Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR: History of the Spotland area 10:52 - May 30 with 8853 viewsSheffdale

One of my projects at the moment is trying to add context to my family history. I was brought up in the Spotland area and both grandparents were local. My ggf (William Robert Ashworth) was in the early 20th century the owner of Foot Mill, described as a mill beside the first bend of the river north of Spotland Bridge. I can see it on an 1850 map. As it's going to be some while before I am over that way I wonder if anyone walks around there? I suspect it's part of the Healey Dell Nature Reserve. If you do could you look around for any evidence of the mill being there and let me know. I expect many of us have ancestors in the Spotland area so who knows this could be a close season thread! My other ggf (James Goodwin) was a gardener for George Kemp, who became the first Lord Rochdale, so I have been in touch with the current Lord Rochdale and we are now on first name terms don't you know!
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 23:04 - Jun 1 with 2480 viewsncfc_chalky

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:13 - Jun 1 by judd

Get him told, chalky lad.

By the way, they weren't cotton mills. They were brick.

I wouldn't dare tell kel what to do as he would soon put me in my place
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 23:05]

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 11:08 - Jun 2 with 2345 viewsDaleiLama

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:34 - Jun 1 by D_Alien

Missed this earlier!

I've since been advised by my lawyer to respond to all questioning with "No comment", but just in case, the petition that i know you'll all want to sign should be headed: Free the Foot Mill Two

I see they've managed to smuggle a phone into you whilst helping HMP with their enquiries so you can't be in solitary (unless you've requested it!)

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 11:35 - Jun 2 with 2322 viewsD_Alien

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 11:08 - Jun 2 by DaleiLama

I see they've managed to smuggle a phone into you whilst helping HMP with their enquiries so you can't be in solitary (unless you've requested it!)

HMP haven't yet anticipated what aliens can do through thought kinesis

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 12:09 - Jun 2 with 2304 viewsfinberty

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:43 - Jun 1 by Molly

"Heap" or Samuel Heaps Ltd was a dyeworks situated at the bottom end of Rooley Moor Road where it joins Ings Lane. It was a part of Courtaulds and was certainly still operating in the early 1970s. It was located in a three storey building which around 2000 was being used as a fitness/health club.

Bit of a guess, but if you look at the photo image EPW045810 which shows TBA, the Heap site will be at the bottom left, just out of shot.

There are other images on the earlier link showing Heap's, but without the context of where it stands.

The site remains - part of it is now Pennine Fencing and there are other industrial users further up the site.

It used to have a distinctive chimney up until the 1990s.

I remember in the late 70s delivering milk in the area, when two steeplejacks were working on the 'drum' at the top of said chimney. I distinctly remember hearing their haunting shouts drifting in the wind from 200 feet up, and when we looked up we could see that the scaffolding was tilting and one of the uprights leaning out at a crazy angle. The shouts sounded terrified. This was pre-mobile phone days and possibly they had no radio communication either, so were left to shout to whoever was on the ground for help. My boss decided that 'they know what they're doing' and we cracked on regardless. As we went on with the round, looking back in the distance the men at the top could still be seen, and heard, more distantly. No ambulances or anything could be heard, and despite the work ceasing over the next days, the Observer didn't report anything amiss. A few weeks later a steel liner could be seen protruding from the chimney top, so whatever the problem was on that day, nobody fell off and the job was completed.

I can still recall the sound of their voices though.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 15:13]
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 15:08 - Jun 4 with 2110 viewsD_Alien

Turned out nice at Turners, down in the woods!

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 15:58 - Jun 4 with 2078 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 15:08 - Jun 4 by D_Alien

Yes, we came to a collective agreement as to where the old mill would have been and then spent the rest of the time reminiscing about 'Dale teams of bygone years. At least it didn't rain.
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 17:13 - Jun 4 with 2026 viewsDaleiLama

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 15:08 - Jun 4 by D_Alien

You may not have been alone ..............

If you went down in the woods today
You were lucky you had the chance
You'd surely social distance.

For every Daley ever there was
Had gathered there for certain
Because today's the day the
Daley Boys had their picnic

Picnic time for Daley Boys
The TDS and Sandy Lane were having
A lovely time today
Watch them, making lots of noise
And see them picnic on their away day

Hear them suss that factory out
Then reminisce and sometimes shout
They always make lots of noise
When the awayday’s at an end
The pub is shut - what a bind
Because they're wired little Daley Boys

Every Daley Boy who's been good
Was sure of a treat today
Lots of great memories to share
And wonderful teams they saw play
Beneath the trees where nobody sees
They'll chat and sigh as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the
Daley Boys have their picnic

A lovely time today

See them suss that factory out
They always make lost of noise

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 18:36 - Jun 4 with 1979 viewsD_Alien

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 17:13 - Jun 4 by DaleiLama

You may not have been alone ..............

You were lucky you had the chance
You'd surely social distance.

For every Daley ever there was
Had gathered there for certain
Because today's the day the
Daley Boys had their picnic

A lovely time today

Hear them suss that factory out
They always make lots of noise

Every Daley Boy who's been good
Was sure of a treat today
Lots of great memories to share
And wonderful teams they saw play
Beneath the trees where nobody sees
They'll chat and sigh as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the
Daley Boys have their picnic

A lovely time today

See them suss that factory out
They always make lost of noise

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er Dale until
The ming appeared - we laughed out loud
And pondered on the old Foot Mill;
Besides the weir, beneath the trees
For half an hour, to shoot the breeze

[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 18:37]

Login to get fewer ads

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 19:37 - Jun 4 with 1944 viewsmingthemerciless

I dare say we'd have still been reminiscing if the pubs had have still be open !
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 19:39]
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 21:34 - Jun 4 with 1898 viewsSheffdale

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 19:37 - Jun 4 by mingthemerciless

I dare say we'd have still been reminiscing if the pubs had have still be open !

Thanks again and I hope to buy you and D_Alien a well earned pint when I'm next coming over. In gloomy moments I think I'll have plenty of time to save up. Now my other ggf was James the gardener and he migrated around late 1860s rom Great Ashfield in Suffolk. Where's SuffolkDale when you need him?
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 21:45 - Jun 4 with 1882 viewsjudd

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 21:34 - Jun 4 by Sheffdale

Thanks again and I hope to buy you and D_Alien a well earned pint when I'm next coming over. In gloomy moments I think I'll have plenty of time to save up. Now my other ggf was James the gardener and he migrated around late 1860s rom Great Ashfield in Suffolk. Where's SuffolkDale when you need him?

He's lost near the River Spodden

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:26 - Jun 4 with 1844 viewsD_Alien

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 19:37 - Jun 4 by mingthemerciless

Apologies, accidentally voted down after voting up earlier, must've been due to DL's fabled spindly fingers

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:28 - Jun 4 with 1842 viewsDaleiLama

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:26 - Jun 4 by D_Alien

Apologies, accidentally voted down after voting up earlier, must've been due to DL's fabled spindly fingers

Good for phoning home too!

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:30 - Jun 4 with 1838 viewsDaleiLama

He heard about this being on tap (12% abv)? In the immortal words of Oates ……. he may be some time.

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:37 - Jun 4 with 1831 viewsmingthemerciless

Well we are both sure we know where the old mill used to be so if you do come over it won't be a wasted journey.
I was surprised to see a gasometer on the 1850's map, I didn't realise that they had such things in that era. Although the area is pretty well over grown we discovered a large circle in the ground in a sort of clearing. Could it have been the site of the old gasometer ?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 22:39]
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 23:35 - Jun 4 with 1804 viewsD_Alien

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 22:37 - Jun 4 by mingthemerciless

Well we are both sure we know where the old mill used to be so if you do come over it won't be a wasted journey.
I was surprised to see a gasometer on the 1850's map, I didn't realise that they had such things in that era. Although the area is pretty well over grown we discovered a large circle in the ground in a sort of clearing. Could it have been the site of the old gasometer ?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 22:39]

I'm inclined to think so, it's the only explanation for that circular feature, probably about 25-30ft in diameter? Relatively small compared to the one that used to be near Sparthbottoms but just for local industrial use. The two may have been linked via the gas network

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 08:43 - Jun 5 with 1742 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 23:35 - Jun 4 by D_Alien

I'm inclined to think so, it's the only explanation for that circular feature, probably about 25-30ft in diameter? Relatively small compared to the one that used to be near Sparthbottoms but just for local industrial use. The two may have been linked via the gas network

Going off the old map the circle appeared to be about the right size. As you say it was probably for industrial purposes.
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 09:40 - Jun 5 with 1724 viewssuffolkdale

I am here! A fascinating tale, coupled with educated 'ramblings' on all sides.....
Great Ashfield is a village about 10 miles from here, deep in West Suffolk - a church , village hall but no pub these days. It about 2 miles from Elmswell which is on the A14 and the rail line, and Elmswell has expanded greatly in recent years.
Ironically a good friend of ours lives in a converted barn in Great Ashfield, and it is a largely agricultural area. Next time we are around we will wander through the churchyard looking for Goodwins!
Our local pub has converted to a shop during lockdown and has been selling take away beer and food so we can assure you of a warm socially distanced welcome down here, when of course you are 'released' from Yorkshire for good behaviour...….
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 10:00]
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 13:31 - Jun 26 with 1551 viewsJames1980

http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/135151/historic-mill-

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 06:10 - Jun 28 with 1419 viewsYadHoDale

NFR: History of the Spotland area on 13:31 - Jun 26 by James1980

http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/135151/historic-mill-

Great thread.

Very interesting regarding the mills and their history. AFAIK the cotton industry developed on the West Side of the pennines, due to the damp atmospheric conditions making it less likely that the spun threads would snap. Before cotton was imported from America woolens were manufactured. - using, as has been mentioned, water power from the many local streams and rivers. It would seem sensible to repurpose some of these abandoned sites for hydroelectric power generation, like the one in Rochdale Town Centre...

I'll also throw my hat into the ring as having Suffolk ancestors, although further to the east. One of my great great grandfather's was a fisherman, drowned off Southwold in 1868. His son moved to Goole in Yorkshire, to work on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway's shipping services. (All the rest of my ancestors since 1750 are good Yorkshire folk, except for one great great grandmother from Edwinstowe in Notts, which is getting on for Chalky territory :).)

I've never been to East Suffolk - so Leiston away in R1 of next season's FA Cup would do nicely.
NFR: History of the Spotland area on 08:04 - Jun 28 with 1394 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/135165/rochdale-

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024