Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deadline Day Business. 08:31 - Feb 2 with 7499 viewsdale1968

So with 3 in and a couple out whats the general feeling about the business conducted?
Feel a bit more optimistic with more strength added.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Deadline Day Business. on 09:22 - Feb 2 with 4925 viewsBucketBstard

Hope its strenghthened the squad .Is it two midfielders and a forward? The defence is the problem so not sure what to think?
Deadline Day Business. on 09:37 - Feb 2 with 4858 viewsjonahwhereru

I am viewing it positively. The lad from Leeds have over 40 games a league level and should be able to make an impact quickly. Osho has hit the ground running, credit to him for that. The other two are more difficult to assess. Not sure if Vale has played much men’s football and it appears that Grant hasn’t. Note he played with Bazunu in Ireland and that will help him settle. He said he likes to create in the final third, which was the type of player I had one my wish list. Happy enough with the Baah deal, our room for manoeuvre in the negotiations was so limited and I suspect his form would have been affected if we said no. Just hope he doesn’t now develop a billy big b-llocks attitude, but he will probably be fine. Still only McLaughlin as a true wide defender at the club. Maybe the next window for a left back that hasn’t been converted from another position, maybemay be never.
Deadline Day Business. on 10:00 - Feb 2 with 4768 viewsDaleiLama

More numbers added - time will tell if that equates to more strength, but BBM's record to date has been above average in assessing players and he seems well connected too.

Think it would be better to answer this question in a month's time. FitzoChris's linked tweet (second of the two I posted on the 1st of Jan thread) suggests that it's possible free agents could also be brought in too, which again makes judgement now a little premature in my view.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Deadline Day Business. on 10:32 - Feb 2 with 4644 viewsDaleiLama

Reading this, does seem to augur well.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/february/conorshaughnessyquotes/

Played with Osho and McShane previously, got to know the set up here and stresses defensive duties. Suggests a good fit.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 10:37]

Deadline Day Business. on 10:53 - Feb 2 with 4578 views100notout

Just noticed Will Grigg has gone on loan from Sunderland to MK Dons - strange one that - he'll have been on a lot of money so I wonder how much of it MK are paying?

edit likewise David Nugent from Preston to Tranmere
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 10:55]

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Deadline Day Business. on 11:05 - Feb 2 with 4519 viewsTomRAFC

Deadline Day Business. on 10:32 - Feb 2 by DaleiLama

Reading this, does seem to augur well.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/february/conorshaughnessyquotes/

Played with Osho and McShane previously, got to know the set up here and stresses defensive duties. Suggests a good fit.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 10:37]

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/february/conorgrantquotes/

Grant also mentions having played with Bazunu at Shamrock.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Deadline Day Business. on 11:09 - Feb 2 with 4504 viewsAlexF

looking at this with some humour, we've scored 40, 1 less than Hull, top scorers in the division. We've conceded 48, just 3 less than Burton, leakiest side in the division. With no left back and centrebacks who cant keep fit, the manager's solution to that scenario is to sign 2 midfielders and a striker.... Is Kevin Keegan his managerial hero
Deadline Day Business. on 11:21 - Feb 2 with 4446 viewsJames1980

Deadline Day Business. on 11:09 - Feb 2 by AlexF

looking at this with some humour, we've scored 40, 1 less than Hull, top scorers in the division. We've conceded 48, just 3 less than Burton, leakiest side in the division. With no left back and centrebacks who cant keep fit, the manager's solution to that scenario is to sign 2 midfielders and a striker.... Is Kevin Keegan his managerial hero

Just imagine BBM doing the 'I'd love it' rant.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Login to get fewer ads

Deadline Day Business. on 11:23 - Feb 2 with 4428 viewsfitzochris

Deadline Day Business. on 11:09 - Feb 2 by AlexF

Not to be devoid of humour, but Osho is a centre back and Shaughnessy is so versatile that he can play centre back, defensive midfield or centre mid. Very sound signings as far as I’m concerned.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Deadline Day Business. on 11:39 - Feb 2 with 4376 viewsjonahwhereru

Deadline Day Business. on 11:23 - Feb 2 by fitzochris

Not to be devoid of humour, but Osho is a centre back and Shaughnessy is so versatile that he can play centre back, defensive midfield or centre mid. Very sound signings as far as I’m concerned.

Fitz dont know if you saw anything of him at Hearts, he sounds like he is like MJ Williams, but a better model, would that be accurate?
Deadline Day Business. on 11:41 - Feb 2 with 4354 viewsfitzochris

Deadline Day Business. on 11:39 - Feb 2 by jonahwhereru

Fitz dont know if you saw anything of him at Hearts, he sounds like he is like MJ Williams, but a better model, would that be accurate?

Yep. He’s a great signing for us and better than MJ, in my humble opinion. He will be able to move about to effectively cover injuries/suspensions too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Deadline Day Business. on 12:01 - Feb 2 with 4298 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Deadline Day Business. on 10:53 - Feb 2 by 100notout

Just noticed Will Grigg has gone on loan from Sunderland to MK Dons - strange one that - he'll have been on a lot of money so I wonder how much of it MK are paying?

edit likewise David Nugent from Preston to Tranmere
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 10:55]

At 35 isn’t it a bit old for Nugent to start playing left-back?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Deadline Day Business. on 12:30 - Feb 2 with 4183 viewsNigeriamark

Quite happy with the day. Only a ring player lost and some bolstering of central defence & Midfield. Just to have the extra cover is great & as 2 or 3 players come back from injury there should be some competition for places and on the bench. 7 winnable matches in Feb so in at the right time

Only negative as many have pointed out was no LB coming in so it will be interesting to see how that pans out & how we set up.

Just hope the "injury" gods are on our side for the rest of the season
Deadline Day Business. on 12:30 - Feb 2 with 4189 views100notout

Deadline Day Business. on 12:01 - Feb 2 by BigDaveMyCock

At 35 isn’t it a bit old for Nugent to start playing left-back?

Hillys got a plan!!!!!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Deadline Day Business. on 12:48 - Feb 2 with 4103 viewsD_Alien

Deadline Day Business. on 12:30 - Feb 2 by Nigeriamark

Quite happy with the day. Only a ring player lost and some bolstering of central defence & Midfield. Just to have the extra cover is great & as 2 or 3 players come back from injury there should be some competition for places and on the bench. 7 winnable matches in Feb so in at the right time

Only negative as many have pointed out was no LB coming in so it will be interesting to see how that pans out & how we set up.

What's a ring player?

I know Tavares is slight, but sounds like a sleight...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Deadline Day Business. on 12:56 - Feb 2 with 4050 viewsJames1980

Deadline Day Business. on 12:30 - Feb 2 by Nigeriamark

If France can win the world cup without a recognised striker, I'm sure we can retain our league one status without a recognised left back.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Deadline Day Business. on 12:56 - Feb 2 with 4050 viewsTomRAFC

Deadline Day Business. on 11:41 - Feb 2 by fitzochris

Yep. He’s a great signing for us and better than MJ, in my humble opinion. He will be able to move about to effectively cover injuries/suspensions too.

One of my favourite players in recent years, brief as his contribution was, is Keith Keane. A defensive midfielder who can also fit in at centre back.

I don't want to assure that he is the same style of player as Keane, it's definitely a good type of player to have available.

Deadline Day Business. on 13:07 - Feb 2 with 3997 viewstruenorth

Deadline Day Business. on 12:56 - Feb 2 by TomRAFC

One of my favourite players in recent years, brief as his contribution was, is Keith Keane. A defensive midfielder who can also fit in at centre back.

I don't want to assure that he is the same style of player as Keane, it's definitely a good type of player to have available.

Agree TomRAFC, one of my fav players too. We always looked more solid when he sat in front of the back four, but his height was a worry when he dropped deeper.

We lack a leader at the back someone who can read the game, especially when O'Connell is injured. That tends to come with experience and not from a young utility player.

Great signings, but it doesn't help plug the leaky bucket.

TN

Poll: BBM or relegation?

Deadline Day Business. on 13:12 - Feb 2 with 3979 viewsTomRAFC

Deadline Day Business. on 13:07 - Feb 2 by truenorth

Agree TomRAFC, one of my fav players too. We always looked more solid when he sat in front of the back four, but his height was a worry when he dropped deeper.

We lack a leader at the back someone who can read the game, especially when O'Connell is injured. That tends to come with experience and not from a young utility player.

Great signings, but it doesn't help plug the leaky bucket.

TN

Very true, the lack of experience in the squad has been a concern.

McShane/Ryan being injured and JIm being JIm haven't helped. That's no dig at Jim as a bloke, by all accounts he seems like a much loved wise-head in the dressing room. On the pitch is a whole other matter.

Deadline Day Business. on 13:17 - Feb 2 with 3949 viewsmilnrowblue

Happy with the business we did do even with the little knowledge of the players, although missing out on any left back whatsoever when we’ve known about the issue for a few months is troubling.

Be very interesting to see any contract renewals over the coming months. Is ‘Transfermarkt’ is to be believed, our entire defence, Jimmy Keohane & Ryan, Lund, Lynch and Dooley are out of contract.

I’d take it like two new signings if we get Lund and O’Connell to renew.
Deadline Day Business. on 13:21 - Feb 2 with 3933 viewsDaleiLama

Deadline Day Business. on 12:48 - Feb 2 by D_Alien

What's a ring player?

I know Tavares is slight, but sounds like a sleight...

"Only a ring player lost"

Aragorne?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 13:22]

Deadline Day Business. on 14:11 - Feb 2 with 3753 viewsD_Alien

Deadline Day Business. on 13:21 - Feb 2 by DaleiLama

"Only a ring player lost"

Aragorne?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 13:22]

Had to look that up!* Never watched a single episode, or even a few minutes!

Overall, we're stronger squad-depth wise and also financially after this window so no complaints

Not landing a solid LB hasn't been for the want of trying, by all accounts, and no point landing yet another rookie or a crock for the sake of it

There's a lot of games tonight, including L1. Barely time for late signings to settle, and not playing is to our advantage

*Since googling it, i'm now inundated with adverts containing LOTR images - arrrghhhh!!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Deadline Day Business. on 14:21 - Feb 2 with 3723 viewsSaxonDale

Agree with what's been said previously. Incredibly frustrating to not land a left back but as said before it won't have been through lack of trying- club must also be commended in securing so many players in what would've been no doubt a difficult day logistically with COVID.

It'd be interesting to know what BBM's plans are going forward for left back, although Done has given arguably his best 2 performances from the position in the last 2 games he's not a long term solution and I fear he may get targeted over the next few weeks. Wouldn't be surprised to hear an in-depth interview with BBM over the next few days where he gives an honest assessment of squad injuries. An early return for O'Connell/ McShane could mean he can afford to juggle the defence around a bit and may see Osho as covering at fullback.

Don't know what free agents are available but would be concerned about how long it'd take them to get up to speed before the season finishes.
Deadline Day Business. on 14:41 - Feb 2 with 3660 viewsBrierls

Deadline Day Business. on 14:21 - Feb 2 by SaxonDale

Agree with what's been said previously. Incredibly frustrating to not land a left back but as said before it won't have been through lack of trying- club must also be commended in securing so many players in what would've been no doubt a difficult day logistically with COVID.

It'd be interesting to know what BBM's plans are going forward for left back, although Done has given arguably his best 2 performances from the position in the last 2 games he's not a long term solution and I fear he may get targeted over the next few weeks. Wouldn't be surprised to hear an in-depth interview with BBM over the next few days where he gives an honest assessment of squad injuries. An early return for O'Connell/ McShane could mean he can afford to juggle the defence around a bit and may see Osho as covering at fullback.

Don't know what free agents are available but would be concerned about how long it'd take them to get up to speed before the season finishes.

That pretty much echos my thoughts, with a slightly more positive tone.

If we hadn't been desperate for a left back, I'd look at the players that have come in (and gone to be honest) and consider it a successful window. However, we went into the window knowing we needed a left back and we didn't get one. I have no doubt BBM and his staff worked hard to bring a left back in (Mitchell), but to go into the rest of the season without a recognised left back, even a backup choice, is a failure in that area of recruitment.

I especially like the look of Shaughnessy and what's being said about him. The other lads look like they'll strengthen the squad. It will be nice to have options on the bench rather than bench warmers that you don't trust to make an impact.

I also agree on Done putting in his best two performances for a long time in the last two games. If he keeps that up, which I doubt, then we may just get away with it. Lets hope something has clicked.

I wouldn't want to move Osho from centre back, he's been very very solid. Get O'Connell back fit and you've got a really good pairing there. It may allow us to rotate Done and Roberts on the left side, and rotate McLaughlin and Keohane on the right side.

It would have been a great deadline day had we secured that left back.
Deadline Day Business. on 14:45 - Feb 2 with 3640 viewstony_roch975

Deadline Day Business. on 14:41 - Feb 2 by Brierls

That pretty much echos my thoughts, with a slightly more positive tone.

If we hadn't been desperate for a left back, I'd look at the players that have come in (and gone to be honest) and consider it a successful window. However, we went into the window knowing we needed a left back and we didn't get one. I have no doubt BBM and his staff worked hard to bring a left back in (Mitchell), but to go into the rest of the season without a recognised left back, even a backup choice, is a failure in that area of recruitment.

I especially like the look of Shaughnessy and what's being said about him. The other lads look like they'll strengthen the squad. It will be nice to have options on the bench rather than bench warmers that you don't trust to make an impact.

I also agree on Done putting in his best two performances for a long time in the last two games. If he keeps that up, which I doubt, then we may just get away with it. Lets hope something has clicked.

I wouldn't want to move Osho from centre back, he's been very very solid. Get O'Connell back fit and you've got a really good pairing there. It may allow us to rotate Done and Roberts on the left side, and rotate McLaughlin and Keohane on the right side.

It would have been a great deadline day had we secured that left back.

I think Done has put in reasonable performances all season at FB and will certainly cope for the rest of the season. How about a back 3 of Oshi, O'Connell & Roberts?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024