Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon Match Thread.. 09:17 - Aug 19 with 38127 viewsdale1968

So with the late dismissal yesterday of the management duo I would not even begin to try and asess tommorrows game, or even who will run the show from the dugout.
I hope that we can break our pts duck and come back north with something more positive.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 00:08 - Aug 21 with 3194 viewsTalkingSutty

Swindon Match Thread.. on 23:11 - Aug 20 by D_Alien

Did i say he didn't know what the drills were?

No. The point here is in resetting the defence at corners away from those drills, which aren't working, i.e. away from zonal marking towards a different system, presumably man marking

If zonal marking has been DRILLED into them, it'll take more than the one full day he's been in the role to change it, especially with all the other stuff he'll have had to take on board

So having been part of the coaching set up and a player in a consistently failing defence and system he is now going to do a complete u turn and admit that what he was coaching them previously was completely wrong...you know what i am getting at don't you? Players aren't daft and straight away our caretaker manager loses credibility.

I think there is a over reaction tonight and i still think this squad of players can prove a lot of people wrong. They need a leader of men, a motivator, somebody who can instill confidence and belief in them and formulate a simple plan in how he wants the game to be played. Big Jim is a nice man but he's been associated with failure, whatever makes people think he should be the next manager?...Give him a job as a coach, no problem with that.

Let's stop faffing around and feeling sorry for ourselves and appoint the person who we feel has the right credentials this week, then lets beat Crawley next Saturday. Too many people are throwing the towel in three weeks into a new season, let's embrace the challenge and come out fighting rather than wallowing in misery. A new manager and let's start again from next week.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 0:13]
Swindon Match Thread.. on 00:19 - Aug 21 with 3160 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 00:08 - Aug 21 by TalkingSutty

So having been part of the coaching set up and a player in a consistently failing defence and system he is now going to do a complete u turn and admit that what he was coaching them previously was completely wrong...you know what i am getting at don't you? Players aren't daft and straight away our caretaker manager loses credibility.

I think there is a over reaction tonight and i still think this squad of players can prove a lot of people wrong. They need a leader of men, a motivator, somebody who can instill confidence and belief in them and formulate a simple plan in how he wants the game to be played. Big Jim is a nice man but he's been associated with failure, whatever makes people think he should be the next manager?...Give him a job as a coach, no problem with that.

Let's stop faffing around and feeling sorry for ourselves and appoint the person who we feel has the right credentials this week, then lets beat Crawley next Saturday. Too many people are throwing the towel in three weeks into a new season, let's embrace the challenge and come out fighting rather than wallowing in misery. A new manager and let's start again from next week.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 0:13]

Agree with most of that TS. There's an air of defeatism which needs to be tempered with the prospect of a renewal from pretty much rock bottom

On the simple point of corners, my post was simply a counter to the knee-jerk negativity that "nothing had changed", rather than what's become an unnecessary point of contention

Let's see what next week brings, once we've got the Hillsborough hurdle out of the way
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 0:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 09:16 - Aug 21 with 2828 viewsTalkingSutty

Swindon Match Thread.. on 00:19 - Aug 21 by D_Alien

Agree with most of that TS. There's an air of defeatism which needs to be tempered with the prospect of a renewal from pretty much rock bottom

On the simple point of corners, my post was simply a counter to the knee-jerk negativity that "nothing had changed", rather than what's become an unnecessary point of contention

Let's see what next week brings, once we've got the Hillsborough hurdle out of the way
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 0:20]

Agree. I would like to think that those in our Boardroom will in the near future be able to finally put to bed our off field battles, if they can do that then that will be the club’s greatest victory of all, a bigger achievement than anything we have seen on the pitch. Losing the club forever would have devastated all of us so I think we need to put our bad start to the season into perspective. The club have had bigger fish to fry and are still embroiled in a terrible off field battle, now is not the time to point any fingers of blame at the boardroom, let’s get the new manager in and hopefully we see a upturn in fortunes.

To be honest i’m not stressing the results it’s just brilliant to be able to get to games again and being a fan owned club is a fabulous feeling. We all want to win but at the moment it’s our turn to struggle. We have no divine right to stay in the league anyway so if the worst happens we still have our club and we continue with our support and try to fight back.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 09:55 - Aug 21 with 2725 viewsHullDale

'...a move that shocked all of us, in timing & everything...'

'...today was a free hit...'

'...proud of what the players tried to do, over & over again...'

'... its hard for me to truly know where the players' brains are really at...'

'... I'm just a steward, we don't know how long things will take to happen or if they will happen...'

'...there was a lot of confusion...'

I like Jim a lot, but that single interview proves to me that we need a new manager in with experience, grit and authority ASAP. He is clearly a clever bloke, but also another product of the 'coach not manage' mindset. That will not keep us in the football league for a 102nd year.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:42 - Aug 21 with 2552 viewssamueloneils

The result is everything I agree.

Yesterday , despite one catastrophic lack of concentration in the first few seconds by an 18 year-old loanee who I am confident will have a long and successful career ahead of him, by half-time we were playing better. Yes better.

There was some show of activity in midfield with Kelly back- pity no Brierley as well. And a few signs of improvement (some sort of hybrid zonal marking instead of the usual wide open spaces) for one.

But as usual in the second half still trying to play out from the back and carrying two passengers in Ball and Henderson. Passing was dreadful and any confidence collapsed with Swindon pressing forward to take advantage.

As has been mentioned before, there is no leadership in this team. EEL and Diacouraga are the obvious candidates but appear to have no will to communicate to push the younger players on. There are only a few days left to sign a midfield general to replace Ball, but this must be the priority.

Assuming this is impossible, surely the only alternative, as some have suggested, is to go for an attacking style. I would ideally like Keohane in the back line and Charman playedalongside Rodney. If injuries prevent then bring Brierley into midfield and possibly even Molloy who looked startlingly good in the brief 10 minutes he was given when all was lost.

Against Grimsby we had 3 clear-cut chancesin the first half, Henderson`s miss by blasting over the bar was particularly bad, but Rodney`s two greedy attempts with players in clear positions in front of goal was just as bad.

We have played some shocking football, but IMO the lack of on-pitch leadership is the biggest issue.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:48 - Aug 21 with 2493 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 09:55 - Aug 21 by HullDale

'... I'm just a steward, we don't know how long things will take to happen or if they will happen...'

I like Jim a lot, but that single interview proves to me that we need a new manager in with experience, grit and authority ASAP. He is clearly a clever bloke, but also another product of the 'coach not manage' mindset. That will not keep us in the football league for a 102nd year.

Doesn't come across as someone with the authority to take advantage of an opportunity

That's okay, but we need someone who does, obviously

He at least said he'd tried to do something different with the formation that'd work better against Swindon, so he knew the team was being prepared by RS in a way he thought was less than optimal. Not sure why he was shocked by RS being sacked then
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 10:58]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:54 - Aug 21 with 2455 viewsSuddenLad

Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:42 - Aug 21 by samueloneils

The result is everything I agree.

Yesterday , despite one catastrophic lack of concentration in the first few seconds by an 18 year-old loanee who I am confident will have a long and successful career ahead of him, by half-time we were playing better. Yes better.

There was some show of activity in midfield with Kelly back- pity no Brierley as well. And a few signs of improvement (some sort of hybrid zonal marking instead of the usual wide open spaces) for one.

But as usual in the second half still trying to play out from the back and carrying two passengers in Ball and Henderson. Passing was dreadful and any confidence collapsed with Swindon pressing forward to take advantage.

As has been mentioned before, there is no leadership in this team. EEL and Diacouraga are the obvious candidates but appear to have no will to communicate to push the younger players on. There are only a few days left to sign a midfield general to replace Ball, but this must be the priority.

Assuming this is impossible, surely the only alternative, as some have suggested, is to go for an attacking style. I would ideally like Keohane in the back line and Charman playedalongside Rodney. If injuries prevent then bring Brierley into midfield and possibly even Molloy who looked startlingly good in the brief 10 minutes he was given when all was lost.

Against Grimsby we had 3 clear-cut chancesin the first half, Henderson`s miss by blasting over the bar was particularly bad, but Rodney`s two greedy attempts with players in clear positions in front of goal was just as bad.

We have played some shocking football, but IMO the lack of on-pitch leadership is the biggest issue.

Fair summary and I agree about Ball. Either he's lost form or he is being found out, but he doesn't deserve a place in the team on his performances so far. Looks like a 3-legged giraffe prancing about aimlessly, to no effect.

Hendo is only a passenger because he isn't getting the service required. Nothing gets to him in important areas, because we can't find a pass and constantly lose possession in midfield. The one time Hendo had a real chance last week, he fluffed his lines and as you correctly say, we should have been out of sight at halftime and with 3 points at 4.50pm.

We need a vocal captain, because EEL seems anonymous in that role.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 2452 viewsTalkingSutty

Swindon Match Thread.. on 09:55 - Aug 21 by HullDale

A difficult interview to listen to that, he saw the game as a free hit...a strange thing to say if you are serious about impressing those in the boardroom, maybe he doesn't want the job anyway? He made it sound that the players and himself didn't have a inkling that Stockdales job was on the line..i don't believe that for one minute. He said he had no expectations from the players yesterday, he mustn't have much faith in them then if that's the case. He cited Sheff Wed as being a footballing giant with hugh finacial resources so the players can see if they can have a bit of fun and the supporters too. I would imagine Sheff Wednesday will play a second team so to just write the game off isn't right.Then there was talk about the wide zone, the front line, rest days and diets and it was like listening to BBM again. Very uninspiring.
Login to get fewer ads

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:34 - Aug 21 with 2232 views49thseason

Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:56 - Aug 21 by TalkingSutty

A difficult interview to listen to that, he saw the game as a free hit...a strange thing to say if you are serious about impressing those in the boardroom, maybe he doesn't want the job anyway? He made it sound that the players and himself didn't have a inkling that Stockdales job was on the line..i don't believe that for one minute. He said he had no expectations from the players yesterday, he mustn't have much faith in them then if that's the case. He cited Sheff Wed as being a footballing giant with hugh finacial resources so the players can see if they can have a bit of fun and the supporters too. I would imagine Sheff Wednesday will play a second team so to just write the game off isn't right.Then there was talk about the wide zone, the front line, rest days and diets and it was like listening to BBM again. Very uninspiring.

I cant disagree with any of that TS. Its the lack of clear thinking and its espression that has landed us in our current position. Football is essentially a simple game which is being made over complicated by coaches and managers to the extent that
many players must be terrified to kick a ball inmcase they do the wrong thing.

Whoever the board appoint as manager, must be able to explain his ideas in simple terms, must be able to clearly state what the responsibility of each player is and put in place a simple system which suits the talents within the squad and not waste time and energy trying to shoehorn players into a system they cannot make work. As yesterday proved, few battle plans survive the sound of the first bullet fired. We have no control over how other teams play and if we spend all our energy negating them, how do we score goals?. Our new manager must play to our strengths and improve them if he can and not spend time trying to negate things that the oppositon may or may not do.
Scoring goals is the only way to win games we need to focus on that.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:00 - Aug 21 with 2127 viewssamueloneils

Can`t agree with you on Henderson SL.
How many times he is getting offside. So reminiscent of his mate Matty Done when he had lost a yard of pace and was desperately trying to outstrip defenders. Players of this experience should be more aware of the defensive line. Maybe swap with Seriki.

He is still my hero.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 14:35 - Aug 21 with 1969 viewsTalkingSutty

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:34 - Aug 21 by 49thseason

I cant disagree with any of that TS. Its the lack of clear thinking and its espression that has landed us in our current position. Football is essentially a simple game which is being made over complicated by coaches and managers to the extent that
many players must be terrified to kick a ball inmcase they do the wrong thing.

Whoever the board appoint as manager, must be able to explain his ideas in simple terms, must be able to clearly state what the responsibility of each player is and put in place a simple system which suits the talents within the squad and not waste time and energy trying to shoehorn players into a system they cannot make work. As yesterday proved, few battle plans survive the sound of the first bullet fired. We have no control over how other teams play and if we spend all our energy negating them, how do we score goals?. Our new manager must play to our strengths and improve them if he can and not spend time trying to negate things that the oppositon may or may not do.
Scoring goals is the only way to win games we need to focus on that.

A manager who makes us as fit if not fitter than other teams in this league. We don't play a high pressing game and swarm over our opponents because the players fitness levels don't allow them to do it. I wont name players but there are several who struggle to just get up and down the pitch, they are blowing out of their backsides before half time. I think fitness is a definite issue from what i've seen, that in turn affects decision making.

As you say, strip the tactics down and play a back four, wide players and two up front. No playing around with the ball in our own half and go long if need be and turn the opposition defenders, then pin them in their half and play from there. The main reason why Hills no fear football waa so successful was because at the time our fitness levels and tempo of play was something our opponents couldn't cope with, it wasn't because we had the most talented players in L2 because we didn't.

I will mention Flitcroft as a wild card because he knows what's required, there is baggage with him but he has passion/ desire a big personality and he commands respect from players. We can't have the tail wagging the dog and i sometimes wonder if that's what is happening, i didn't like Mc Nulty's interview it sounded too relaxed to me and he didn't sound overly concerned with the situation. Maybe that's me interpreting it the wrong way.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 15:36 - Aug 21 with 1817 viewsjudd

Swindon Match Thread.. on 10:56 - Aug 21 by TalkingSutty

I, too, picked up on wide zones and final lines and I just thought fook this.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Swindon Match Thread.. on 00:19 - Aug 22 with 1440 viewsBrierls

Swindon Match Thread.. on 15:36 - Aug 21 by judd

I, too, picked up on wide zones and final lines and I just thought fook this.

O’Donnell was excellent.
Malley showed more quality and looking forward in 10 mins than the entire midfield has provided in 5 games.

That’s the positives.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024