Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon Match Thread.. 09:17 - Aug 19 with 39370 viewsdale1968

So with the late dismissal yesterday of the management duo I would not even begin to try and asess tommorrows game, or even who will run the show from the dugout.
I hope that we can break our pts duck and come back north with something more positive.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:40 - Aug 20 with 2457 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:34 - Aug 20 by fourfourtwo

No it doesn’t 442.

However many fans now feel vindicated after being isolated and abused for providing valid & fair criticism.

Most of those fans who were prepared to give Stockdale a full pre-season to get it right, also made very valid and fair criticisms of his teams during the course of the season

Playing the bloody victim is just pathetic

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:46 - Aug 20 with 2355 viewsBigKindo

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:39 - Aug 20 by SuddenLad

The players are being asked to play a system that they don't seem to understand and which they seem incapable of adhering to, either because of lack of awareness or they're simply not capable of playing. They look bemused for most of the time and can't play the short passing game. Abandon it - now.

FFS chuck the manuals in the skip, reset, play a game that fits their strengths and go again.

There are some good players out there. Let them play a style they are comfortable with, which suits their strengths.

Crawley next week is an ideal opportunity to start collecting points. Let's do it.

Hopefully the players will be asked for their opinion and inpu and to their preferred system.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:48 - Aug 20 with 2336 viewsNorthernDale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:19 - Aug 20 by SaxonDale

I think today has highlighted what a mess Stockdale has put us in. I presume McNulty went 4 at the back from the off after canvassing opinion from key players/ his own observations that the 5 wasn't working but today it exposed the complete limitations of the squad that has been put together. For differing reasons each goal was criminally amateurish but the 3rd highlighted what a mess the back line currently is.

-Seriki isn't anymore of a right back in a 4 than O'Keefe- if we're changing system he needs sending back.
-Nelson is learning on the job and we can't afford to have that this season- I would send him back and look to bring in some experience (but we also need a centre back who can pass the ball out as EEL can't)
-EEL has huge limitations and I don't think is playing well enough to lead the defence without an experienced head next to him
-John isn't a left back
- Ball was poor again despite playing further forward and it's time he had a spell out the squad.
-Tulloch is not going to be the difference this season and neither is Sinclair
- Henderson cut a frustrated figure today; he was very poor
- We still play like a bunch of individuals too often

Positives

-Malley looked to pass forward and at pace
- We had a few reasonably crafted moves

Make no mistake we're in as much of a mess on the pitch as I can remember. This is a crucial next week for the board and I fear we might have left it too late to both find a new manager and have them bring it their own players before the end of the window.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 17:25]

Next week is a 6 pointer, fail to beat Crawley then our league status will be ending next May.

Ball's weaknesses has been exposed, last season, he was surrounded by Newby, Grant, Dooley, Clark, O'Keeffe, who help hide is weaknesses, but now he is our main midfield man, he as been exposed as the non-league footballer he is. Diagouraga is slow and ponderous, does he ever run? He was recruited because he knew Shan and he as been terrible this season so far. Our midfield is potentially the worse in years, we need to recruit 2 or 3 experienced midfield players asap, even 1 to take charge of the midfield on loan by next weekend.

We have a left back in Aidy White, yet we started with John at left back, personally today's team was the same formation as Stockdale preferred with wing backs. We also need to sign a proper right back (Mcloughlin is available at Morecambe, Bennett is a free agent). Seriki is generally poor and Odoh as pace, but cannot defend, we need to back to a straight forward 4-4-2 system with proper defenders, and not wing backs. The problem is Stockdale and Shan has recruited a very poor squad, what happened to the quality he promised.

Next week will, I feel define our fate and our league status.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:50 - Aug 20 with 2294 viewsfourfourtwo

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:40 - Aug 20 by D_Alien

Most of those fans who were prepared to give Stockdale a full pre-season to get it right, also made very valid and fair criticisms of his teams during the course of the season

Playing the bloody victim is just pathetic

“Playing the victim is pathetic” good to see a dinosaur like yourself doing your bit to support other men opening up about how online abuse has affected them over the summer. Bravo Dalien.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:52 - Aug 20 with 2252 viewswmgunit

Seems like one of the problems, irrespective of formation, is that we’re not well equipped to play it out from the back or play it long when we get the ball under possession.

EEL and John don’t seem confident passing or carrying it out, which looks to have extended to Nelson today. Diagouraga is calmer and can see the pass but slow. So we rely on Seriki and Odoh to dribble it forward if we can get it to them in any space. The opposition quickly limit those opportunities though.

We can’t go long either because our forwards rarely win it in the air. And O’Donnell’s distribution isn’t great, despite some exceptional shot stopping in the last few games. Playing Ball further forward helped a bit with this today. He won a few of the aerial battles but offered little else.

Probably just an illustration of others points about the mish mash of players which don’t fit into a coherent system.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 17:54]
Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:56 - Aug 20 with 2164 viewsNewbury_Dale

Who is guiding the board through this management recruitment process ? All good people, with the club at heart. But ultimately they are fans like us with no real experience of running a football club. It's all very well winning the league on FM22 but this is real. This is a worry for me.

The fragmented nature in which the sacking has been communicated, tells me that this wasn't planned. The last few days have been cobbled together and we get spanked by Swindon as a consequence. The Chairman suggested that the recruitment process was starting as of now. Really they should have had someone lined up ready to go with the transfer window closing in ten days. We have no experienced football people at the boardroom level at the club. It's frightening, with our league status looking like it's on a knife edge
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:00 - Aug 20 with 2109 views442Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:56 - Aug 20 by Newbury_Dale

Who is guiding the board through this management recruitment process ? All good people, with the club at heart. But ultimately they are fans like us with no real experience of running a football club. It's all very well winning the league on FM22 but this is real. This is a worry for me.

The fragmented nature in which the sacking has been communicated, tells me that this wasn't planned. The last few days have been cobbled together and we get spanked by Swindon as a consequence. The Chairman suggested that the recruitment process was starting as of now. Really they should have had someone lined up ready to go with the transfer window closing in ten days. We have no experienced football people at the boardroom level at the club. It's frightening, with our league status looking like it's on a knife edge

There is a definite argument that having a “football person” in the Colin Garlick mould would assist the club.

It’s something that’s been missing in previous regimes too, irrespective of what we thought about individuals involved.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:07 - Aug 20 with 1998 viewsNewbury_Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:00 - Aug 20 by 442Dale

There is a definite argument that having a “football person” in the Colin Garlick mould would assist the club.

It’s something that’s been missing in previous regimes too, irrespective of what we thought about individuals involved.

The interview from Jim McNulty just put up on YouTube gives further credence to my feeling that the sacking was done in haste. Do the board have a plan, or are they just reacting to half a dozen lunatics on Twitter ?
Login to get fewer ads

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:09 - Aug 20 with 1974 viewsRotherhamDale

Unless a new manager comes in and is a miracle worker then I can not see us staying in the football league.

I think we need to go back to basics. Every goal kick should go long, we should throw the ball forwards from throw ins and play percentages to get up the pitch. The players that have played so far can not play passing football.

If we are going to persist with passing the ball around, then Kelly and Brierley have to start in midfield. Because nobody else seems capable of keeping the ball.

Possession with progression.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:20 - Aug 20 with 1840 viewsMalley

Not a criticism but why bring on 3 subs in the last 5 mins when you are losing 3-0
Boost their confidence don’t think so
Influence the game don’t think so
Match time don’t think so
Point is these guys will go into the next game on a downer whether picked or not, yes professionalism is the name of the game but imagine if you in your job were threw in at the end of a not favourable day, how would you feel. Feel free to take a pop
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:26 - Aug 20 with 1763 viewsCleedale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:20 - Aug 20 by Malley

Not a criticism but why bring on 3 subs in the last 5 mins when you are losing 3-0
Point is these guys will go into the next game on a downer whether picked or not, yes professionalism is the name of the game but imagine if you in your job were threw in at the end of a not favourable day, how would you feel. Feel free to take a pop

Might be to do with appearance money; actually going onto the pitch as opposed to just remaining on the bench.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:26 - Aug 20 with 1763 viewsNewbury_Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:20 - Aug 20 by Malley

I'm guessing by the UN that you're related to Conor ? For his sake I'd be careful about what you post on here tbh. Especially when it comes to questioning management decisions. Not going to do the lad any favours.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:38 - Aug 20 with 1647 viewsBillyRudd

Football is all about opinions, the best formation, the best position for a player, the best eleven and on and on.
I am sure that Stockdale held the opinion that he was assembling a blend of youth and experience over the summer.
Whilst many were not enthused with the spectacle on offer last season, Stockdale did tick many other boxes that gave him the chance of a summer rebuild. He secured league survival at very short pre-season notice, he acknowledged the Rochdale modus operandi of buying in broken toys to move on at a profit and his persona suited the fans and new board, an honest family club which he was unlikely ever to disgrace , off the field.
I myself bought into that and like many others, I was willing him to succeed.
Unfortunately and at the risk of being accused of stating the bleeding obvious, it did,nt happen. However, that is now history.
We are left with his legacy for sure, that legacy being players that are playing as individuals, zero confidence and poor decision making. Some on longer contracts than probably deserved and others that really for what is required going forward, should be returned to their parent clubs, for both our and their sakes.
Which brings me to my main point. Supporters, especially at lower divisions, generally can forgive lack of natural talent, the extra time needed to get the ball on their best foot, the pass gone astray etc. However what is unforgivable at any level, is the perceived lack of application and workrate. I watch successive car crashes occurring and I am left most times with the nagging question in the back of my mind. Are these players really up for the fight that lies ahead of us. The selfless bust a gut willingness to leave nothing on the pitch a couple of times a week, for your teammates, the club cause and the fans.
Sadly, right now, for me the answer is no.
We need a manager now that first and foremost has the ability to motivate this squad to put in the hard miles, to close down and harry the oposition when we don,t have the ball (like other teams do to us) to play with tempo and fight for the ball in their half. Even if all the players were firing on full cylinders this ludicrous passing game deep in our own half is inviting trouble upon ourselves, and that being on good surfaces at the moment.
Put simply we need a motivator. I fear that if we don,t get one, the January window won,t save us, for we will be already as good as down by then.
Get the motivation and will to win in place and a football team has a funny knack of finding itself back to form and the standard of football with it, regardless of the systems being employed. Right now I am glad I am not a Director having to make that choice.
Up the Dale
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:42 - Aug 20 with 1620 viewsBucketBstard

This man should of left our club 2 years ago.
I am sick of this Big Jim crap.
The man is a full time loser.
Hopefully today has made some of you realise that rubbish defenders shouldnt be at the club,
Look at the crud we have left- Graham , Nelson, John and the woeful captain calamity.
Nice Guy Robbie , may of finished our club off , dont forget we also got Tulloch, Sinclair , Doury , the so called midfield general !!!!and Rodney( yes he runs but cant score enough, remember DS Donnelly) ,
If we go down , I suspect we go bust not long after.
I cant believe the board allowed NGR to squander our money on National conference level players. May be one sub standard player but not 11 players FFS ,
Make no mistake we are in a fight for our lives. Its so sad after all the work to evade Morton House.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:46 - Aug 20 with 1580 viewsBucketBstard

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:30 - Aug 20 by fourfourtwo

“Every time McNulty he has made several really bad errors?”

That’s somewhat of a sweeping generalised statement. I seem to remember McNulty having many very good games for us when we competed well in League One. Yes he occasionally dropped clangers, as did many other players. However he was nowhere near as bad as you are making out.

Are you for real. McNumpty has had about 4 decent games in all the time he has been with us. He was crap at bury, and he is certainly not somebody I would want to save my club.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:46 - Aug 20 with 2794 views442Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:38 - Aug 20 by BillyRudd

Football is all about opinions, the best formation, the best position for a player, the best eleven and on and on.
I am sure that Stockdale held the opinion that he was assembling a blend of youth and experience over the summer.
Whilst many were not enthused with the spectacle on offer last season, Stockdale did tick many other boxes that gave him the chance of a summer rebuild. He secured league survival at very short pre-season notice, he acknowledged the Rochdale modus operandi of buying in broken toys to move on at a profit and his persona suited the fans and new board, an honest family club which he was unlikely ever to disgrace , off the field.
I myself bought into that and like many others, I was willing him to succeed.
Unfortunately and at the risk of being accused of stating the bleeding obvious, it did,nt happen. However, that is now history.
We are left with his legacy for sure, that legacy being players that are playing as individuals, zero confidence and poor decision making. Some on longer contracts than probably deserved and others that really for what is required going forward, should be returned to their parent clubs, for both our and their sakes.
Which brings me to my main point. Supporters, especially at lower divisions, generally can forgive lack of natural talent, the extra time needed to get the ball on their best foot, the pass gone astray etc. However what is unforgivable at any level, is the perceived lack of application and workrate. I watch successive car crashes occurring and I am left most times with the nagging question in the back of my mind. Are these players really up for the fight that lies ahead of us. The selfless bust a gut willingness to leave nothing on the pitch a couple of times a week, for your teammates, the club cause and the fans.
Sadly, right now, for me the answer is no.
We need a manager now that first and foremost has the ability to motivate this squad to put in the hard miles, to close down and harry the oposition when we don,t have the ball (like other teams do to us) to play with tempo and fight for the ball in their half. Even if all the players were firing on full cylinders this ludicrous passing game deep in our own half is inviting trouble upon ourselves, and that being on good surfaces at the moment.
Put simply we need a motivator. I fear that if we don,t get one, the January window won,t save us, for we will be already as good as down by then.
Get the motivation and will to win in place and a football team has a funny knack of finding itself back to form and the standard of football with it, regardless of the systems being employed. Right now I am glad I am not a Director having to make that choice.
Up the Dale

Good post.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Aug 20 with 2780 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:50 - Aug 20 by fourfourtwo

“Playing the victim is pathetic” good to see a dinosaur like yourself doing your bit to support other men opening up about how online abuse has affected them over the summer. Bravo Dalien.

I'll have to be honest with you about this...

People (of any gender) who go online to criticise others yet start wailing about being "abused" when they themselves are criticised, isn't just pathetic, it's abhorrent

People who have suffered genuine abuse in real life deserve better than toerags like you pretending to be upset

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Aug 20 with 2787 viewsClivert

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:46 - Aug 20 by BucketBstard

Are you for real. McNumpty has had about 4 decent games in all the time he has been with us. He was crap at bury, and he is certainly not somebody I would want to save my club.

Just out of interest who would your first choice be for the new manager?
Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:51 - Aug 20 with 2730 viewsIOMDale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Aug 20 by Clivert

Just out of interest who would your first choice be for the new manager?

This will never get answered, as usual.

UTDNFS

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:55 - Aug 20 with 2698 viewsJames1980

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:07 - Aug 20 by Newbury_Dale

The interview from Jim McNulty just put up on YouTube gives further credence to my feeling that the sacking was done in haste. Do the board have a plan, or are they just reacting to half a dozen lunatics on Twitter ?

Talking about interviews, listening to Simon talking on Radio Bolton. I couldn't help thinking as he was talking. Why didn't you let Stockdale go at the end of last season.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:00 - Aug 20 with 2645 viewsShun

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:34 - Aug 20 by fourfourtwo

No it doesn’t 442.

However many fans now feel vindicated after being isolated and abused for providing valid & fair criticism.

Out of interest, who felt isolated and abused because of their opinions? Was it on here or other social media?
Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:00 - Aug 20 with 2644 viewselectricblue

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:19 - Aug 20 by SaxonDale

I think today has highlighted what a mess Stockdale has put us in. I presume McNulty went 4 at the back from the off after canvassing opinion from key players/ his own observations that the 5 wasn't working but today it exposed the complete limitations of the squad that has been put together. For differing reasons each goal was criminally amateurish but the 3rd highlighted what a mess the back line currently is.

-Seriki isn't anymore of a right back in a 4 than O'Keefe- if we're changing system he needs sending back.
-Nelson is learning on the job and we can't afford to have that this season- I would send him back and look to bring in some experience (but we also need a centre back who can pass the ball out as EEL can't)
-EEL has huge limitations and I don't think is playing well enough to lead the defence without an experienced head next to him
-John isn't a left back
- Ball was poor again despite playing further forward and it's time he had a spell out the squad.
-Tulloch is not going to be the difference this season and neither is Sinclair
- Henderson cut a frustrated figure today; he was very poor
- We still play like a bunch of individuals too often

Positives

-Malley looked to pass forward and at pace
- We had a few reasonably crafted moves

Make no mistake we're in as much of a mess on the pitch as I can remember. This is a crucial next week for the board and I fear we might have left it too late to both find a new manager and have them bring it their own players before the end of the window.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 17:25]

Play 4-4-2 and a pairing of EEL and John as CB as to be tried with two proper full backs onloan.
Keobane when fit will be a bonus

Is Taylor injured along with Charman n Campbell!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:00 - Aug 20 with 2635 views442Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 18:46 - Aug 20 by BucketBstard

How many games did you see him play at Bury?

McNulty was playing regularly in the side when we reached the top four in League One in the winter of 16/17. Those are the facts.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:01 - Aug 20 with 2624 viewsBucketBstard

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:01 - Aug 20 by mightydale

Why is it, it was obvious last season, the manger was clueless, you lot wanted to give him the summer
Surprise Surprise, you reap what you sow.

And dont forget,they were so pleased with his signings , a midfield general from wait for it ...Morecambe, who is 30+ and always been useless.
A dope of a defender who when here last time wasnt that good.
They still have hope for Rodney....take a look at his scoring record, he is crap.
Sinclair and Tulloch and Seriki what a joke he is , Ball is getting worse by the game. White and Taylor not good enough. Out of all of NGR's signings there are only 2 I would actually keep. Stangely they are both injured. Wonder is thats owt to do with training and warm up methods?
Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:10 - Aug 20 with 2539 viewsJames1980

Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:01 - Aug 20 by BucketBstard

And dont forget,they were so pleased with his signings , a midfield general from wait for it ...Morecambe, who is 30+ and always been useless.
A dope of a defender who when here last time wasnt that good.
They still have hope for Rodney....take a look at his scoring record, he is crap.
Sinclair and Tulloch and Seriki what a joke he is , Ball is getting worse by the game. White and Taylor not good enough. Out of all of NGR's signings there are only 2 I would actually keep. Stangely they are both injured. Wonder is thats owt to do with training and warm up methods?

Would that be the 'useless' player who made 36 appearances for Morecambe in the season they won promotion to league one and 40 appearances for them the following season? That 'useless' player?

And when you speak of 'a dope of a defender' I am sure you don't mean a player who has played the majority of his career in a league above the one we are currently in including 102 league appearances for Shrewsbury

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024