Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. 11:38 - May 22 with 10536 viewsRAFC1907

I am pleased George Donnelly is staying at the club, and im pretty sure Keith Hill will be.

Having read some of the comments on here, it is clear not many of you have played the game at a decent level.

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Talent is no substitute for hard work and unless of course your representing the likes of Brazil, Spain etc then hard work will always come before talent. 90% of footballers get results from hard work.

Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona: all three have a mix, they have the grafters, and then the 10% from Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez that can make the difference.

If you had 11 of them on each team, I would not expect them to win once.

George Donnelly causes havoc, his runs off the ball create space, his runs in behind cause problems, his ever lasting energy does'nt let defenders breathe, he holds the ball up, all of the points create goals, he also chips in with a few goals to. If he did not do any of those points then fair enough, but he does.

I think some of you forget the past, it was only last season that people moaned about the effortless performances of the players. Their lack of desire to compete to win football matches for Rochdale football club.

It is a pleasure to pay hard earned money to watch the likes of George Donnelly give 120%, we would'nt of done it without him.

It is only Keith Hills opinion that matters afterall.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Poll: Bottomley...

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:00 - May 22 with 4680 viewsChaffRAFC

He does work hard most of the time, but I'm afraid that isn't enough for me. Don't agree that he does the things you pointed out like his off the ball runs and holding the ball up. His footballing brain and vision are non-existent. For me, he's a lighter but less talented Lee McEvilly.

But each to their own etc.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:07 - May 22 with 4648 viewssandylaner1

He's a non league player signed by a non league manager.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:08 - May 22 with 4637 viewsdeeplishblue

So glad that we added a new thread for this. 1 GD thread is just not enough i'm afraid.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:21 - May 22 with 4584 viewsD_Alien

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:08 - May 22 by deeplishblue

So glad that we added a new thread for this. 1 GD thread is just not enough i'm afraid.

I'm chuffed we've got an extra GD thread to post in!

If his wage amounts to just 3-4% (pro rata) of my gate money it's 54-72p well spent to have threads we can all let rip on. His value during the dead of the close season is incalculable!

Re the OP: I like it, its a decent point of view and well-expressed.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:23 - May 22 with 4573 viewsBrierls

Lovely story, but it doesn't change my opinion that Donnelly is a bit shit.

I wouldn't be so sure about Hilly being pleased Donnelly is staying, my interpretation on the contract situation is more Hilly had his hands tied. The statement on the retained list read...

"Meanwhile, Hill intends to invoke the option on the contracts of Rhys Bennett, Bastien Hery and Joe Rafferty. George Donnelly has an option on his contract, which is under consideration by both the club and the player. "

Hill intends to invoke the option on the contracts of Rhys Bennett, Bastien Hery and Joe Rafferty = Hilly had a decision to make and chose to keep them

George Donnelly has an option on his contract, which is under consideration by both the club and the player = The decision was out of Hilly's hands and if Donnelly decided to take up that option he couldn't do anything about it.

I don't doubt that Donnelly gives 100%, but the money spent on his wage could be spent much better elsewhere.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:39 - May 22 with 4506 viewssandy_dale

Georgie brings out the debating side in us dale fans - like marmite!
Didn't think we would seem him next year at spotland, especially in a dale shirt!
But if hilly wants him he knows what for!
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:03 - May 22 with 4421 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:00 - May 22 by ChaffRAFC

He does work hard most of the time, but I'm afraid that isn't enough for me. Don't agree that he does the things you pointed out like his off the ball runs and holding the ball up. His footballing brain and vision are non-existent. For me, he's a lighter but less talented Lee McEvilly.

But each to their own etc.

Keith Hill must rate him.

George has played 34 times this season, no hint of a transfer listing or contract termination.
[Post edited 22 May 2014 13:35]
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:09 - May 22 with 4406 viewsfitzochris

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:23 - May 22 by Brierls

Lovely story, but it doesn't change my opinion that Donnelly is a bit shit.

I wouldn't be so sure about Hilly being pleased Donnelly is staying, my interpretation on the contract situation is more Hilly had his hands tied. The statement on the retained list read...

"Meanwhile, Hill intends to invoke the option on the contracts of Rhys Bennett, Bastien Hery and Joe Rafferty. George Donnelly has an option on his contract, which is under consideration by both the club and the player. "

Hill intends to invoke the option on the contracts of Rhys Bennett, Bastien Hery and Joe Rafferty = Hilly had a decision to make and chose to keep them

George Donnelly has an option on his contract, which is under consideration by both the club and the player = The decision was out of Hilly's hands and if Donnelly decided to take up that option he couldn't do anything about it.

I don't doubt that Donnelly gives 100%, but the money spent on his wage could be spent much better elsewhere.

That, pretty much word for word, is my view on the subject.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:12 - May 22 with 4386 viewssandylaner1

If we are looking to build a competitive league one team Donnelly should not be in it.

5 league goals in league 2 with a team that won most games and scored a lot of goals along the way, what evidence is there he will bag in a higher league?

It gets worse when you look at the goals:

Home to Scunthorpe - keeper error
Hartlepool away - ball just rebounded off him and went in
Burton home - keeper error after just scooping ball in air

If Donnelly was a free agent there's no way Hilly would recruit him

Thanks Coleman
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:20 - May 22 with 4362 viewsSaxonDale

Since when do you have to have played the game at a decent level to have a reasoned opinion on football? I know several people who have played to a decent standard but would value many of the opinions given on here over theirs.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:35 - May 22 with 4302 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:20 - May 22 by SaxonDale

Since when do you have to have played the game at a decent level to have a reasoned opinion on football? I know several people who have played to a decent standard but would value many of the opinions given on here over theirs.

Donnelly's attributes are being debated after two whole seasons. That there's still any doubt amongst so many indicates that those attributes aren't enough. Having only played in school & pub teams, I still reckon I know more about the game than many who have played it at much higher standards; therefore it's an educated opinion that if the internet had existed when Jason Dawson was wearing no.9 for Dale, we'd be having the exact same discussions.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:57 - May 22 with 4240 viewsSaxonDale

The question to ask over Donnelly is would you be happy with him- if injuries dictated- leading the line for 3 months in league 1? With every other position in the squad I would be comfortable with the 'reserve' player coming in, however I wouldn't with George.

I think most fans at most would want to see Donnelly for the last 20 minutes but can anyone remember him having a significant contribution from the bench last season? I can't remember many.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:00 - May 22 with 4226 viewsMass_Debater

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:12 - May 22 by sandylaner1

If we are looking to build a competitive league one team Donnelly should not be in it.

5 league goals in league 2 with a team that won most games and scored a lot of goals along the way, what evidence is there he will bag in a higher league?

Thanks Coleman

We didn't score at home to Scunny
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:03 - May 22 with 4212 viewsRochdale_Matt

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:57 - May 22 by SaxonDale

The question to ask over Donnelly is would you be happy with him- if injuries dictated- leading the line for 3 months in league 1? With every other position in the squad I would be comfortable with the 'reserve' player coming in, however I wouldn't with George.

I think most fans at most would want to see Donnelly for the last 20 minutes but can anyone remember him having a significant contribution from the bench last season? I can't remember many.

Cheltenham Away
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:04 - May 22 with 4209 viewschuckleberry

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Donnelly doesn't have a footballing brain though. He runs around like a headless chicken and usually hasn't a clue what to do near the goal. If Donnelly becomes a great player next season I'll show my arse on the town hall steps.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:07 - May 22 with 4196 viewsSuddenLad

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/donnelly-extension-2014-1568940.aspx

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:16 - May 22 with 4167 viewsBrighouseDale

Seems bizarre that a player has the option to extend their own contract, surely if that's the case there's no incentive for them to perform?

Edit- fair enough- http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/donnelly-extension-2014-1568940.aspx
[Post edited 22 May 2014 14:17]

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:17 - May 22 with 4163 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:12 - May 22 by sandylaner1

Thanks Coleman

Bristol Rovers away - ball through to Bunney to score the equaliser (most important goal this season after 3 and a half games without scoring).
Cheltenham home - volleyed pass to Henderson to create opener, shot/pass to Henderson for the important 2nd.
George contributed.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:19 - May 22 with 4150 viewsBirchy915

I believe in George Donnelly because Keith Hill believes in George Donnelly.
If Hill thinks that he can use him in any way, who are we to try and second guess him?
Besides, I'm sure one day we'll be singing "Are you Holty in disguise?".

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:20 - May 22 with 4150 viewsMass_Debater

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:17 - May 22 by dingdangblue

Bristol Rovers away - ball through to Bunney to score the equaliser (most important goal this season after 3 and a half games without scoring).
Cheltenham home - volleyed pass to Henderson to create opener, shot/pass to Henderson for the important 2nd.
George contributed.

Using those criteria, clubs would never release any players.

Cavanagh scored at Hartlepool. Let's get him back pronto.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:21 - May 22 with 4148 viewsisitme

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:16 - May 22 by BrighouseDale

Seems bizarre that a player has the option to extend their own contract, surely if that's the case there's no incentive for them to perform?

Edit- fair enough- http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/donnelly-extension-2014-1568940.aspx
[Post edited 22 May 2014 14:17]

The option will only be enforceable if the player meets specific criteria laid out in their contract. In this case he met an appearances clause.
[Post edited 22 May 2014 14:32]
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:22 - May 22 with 4137 viewsJumeirahDale

He's here now, Hilly has given him plenty of game time this last season and praised him in public - I trust in Hilly and Chris Beech's judgement. And whilst I think George is not a natural goalscorer, I can see he adds something to the squad and I love his enthusiasm (I would take Georgie over 10 clones of Ashley Grimes).

The strength of opinion of some posters on here is absolutely fair - everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm curious to see how sure people are! Would any people in the "George is sh*t" camp be willing to pledge a fiver (Dale Trust / Springhill Hospice / whatever) for every goal George gets in excess of his 5 from last season?
[Post edited 22 May 2014 14:23]
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:30 - May 22 with 4105 viewsDaleFan7

Wasn't good enough for League 2 so I don't see how if the club is moving forwards we'd keep him. Surely there's better platers to spend the wage on.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:57 - May 22 with 4048 viewsThran

I'm not the biggest Donnelly fan, this season I've been the one to critisize him amongst me and my friends, the word "shit" even came up after his Dagenham miss however I personally think having him here for league 1 is great for us.

His finishing has not been up to par this season and he will know that, he will probably be looking to improve on that and we all know he gives it all on the pitch, I'm hoping he will as well on the training ground this pre-season. He is an effective substitute for the late stages of the game and we will need someone who can beat defenders to long balls, through balls etc.

If his contract extension was not to Hilly's liking then he will still encorperate him into the team if he continues to be good at what he is good at.

PS. His goals against Northampton at home and Newport away were awesome especially the Newport one, it felt like we had won the league right there and then :D

Poll: Bigger drop, Wigan or Tranmere?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:33 - May 22 with 3952 viewsTomRAFC

George Donnelly has a great attitude but sadly he is not very good at football.

The argument about people on the message board not being professional footballers is just childish. Of course we aren't but most people on this board do have (correct me if i'm wrong) eyes. They can see when a player misses sitters week in week out or chooses to dribble off with the ball ignoring several opportunities to lay it off to a player in a better position.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024