Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC 12:21 - Feb 18 with 9035 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 16:53 - Feb 18 with 2901 viewsjimmysbaldhead

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 16:36 - Feb 18 by jimmysbaldhead

Can't read it. I can't cope with white writing on a black background. I think its called astigmatism. It just gets blurry. I've tried copying the text out in to word but it just copies the background with it.

Sorted it. Managed to copy the text without the background.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 16:58 - Feb 18 with 2875 viewsTVOS1907

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 15:50 - Feb 18 by TomRAFC

By "used in", I assume you mean the publication and not the person?

Well I've been feeling a bit ropey these past few days, so you never know.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 17:04 - Feb 18 with 2835 viewsTVOS1907

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 15:55 - Feb 18 by BigKindo

Is that true or is it an Apochropha?

It's definitely true.

It could have been that Scrutator bloke, but I think I used it myself.

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 17:06 - Feb 18 with 2823 viewsTVOS1907

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 16:30 - Feb 18 by kel

Too tight to buy it

Surely someone in the Cem Clique had a copy?

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:15 - Feb 18 with 2506 viewsCedar_Room

Great read that and I think it further confirms my association between BBM and Steve Eyre that I put on another thread (Eyre was sacked for winning only 4 games in 21 - BBM has won 3 of our last 22).
BBM seems to be a genuine nice guy.
Eyre too was by all accounts a genuine nice guy. But he was a nice guy completely out of his depth without the skills required to do this job at this club. If we could recognise that a few years ago and do something about it swiftly then how can we accept this current dross now??
I fear that the decision has already been made to keep BBM come what may - hence why he was backed (to some extent) in the transfer window when that would have been the ideal time to get a new manager in.
Ultimately we have to conclude that the board doesn’t particularly care one way or the other whether we stay in L1 - but it’s a dangerous assumption that so may diehard fans will simply hand over their season ticket money regardless of what division we are in. As has been noted many times across many threads - fans have simply gotten out of the habit and it will be difficult to tempt people back next season especially if it’s for a drop in quality.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:21 - Feb 18 with 2481 viewsSandyman

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:15 - Feb 18 by Cedar_Room

Great read that and I think it further confirms my association between BBM and Steve Eyre that I put on another thread (Eyre was sacked for winning only 4 games in 21 - BBM has won 3 of our last 22).
Eyre too was by all accounts a genuine nice guy. But he was a nice guy completely out of his depth without the skills required to do this job at this club. If we could recognise that a few years ago and do something about it swiftly then how can we accept this current dross now??
I fear that the decision has already been made to keep BBM come what may - hence why he was backed (to some extent) in the transfer window when that would have been the ideal time to get a new manager in.
Ultimately we have to conclude that the board doesn’t particularly care one way or the other whether we stay in L1 - but it’s a dangerous assumption that so may diehard fans will simply hand over their season ticket money regardless of what division we are in. As has been noted many times across many threads - fans have simply gotten out of the habit and it will be difficult to tempt people back next season especially if it’s for a drop in quality.

This.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:33 - Feb 18 with 2425 viewsDaleiLama

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:15 - Feb 18 by Cedar_Room

With respect, Judd pasted a Forbes interview on p2 of the Sporting Director thread from our very own CEO who stated (last para):

“If I’m being brutally honest, that was one of the issues that was facing the club anyway. A lot of our white, male, over-70-years old fans will probably not come back to football. We’re already seeing that in season ticket renewals, as many of the 65+ age group have not renewed season tickets because they were concerned anyhow (about the pandemic). In the long term, it’s interesting because my goal is to make us a family club and the best family club at whatever level of football we’re playing at, but for now, I think a lot of people will have got out of the habit.”

So I don't think the issue of fan retention is one that is going to take the board by surprise. They've lost lots of traditional fans and will no doubt lose more post-pandemic and there doesn't appear to be a lot of evidence that "children are the future" at least in terms of boosting number at RAFC. The question is can they or will they do anything about this whole mess. It remains to be seen if the Chairman standing down is the first domino to fall in this connection or just a coincidence and we continue with the ostrich approach of maintaining L1 status.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:45 - Feb 18 with 2392 viewsjudd

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 21:33 - Feb 18 by DaleiLama

With respect, Judd pasted a Forbes interview on p2 of the Sporting Director thread from our very own CEO who stated (last para):

“If I’m being brutally honest, that was one of the issues that was facing the club anyway. A lot of our white, male, over-70-years old fans will probably not come back to football. We’re already seeing that in season ticket renewals, as many of the 65+ age group have not renewed season tickets because they were concerned anyhow (about the pandemic). In the long term, it’s interesting because my goal is to make us a family club and the best family club at whatever level of football we’re playing at, but for now, I think a lot of people will have got out of the habit.”

So I don't think the issue of fan retention is one that is going to take the board by surprise. They've lost lots of traditional fans and will no doubt lose more post-pandemic and there doesn't appear to be a lot of evidence that "children are the future" at least in terms of boosting number at RAFC. The question is can they or will they do anything about this whole mess. It remains to be seen if the Chairman standing down is the first domino to fall in this connection or just a coincidence and we continue with the ostrich approach of maintaining L1 status.

Doesn't do irony

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 22:15 - Feb 18 with 2326 viewsCedar_Room

Maybe it doesn’t matter what division we are in and fans will have been lost completely anyway. Indeed this could be precisely what the board are thinking so why go to the expense of fighting to keep us in L1 when it will make no material difference to our attendances? I don’t know if that’s right but you’d have to think people are more likely to turn up for L1 football than L2. It also doesn’t fill you with much hope for the future or see any long term reason to stick around a club who has no ambition beyond basic survival.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 22:37 - Feb 18 with 2261 views49thseason

To an extent, if we lose a few hundred Dale fans is immaterial, losing 3,500 Sunderland fans and some good local derbys might actually cost more when you take the cost of tickets into account.
The problem is 100 years of low achievement, too few tales of derring-do to pass on to our children and grand children. Too many "safety- first" decisions , too many fears of failure. The habit of attending games has to be restored and then extended. People want to see a winning team by any means, tidy, passing football is OK if you win, if you dont win its bollox, a pointless exercise. Paying fans have to be entertained, excited, they want fullblooded, all action games, not sterile pass pass pass ... go a goal down in the first 5 minutes.... lose 4-1
We dont need to pander to the idea of selling a player every season if there are 5000 fans at every home game. So the Board has to be challenged to find 1500-2000 new supporters x 23 games. Thats the whole deal, deliver on that and everything else is easy.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 23:06 - Feb 18 with 2202 viewsDalenet

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 22:37 - Feb 18 by 49thseason

To an extent, if we lose a few hundred Dale fans is immaterial, losing 3,500 Sunderland fans and some good local derbys might actually cost more when you take the cost of tickets into account.
The problem is 100 years of low achievement, too few tales of derring-do to pass on to our children and grand children. Too many "safety- first" decisions , too many fears of failure. The habit of attending games has to be restored and then extended. People want to see a winning team by any means, tidy, passing football is OK if you win, if you dont win its bollox, a pointless exercise. Paying fans have to be entertained, excited, they want fullblooded, all action games, not sterile pass pass pass ... go a goal down in the first 5 minutes.... lose 4-1
We dont need to pander to the idea of selling a player every season if there are 5000 fans at every home game. So the Board has to be challenged to find 1500-2000 new supporters x 23 games. Thats the whole deal, deliver on that and everything else is easy.

The loss of income by dropping a division is worth more than our total gate receipts. I think it was said when we sacked Hill that the loss of Premiership TV money, sponsorship and away gates was worth £1.5m if we dropped to League Two. We couldn't replace that loss of income even if we doubled our home support.

I really do worry about the sustainability of the club if we get relegated
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 23:59 - Feb 18 with 2143 viewsSandyman

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 23:06 - Feb 18 by Dalenet

The loss of income by dropping a division is worth more than our total gate receipts. I think it was said when we sacked Hill that the loss of Premiership TV money, sponsorship and away gates was worth £1.5m if we dropped to League Two. We couldn't replace that loss of income even if we doubled our home support.

I really do worry about the sustainability of the club if we get relegated

Agreed. I think all of us on this forum (correct me if wrong) are very concerned about the loss of money from non-Dale sources should we get relegated. The way to negate that is to avoid relegation, but the people who should have that as their major concern as employees and custodians of the club seem to think the unacceptable home form that has put RAFC where it is, is OK. No need for change or additions to the squad that meet the oft spoken of requirements that stop us being the smallest, slowest team in the league. Lets get a few boutique signings behind the scenes instead. Keep the "bright young manager" with "the fewest home wins in the professional football pyramid of 156 clubs" (Mark H) and who has won one in the last eleven. His record alone is unacceptable.
Behind the scenes shenanigans and rubbish on the pitch will drive people away. The reputation of RAFC as a "well run club" is getting more tattered by the day. And there's a few people drawing wages from RAFC who seemingly CBA about addressing the situation. Those wages won't last long with less money coming in.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 10:01 - Feb 19 with 1817 viewsSaxonDale

Don’t agree with all of it, but a very good read none the less. Thanks to Fitzo again for sharing it.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 10:41 - Feb 19 with 1739 viewsBobbyjoe

Et Tu, Brute!
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:00 - Feb 19 with 1694 viewsfinberty

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 23:59 - Feb 18 by Sandyman

Agreed. I think all of us on this forum (correct me if wrong) are very concerned about the loss of money from non-Dale sources should we get relegated. The way to negate that is to avoid relegation, but the people who should have that as their major concern as employees and custodians of the club seem to think the unacceptable home form that has put RAFC where it is, is OK. No need for change or additions to the squad that meet the oft spoken of requirements that stop us being the smallest, slowest team in the league. Lets get a few boutique signings behind the scenes instead. Keep the "bright young manager" with "the fewest home wins in the professional football pyramid of 156 clubs" (Mark H) and who has won one in the last eleven. His record alone is unacceptable.
Behind the scenes shenanigans and rubbish on the pitch will drive people away. The reputation of RAFC as a "well run club" is getting more tattered by the day. And there's a few people drawing wages from RAFC who seemingly CBA about addressing the situation. Those wages won't last long with less money coming in.

Agree with this.

Also, the fact that people seem to be asleep at the wheel. As a fan, I am reassured that we are 'insured' against relegation oblivion by being in L1 not L2. The drop from L2 will finish the club in its current form, I have no doubt about that unfortunately.

I do not want to chance one relegation if it can be avoided, and it certainly can be.

The current team has a losing mentality, appears to lack physical and mental stamina, and is in something of a death spiral. Every club knows our weaknesses.

On that basis, why is it supposed that we will fare any better in L2? We may still have the same manager, a decent man, espousing the same flawed philosophy, with, presumably, much of the same dispirited personnel, or disinterested loanees.

Whereas now we are flirting with the foot of L1, I can see us flirting with the foot of L2 for exactly the same reasons next time around if things don't change, and fast.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:43 - Feb 19 with 1621 viewsJames1980

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:00 - Feb 19 by finberty

Agree with this.

Also, the fact that people seem to be asleep at the wheel. As a fan, I am reassured that we are 'insured' against relegation oblivion by being in L1 not L2. The drop from L2 will finish the club in its current form, I have no doubt about that unfortunately.

I do not want to chance one relegation if it can be avoided, and it certainly can be.

The current team has a losing mentality, appears to lack physical and mental stamina, and is in something of a death spiral. Every club knows our weaknesses.

On that basis, why is it supposed that we will fare any better in L2? We may still have the same manager, a decent man, espousing the same flawed philosophy, with, presumably, much of the same dispirited personnel, or disinterested loanees.

Whereas now we are flirting with the foot of L1, I can see us flirting with the foot of L2 for exactly the same reasons next time around if things don't change, and fast.

Football players aren't mindless automatons and we have seen from other clubs that off field issues can cause problems on the pitch as well.That was why I made the rallying call on another thread.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:59 - Feb 19 with 1592 viewsAtThePeake

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:00 - Feb 19 by finberty

Agree with this.

For what it's worth, I do think we'd do okay in League Two. I think the style of play is one suited to team that has more individual quality than it's opponents and if we kept the majority of the squad it would be one of the better ones in L2. The style of play is not one suited to a relegation battle whatsoever though and being adaptable to the situation should be part of the manager's job (especially when everyone expected a relegation battle before the season began).

Tangled up in blue.

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 12:35 - Feb 19 with 1507 viewssxdale

Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 11:59 - Feb 19 by AtThePeake

For what it's worth, I do think we'd do okay in League Two. I think the style of play is one suited to team that has more individual quality than it's opponents and if we kept the majority of the squad it would be one of the better ones in L2. The style of play is not one suited to a relegation battle whatsoever though and being adaptable to the situation should be part of the manager's job (especially when everyone expected a relegation battle before the season began).

Agree with what you say but that is a very big if.
The board claim financial prudence to ensure the long term survival of the club but this appears to be only with regard to on field activities whilst the expansion of the off field team continues apace.
Got rid of all out of contract players at the earliest opportunity, were among the last to bring staff off furlough and back into training.
To be fair I thought recruitment was reasonable (rightback issues aside)
My fear is that if we go down all saleable assets will be got rid of for a pittance further demoralising players and fans alike and we end up a negative downward spiral, scrapping it out to stay in the league next season.
Mark Hodkinson on the current state of things at RAFC on 15:26 - Feb 19 with 1332 viewswatford_dale

Fantastic post.

I was hoping our financial prudence may save us but my interest went stratospheric with mention of a budget busting suicide pact between clubs, I really want to see how this plays out. A suicide pact with the only way out by throwing yourself at the mercy of a tory government???? What could go wrong.

The 10th tier of football (where clubs go to rise from the ashes) will have one hell of a population explosion next season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024