shoot you down just for the sake of it.
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:51 - Aug 14 with 2297 viewsD_Alien

Be careful Fitzo, shun and richdale, small citicisms granted but the Mardi princesses in the critic police will be watching you.

It was a Saturday afternoon fixture, not a Tuesday evening

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 09:06 - Aug 14 with 2204 viewsColDale

The one in front of the back four is for me a negative formation. It works to an extent when we're going through a bad run and we need to shut up shop, and for that doesn't apply at the moment.

There's a theory about KH that his sides are sometimes picked to protect the weakest link rather than to take advantage of our greatest strengths. We know centre halves is our weakest area, so Raff is dispensed to sit in front of them to protect them. Unfortunately, this left us exposed at right back and weak in midfield. it worked to an extent because as good as a side Scunny are and the amount of possession they had, we did restrict them to a handful of chances despite them being comfortably the better side in my book, but it meant that we played on the back foot rather than the front.
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 10:17 - Aug 14 with 2102 viewsTomRAFC

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 09:06 - Aug 14 by ColDale

The one in front of the back four is for me a negative formation. It works to an extent when we're going through a bad run and we need to shut up shop, and for that doesn't apply at the moment.

There's a theory about KH that his sides are sometimes picked to protect the weakest link rather than to take advantage of our greatest strengths. We know centre halves is our weakest area, so Raff is dispensed to sit in front of them to protect them. Unfortunately, this left us exposed at right back and weak in midfield. it worked to an extent because as good as a side Scunny are and the amount of possession they had, we did restrict them to a handful of chances despite them being comfortably the better side in my book, but it meant that we played on the back foot rather than the front.

If we have the likes of Cannon/Rathbone on the pitch then we have plenty of energy in midfield to offer some protection to the back four which could allow Keane to return to centre back.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 10:17 - Aug 14 with 2102 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 09:06 - Aug 14 by ColDale

Excellent post, spot on. The real shame regarding our failure to improve the weakest link of the team is the fact that it dilutes the effect of signing Matt Done. We should be unleashing the dogs of war at the COA,but instead are having to juggle players out of position to cover up a deficiency that has been apparent for too long and it has a knock on effect throughout the team.
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 10:32 - Aug 14 with 2067 viewsfirgrovedale51

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 15:01 - Aug 13 by fitzochris

Can't agree with you about Brown. I felt he was constantly caught out of position and, when he did get the ball, seemed to take too long to control it, meaning a backwards pass was his only option. I think I remember one decent cross he put in all game.

His inability to control the ball not only resulted in a decent attacking move breaking down, it allowed Scunthorpe to break and from that spell of pressure, they scored. Kgosi was much better going forward on the other flank.

I was pretty disappointed with Brown's performance all told.

Best player on the park yesterday was Scunthorpe's Ojo.

Brown was poor I do not know what his position is but he seemed to drift into a central defensive position time and again thus leaving the right fullback position short of cover , maybe he would be better at the centre of defense he can`t be any worse than at fullback
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 16:03 - Aug 14 with 1826 viewsTVOS1907

I've posted this before...

There's a difference between not being allowed an opinion and having a different opinion.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 17:55 - Aug 14 with 1647 viewssoulboy

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 10:17 - Aug 14 by TomRAFC

If we have the likes of Cannon/Rathbone on the pitch then we have plenty of energy in midfield to offer some protection to the back four which could allow Keane to return to centre back.

If we have Cannon on the pitch we have someone who can play, and has played many times, right back....
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:49 - Aug 15 with 1359 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:48 - Aug 14 by DaleFan7

That doesn't always matter on here. If you criticize someone connected to the club on here, some people will shoot you down just for the sake of it.

It does matter, though. Valid criticism is fine. I've criticised Brown's performance within a SINGLE game. I've not resorted to personal abuse or writing him off.

To be fair, there were a few others who were due criticism on Saturday, too. But for Lillis being switched on, we could easily have been 3-0 down at half time.

Based on one game, it looked like we were missing the fizz of previous seasons. Recruiting early seemed good back in June, but three of the new signings didn't get on the park on Saturday (one was injured, fair enough) and the one who did had a shocker. Even our late recruitment Done had a quiet game, although that's as much to do with the set up as anything else.

The defence as a whole seems to have gone backwards, if anything.

So, yeah, based on one game only, I wasn't impressed with a lot of things- but it's okay to say so.

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 10:23 - Aug 15 with 1256 viewstony_roch975

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 07:49 - Aug 15 by fitzochris

It does matter, though. Valid criticism is fine. I've criticised Brown's performance within a SINGLE game. I've not resorted to personal abuse or writing him off.

To be fair, there were a few others who were due criticism on Saturday, too. But for Lillis being switched on, we could easily have been 3-0 down at half time.

Based on one game, it looked like we were missing the fizz of previous seasons. Recruiting early seemed good back in June, but three of the new signings didn't get on the park on Saturday (one was injured, fair enough) and the one who did had a shocker. Even our late recruitment Done had a quiet game, although that's as much to do with the set up as anything else.

The defence as a whole seems to have gone backwards, if anything.

So, yeah, based on one game only, I wasn't impressed with a lot of things- but it's okay to say so.

Fair critique - we struggled (as ever) against a physical side, often lost out on 2nd balls & never took control of midfield, but we scrapped well and didn't concede a late goal! The Hendo/Done formation depends on midfield control - without that they're not hold-up strikers. Thus the Davies substitution and then the long ball from the back started to work. Playing Raff as holding midfielder might protect back four but also meant playing Allen wider where he's not as effective and he did struggle. None of our wide players are as effective at protecting their full-back as say Joe T is and without that any full-back struggles one-on-one as did Brown at times. I thought Canavan/McNulty looked solid throughout and though they could have been 3 - 0 up before half time (but for Lillis), their goal came from a misplaced pass. We are still missing our best two defenders whose pace would allow us to hold a higher back line and thus help midfield control. As to the new signings - it's disappointing they don't yet seem to be in contention, fingers crossed it's just a case of them getting up to speed.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:28 - Aug 15 with 1060 viewsRobc

As a Scunthorpe season ticket holder it has been interesting to read some of the critical posts on here. Our clubs have followed very similar paths over the years and are probably both in their most successful eras of modern times. Despite historical season after season of bottom division drudgery and attendances of 2500, we too still have may posters on our site who can do nothing but complain!
Don't get me wrong, we all have our opinions and absolutely the right to air them, but some people either forget the past with its poor quality football in front of low attendances or expect too much from clubs the size of Scunthorpe and Rochdale. We are very similar in many ways and having seen us fail at the last hurdle last season and Rochdale flirt with the play off positions, we should be very proud of where we both are in this moment. Good luck for the coming season and you never know, if we can go toe to toe again with the 'big' clubs in this division, we may just meet at Wembley for a play off final! Up The Iron :-)
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:39 - Aug 15 with 1032 viewsBartRowou

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:28 - Aug 15 by Robc

As a Scunthorpe season ticket holder it has been interesting to read some of the critical posts on here. Our clubs have followed very similar paths over the years and are probably both in their most successful eras of modern times. Despite historical season after season of bottom division drudgery and attendances of 2500, we too still have may posters on our site who can do nothing but complain!
Don't get me wrong, we all have our opinions and absolutely the right to air them, but some people either forget the past with its poor quality football in front of low attendances or expect too much from clubs the size of Scunthorpe and Rochdale. We are very similar in many ways and having seen us fail at the last hurdle last season and Rochdale flirt with the play off positions, we should be very proud of where we both are in this moment. Good luck for the coming season and you never know, if we can go toe to toe again with the 'big' clubs in this division, we may just meet at Wembley for a play off final! Up The Iron :-)

Cheers for that.
I think some of our disappointment comes from the difference in performance between Saturday and when we beat you last season. Have we got worse? Have you got better? Who knows? Plus our two best defenders have seemingly gone AWOL which is having a knock on effect on other positions.
Interesting that you see our clubs as similar. To a Premier League fan maybe, but I've always had Scunny as a bigger club than Dale in terms of attendances, catchment area and the ability to sign higher-profile players (not always a guarantee of success).
Anyway good luck for the season - my first ever Dale game was at the Old Show Ground so happy memories etc.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:55 - Aug 15 with 1001 viewsRobc

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:39 - Aug 15 by BartRowou

Cheers for that.
I think some of our disappointment comes from the difference in performance between Saturday and when we beat you last season. Have we got worse? Have you got better? Who knows? Plus our two best defenders have seemingly gone AWOL which is having a knock on effect on other positions.
Interesting that you see our clubs as similar. To a Premier League fan maybe, but I've always had Scunny as a bigger club than Dale in terms of attendances, catchment area and the ability to sign higher-profile players (not always a guarantee of success).
Anyway good luck for the season - my first ever Dale game was at the Old Show Ground so happy memories etc.

Most welcome.
I think that we are struggling at the moment on our most effective formation, at 4-4-2 we look dangerous going forward and probably slightly better than last year at the back, but Graham Alexander has been experimenting playing three CB's with 2 'wing' backs which just doesn't seem to suit the players.
As ever we the fans know best and many are screaming for a change back to 4-4-2 (which I do agree with) to the point where a section booed the team off at half time in our first game! Shocking really. At two games in lots will change for both Scunny and Dale and so hopefully it will all come good.
Looking at last year's average attendances, we are both in the bottom 6 with about 1000 separating us so we're not too dissimilar in that respect. I'm not sure of the catchment area that you guys have, but we have a population of around 65,000 before we get to Grimsby's territory, so as a percentage our 4500 home gate average isn't too bad at about 7%
Ah the Old Show Ground was a grand old stadium, it's just a shame that it was home to so much dire quality over the years!
Good luck at Shrewsbury.
Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 14:09 - Aug 15 with 979 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 13:55 - Aug 15 by Robc

Most welcome.
I think that we are struggling at the moment on our most effective formation, at 4-4-2 we look dangerous going forward and probably slightly better than last year at the back, but Graham Alexander has been experimenting playing three CB's with 2 'wing' backs which just doesn't seem to suit the players.
As ever we the fans know best and many are screaming for a change back to 4-4-2 (which I do agree with) to the point where a section booed the team off at half time in our first game! Shocking really. At two games in lots will change for both Scunny and Dale and so hopefully it will all come good.
Looking at last year's average attendances, we are both in the bottom 6 with about 1000 separating us so we're not too dissimilar in that respect. I'm not sure of the catchment area that you guys have, but we have a population of around 65,000 before we get to Grimsby's territory, so as a percentage our 4500 home gate average isn't too bad at about 7%
Ah the Old Show Ground was a grand old stadium, it's just a shame that it was home to so much dire quality over the years!
Good luck at Shrewsbury.

You're very welcome too Robc, insightful posts from outside our fanbase always are

Interesting how fans always seem to assume it's only their own side (as some of ours did, perhaps myself too) that's having a struggle with their game plan

As you rightly say, early doors and much will change, especially when we get crucial players back into contention

Good luck too - but not too much!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Scunthorpe H on 17:09 - Aug 15 with 866 viewsfitzochris

Perhaps there is some moaning going on, but this is the match thread for discussing THE MATCH - a one-off event. It isn't a condemnation of the entire season.

I don't get the logic in saying something is good if it isn't. From a Dale perspective, Saturday wasn't good. I've seen a lot, lot worse, don't get me wrong, but Saturday wasn't good.

It doesn't mean that people have gotten delusions of grandeur all of a sudden.

Very few people have lost perspective of where our club is now and where it has come from (Scunthorpe have experienced the second tier, too, whereas we haven't), but, again, that shouldn't mean we can't comment on flaws in individual games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024