Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? 19:06 - Mar 10 with 21903 views442Dale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:49 - Mar 11 with 1994 viewssxdale

It's already a full on culture war, I'm no fan of Lineker or the other overpaid herbert's but what he said was the LANGUAGE was similar to 1930's Germany. The language which the Government is/has been using (echoed by the right wing press) is to demonise, isolate and blame a group of people to distract from their own shortcomings, which is exactly how things begin. Not to mention Cruella Braverman having wet dreams about waving off asylum seekers to Rwanda, that well known paragon of democracy.
We have (had) nurses, teachers, train drivers, postal workers and civil servants on strike, meanwhile MP's award themselves a pay rise, while saying there is no money available for anyone else due to the global economic climate while conveniently forgetting that Liz Truss managed to wipe millions off said economy in a matter of days.
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:00 - Mar 11 with 1949 viewsDalenet

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:49 - Mar 11 by sxdale

It's already a full on culture war, I'm no fan of Lineker or the other overpaid herbert's but what he said was the LANGUAGE was similar to 1930's Germany. The language which the Government is/has been using (echoed by the right wing press) is to demonise, isolate and blame a group of people to distract from their own shortcomings, which is exactly how things begin. Not to mention Cruella Braverman having wet dreams about waving off asylum seekers to Rwanda, that well known paragon of democracy.
We have (had) nurses, teachers, train drivers, postal workers and civil servants on strike, meanwhile MP's award themselves a pay rise, while saying there is no money available for anyone else due to the global economic climate while conveniently forgetting that Liz Truss managed to wipe millions off said economy in a matter of days.

I think you are right regarding language. It has been blown out of all proportion and has simply diverted any attention away from the issue.

As for pay rises I think your argument is flawed. They don't vote for their pay and it has risen by 2.9% and isn't above the average payment to the public sector. I think the Government's argument is that they don't have more cash to spend to award more than the 5% average to the public sector. Having said that it is more than I got and so look forward to their promise to bring inflation back to target by the end of the year (which they can't control as they are not able to influence the big drivers).
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:04 - Mar 11 with 1946 viewsD_Alien

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:48 - Mar 11 by 442Dale

Always thought he was smug. The crisp adverts were the clue.

That’s why I think it’s more than being about Lineker or what his views on a particular subject are.

It is, and i'd very much agree there's a culture war being fought, and not just in the UK; this is just the lastest example

Senior people in other organisations (especially academia) have lost their jobs due to using the "wrong language", for instance around trans issues or defending women-only spaces as being reserved for biological women only

Cancel culture has been driven by the ideological Left, and now one of their own is having his tenure in an organisation challenged. What comes round...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:29 - Mar 11 with 1872 viewsRodingdale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:24 - Mar 11 by rich_dale

Bruce's husband works for a PR agency paid £3m a year to advertise Govt policy. And she is someone that works on a political programme, actually chairing it nonetheless. If the BBC are serious about impartiality they first need to address this, and the issues in their boardroom. Having a chair that has donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Tories is a serious conflict of interest and a big red flag. A sports presenter sending a tweet is not. The video posted earlier in the thread by EG sums it up perfectly.

But yes, it will be a full on culture war now by the Tories leading up the next election as it's all they have. They generally will point the finger elsewhere anyway to suggest that people's problems are caused by minorities or outsiders - they won last time by making enemies of the EU and this time they will go all out on immigration. At the end of the day they're the party of the mega rich and need to find ways to encourage ordinary working people to vote for them.

Who says politics and sport don’t mix!

Just under 14m people voted for the Conservatives in December 2019. It would be unlikely they are all ‘mega rich’. It’s up to Labour at the next election to convince a good proportion of the 14m that they won’t be worse off by voting Labour.

Up the Dale!!
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:31 - Mar 11 with 1869 viewsEllGazzell

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:49 - Mar 11 by sxdale

It's the same all over the world currently, the middle ground has disappeared and extremes have come to dominate. You're either in our camp or the enemy.

It's getting worse and I think it's down to social media, and living in echo chambers.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:32 - Mar 11 with 1865 viewssxdale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:00 - Mar 11 by Dalenet

I think you are right regarding language. It has been blown out of all proportion and has simply diverted any attention away from the issue.

As for pay rises I think your argument is flawed. They don't vote for their pay and it has risen by 2.9% and isn't above the average payment to the public sector. I think the Government's argument is that they don't have more cash to spend to award more than the 5% average to the public sector. Having said that it is more than I got and so look forward to their promise to bring inflation back to target by the end of the year (which they can't control as they are not able to influence the big drivers).

You are right the MP's don't vote for their pay but given the economic crisis it's really not a good look to accept it. If I was earning their money (and that's just for the 1 job) the very least I would do would be to donate it to a charity - maybe some MP's have. To me it just shows how out of touch the Westminster bubble is with what 'normal' people think. This is across all parties, Starmer's decision to appoint Sue Grey may very well (probably) be totally innocent but to think that it wouldn't at least provide ammunition to his opponent's and those wanting to discredit the partygate enquiry just says to me naivety at best. If this is the extent of common sense that our leaders have just shows the state of politics in this country, its no wonder we're all f*****
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:43 - Mar 11 with 1814 viewssxdale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:31 - Mar 11 by EllGazzell

It's the same all over the world currently, the middle ground has disappeared and extremes have come to dominate. You're either in our camp or the enemy.

It's getting worse and I think it's down to social media, and living in echo chambers.

I totally agree with this. I would also like to add that I'm really enjoying this thread, posters are giving their opinions and not holding back but not resorting to personal abuse.
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:44 - Mar 11 with 1801 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Bring back Ron Manager. Knocks Saint Gary into a cocked hat…
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:55 - Mar 11 with 1750 viewsfrenzied

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:44 - Mar 11 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Bring back Ron Manager. Knocks Saint Gary into a cocked hat…

Yes along with Alan Carr,,..im sure his dad was a football player

Callum Best..his dad was definitely a footballer

Suzanne Charlton..as above

and Mike Bassett
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 14:16 - Mar 11 with 1695 views442Dale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:43 - Mar 11 by sxdale

I totally agree with this. I would also like to add that I'm really enjoying this thread, posters are giving their opinions and not holding back but not resorting to personal abuse.

Always think this board is usually a good place for discussion and reasonable disagreements. Sometimes people will get dramatic or become a bit personal, but that really stands out on occasions when most are prepared to be reasonable wherever they may stand.

And to think some might feel this place is full of moaners and cliques… or some other messageboard * insert stereotypical name for group of people you can’t debate with or listen to out of frustration when they disagree with you *

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 14:19 - Mar 11 with 1682 viewsjudd

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:24 - Mar 11 by rich_dale

Bruce's husband works for a PR agency paid £3m a year to advertise Govt policy. And she is someone that works on a political programme, actually chairing it nonetheless. If the BBC are serious about impartiality they first need to address this, and the issues in their boardroom. Having a chair that has donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Tories is a serious conflict of interest and a big red flag. A sports presenter sending a tweet is not. The video posted earlier in the thread by EG sums it up perfectly.

But yes, it will be a full on culture war now by the Tories leading up the next election as it's all they have. They generally will point the finger elsewhere anyway to suggest that people's problems are caused by minorities or outsiders - they won last time by making enemies of the EU and this time they will go all out on immigration. At the end of the day they're the party of the mega rich and need to find ways to encourage ordinary working people to vote for them.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with how they won last time.

I think it was lost by Labour because Corbyn was unelectable.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:24 - Mar 11 with 1573 viewsEllGazzell

There is light at the end of the tunnel...I think:

Here in Czechia in 2021, an elected coalition threw out (only just) the incumbent oligarch prime minister who had developed a stranglehold through his media control. A former STB agent who gained money and power through 'kompromat' and manipulation. Politically, he was the dictionary definition of populist - whichever way the national wind was blowing, that was his policy.
He was only ousted due to nearly every party in the political landscape agreeing to form a coalition for the benefit of the state.

We've also just seen the overwhelming election of a centrist/unifying president - after 20 (2x 2 terms) years of divisive/corrupt 'leadership' in the castle. He's a former head of NATO, globally respected - a real figure head for the state, and you can physically feel the whole country releasing the tension.

3 years ago, these scenarios were unimaginable to most, but the pressure of decades of division and corruption eventually became too much; voters looked to the centre to try to steer a course forward.

The invasion of Ukraine by the terrorist state rUSSIA has undoubtedly galvanised people here and was a key factor in Pavel becoming president; but again, pressures of extremes (including potential threats to existence [they remember 1968]) 'snapped' a lot of people out of their bubbles.

What I am saying here is that I don't think society can tolerate these extremes for long periods, eventually it becomes too much; people can't live in a perma-state of whipped-up anger cos there are not enough pronouns, wokerati, immigrants, transgender rights, polish builders.... ultimately something gives.

The big question is: it took 20 years and "WW3" for the small fledgling democracy's scales to fall from its eyes; in the UK of 60+ million with far deeper social media penetration, I dunno how, or how long it will take for people to see each other's similarities rather than differences.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:37 - Mar 11 with 1542 viewssxdale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:24 - Mar 11 by EllGazzell

Here in Czechia in 2021, an elected coalition threw out (only just) the incumbent oligarch prime minister who had developed a stranglehold through his media control. A former STB agent who gained money and power through 'kompromat' and manipulation. Politically, he was the dictionary definition of populist - whichever way the national wind was blowing, that was his policy.
He was only ousted due to nearly every party in the political landscape agreeing to form a coalition for the benefit of the state.

We've also just seen the overwhelming election of a centrist/unifying president - after 20 (2x 2 terms) years of divisive/corrupt 'leadership' in the castle. He's a former head of NATO, globally respected - a real figure head for the state, and you can physically feel the whole country releasing the tension.

3 years ago, these scenarios were unimaginable to most, but the pressure of decades of division and corruption eventually became too much; voters looked to the centre to try to steer a course forward.

The invasion of Ukraine by the terrorist state rUSSIA has undoubtedly galvanised people here and was a key factor in Pavel becoming president; but again, pressures of extremes (including potential threats to existence [they remember 1968]) 'snapped' a lot of people out of their bubbles.

What I am saying here is that I don't think society can tolerate these extremes for long periods, eventually it becomes too much; people can't live in a perma-state of whipped-up anger cos there are not enough pronouns, wokerati, immigrants, transgender rights, polish builders.... ultimately something gives.

The big question is: it took 20 years and "WW3" for the small fledgling democracy's scales to fall from its eyes; in the UK of 60+ million with far deeper social media penetration, I dunno how, or how long it will take for people to see each other's similarities rather than differences.

I hope you are right, perhaps we have to reach rock bottom before we can start to bounce back up but doubt I'll be around to see it. I suppose it depends if you have faith in humanity or not.
Personally I'm in the not category, but I intend to sit back and watch the world burn with mild amusement
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:39 - Mar 11 with 1539 viewstony_roch975

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 13:29 - Mar 11 by Rodingdale

Who says politics and sport don’t mix!

Just under 14m people voted for the Conservatives in December 2019. It would be unlikely they are all ‘mega rich’. It’s up to Labour at the next election to convince a good proportion of the 14m that they won’t be worse off by voting Labour.

Up the Dale!!

and 15.2M voted against them

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:40 - Mar 11 with 1534 viewsRodingdale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:24 - Mar 11 by EllGazzell

Bloody good beer too!!
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:54 - Mar 11 with 1497 viewsrich_dale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 14:19 - Mar 11 by judd

I'd have to respectfully disagree with how they won last time.

I think it was lost by Labour because Corbyn was unelectable.

Agree that contributed, but wouldn't say it was the main factor. Many people, me included, felt JC was too idealistic and not strong enough to be PM but he was popular with a lot of people, and closed the gap in the 2017 GE. The deciding factor in 2019 I think was that the Tories had a clear and strong message about Brexit and Labour completely fudged theirs. Added to that the fact JC was hammered by the right wing press and established who were terrified of the idea of him winning.
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:01 - Mar 11 with 1477 viewsDaleiLama

Going back to the OP this is a brilliant tweet. Made me laugh anyway.

For anyone who missed it, Guy Goma was waiting in the main reception area of the BBC Television Centre in west London to be interviewed for a job as a data support cleanser in the corporation's IT department and was mistaken for a talking head and put on air live.

This was the original

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:06 - Mar 11 with 1451 viewsDorkingDale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:20 - Mar 11 by sxdale

So now we have no punditry on MOTD. Football focus, final score and fighting talk have all been cancelled now personally I don't give a flying f*** as don't watch them and like others have said skip through the waffle on MOTD.
However all of this is distracting from the issue which is the government policy (I use the word loosely) on the migrant issue.
An even bigger concern is that the BBC is replacing said programmes with more f****** episodes of bargain f****** hunt and the f****** repair shop. Faced with that bring back Lineker

. At least my Mum will be happy....
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:06 - Mar 11 with 1446 viewsJames1980

Problem is there are too many ruddy fools who think they are more intelligent than they really are who fall for all the conspiracy theory bs. They are also over confident and shout their nonsense very loudly and also shout down or try and belittle anyone who questions them.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:08 - Mar 11 with 1444 viewsjudd

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 15:54 - Mar 11 by rich_dale

Agree that contributed, but wouldn't say it was the main factor. Many people, me included, felt JC was too idealistic and not strong enough to be PM but he was popular with a lot of people, and closed the gap in the 2017 GE. The deciding factor in 2019 I think was that the Tories had a clear and strong message about Brexit and Labour completely fudged theirs. Added to that the fact JC was hammered by the right wing press and established who were terrified of the idea of him winning.

Corban led the Labour Party to its worst defeat since 1935.

He lost a whole host of traditional seats because he did not appeal to the traditional supporters.

He was unable to effectively counter anything offered up by Johnson.

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:16 - Mar 11 with 1412 viewsDorkingDale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 12:33 - Mar 11 by 442Dale

Wasn’t his tweet comparing the similarities in the language used?

It’s all about perception of opinion. Both Lineker and others have tweeted opinions I’ve thought are probably a bit much considering their roles, not something we might do ourselves, but those went without censure or furore.

For example recently, Lineker has made sarcastic comments about Sunak, Starmer/Sue Gray, Brexit, posted support of an American senator being made to look stupid for his views on guns, supported Ukraine… all in the last month.

We might all have different stances on all those - some may feel far more strongly about the right to have a gun than they do about immigration or his choice to make comparisons in language used, so should he not have been told to “stand back” then as well?

There’s either a right to express an opinion on subjects in a reasonable way or they’re told not to tweet etc at all. Rather than all this, wouldn’t it have been better to challenge him to explain where he sees the comparisons in the language used and attempt to prove it to be wrong?

"This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s, and I'm out of order?"

True, but we know whose language he was referring to & he should've come up with specific similarities rather than just generalise.

Anyhow, it's a right old mess - and as you point out, an accident waiting to happen....

BBC needs to re-assess it's policy & state whether it is specific to employees. If so, they need to come up with a policy for freelancers.

Talking of which, how does Lineker's holier-than-I position sit with his apparent intention to minimise his taxes?
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:25 - Mar 11 with 1395 viewsrich_dale

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:08 - Mar 11 by judd

He lost a whole host of traditional seats because he did not appeal to the traditional supporters.

Corbyn did ok in 2017 before Labour's line on Brexit became ambiguous. The Tories' 'Get Brexit Done' was the difference two years later.
Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:26 - Mar 11 with 1392 viewsJames1980

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:08 - Mar 11 by judd

It is also so frustrating to see his cult still refusing to admit he was not the right to lead the opposition

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:51 - Mar 11 with 1324 viewsjudd

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 16:25 - Mar 11 by rich_dale

Corbyn did ok in 2017 before Labour's line on Brexit became ambiguous. The Tories' 'Get Brexit Done' was the difference two years later.

Brevity was central to May's decision to call the 2017 election.

Anyone want to present MotD tomorrow? on 18:40 - Mar 11 with 1189 viewsD_Alien

MOTD will last just 20 minutes tonight, will no commentary

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024