Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clueless 17:13 - Nov 13 with 10219 viewsoddjob007

Never have I felt so little emotion from a late equaliser.

Passing accuracy was abysmal.
Far too many passengers in the team.
Dorsett is awful, he has no awareness and can’t pass for toffee.
Midfield was non existent. The tactic of Morley passing it to Kelly and trying to attack down the left side failed time after time.
Substitutions were bizarre and it was completely predictable that we would wait for them to score.
Stockdale may as well not be there on the touch line, he offers nothing.
Officials were poor. Bottled 2 red cards and some of the yellow cards made no sense.

Credit to O’Connell and Done for at least trying.

Another result that papers over the cracks.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2021 17:14]
Clueless on 13:11 - Nov 16 with 3461 viewsdawlishdale

Clueless on 12:31 - Nov 16 by pioneer

And another “agree” from me

Unbeaten in last 5 league games, nine points taken.

From all accounts the football is not quite Brazil yet but think where we were at the end of June.

We appear to have some stability throughout the club, respect for the fans is back from both the board and manager.

Bottom line is these were probably the only players we could afford and the boss is doing what he can with the cards he has been played. Yes he is making mistakes and learning, (i find that is also something I do…you never stop making mistakes ) maybe sometimes not as quick as we would like, but results count.

If you want to know what real dross is take a look at our results in 1973-4 or 1976-7 (among other futile seasons). In the latter we managed to finish 18th somehow. But workington were truly awful, finished rock bottom and were voted out of the league…they crushed us at spotland 3-0…their only away win all season…their only win in their last 17 games….and conceded 30 goals in the following 10 games….a truly embarrassing day.

Me and 857 hardy souls paid to watch at the next home game. We had a blanket collection at half time and despite the crap on the field those hardy souls were still throwing their loose change into it.

And some folks think the current situation is poor!

I agree, and a bit of realism is needed (despite my disappointment with the home form, which RS agrees with in his interviews)

We are damn lucky to still have a league club, and I suppose it's easy to forget the hard work of the Spring/Summer in fighting Bottom & co and their thoroughly evil, selfish plot. I still can't bring myself to think of our former CEO without getting annoyed at what he plotted.

I was at the Workington game. It was absolutely garbage, but they did have the backing of 4 coach loads of Cardiff fans (their game at, I think Bolton was called off very late) The Cardiff fans decided to support Workington for the day and roared them on to victory against a woeful Dale team.

In addition; I was at every home game bar one in 1973/4, and it was grim to say the least. We did seem (to my young mind) to draw a lot of games, and lose by 1 goal quite often having deserved better; but yes it was rubbish on the whole.
Clueless on 13:40 - Nov 16 with 3344 viewsD_Alien

Clueless on 13:11 - Nov 16 by dawlishdale

I agree, and a bit of realism is needed (despite my disappointment with the home form, which RS agrees with in his interviews)

We are damn lucky to still have a league club, and I suppose it's easy to forget the hard work of the Spring/Summer in fighting Bottom & co and their thoroughly evil, selfish plot. I still can't bring myself to think of our former CEO without getting annoyed at what he plotted.

I was at the Workington game. It was absolutely garbage, but they did have the backing of 4 coach loads of Cardiff fans (their game at, I think Bolton was called off very late) The Cardiff fans decided to support Workington for the day and roared them on to victory against a woeful Dale team.

In addition; I was at every home game bar one in 1973/4, and it was grim to say the least. We did seem (to my young mind) to draw a lot of games, and lose by 1 goal quite often having deserved better; but yes it was rubbish on the whole.

Just to add further perspective:

People still eulogise about our escape from the re-election zone in May 1979, forgetting that the reason we needed to do that was due to being pretty shite for most of the season. Mark Hilditch (Spoonhead) is feted for his goals, including in the final game at Crewe - as well as some of the most glaring misses you'll ever see! It's all viewed with good humour now

We're way better than we were back then. What's changed is the attitude of people who've been brought up on a diet watching live Premier League / Champions League action. Tolerance levels of being pretty average have sunk

I'm 100% behind Stockdale, and will remain so as long as he has the support and confidence of our new Board. Imo, they'll be pleased with our position in the table and looking to assist with progress from the January window

I get the complaints about formation and continued reliance on inexperienced young players, but Stockdale's far from being stupid and he'll have his reasons. As said above, changes will have to be made now due to injury, and unlike back in the day we do have players in reserve who can not only do a job but perhaps claim their place if they remain fit, such as White and Andrews
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 13:41]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Clueless on 17:06 - Nov 16 with 3074 viewskel

Clueless on 13:40 - Nov 16 by D_Alien

Just to add further perspective:

People still eulogise about our escape from the re-election zone in May 1979, forgetting that the reason we needed to do that was due to being pretty shite for most of the season. Mark Hilditch (Spoonhead) is feted for his goals, including in the final game at Crewe - as well as some of the most glaring misses you'll ever see! It's all viewed with good humour now

We're way better than we were back then. What's changed is the attitude of people who've been brought up on a diet watching live Premier League / Champions League action. Tolerance levels of being pretty average have sunk

I'm 100% behind Stockdale, and will remain so as long as he has the support and confidence of our new Board. Imo, they'll be pleased with our position in the table and looking to assist with progress from the January window

I get the complaints about formation and continued reliance on inexperienced young players, but Stockdale's far from being stupid and he'll have his reasons. As said above, changes will have to be made now due to injury, and unlike back in the day we do have players in reserve who can not only do a job but perhaps claim their place if they remain fit, such as White and Andrews
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 13:41]

Good post.

I have a bit of regret about my Twitter moan about Graham and Dorsett when it’s laid out like that. It’s not something I do really but I think it was just a bit of frustration from a spell in the Orient game where there were tons of mistakes which resulted in either good chances or goals for them.

I’ve bitched about those Facebook groups on here before and a lot of the posters on there are the most unrealistic people I’ve ever seen. And it’s not just the kids either, it’s grown fooking men doing it too who have seen us a lot worse than this.
Clueless on 18:39 - Nov 16 with 2910 viewspioneer

Clueless on 13:11 - Nov 16 by dawlishdale

Id forgotten about the influx of cardiff fans which had that games attendence comfortably above 1000. We only won two more games the rest of the season and only local derbies against stockport and huddersfield saw crowds above 1000. In addition to the following home game mentioned, which was against Hatlepool, we had attendences of 800 and 900 against Aldershot and Brentford. These were not Tuesday night games in the middle of winter, all of them Saturday 3.00pm games.

Another season where scraping out of the bottom four probably saved our life as a league club.
Clueless on 21:22 - Nov 16 with 2765 viewsupthedale2403

Unreal....Oh to be a Dale fan
I find it very hard to believe that a manager would pick any player that does not care or try when they are on the pitch , Having played football at a very low level i can honestly say i never once went on the pitch and didn't care or try or want to win but i can remember countless times i played crap but never on purpose Does anybody honestly believe that any of these players dont care?

Stockdale came into the Job with very little time and into a club in turmoil from top to bottom, the players all believed BBM would be there and they were left high and dry when he left (O'Connell being just one) and Stockdale had to pick up the pieces of a squad who had been playing with no confidence and accused of not trying for at least 2 seasons, He has brought in a few quality players but the rot has set in with the majority of this squad and its going to take time to get rid of it.

The reality is we are in a transition period both on and off the Pitch League two football next season is a must and all that matters! it seems to me the Rot has also set in with the supporters too. Maybe we need to try and support this manager and these players? Boo's, moans and groans, criticism, accusations of no effort its all very toxic and it transfers onto the pitch? Some fans need a reality check....Clueless? Aye

UP THE DALE
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 21:28]
Clueless on 21:26 - Nov 16 with 2755 viewsD_Alien

Clueless on 21:22 - Nov 16 by upthedale2403

Unreal....Oh to be a Dale fan
I find it very hard to believe that a manager would pick any player that does not care or try when they are on the pitch , Having played football at a very low level i can honestly say i never once went on the pitch and didn't care or try or want to win but i can remember countless times i played crap but never on purpose Does anybody honestly believe that any of these players dont care?

Stockdale came into the Job with very little time and into a club in turmoil from top to bottom, the players all believed BBM would be there and they were left high and dry when he left (O'Connell being just one) and Stockdale had to pick up the pieces of a squad who had been playing with no confidence and accused of not trying for at least 2 seasons, He has brought in a few quality players but the rot has set in with the majority of this squad and its going to take time to get rid of it.

The reality is we are in a transition period both on and off the Pitch League two football next season is a must and all that matters! it seems to me the Rot has also set in with the supporters too. Maybe we need to try and support this manager and these players? Boo's, moans and groans, criticism, accusations of no effort its all very toxic and it transfers onto the pitch? Some fans need a reality check....Clueless? Aye

UP THE DALE
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 21:28]

All? There's plenty of voices in support of RS and the team, even though you're right about the toxicity of the negative ones

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Clueless on 21:27 - Nov 16 with 2749 viewsupthedale2403

Clueless on 21:26 - Nov 16 by D_Alien

All? There's plenty of voices in support of RS and the team, even though you're right about the toxicity of the negative ones

Apologies not all
Clueless on 23:15 - Nov 16 with 2638 viewsAtThePeake

Clueless on 17:06 - Nov 16 by kel

Good post.

I have a bit of regret about my Twitter moan about Graham and Dorsett when it’s laid out like that. It’s not something I do really but I think it was just a bit of frustration from a spell in the Orient game where there were tons of mistakes which resulted in either good chances or goals for them.

I’ve bitched about those Facebook groups on here before and a lot of the posters on there are the most unrealistic people I’ve ever seen. And it’s not just the kids either, it’s grown fooking men doing it too who have seen us a lot worse than this.

That's the bit I don't get. If it was comments just from people my age or younger who had been brought up on that live Premier League/Champions League action as D_Alien says as well as seeing us as a competitive League One side for much of their formative years, then that would be one thing, but as you can see on the Facebook group and from the context that some posters on here give it definitely isn't just the younger generation.

It was the same last year under BBM when people were saying that certain performances had been the 'worst they'd seen in 50 years'. As frustrated as I was by some of those performances (and as I have been some of this season's too), I've only been watching for 20 years and I remember far worse.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Clueless on 09:24 - Nov 17 with 2452 viewsDaleiLama

Clueless on 23:15 - Nov 16 by AtThePeake

That's the bit I don't get. If it was comments just from people my age or younger who had been brought up on that live Premier League/Champions League action as D_Alien says as well as seeing us as a competitive League One side for much of their formative years, then that would be one thing, but as you can see on the Facebook group and from the context that some posters on here give it definitely isn't just the younger generation.

It was the same last year under BBM when people were saying that certain performances had been the 'worst they'd seen in 50 years'. As frustrated as I was by some of those performances (and as I have been some of this season's too), I've only been watching for 20 years and I remember far worse.

Psychology is a funny old thing when strong emotions and "fanaticism" is mixed in. The old adage of you're never as good/bad as you think you are when things are going well/poorly nearly always holds true. Social media also seems to bring out the worst in people more often than the best, which is why I don't bother with it other than using Twitter as a news feed.

Speaking of psychology, it's great that the team and manager got the reward for the hard work put in to get us a spot on terrestrial tv. The icing on the cake is the payout to go with it - £20k for getting through to rd 2 and £60k from ITV I heard, + ticket sales and add-ons. There's never a bad time to get a boost, but I can't imagine a better one right now.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Clueless on 10:02 - Nov 17 with 2368 viewssamueloneils

Great result- bring those 1st half tactics home.

Josh Andrews is more than a hulk.

Ady White has suffered from cramps all his career and had to go off last night.

What a player he could have been- maybe still can be - with care.
Clueless on 12:04 - Nov 17 with 2220 viewskel

I just can’t can’t my head around it. It’s the same people every time we lose yet will never praise if we pull a result out of the bag. I think they actually thrive on negativity and it must be so energy sapping living a life like that. What’s the point?

Thankfully it’s not as prevalent on here apart from when parkinsgimp/bucket whatever turns up to vent his spleen at players he’d shit himself abusing in person.

It’s perhaps a reflection of the ‘want everything now’ society in which we now live but some people need to temper their expectations a little considering the summer we’ve had and stop having childish rants to impress their mates on social media.
Clueless on 12:17 - Nov 17 with 2196 viewsJames1980

Clueless on 12:04 - Nov 17 by kel

I just can’t can’t my head around it. It’s the same people every time we lose yet will never praise if we pull a result out of the bag. I think they actually thrive on negativity and it must be so energy sapping living a life like that. What’s the point?

Thankfully it’s not as prevalent on here apart from when parkinsgimp/bucket whatever turns up to vent his spleen at players he’d shit himself abusing in person.

It’s perhaps a reflection of the ‘want everything now’ society in which we now live but some people need to temper their expectations a little considering the summer we’ve had and stop having childish rants to impress their mates on social media.

Probably addicted to anger and the neurotransmitters released when they go into a rage, I expect it isn't just football results/performances that get them animated.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Clueless on 20:59 - Nov 17 with 1876 viewsEllDale

I agree entirely.
There have plenty of worse spells than the one endured last year.
The 1973/74 and 1976/77 seasons have been quoted but that shambles of the second half of the 1979/80 season which was horrendous when Bob Stokoe was the manager and tried to fine players for allegedly not trying deserves a mention.
The first part of 2006/07 when we couldn’t score a goal for love nor money was another poor period.
As were parts of 1967/68 when we managed to avoid re-election narrowly.
And as for the Steve Eyre era just before he got the chop…..
The current team would normally beat all of the above sides quite easily.
I’m just glad to see a team on the field to be honest. And some stability in the club.
Clueless on 22:53 - Nov 17 with 1769 viewsscarrow

In 25 years I've seen some utter shite. I started watching in the Barrow era and there were some absolute classics! Many years in League 1 has some forgetting the history. Yes some performances this season have been dreadful, Crawley for example but this is a side thrown together, disrupted by covid and the departure of Rathbone/Humphreys.

We are though starting to see glimmers of a decent line up. Kelly is a class act, O'Keeffe, O'Connell, Beesley it gives us the nucleus of a decent line up.

If only we could stop giving away stupid goals but I've been saying that for 25 years

Poll: Final position

Clueless on 00:04 - Nov 18 with 1717 viewsmikehunt

Never have I felt so embarrassed as when our fans loudly cheered Graham's substitution. Yes the lad had played awful and needed to come off a long time before but how demoralising for the lad and the team in general. Can you imagine how nervous he will feel when he has to face our supporters again?
There seems to be a unity in our squad again and the bond between players and supporters could so easily become strained after incidents like this.

And the guy behind me in the Sandy screaming for him to be hauled off can do one - particularly as when the players glanced over it must have looked like me doing the shouting. Tchoh!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Clueless on 07:50 - Nov 18 with 1577 views1907

Clueless on 00:04 - Nov 18 by mikehunt

Never have I felt so embarrassed as when our fans loudly cheered Graham's substitution. Yes the lad had played awful and needed to come off a long time before but how demoralising for the lad and the team in general. Can you imagine how nervous he will feel when he has to face our supporters again?
There seems to be a unity in our squad again and the bond between players and supporters could so easily become strained after incidents like this.

And the guy behind me in the Sandy screaming for him to be hauled off can do one - particularly as when the players glanced over it must have looked like me doing the shouting. Tchoh!

Agree with everything you say, it got to the point on Saturday where I was actually embarrassed for the lad.

But that’s where the blame lies with RS. Everybody who read the team sheet on Saturday will have seen the name Graham and groaned. He is so out of form it is incredible, so why the hell was he still starting games?

Taylor could have started, Keohane could have played centre half with White playing LB. There were options available to RS to prevent Graham from playing for his own good.

Whether you agree with it or not, the outpouring from the stands on Saturday had been building up for weeks after some absolutely shocking performances against Crawley, Notts County etc.

I would never wish an injury on a player but a break from the team and the squad will do Graham the world of good at the minute.

Stockdale seems to have a game plan that works for away games, home games there is a definite improvement and plan needed.

It was so refreshing on Tuesday night to start with a more striker focused formation & then making attacking changes late in the game which ultimately led to a W. I hope these are lessons learned from recent weeks & I do believe fan pressure plays a part in this.
Clueless on 14:36 - Nov 18 with 1356 viewssamueloneils

Just another stat out of interest.

Conor Grant started 16 of the last 17 matches last season .

During those matches the results were W 5 D 5 L 6.

That was playing for BBM of course.

If we had results like that beforehand we would have been 10 points clear of relegation.

He is 20 years old.. He has 5 years on Kelly and 7 on Dooley.

So he has 16 match experience in League 1. We have seen the big drop in quality in League 2 already.

He regularly makes the bench and occasionally gets on.

Obviously 1 man doesn`t make a team, but he does seem a bit wasted.

He looks a great prospect to me.
Clueless on 20:08 - Nov 18 with 1212 viewsEllDale

I feel a bit sorry for Grant who is, as you say a real prospect.
Falling ill did him no favours and we saw the emergence of Odoh and the signing of Cashman at that time and during his recuperation.
Clueless on 01:07 - Nov 19 with 1022 viewsAtThePeake

Clueless on 20:08 - Nov 18 by EllDale

I feel a bit sorry for Grant who is, as you say a real prospect.
Falling ill did him no favours and we saw the emergence of Odoh and the signing of Cashman at that time and during his recuperation.

I just don't think he's a winger/inside forward, the current system doesn't suit him in one of those wide attacking roles. His form at the end of last season came as part of a midfield three, it'd be nice to see him utilised there at some point although our midfield is perhaps lacking a ball-winner in order to have any two of Morley/Kelly/Grant/Dooley in front of them in a three.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024