Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old school query 13:25 - Jan 20 with 11846 viewsBeechball

Bit of a speculative question here

Does anyone know if Kevin Andrews who used to teach Games at St Wilfrids is still alive and kicking ?
Old school query on 19:31 - Jan 21 with 3546 viewsfitzochris

Old school query on 19:29 - Jan 21 by judd

Kin ell, where was he teaching - on Shameless?

Rumour has it that Mr Calvin Andrew was the inspiration for Mel Gibson’s look in Braveheart.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Old school query on 19:33 - Jan 21 with 3531 viewschalkyncfc

Old school query on 18:48 - Jan 21 by nordenblue

Probably was if you went to school in Rochdale..... Or had any remote connection to the town even....foc

It was just nice to read about the good people of Rochdale thats all,especially when it concerns school kids which from my personal experience wasnt that good so to hear about teachers that tried to get the best out of kids instead of just bullying them into doing what they said makes an interesting read,I hated my P.E. teacher and he hated me more,the fact that I wasnt born in Rochdale is irrelevant,it's the story and the message that matters
Old school query on 19:33 - Jan 21 with 3524 viewsjudd

Old school query on 19:31 - Jan 21 by fitzochris

Rumour has it that Mr Calvin Andrew was the inspiration for Mel Gibson’s look in Braveheart.

Yes, and probably Adam Ant before that

Poll: What is it to be then?

Old school query on 19:36 - Jan 21 with 3514 viewsjudd

Old school query on 19:33 - Jan 21 by chalkyncfc

It was just nice to read about the good people of Rochdale thats all,especially when it concerns school kids which from my personal experience wasnt that good so to hear about teachers that tried to get the best out of kids instead of just bullying them into doing what they said makes an interesting read,I hated my P.E. teacher and he hated me more,the fact that I wasnt born in Rochdale is irrelevant,it's the story and the message that matters

Chalky I think every teacher mentioned on this thread taught me and I genuinely believe that none was scarred by the experience

Poll: What is it to be then?

Old school query on 19:41 - Jan 21 with 3498 viewsTVOS1907

Old school query on 19:33 - Jan 21 by judd

Yes, and probably Adam Ant before that

(Prince) Charming!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Old school query on 19:49 - Jan 21 with 3470 viewsClivert

Old school query on 19:20 - Jan 21 by fitzochris

He was rocking this look during my time at school.

I think that you were the year above me but yes he was certainly rocking that look during the mid 90s.

Phil Wheatley taught me geography and I was lucky enough to see him over Christmas, a really nice bloke and being a Dale fan meant that he was always a decent teacher.
Old school query on 20:03 - Jan 21 with 3449 viewsfitzochris

Old school query on 19:49 - Jan 21 by Clivert

I think that you were the year above me but yes he was certainly rocking that look during the mid 90s.

Phil Wheatley taught me geography and I was lucky enough to see him over Christmas, a really nice bloke and being a Dale fan meant that he was always a decent teacher.

Yeah, there were too few Dale-supporting teachers at Cuthbert’s during my time there. I remember Wheatley, though. He was alright.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Old school query on 20:11 - Jan 21 with 3441 views49thseason

Old school query on 19:49 - Jan 21 by Clivert

Does anyone remember Jeff Collinge (tall with whispy ginger hair) and his mate Eric Ford .(who never seemed to have a fag out of his mouth when not teaching)? They ran the towns schoolboy Cricket teams for years and I think it was Eric Ford who also had something to do with the town schoolboy football team too. I think they both taught at Kingsway?
I once bowled ay Jeff Collinge and hit him on what would now be the thigh pad but which in his case in those days was a box of matches and set fire to them, I never saw him move as fast either before or after. Happy days!
Login to get fewer ads

Old school query on 22:08 - Jan 21 with 3402 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 20:03 - Jan 21 by fitzochris

Yeah, there were too few Dale-supporting teachers at Cuthbert’s during my time there. I remember Wheatley, though. He was alright.

Mr Conroy was a tough old goat as a teacher, I think he taught us when they shut Wilfreds and moved us into St Joseph's for a year just as they closed all the local middle schools... he still attends Rochdale now but his health seems to have taken a real downward spiral, seem to remember a rumour of him being a boxer in his youth,again a cracking teacher if not a bit ruthless......
Old school query on 07:53 - Jan 22 with 3309 viewsEllDale

There were some pretty decent local league footballers amongst the staff at St Wilfrids/Bishop Henshaw.

Does anyone remember a massive redheaded teacher called Steve Edmondson? he played at centre half for Bacup St Marys and won everything in the air.

There was also a bloke with a beard at Benshaws who taught French for a couple of years. Was he called Reilly? O'Reilly? He had lived in South America and used to claim that he had once been the interpreter for Celtic when they travelled in Europe!

He was a right winger who played for St Patricks after they reformed and played in the Sunday Schools League.
Old school query on 07:56 - Jan 22 with 3308 viewsEllDale

I also seem to remember Phil Wheatley when he played at centrehalf for the Catholic Club in the Sunday Schools League. There were a few Northern Irish teachers in that team, lads like Matt Breen and Vinny McKeown.

They all lived in a big house on Drake Street.
Old school query on 09:23 - Jan 22 with 3269 viewsD_Alien

Old school query on 07:56 - Jan 22 by EllDale

I also seem to remember Phil Wheatley when he played at centrehalf for the Catholic Club in the Sunday Schools League. There were a few Northern Irish teachers in that team, lads like Matt Breen and Vinny McKeown.

They all lived in a big house on Drake Street.

I played a few games for CC 2nds with Pip in the early 80s (he was always known as Pip back then, not Phil) before weekend working intervened, but knew him from much earlier before he became a teacher. I think he still lives close to COA with his partner, Pat. His parents had a house near the ground too, on Edenfield Rd before his mum moved to Blackpool after his dad died

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Old school query on 11:22 - Jan 22 with 3202 viewsseasidedale

Not st wilfreds but what happened to greenhill pe teacher abe pinder?
Old school query on 05:21 - Jan 27 with 2984 viewsDiddyDave

Old school query on 20:11 - Jan 21 by 49thseason

Does anyone remember Jeff Collinge (tall with whispy ginger hair) and his mate Eric Ford .(who never seemed to have a fag out of his mouth when not teaching)? They ran the towns schoolboy Cricket teams for years and I think it was Eric Ford who also had something to do with the town schoolboy football team too. I think they both taught at Kingsway?
I once bowled ay Jeff Collinge and hit him on what would now be the thigh pad but which in his case in those days was a box of matches and set fire to them, I never saw him move as fast either before or after. Happy days!

I recall a Mr Collinge,tall with short ginger hair. He taught English at the Tech in my early days,1961ish. The boys called him Ozzie cos they reckon he was Australian. Was he?
Old school query on 11:59 - Jan 27 with 2874 viewsdownunder

Old school query on 20:11 - Jan 21 by 49thseason

Eric Ford taught my elder sister at the Parish School, and me at Kingsway. His board rubber aim was deadly, never missed his target. I will add Owen Elborne 's name to the thread. Great teacher in my opinion, but hated by many. A certain Mr. Brown, of first test tube baby fame, was the teacher I had issues with. And i was never actually in his class. He would be locked up for physical assault if the event had happened these days.
Old school query on 12:14 - Jan 27 with 2859 viewsmingthemerciless

One or two of my teachers at secondary school crossed the line regarding violence in the old days. It was actually physical assault. One I can think of was a brilliant music teacher but he should have been in jail. I later worked in a school and I was really glad that corporal punishment had been outlawed. A few kids really wound me up to the point were I could have given them a crack but I know I would have been sorry later. They're only daft kids when all said and done.
Old school query on 18:25 - Jan 27 with 2789 viewspioneer

Old school query on 11:59 - Jan 27 by downunder

Eric Ford taught my elder sister at the Parish School, and me at Kingsway. His board rubber aim was deadly, never missed his target. I will add Owen Elborne 's name to the thread. Great teacher in my opinion, but hated by many. A certain Mr. Brown, of first test tube baby fame, was the teacher I had issues with. And i was never actually in his class. He would be locked up for physical assault if the event had happened these days.

elbourne could be a right bully, you didnt want to get on his wrong side.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024