Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Hill - The Bad Times 13:55 - Mar 5 with 4478 viewsNinco

So there is already a Keith Hill - The Good Times thread so it would be remiss not to talk about the bad times.

Lets start with when he left to go to Barnsley, then we got Barnsley in the cup. The fans all wanted to acknowledge his first stint at Dale and gave him a standing ovation when he walked in to the ground only for Hill to refuse to acknowledge us and to go and sit in the dugout to avoid eye contact. Rude and ignorant.

Then on his return to Dale, what about when we needed a goal in a cup match and we were all shouting for Lillis to go up to the away team box to assist in the corner. Keith Hill turns round and tells us to f*ck off just because he didn't like us having an opinion. He upset a young family and when someone complained to the directors, they also told us to f*ck off.

Then there was a time when a fan shouted out negative comments at Hill about his choice of tactics and Hill chose to publicly embarrass him on iFollow by saying he was upsetting the players and it was either Hill or the fan that needs to go. I don't know what happened next but the fan has not been seen since. Managers come and go. Fans are the past, present and future that keep the club going long after managers have moved on and there is no way a manager should be able to dictate whether a fan can watch his club or not.

Added to this is the constant digs at the fans on iFollow and in the press. There is no need for it. He knows as well as we do that any defeat is not the fault of the fans and he cannot expect the fans to be cheering the players off when they keep getting thrashed. I accept that this is often said in the heat of the moment, but if any of us spoke to customers like that, we would be sacked. You have to learn to rise above it when it's your job. For me, the directors made the right decision, both for the football and for the man's arrogant and rude attitude to the fans and as I said when he left the first time, I hope we don't have him back again.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:08 - Mar 5 with 1630 viewsfitzochris

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:04 - Mar 5 by SuddenLad

It's obvious if you spend some time reading these boards. Terms such as 'Judas' and 'traitor' have been levelled at KH since the day he returned for his latest spell.

Not with any major frequency they haven’t. I’d be hard pressed to remember the last time I heard or read that levelled at Hill.

The vast majority of the support are sad Hill has gone and that his time at the club has ended this way.

Briels is right. Anyone revelling in it is a bit of a c*nt.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:09 - Mar 5 with 1627 viewsD_Alien

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:04 - Mar 5 by SuddenLad

It's obvious if you spend some time reading these boards. Terms such as 'Judas' and 'traitor' have been levelled at KH since the day he returned for his latest spell.

There were a few when he returned; and a couple of posters have expressed that view again since his departure. In the six years in between? You could count the posts on one hand

Absolute drivel by the Ob, unsurprisingly

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:13 - Mar 5 with 1608 viewsrochdaleriddler

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 17:58 - Mar 5 by 442Dale

On that score, tomorrow’s Observer feels fit to say that “a number of them never forgave him for quitting Dale to take a shot at Championship management with Barnsley in 2011”. What number is this from their extensive research?

I’ve never met anyone in real life who wasn’t glad to see Hill return, a footballer’s career is short, and most manager’s even shorter so I don’t blame managers for moving for a bigger club /better opportunity.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:19 - Mar 5 with 1568 viewsShun

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 18:09 - Mar 5 by D_Alien

There were a few when he returned; and a couple of posters have expressed that view again since his departure. In the six years in between? You could count the posts on one hand

Absolute drivel by the Ob, unsurprisingly

Unfortunately I think their ‘research’ will have been performed on Facebook. On a MEN article I read about him recently a few of the most prominent comments in the comments section were about not forgiving him for Barnsley - whether that was about him leaving for Barnsley or the 5-1 and then 6-0 there wasn’t clear though.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 19:10 - Mar 5 with 1475 viewssweetcorn

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 14:52 - Mar 5 by Ninco

I'm just as entitled to post on here as you are. You say I am making too many posts, but you are making negative responses to every one of them, so who is the obsessed one?

If you don't like what you see, scroll past. In fact, I will do it for you and pop you on ignore so you can't see any of them.

Enjoy the game Saturday.

Is ninco short for nincompoop? Oh sorry i thought we were being pathetic, so i had a go..

Classless thread and really not needed. Mind you dont get blisters on your hands whilst you’re w**king to the hill sacking articles.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 19:56 - Mar 5 with 1417 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 17:58 - Mar 5 by 442Dale

On that score, tomorrow’s Observer feels fit to say that “a number of them never forgave him for quitting Dale to take a shot at Championship management with Barnsley in 2011”. What number is this from their extensive research?

They're probably a bit narked at having to write something original.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 19:59 - Mar 5 with 1411 viewsD_Dale

Much of this comment might fit in with the 'good times' thread, but I'll add it here as a riposte to those who disapprove of speaking ill of the departed Hill.

First, there's Hilly's inconsistency. For example in his first season he fielded teams that achieved great results: 5-0 wins over MKD and Macclesfield, 4-0 vs Boston and 4-2 vs Accy Stanley. And best of all the 7-2 win at Stockport - although three days after that Dale lost 3-0 at Shrewsbury.

Then in the promotion season, when it looked as though Dale would top the division, only 4 points were gained from the last nine matches, allowing Notts C. to take top place with Bournemouth as runners-up.

Of course, the form of all teams varies, but under Hilly final scores were seldom predictable. This variability has been a feature of the current season - the hopes raised by the first home win, 3-0 vs Gillingham, and the back-to-back wins at Christmas over Southend and Blackpool, proved to be false dawns.

Second, the players signed during his first spell as manager were generally more fit for purpose (though credit to Steve Parkin for signings who flourished under Hill) than those of the last couple of seasons. In particular, Le Fondre, O'Grady, Dagnall and Murray were capable of some 20 goals a season. Except for Hogan, there hasn't in his second spell been a signing of their calibre. In the current, and previous three seasons, only Henderson has been capable of scoring league goals in double figures. Maybe there simply wasn't the talent to be found.

Although I don't think, in the remaining eleven matches, he would have won the 16/17 points needed to stay in L1 (I doubt any replacement will either), I'd have given him the chance to try.

I wonder whether Chris Dunphy would have done things differently.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 20:14 - Mar 5 with 1366 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 19:59 - Mar 5 by D_Dale

Much of this comment might fit in with the 'good times' thread, but I'll add it here as a riposte to those who disapprove of speaking ill of the departed Hill.

First, there's Hilly's inconsistency. For example in his first season he fielded teams that achieved great results: 5-0 wins over MKD and Macclesfield, 4-0 vs Boston and 4-2 vs Accy Stanley. And best of all the 7-2 win at Stockport - although three days after that Dale lost 3-0 at Shrewsbury.

Then in the promotion season, when it looked as though Dale would top the division, only 4 points were gained from the last nine matches, allowing Notts C. to take top place with Bournemouth as runners-up.

Of course, the form of all teams varies, but under Hilly final scores were seldom predictable. This variability has been a feature of the current season - the hopes raised by the first home win, 3-0 vs Gillingham, and the back-to-back wins at Christmas over Southend and Blackpool, proved to be false dawns.

Second, the players signed during his first spell as manager were generally more fit for purpose (though credit to Steve Parkin for signings who flourished under Hill) than those of the last couple of seasons. In particular, Le Fondre, O'Grady, Dagnall and Murray were capable of some 20 goals a season. Except for Hogan, there hasn't in his second spell been a signing of their calibre. In the current, and previous three seasons, only Henderson has been capable of scoring league goals in double figures. Maybe there simply wasn't the talent to be found.

Although I don't think, in the remaining eleven matches, he would have won the 16/17 points needed to stay in L1 (I doubt any replacement will either), I'd have given him the chance to try.

With all due respect you’re getting your seasons mixed up re the results and who Hill did and didn’t sign. I would also argue that the likes of Vincenti, Done second time and Mendes-Lang were superb signings.

The good times will far outweigh the bad times, although I think fitzochris was dead right in suggesting that if Hill continued there was a risk that the good times may have been somewhat lost.

I know what you mean though. I wonder if first time Hill, or even pre 2016 Hill, would have been quite so enamoured with the likes of McNulty, Andrew and Williams (11). Maybe, who knows? There does seem to have been a change in his outlook though over the last 2 years or so.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 20:37]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Login to get fewer ads

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 20:17 - Mar 5 with 1351 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 19:59 - Mar 5 by D_Dale

4-2 v Accy was in the 2009/10 promotion season, as linked elsewhere.

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:28 - Mar 5 with 1277 viewsD_Dale

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 20:17 - Mar 5 by TVOS1907

4-2 v Accy was in the 2009/10 promotion season, as linked elsewhere.

Though I bow to TVOS's mastery of all matters Dale, I have a note of a 4-2 win on 3 March 2007 (scorers Murray 2, Rundle and Le Fondre - Perkins, another great Hill signing, also played). I think Parkin signed Glenn Murray (at first on loan, from Carlisle?) though most of his Dale goals came under Hill. But I could have muddled dates and players.

I can't really speculate on the 'non-factual' reason(s) why Hill's almost magical abilities as a manager seemed to desert him.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:29 - Mar 5 with 1276 viewsdingdangblue

Far too many good times to worry about the bad times.
Ultimately Hill has ended up a victim of his own success. He told us to believe and we did and it was one hell of a ride.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 21:35]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:37 - Mar 5 with 1249 viewsMolly

Totally embarassing. It could be argued that the opening poster left the mpoop off his username.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:47 - Mar 5 with 1224 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:28 - Mar 5 by D_Dale

Though I bow to TVOS's mastery of all matters Dale, I have a note of a 4-2 win on 3 March 2007 (scorers Murray 2, Rundle and Le Fondre - Perkins, another great Hill signing, also played). I think Parkin signed Glenn Murray (at first on loan, from Carlisle?) though most of his Dale goals came under Hill. But I could have muddled dates and players.

I can't really speculate on the 'non-factual' reason(s) why Hill's almost magical abilities as a manager seemed to desert him.

Ah, fair enough, good call. Murray should have scored a hat-trick in that game, but missed a penalty. It was actually a 4-2 thrashing, although Coleman thought otherwise.

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 03:07 - Mar 6 with 1083 viewspioneer

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 21:29 - Mar 5 by dingdangblue

Far too many good times to worry about the bad times.
Ultimately Hill has ended up a victim of his own success. He told us to believe and we did and it was one hell of a ride.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2019 21:35]

Victim of his own success? Dont you think anybody else in charge with a record like the one we have this season would have been fired?

His previous success probably means he has already survived far longer than anyone else would. He has been sacked because of where we were and who took us there. Past success has nothing to do with it.
Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 07:33 - Mar 6 with 999 viewsdingdangblue

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 03:07 - Mar 6 by pioneer

Victim of his own success? Dont you think anybody else in charge with a record like the one we have this season would have been fired?

His previous success probably means he has already survived far longer than anyone else would. He has been sacked because of where we were and who took us there. Past success has nothing to do with it.

Yes,he's a victim of his own success. Before Hill would we ever have imagined 5 successive seasons in lge 1 (3 of those competing for the play offs)?
Even successfully staying up last season has cost him his job now - we could have been doing ok in league 2 this season instead of struggling in lge 1. Maybe he needed a change himself - maybe he has been here too long but personally I would have taken relegation and given him a chance to rebuild again next season. Im certainly more worried now than I was last week - even with the stability of Dunphy in charge last time we struggled badly to get over Hill leaving - now with the new regime running the club its going to be interesting to see how they cope. I really hope my worries are unfounded.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:11 - Mar 6 with 943 viewsMoonyDale

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 07:33 - Mar 6 by dingdangblue

Yes,he's a victim of his own success. Before Hill would we ever have imagined 5 successive seasons in lge 1 (3 of those competing for the play offs)?
Even successfully staying up last season has cost him his job now - we could have been doing ok in league 2 this season instead of struggling in lge 1. Maybe he needed a change himself - maybe he has been here too long but personally I would have taken relegation and given him a chance to rebuild again next season. Im certainly more worried now than I was last week - even with the stability of Dunphy in charge last time we struggled badly to get over Hill leaving - now with the new regime running the club its going to be interesting to see how they cope. I really hope my worries are unfounded.

Your point about doing ok in L2 rather than struggling in L1 saving Hill is interesting, it could well have done so. If we had gone down last season would this squad have been good enough to compete in L2? Am not so sure, I still think that something happened last week between Hill and the board (or a certain member of the board) for him to be fired at this stage of the season, those who have said the timing is all wrong might have a point......I keep coming back to Hillys interview and the home truths comment, i have a feeling he wasn't talking about the players.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:32 - Mar 6 with 900 viewsJames1980

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:11 - Mar 6 by MoonyDale

Your point about doing ok in L2 rather than struggling in L1 saving Hill is interesting, it could well have done so. If we had gone down last season would this squad have been good enough to compete in L2? Am not so sure, I still think that something happened last week between Hill and the board (or a certain member of the board) for him to be fired at this stage of the season, those who have said the timing is all wrong might have a point......I keep coming back to Hillys interview and the home truths comment, i have a feeling he wasn't talking about the players.....

Do you think comments by Hill, which could be summed up as we will always struggle to stay in league 1 unless there is a vast increase in spending. Was in part a public plea to the board?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:57 - Mar 6 with 854 viewsMoonyDale

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:32 - Mar 6 by James1980

Do you think comments by Hill, which could be summed up as we will always struggle to stay in league 1 unless there is a vast increase in spending. Was in part a public plea to the board?

Not sure Hilly would be so subtle James, he would probably just say it to their face. Which is what I think has happened during the previous week. If CD had still been at the helm this wouldn't have happened, he was given an increase in budget anyway this season so am not sure it was about funding, you can only do so much with gates like ours anyway.....We will have to wait and see what transpires re a new manager, I'm leaning towards BBM getting it for the remainder of the season ...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 11:19 - Mar 6 with 819 viewsdingdangblue

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 10:57 - Mar 6 by MoonyDale

Not sure Hilly would be so subtle James, he would probably just say it to their face. Which is what I think has happened during the previous week. If CD had still been at the helm this wouldn't have happened, he was given an increase in budget anyway this season so am not sure it was about funding, you can only do so much with gates like ours anyway.....We will have to wait and see what transpires re a new manager, I'm leaning towards BBM getting it for the remainder of the season ...

Thinking about it we have to show promotion form in our last 11 games - we need 5 wins (at least) and a draw. Yes there are very winnable games coming up including the next 2 home games but its a massive ask for anyone coming in at such short notice - they are on a hiding to nothing and will have a relegation on their cv. I cant see many people actually wanting it at this moment. See how it goes Saturday and play it from there.

Keith Hill - The Bad Times on 12:58 - Mar 6 with 726 viewsParkinsGimp

The mans arrogance knew no bounds. he is in the wrong job if he gets upset at a few fans having their well deserved pop.
God forbid he ever went to a much bigger club and told their fans to F Off , he might find himself in a bit of bother.
I dont blame him for the 5 year contract or the 10% cut of transfers( alledgely) , in business you ask for as much as you can get...I blame the man that authorised this and allowed him so much control over the club. The toxic atmosphere then spread throughout the whole club because of his power. He was a bully and I wonder how many good players we lost because of his attitude?
Thank you for what you did but it all went sour 2 years ago and needed surgery to remove him from his loved ones who look through pink trousers at him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024