Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Opening Day Fixture 21:36 - Aug 12 with 1058 viewsSaintNick

Usually this would be about the time we would play the opening day fixture, what is everyone's favourite.

A few of mine would be West Brom home 1975, Man City home 1980, Notts Forest away 1983, West Ham home 1988, Man City away 2012,

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 21:55 - Aug 12 with 1033 viewsBoris_

Can you genuinely remember all of those games? Often when going to St Marys ( especially when I was a bit younger ) I'd have to watch Match of the Day the next morning to remind myself of the score... certainly would struggle to remember what games I enjoyed 20 years ago.

Poll: Claude Puel

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 21:55 - Aug 12 with 1033 viewsChesham_Saint

Man City home 1980? Steve Moran scoring with his first touch (by his foot) - his first actual contact being a header (I was studying him closely as he was a very close friend of a friend at the time).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 22:35 - Aug 12 with 992 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 21:55 - Aug 12 by Boris_

Can you genuinely remember all of those games? Often when going to St Marys ( especially when I was a bit younger ) I'd have to watch Match of the Day the next morning to remind myself of the score... certainly would struggle to remember what games I enjoyed 20 years ago.

One of the worst opening days I can remember was that home fixture against Crystal Palace when Saints were f**king awful and we lost 4-1. I remember being in the pub with you afterwards, Zeb bar was it (!?) feeling very p*ssed off.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 22:53 - Aug 12 with 969 viewsSaintsforeverj

We very rarely win opening day fixtures. A few of the rare victories on the opening day in recent memory are West Brom 0-1 Lambert penalty in the last minute. Coventry away 0- 1 I think, when Dave Jones was manager.

But the favourite for me, was beating Leeds 3-1 convincingly at St Mary's in the Championship. It really showed that we were in for a season of success and eventual promotion back to the Premier League. The buzz around the ground after that game, after promotion from league one the season before, was amazing. Most fans could just feel it, that another promotion was coming.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 22:55]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 00:19 - Aug 13 with 924 viewsPatfromPoole

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 22:53 - Aug 12 by Saintsforeverj

We very rarely win opening day fixtures. A few of the rare victories on the opening day in recent memory are West Brom 0-1 Lambert penalty in the last minute. Coventry away 0- 1 I think, when Dave Jones was manager.

But the favourite for me, was beating Leeds 3-1 convincingly at St Mary's in the Championship. It really showed that we were in for a season of success and eventual promotion back to the Premier League. The buzz around the ground after that game, after promotion from league one the season before, was amazing. Most fans could just feel it, that another promotion was coming.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 22:55]

I went to that 1-0 win at Cov in the late 90’s. A great day.

I might have to vote for that one!

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 01:21 - Aug 13 with 915 viewsBison

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 00:19 - Aug 13 by PatfromPoole

I went to that 1-0 win at Cov in the late 90’s. A great day.

I might have to vote for that one!

Was that an Egil goal that won it at Highfield Road ?

If so I went but didn't realise it was first game of season.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 01:49 - Aug 13 with 909 viewsTimSaint

86-87 for me - We started the season with a nice little 5-1 win over QPR.
Colin Clarke got a hat trick on his debut - think Wallace and Holmes got the other 2

The 4-0 win over the Hammers a couple of seasons later was great too.

The 1-0 win at Cov was definitely Ostenstadt scoring and also think it was Dean Richards' (RIP) debut.

Was at a wedding for the WBA game and we were sat in the car with radio and phone trying to find out the score, when they announced 'penalty at West Brom'. Your first thought is typical Saints throwing it away late on, but then to find out it was for us was amazing. Ricky never missed for us, so the 3 of us cheered for the penalty and erupted when the he scored to deliver the 3 points.

TimSaint

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 08:08 - Aug 13 with 855 viewsVagina_Dentata

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 22:35 - Aug 12 by Gennaro_Contaldo

One of the worst opening days I can remember was that home fixture against Crystal Palace when Saints were f**king awful and we lost 4-1. I remember being in the pub with you afterwards, Zeb bar was it (!?) feeling very p*ssed off.

The day Alan Bennett discovered footballs bounce.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 08:58 - Aug 13 with 838 viewsWints76

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 08:08 - Aug 13 by Vagina_Dentata

The day Alan Bennett discovered footballs bounce.

Ha ha yes, excellently put! That day was a shocker.

The West Ham, Cov and WBA games may have been better, but City in 2012 was amazing for the celebrations when we equalised. I was in the lower tier and ended up down the front, on the floor, my mobile in two pieces and my money all over the place.
Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:01 - Aug 13 with 833 viewsSaintNick

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 08:58 - Aug 13 by Wints76

The West Ham, Cov and WBA games may have been better, but City in 2012 was amazing for the celebrations when we equalised. I was in the lower tier and ended up down the front, on the floor, my mobile in two pieces and my money all over the place.

Kitty

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:05 - Aug 13 with 826 viewsWints76

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:01 - Aug 13 by SaintNick

Kitty

Actually, I think it was then that JJ gave Wiz the black eye because he went out with shorts on. Or something.
Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:08 - Aug 13 with 820 viewsSaintNick

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:05 - Aug 13 by Wints76

Actually, I think it was then that JJ gave Wiz the black eye because he went out with shorts on. Or something.

Those shorts you and Wiz seemed to ike wearing big shorts when in Manchester

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:10 - Aug 13 with 821 viewsDellHero_Would

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 01:21 - Aug 13 by Bison

Was that an Egil goal that won it at Highfield Road ?

If so I went but didn't realise it was first game of season.

Think it was...I remember that sh1thole of a pub next to the ground was full of Saints fans steamed of their head. Ravanelli was in the middle of it as usual back then. Motty got chucked out after about 30 minutes...

They’d signed a couple of fez wearers I seem to remember...A good away day and a rare away win on the opening day which was as rare as hens teeth in the 90s.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:27 - Aug 13 with 805 viewsdirk_doone

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 08:58 - Aug 13 by Wints76

I was there too and from our position we could see that Tevez was at at least a yard offside so we should have got a draw that day. If only there had been VAR. But we came away feeling relatively happy, because we could see from our performance that day that we would be good enough to survive in the Premier League.

The celebration reminded me of when we equalized against Man United in the League Cup Final but, unfortunately, the final result was the same.

For the sheer dominance of the performance, that 4-0 win v West Ham was the best. It was Paul Rideout's debut and it looked like we had signed a real star. That was one of our best starts ever and we were top of the league for a while.

It's funny but if you have an outstanding performance in the first or last game of a season, you remember it clearly forever, whereas even the details of mid-season games you were at recently can be quite blurry.

We frequently play Man City in August, often in the first or second fixture. Getting them in our first game in the top flight in 1966 was a bit disappointing though as we'd just been promoted together. The game ended the way most of our opening home fixtures do, with a draw. That's why I prefer it if our opening fixture is an away game.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 9:51]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:34 - Aug 13 with 796 viewsPatfromPoole

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:10 - Aug 13 by DellHero_Would

Think it was...I remember that sh1thole of a pub next to the ground was full of Saints fans steamed of their head. Ravanelli was in the middle of it as usual back then. Motty got chucked out after about 30 minutes...

They’d signed a couple of fez wearers I seem to remember...A good away day and a rare away win on the opening day which was as rare as hens teeth in the 90s.

It was indeed that game.

Interesting character, that Ravanelli chap (Graham). Does he still go to games?

I remember treating my wife to a minibus trip to Bradford away, a bit of a Foley’s Coaches relic. We were sat in front of Graham on the bus, he managed to almost fully fill a 4-litre bottle with piss in one go. It was a highly impressive feat, great for my wife to witness.

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:47 - Aug 13 with 778 viewsDellHero_Would

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:34 - Aug 13 by PatfromPoole

It was indeed that game.

Interesting character, that Ravanelli chap (Graham). Does he still go to games?

I remember treating my wife to a minibus trip to Bradford away, a bit of a Foley’s Coaches relic. We were sat in front of Graham on the bus, he managed to almost fully fill a 4-litre bottle with piss in one go. It was a highly impressive feat, great for my wife to witness.

Yeap that’ll be very same chap....I stopped going to games a while back. Last one at home was against Prague, I couldn’t be doing with the constant groaning and negativity., mostly from under 30s snowflakes...Go to a game and support the team, not groan every time one of ours touches the ball. And people wonder why we’re sh1t at home.

Did Palace last season which was a decent away day...Few and far between now...So I have t seen him for years.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:57 - Aug 13 with 766 viewsWints76

I saw Ravanelli in Basingstoke a couple of months ago. He looked really well and has calmed down an awful lot. He has given up going to the game though after becoming disillusioned with various things
Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 10:18 - Aug 13 with 751 viewsPatfromPoole

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:57 - Aug 13 by Wints76

I saw Ravanelli in Basingstoke a couple of months ago. He looked really well and has calmed down an awful lot. He has given up going to the game though after becoming disillusioned with various things

Basingrad?

Is this fast becoming the home of some of our more ,er, effervescent followers?

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 10:38 - Aug 13 with 738 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:57 - Aug 13 by Wints76

I wondered where he had gone, top bloke!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 15:45 - Aug 13 with 656 viewssaintwizzler

Favourite Opening Day Fixture on 09:05 - Aug 13 by Wints76

Premier Inn fire doors pack a punch.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024