Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm 14:21 - May 11 with 16077 viewsaleanddale

How well do you think Boris came across on Sunday night?.

Bit bizarre that instead of making things crystal clear and asking for another push together the whole charade was shrouded in ambiguity.

5/10 from me.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:34 - May 15 with 2497 viewsroccydaleian

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:28 - May 15 by rochdaleriddler

Your hero Boris is obese, same BMI as me, what a selfish bastard

Yeah he must be. Is he a type 2 diabetic?
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:39 - May 15 with 2479 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:34 - May 15 by roccydaleian

Yeah he must be. Is he a type 2 diabetic?

No idea, but he is obese and was badly infected by covid -19, must be his own fault. I’ve read he now plans a war on fat based on his scare
[Post edited 15 May 2020 12:40]

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:42 - May 15 with 2465 viewsroccydaleian

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:39 - May 15 by rochdaleriddler

No idea, but he is obese and was badly infected by covid -19, must be his own fault. I’ve read he now plans a war on fat based on his scare
[Post edited 15 May 2020 12:40]

Good, he’s doing something about it then, which is surely is to be congratulated.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:52 - May 15 with 2451 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:42 - May 15 by roccydaleian

Good, he’s doing something about it then, which is surely is to be congratulated.

Indeed, I’ve lost two stone this year, didn’t need to go into intensive care to realise I was too fat

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:56 - May 15 with 2441 viewsroccydaleian

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:52 - May 15 by rochdaleriddler

Indeed, I’ve lost two stone this year, didn’t need to go into intensive care to realise I was too fat

Excellent.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 17:25 - May 20 with 2275 viewsrochdaleriddler

Culture secretary leading the briefing today, I wonder what insight he will bring to the table . If the govt doesn’t want to do this anymore why not just stop? I just about understood the rotation when Johnson was Ill , but we only saw the Home Secretary fleetingly And not when questions are asked about borders.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:24 - May 21 with 2147 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I’m getting quite adept at understanding Boris now. Yesterday he said the UK will have a ‘world-beating’ track and tracing system.
Pop that into the Boris translator and you get ‘the tracking and tracing system won’t be ready by 1 June like we said.’
[Post edited 21 May 2020 9:24]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:12 - May 21 with 2095 viewsBartRowou

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:24 - May 21 by BigDaveMyCock

I’m getting quite adept at understanding Boris now. Yesterday he said the UK will have a ‘world-beating’ track and tracing system.
Pop that into the Boris translator and you get ‘the tracking and tracing system won’t be ready by 1 June like we said.’
[Post edited 21 May 2020 9:24]

World beating
I think the country just wants one that works.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Login to get fewer ads

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:23 - May 21 with 2039 viewsaleanddale

Google Southend Beach yesterday.

Staggering levels of stupidity on show I thought it had to be archived footage from summer 2018 or 19 but apparently not.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:06 - May 21 with 2004 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:23 - May 21 by aleanddale

Google Southend Beach yesterday.

Staggering levels of stupidity on show I thought it had to be archived footage from summer 2018 or 19 but apparently not.

This stuff is going on everywhere A&D

Italy is reportedly opening beaches/resorts/tourism/flights in a couple of weeks.

The Americans are a whole other level of stupidity though - pity you can't vaccinate against stupid

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:24 - Jun 10 with 1866 viewstony_roch975

Another classic from Boris tonight - as I live alone and have 2 children, each with a child, he has given me the wonderful option of choosing one over the other for my 'bubble' - picture the scene - we meet up in a garden or park & I hug one of my children & grandchildren but have to avoid touching the other...does he even do the basic thinking about the consequences of his proclamations? Calling him a buffoon is unfair on asses. I know this isn't my usual attempt at balance but I'm so angry.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 20:38 - Jun 10 with 1753 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:24 - Jun 10 by tony_roch975

Another classic from Boris tonight - as I live alone and have 2 children, each with a child, he has given me the wonderful option of choosing one over the other for my 'bubble' - picture the scene - we meet up in a garden or park & I hug one of my children & grandchildren but have to avoid touching the other...does he even do the basic thinking about the consequences of his proclamations? Calling him a buffoon is unfair on asses. I know this isn't my usual attempt at balance but I'm so angry.

You’ll be saying this is another change not thought through next, all kids back at school for 4 weeks before September ?!!!!

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 21:04 - Jun 10 with 1705 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:24 - Jun 10 by tony_roch975

There are rules and there are interpretation of rules.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 06:38 - Jun 11 with 1551 viewsBartRowou

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 20:38 - Jun 10 by rochdaleriddler

You’ll be saying this is another change not thought through next, all kids back at school for 4 weeks before September ?!!!!

The schools situation sums up their thinking.
They were presented with seven different scenarios by Sage and decided to go with number eight (their own) BECAUSE WE KNOW BEST.
They chose not to fully engage with unions and heads which led to the likes of the Daily Mail getting on board ("Give Our Teachers the Opportunity to be Martyrs" "We will Clap their Coffins") which led to parents being totally confused/worried/angry.
So now parents can take children to a drive-thru movie and the zoo but, with a few exceptions, not to school.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 06:53 - Jun 11 with 1543 viewsfrenzied

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 21:04 - Jun 10 by DaleiLama

quite agree..

its a case of common sense..i don't think Boris or anyone can come up with a guideline that covers all scenarios

For me its,,wash your hands ..social distance where you can..keep surfaces as clean as poss...does it happen 100% of the time?..NO...i like others am doing the best i can
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:19 - Jun 11 with 1494 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 06:53 - Jun 11 by frenzied

quite agree..

its a case of common sense..i don't think Boris or anyone can come up with a guideline that covers all scenarios

For me its,,wash your hands ..social distance where you can..keep surfaces as clean as poss...does it happen 100% of the time?..NO...i like others am doing the best i can

Absolutely. We're all playing Russian roulette to some extent.

From a personal point of view, some of those rounds will be live, some will be live but will only injure you and others will be blanks. Then there are the ones that go off and kill others.

This whole thing is a percentage game - you have to play the percentages as much as you can as you pointed out. Think of it as taking bullets out of the chamber every time you use your common sense and do the best you can. There can't be a one size fits all solution to something with so many moving parts - only guidelines (see Tony's earlier comments). Laura (many-faced) Kuenssberg happened on the right summary on the news last night after nicking a line from Chris Whitty - there are no comfortable options for the PM/government.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:42 - Jun 11 with 1470 viewsaleanddale

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 06:53 - Jun 11 by frenzied

quite agree..

Exactly this.

Social distance as best you can.

Cover mouth and nose in public.

Wash your hands ( a lot ) and properly.

Clean work surfaces.

Be respectful to others when out and about.

Hug your parents AND your kids / grandkids if no one has any symptoms.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:51 - Jun 11 with 1452 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:42 - Jun 11 by aleanddale

Exactly this.

Social distance as best you can.

Cover mouth and nose in public.

Wash your hands ( a lot ) and properly.

Clean work surfaces.

Be respectful to others when out and about.

Hug your parents AND your kids / grandkids if no one has any symptoms.

With regards to your last paragraph, you really need to take into consideration the age and health of your parents prior to hugging them. Ditto with grandparents and grandchildren.
Also, you can have and spread Covid prior to displaying symptoms.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 8:52]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:17 - Jun 11 with 1419 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 21:04 - Jun 10 by DaleiLama

Interesting to read several posts advocating ignoring the rules/making your own judgements - my view too but under the Govt rules from Saturday it will be illegal to hug 2 grandkids from different households and wasn't there outrage at Dominic Cummings for making his own interpretation of the rules?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:43 - Jun 11 with 1386 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:51 - Jun 11 by BigDaveMyCock

With regards to your last paragraph, you really need to take into consideration the age and health of your parents prior to hugging them. Ditto with grandparents and grandchildren.
Also, you can have and spread Covid prior to displaying symptoms.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 8:52]

My thoughts entirely. On the news last night, they "speculated" (in an educated way) that ~40% of Covid-19 positive tests in the general population were asymptomatic. Actual measured figures from a care home by testing every resident and carer were 52% positive and asymptomatic. Numbers on the Diamond Princess were 75% asymptomatic tested positive. It has not yet been established how contagious those positive asymptomatic carriers are but again, they speculated there is a considerable risk. Airborne contagion is thought to be most prolific, but contact contagion is still thought to be a major risk factor.

I wouldn't want to be going any nearer than 2m to a person 70+ unless I has been in isolation and asymptomatic for 2 weeks. At a socially distanced garden party for my g/fs mum recently, we got her a new handbag and she got upset, so obviously her daughter reacted instinctively and hugged her. I admonished her gently whilst cringing inside. Her mum had a shielding letter which was later rescinded, but she is still at greater risk than others of her age due to underlying health conditions.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:59 - Jun 11 with 1363 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:17 - Jun 11 by tony_roch975

Interesting to read several posts advocating ignoring the rules/making your own judgements - my view too but under the Govt rules from Saturday it will be illegal to hug 2 grandkids from different households and wasn't there outrage at Dominic Cummings for making his own interpretation of the rules?

I think the difference with Cummings is he was positive and symptomatic. And dishing out the "rules" on one hand and breaking them on the other.

I am not suggesting courses of action for you, but if you live on your own and socially distance, you are certainly going to be "low risk" in terms of spreading the infection. You have to judge the "risk" with your children's domestic set-up, then decide if you are comfortable with that. It is of course a risk to your own health, but also a potential risk to the NHS.

Speaking personally, I live on my own too, have asthma and self-isolated for three weeks after lockdown seeing no-one and going out for essentials only. I was very concerned after recently battling pneumonia and have been shopping/to chemist probably only about 8 times since lockdown started. I have, however, been travelling to my g/fs latterly and staying with her in spite of the government guidelines. She was also living on her own and self-isolating so I assessed the risk as very low to both of us (we both work from home now). I never go to crowded areas and wear a mask and gloves when out and keep a distance of 3m+ if I possibly can. Maybe I will be judged as irresponsible as a result, but I felt the risks were "manageable and contained" in my case. I also know of many, many others who have taken far, far greater risks than I have done so far. Not using that as a justification for my situation (which becomes legal on Saturday - hmmmmm) but I feel that I have exercised more social and personal responsibility than Cummings.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 10:01]

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:10 - Jun 11 with 1318 viewsNigeriamark

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:43 - Jun 11 by DaleiLama

My thoughts entirely. On the news last night, they "speculated" (in an educated way) that ~40% of Covid-19 positive tests in the general population were asymptomatic. Actual measured figures from a care home by testing every resident and carer were 52% positive and asymptomatic. Numbers on the Diamond Princess were 75% asymptomatic tested positive. It has not yet been established how contagious those positive asymptomatic carriers are but again, they speculated there is a considerable risk. Airborne contagion is thought to be most prolific, but contact contagion is still thought to be a major risk factor.

I wouldn't want to be going any nearer than 2m to a person 70+ unless I has been in isolation and asymptomatic for 2 weeks. At a socially distanced garden party for my g/fs mum recently, we got her a new handbag and she got upset, so obviously her daughter reacted instinctively and hugged her. I admonished her gently whilst cringing inside. Her mum had a shielding letter which was later rescinded, but she is still at greater risk than others of her age due to underlying health conditions.

The 2m point you bring up will be the next big debating point for the government. It will have been a key reason on the school situation falling through & I genuinely can't see how most pubs/restaurants & a number of other businesses cabn operate under 2m. Like the schools issue, some of the press are now getting on the backs of government for these businesses going to the wall, but if they move to 1m while there are some infections no matter how much lower, they will be then on their backs for going to 1m to soon

Clearly 1 m will have some negative effect compared to 2m even if the numbers are of a much lower base, but that has to be balanced with the harm of continuing with 2m for say another 2 or 3 months
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:18 - Jun 11 with 1309 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:10 - Jun 11 by Nigeriamark

The 2m point you bring up will be the next big debating point for the government. It will have been a key reason on the school situation falling through & I genuinely can't see how most pubs/restaurants & a number of other businesses cabn operate under 2m. Like the schools issue, some of the press are now getting on the backs of government for these businesses going to the wall, but if they move to 1m while there are some infections no matter how much lower, they will be then on their backs for going to 1m to soon

Clearly 1 m will have some negative effect compared to 2m even if the numbers are of a much lower base, but that has to be balanced with the harm of continuing with 2m for say another 2 or 3 months

good post, think even 1 mtr won't allow full school rolls return but agree most leisure & hospitality industry won't be viable with any social distancing. Heard the hospital admission numbers are already rising, as predicted, 2 weeks after the first lockdown easing.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:21 - Jun 11 with 1278 viewsD_Alien

"Like the schools issue, some of the press are now getting on the backs of government for these businesses going to the wall, but if they move to 1m while there are some infections no matter how much lower, they will be then on their backs for going to 1m to soon"

Perfectly summed up

The 2m/1m guideline, as the CSA explained (again) during yesterday's briefing, isn't a "rule" but simply an expression of lesser risk/greater risk - see also Dalei_Lama's points regarding risk. Using basic common sense is going to have just as great an impact as following guidance

Meanwhile, the press continue with their two-faced attacks under the pretence of "holding the government to account"

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:16 - Jun 11 with 1224 viewsDaleiLama

I do wonder if part of keeping the 2m rule in place is because they don't want to have to increase it again in the future and make the message any more fuzzy than it already is. If, as CW alluded to last night, there is a second wave in the winter combined with cough, colds, sneezing etc it could be a field day for Covid.

As you say though, 1m is a game changer for both business and social lives. I suspect that BJ is erring on the side of caution now after failing to do so when it would have mattered a lot more. But then what does Joe Public know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024