Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere 22:04 - Nov 23 with 12618 viewsHullDale

I've thought long & hard about posting this after a few recent games; but after tonight I wonder if its time to have a grown up conversation about the atmosphere at home games, and whether or not it is having an impact on our attitude, performances and results.

I'm not talking about:

- The lack of a bloody drum
- The lack of chanting
- Low crowds, and how quiet we can be as a fanbase at home

I'm talking about the (sometimes vicious) abuse that a decent percentage of our home fans give the team almost continuously.

From where I sat tonight in the WMG, there were a loads of examples of our fans getting on the backs of our players for relatively minor infractions.

Lynch got so much stick from the back of the WMG it was unbelievable - shouting / swearing in his direction, telling him he was sh*t, telling him he can't kick the ball, shouting that he cost us 2 points. It comes to something when our own keeper (who has had 2 very good games) is getting more flack then the opposition keeper.

A decent group of fans booing every single decision players were making, but when some of those decisions turned good (or we did something else great) there was no recognition or 'well done' offered. It makes it feel at times like some people go to vent a load of anger from work / home in our own direction than to watch the football and support the team.

When it is quiet at home, the players will hear absolutely everything and it can't help at all... there were a couple of times when players' shoulders visibly dropped when they heard the abuse. O'Connell is clearly fed up of it (he snapped back at one point at Notts)... others look fed up too. An extreme example was Graham a couple of weeks ago, but its increasingly seeming like some of the constant OTT social media reactions are creeping into actual matches too.

We're in Lg2, with a young average to decent Lg2 squad that was assembled in a couple of weeks before a season in which we were (by all accounts) about 3 hours away from losing the club.

There have been times this season when its genuinely depressing to hear, and takes away from the enjoyment of the game. For casual fans, or those friends for a fiver tonight, it may be enouhh to stop them returning.

I really hope this doesn't come across as a 'preachy' post, or telling people how to act when we've all spent the same money to get in - its out of genuine frustration, a feeling that the atmosphere (subtly referenced by Stockdale recently) could be having some sort of negative impact on the outcome of games, and might be a factor in the decision making if players when it comes to joining or staying with us in January & beyond.

Up the Dale.
Atmosphere on 21:59 - Nov 24 with 3285 viewsJames1980

I'm starting to think confidence and descion making are more important than skill. Fitness probably e/affects (useless at knowing which to chose) both of these. Being heckled by the crowd probably doesn't help as well

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Atmosphere on 22:35 - Nov 24 with 3209 viewsEllDale

Perhaps it’s my imagination but a factor may be that Dale seldom seem to prosper against teams lower than them in the table where the expectation of a win is correspondingly higher?
Think of Scunthorpe, Oldham and Stevenage so far this season. Two points from a possible nine.
And we never seemed to be able to beat Wimbledon over the last four or five seasons when form would have suggested that we should.
Expectation higher, exasperation quicker to set in?
Atmosphere on 22:54 - Nov 24 with 3168 views49thseason

Atmosphere on 22:35 - Nov 24 by EllDale

Perhaps it’s my imagination but a factor may be that Dale seldom seem to prosper against teams lower than them in the table where the expectation of a win is correspondingly higher?
Think of Scunthorpe, Oldham and Stevenage so far this season. Two points from a possible nine.
And we never seemed to be able to beat Wimbledon over the last four or five seasons when form would have suggested that we should.
Expectation higher, exasperation quicker to set in?

You are correct, 8 points from 8 games against teams below us. 15 pts from 10 teams above us. Its a bit of a mystery really. We need a couple of yard dogs in midfield.
Atmosphere on 16:12 - Nov 25 with 2839 viewsTomRAFC

Atmosphere on 21:59 - Nov 24 by James1980

I'm starting to think confidence and descion making are more important than skill. Fitness probably e/affects (useless at knowing which to chose) both of these. Being heckled by the crowd probably doesn't help as well

Spot on.

It's something I've covered a lot with 1-2-1 patients of mine who are athletes.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Atmosphere on 11:40 - Nov 27 with 2574 viewsHullDale

Some interesting points in here about the family stand on a similar topic...

Moan free zone - Block E by _Windydale 26 Nov 2021 0:27
Let's get experimental.Hopefully, next season Dale can designate a block in the Main stand or in the Pearl st, which is an abuse-free zone. Were like-minded folk can go buy a ticket and sit in a block without someone screaming abuse at players. If those found guilty are ejected. I would buy a seat in this section, as I believe if the players are trying they don't deserve abuse. I'll moan and complain but won't give it to the players. I would also like half time quiz.

Atmosphere on 17:53 - Nov 27 with 2413 viewsTVOS1907

It's a shame that one particular individual behind us in Pearl Street decides to start abusing all and sundry just because they don't stand up to sing and shout out inaudible nonsense like he does.

Resorting to "And I bet you don't even go away, do you?" when some of us haven't missed a match this season is not only completely irrelevant, but it doesn't actually strengthen his case.

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Atmosphere on 18:03 - Nov 27 with 2394 viewsHullDale

I was just about to come on here and reference the same bloke as TVOS. He gets a lot of the chanting going, but kicking off with other fans for 'not going away', including kids, is never going to be a good look.

It was weird in the WMG today, really really quiet. There were murmurings of discontent, but nowhere near the same scale as the last few matches (I also find it interesting that some people only give abuse in the second half - its as if they do it wanting the players to hear it).

The guy I mentioned who vaped wasn't there today, but one young lad who sits with him was and its safe to say he's learned almost word for word the same moaning!)

With the attendance dropping, the atmosphere getting flatter and an expensive time of year coming
up, we have work to do!
Atmosphere on 18:23 - Nov 27 with 2347 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 18:03 - Nov 27 by HullDale

I was just about to come on here and reference the same bloke as TVOS. He gets a lot of the chanting going, but kicking off with other fans for 'not going away', including kids, is never going to be a good look.

It was weird in the WMG today, really really quiet. There were murmurings of discontent, but nowhere near the same scale as the last few matches (I also find it interesting that some people only give abuse in the second half - its as if they do it wanting the players to hear it).

The guy I mentioned who vaped wasn't there today, but one young lad who sits with him was and its safe to say he's learned almost word for word the same moaning!)

With the attendance dropping, the atmosphere getting flatter and an expensive time of year coming
up, we have work to do!

He's very lucky someone hasn't planted one on him down the years!

Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere on 18:36 - Nov 27 with 2321 viewsisitme

Atmosphere on 17:53 - Nov 27 by TVOS1907

It's a shame that one particular individual behind us in Pearl Street decides to start abusing all and sundry just because they don't stand up to sing and shout out inaudible nonsense like he does.

Resorting to "And I bet you don't even go away, do you?" when some of us haven't missed a match this season is not only completely irrelevant, but it doesn't actually strengthen his case.

He was embarrassing and looked like he had been on the lash. Around where I was sat it was more positive towards the players today, but probably the performances were better

It was fairly quiet, but I suspect most were frozen by the middle of the second half!
Atmosphere on 18:37 - Nov 27 with 2318 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 18:23 - Nov 27 by TVOS1907

He's very lucky someone hasn't planted one on him down the years!

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/july/wonderwall_inbloomjudges_july19/

One of these, perhaps?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Atmosphere on 19:00 - Nov 27 with 2261 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 18:36 - Nov 27 by isitme

He was embarrassing and looked like he had been on the lash. Around where I was sat it was more positive towards the players today, but probably the performances were better

It was fairly quiet, but I suspect most were frozen by the middle of the second half!

He's always like that, has been since he was a (spoilt) child.

Atmosphere on 19:46 - Nov 27 with 2211 viewskel

Atmosphere on 17:53 - Nov 27 by TVOS1907

I’ve often wondered why supporters feel they are somehow superior to others when it comes to how many matches they attend.

Each individual person has their own set of circumstances that determines whether they can be present at a game or not. Some people may have more disposable income than others dependant on their living arrangements. A person bringing up a family isn’t any less of a supporter than someone who still lives at home with their parents for example.
Atmosphere on 19:49 - Nov 27 with 2202 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 19:46 - Nov 27 by kel

I’ve often wondered why supporters feel they are somehow superior to others when it comes to how many matches they attend.

Each individual person has their own set of circumstances that determines whether they can be present at a game or not. Some people may have more disposable income than others dependant on their living arrangements. A person bringing up a family isn’t any less of a supporter than someone who still lives at home with their parents for example.

Yeah, but I bet you've not been away since this game, have you?

Atmosphere on 19:51 - Nov 27 with 2193 viewskel

Atmosphere on 19:49 - Nov 27 by TVOS1907

Yeah, but I bet you've not been away since this game, have you?

Spooky, I was telling someone about that at work yesterday and dug out the video to take a screenshot.

That was in the days when I was a TRUE FAN.
Atmosphere on 19:56 - Nov 27 with 2163 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 19:51 - Nov 27 by kel

Spooky, I was telling someone about that at work yesterday and dug out the video to take a screenshot.

That was in the days when I was a TRUE FAN.

It's Bournemouth, not Salford, Kev.

Atmosphere on 22:23 - Nov 27 with 2003 viewschuckleberry

Atmosphere on 18:36 - Nov 27 by isitme

There was no way I was moving from under my cosy blanket.
Atmosphere on 14:30 - Nov 28 with 1756 viewsD_Alien

Brighton, who've never finished in the top half of the top tier in their history, stood in eighth place after failing to beat Leeds at home yesterday

They were boo-ed off the pitch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59356978

Atmosphere on 18:02 - Nov 28 with 1601 viewsfermin

Atmosphere on 22:23 - Nov 27 by chuckleberry

I can well imagine that!
Atmosphere on 19:03 - Nov 28 with 1528 viewsR17ALE

Atmosphere on 22:23 - Nov 27 by chuckleberry

I shudder to think what the atmosphere will have been like under your blanket if you'd been eating your usual pungent snacks!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Atmosphere on 21:00 - Nov 28 with 1415 viewsEllDale

One thing that did strike me yesterday was that, unless I didn’t hear it, Jake Beesley didn’t receive any sustained abuse for missing that penalty.
Or for spurning a couple of chances on Tuesday.
If it had been Aaron Morley, Sam Graham, Stephen Dooley or Matty Done for example who’d failed to score then it may have become more toxic.
Atmosphere on 21:06 - Nov 28 with 1403 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 21:00 - Nov 28 by EllDale

One thing that did strike me yesterday was that, unless I didn’t hear it, Jake Beesley didn’t receive any sustained abuse for missing that penalty.
Or for spurning a couple of chances on Tuesday.
If it had been Aaron Morley, Sam Graham, Stephen Dooley or Matty Done for example who’d failed to score then it may have become more toxic.

Well you've certainly put the idea into the heads of folks who think like that!

Atmosphere on 21:26 - Nov 28 with 1365 viewsEllDale

I’d like to think that people see him as the decent, hardworking professional that he is.
Atmosphere on 21:36 - Nov 28 with 1350 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 21:26 - Nov 28 by EllDale

I’d like to think that people see him as the decent, hardworking professional that he is.

It does raise a question about penalties

The next one that comes along, i'd expect Beesley to take it. To not do so would be to suggest a lack of confidence (anyone can miss one, and tbh it's difficult to get any closer without actually converting than Bees did on Saturday)

On the other hand, if we'd been awarded another penalty late on in the game, i'd have wanted Kelly to take it

[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 21:37]

Atmosphere on 21:37 - Nov 28 with 1343 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 21:26 - Nov 28 by EllDale

He is, but so are the others you mentioned.

Atmosphere on 22:31 - Nov 28 with 1269 viewsEllDale

Atmosphere on 21:36 - Nov 28 by D_Alien

It does raise a question about penalties

The next one that comes along, i'd expect Beesley to take it. To not do so would be to suggest a lack of confidence (anyone can miss one, and tbh it's difficult to get any closer without actually converting than Bees did on Saturday)

On the other hand, if we'd been awarded another penalty late on in the game, i'd have wanted Kelly to take it

[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 21:37]

I agree that anyone can miss a penalty.
I certainly saw club legends like Ian Henderson and Gary Jones miss spot kicks and I think Reg Jenkins also failed to score one at least once.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024