Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Carnage? 13:11 - Dec 18 with 30614 viewsSadoldgit

Infection rates are generally rising fast despite the tier systems so you can imagine the spike after the free for all Christmas period. Johnson obviously doesn’t want to be seen as a Grinch but by not closing down Christmas there will be a lot fewer people enjoying it with their loved ones next year.
We are battening down the hatches this Christmas. I just hope that people are sensible and do the same. Sadly though I think people will just go for it and be damned.
Christmas Carnage? on 17:54 - Jan 7 with 1392 viewsBazza

Christmas Carnage? on 17:34 - Jan 7 by Sadoldgit

You are quite right and people will always make their own calls, but the rules/guidance needed to reflect the seriousness of the situation and by not locking down firmer sooner the government sent out the wrong message.

So you’re defending Irresponsible dangerous often childish behaviour ignoring the guidelines. Anything to continue your moan about the government
Christmas Carnage? on 18:00 - Jan 8 with 1294 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 17:54 - Jan 7 by Bazza

So you’re defending Irresponsible dangerous often childish behaviour ignoring the guidelines. Anything to continue your moan about the government

I wouldn’t moan about the government if there was nothing to moan about. Look at the mortality rate today, a record high. It is entirely possible that it would have been lower if they had been more decisive and firmer over Christmas restrictions. It isn’t just me complaining about the government, there are millions doing likewise.
Christmas Carnage? on 18:02 - Jan 8 with 1291 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 18:00 - Jan 8 by Sadoldgit

I wouldn’t moan about the government if there was nothing to moan about. Look at the mortality rate today, a record high. It is entirely possible that it would have been lower if they had been more decisive and firmer over Christmas restrictions. It isn’t just me complaining about the government, there are millions doing likewise.

firmer how?

what would you have done and how much would it have cost?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Christmas Carnage? on 18:05 - Jan 8 with 1288 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 18:00 - Jan 8 by Sadoldgit

But balance your argument. Complain about the selfish people not following the rules ( that the government set) as well. Even now, there was a gym in Southampton that refused to close down. People are to blame too right?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Christmas Carnage? on 18:09 - Jan 8 with 1281 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 18:05 - Jan 8 by Saintsforeverj

But balance your argument. Complain about the selfish people not following the rules ( that the government set) as well. Even now, there was a gym in Southampton that refused to close down. People are to blame too right?

FFS. You're not allowed to say that many of these new cases only have themselves to blame.

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 18:29 - Jan 8 with 1247 viewsBicester_North

Christmas Carnage? on 18:09 - Jan 8 by 1885_SFC

FFS. You're not allowed to say that many of these new cases only have themselves to blame.

I see a senior NHS registrar in London today blamed ICU’s being currently overwhelmed on Christmas mixing.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Christmas Carnage? on 18:37 - Jan 8 with 1233 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sogs has a point in that the time had come for the government to stop pussy footing around. We have all seen the cases today. I am hearing of schools still being up to 50 % full with vulnerable and key worker children. For goodness sake, close the schools entirely except for the extremely in need, close the borders, suspend football, get the Army on the street, Italian style and get a grip on this! But had people been following the rules, it wouldn't have been necessary?

But what Sogs won't do, is come on here with some balance and admit that Scotland, Wales and many other places were also late to lock down:it wasn't just here. Scotland only announced a national lockdown on Monday.He won't admit that the government set the tier 4 rules and many people didn't follow them. He won't admit that an unexpected new variant arrived at the last minute. Those things are relevant.

Come on Sogs, I have just written a balanced post. The government may have made mistakes, here and in many places but stay at home, don't open gyms, don't mix at Christmas even though you can, are simple instructions that some just ignored. We didn't mix with anyone at Christmas because we knew it wasn't sensible: others did. A gym opened illegally in Southampton and people attended. Who can you blame for that?

Christmas Carnage? on 18:40 - Jan 8 with 1230 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 18:29 - Jan 8 by Bicester_North

I see a senior NHS registrar in London today blamed ICU’s being currently overwhelmed on Christmas mixing.

I've just seen the BBC report from a London Covid hospital ward which said a lot of the new patients are in their 20's and 30's.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Carnage? on 21:07 - Jan 8 with 1192 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 18:37 - Jan 8 by Saintsforeverj

Sogs has a point in that the time had come for the government to stop pussy footing around. We have all seen the cases today. I am hearing of schools still being up to 50 % full with vulnerable and key worker children. For goodness sake, close the schools entirely except for the extremely in need, close the borders, suspend football, get the Army on the street, Italian style and get a grip on this! But had people been following the rules, it wouldn't have been necessary?

But what Sogs won't do, is come on here with some balance and admit that Scotland, Wales and many other places were also late to lock down:it wasn't just here. Scotland only announced a national lockdown on Monday.He won't admit that the government set the tier 4 rules and many people didn't follow them. He won't admit that an unexpected new variant arrived at the last minute. Those things are relevant.

Come on Sogs, I have just written a balanced post. The government may have made mistakes, here and in many places but stay at home, don't open gyms, don't mix at Christmas even though you can, are simple instructions that some just ignored. We didn't mix with anyone at Christmas because we knew it wasn't sensible: others did. A gym opened illegally in Southampton and people attended. Who can you blame for that?

Sadly idiots will be idiots. Clearly it is not the governments fault if people are stupid. Sadly though it seems as if Johnson was afraid of being The Grinch and put off making a tough call re the lockdown until it was too late. We cancelled Christmas as I expect many people did. Many people though will have taken the lack of a serious lockdown message to go ahead and have loads of people round. Many of them are paying a high price now and the mortality figures will only increase over the next week or so just because we were told that the rules could relaxed for a few days.
Christmas Carnage? on 21:37 - Jan 8 with 1172 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 21:07 - Jan 8 by Sadoldgit

Sadly idiots will be idiots. Clearly it is not the governments fault if people are stupid. Sadly though it seems as if Johnson was afraid of being The Grinch and put off making a tough call re the lockdown until it was too late. We cancelled Christmas as I expect many people did. Many people though will have taken the lack of a serious lockdown message to go ahead and have loads of people round. Many of them are paying a high price now and the mortality figures will only increase over the next week or so just because we were told that the rules could relaxed for a few days.

It was the same in Scotland too. They didn't lockdown until Monday too. It's a big decision for any government to shut down the economy and that's why they delayed. In hindsight, probably the wrong decision for us Scotland, Wales and various other countries. But how many would have got together on Christmas day anyway? So many people have been ignoring the rules. I have seen people in the supermarket without masks etc. One thing I would say, is that the government needs to tell the nation - this is a national emergency. You are risking your life, you could die, stay at home rather than a milder message.

Christmas Carnage? on 10:39 - Jan 9 with 1113 viewsBerber

Where I live, the case rates are being led by the 20-50 year old age bands. Children, schoolkids up to 20 and people over 55 are about 1/3 - 1/2 of the others. It is NOT schools, despite what the teachers and their unions want to make people believe.
Christmas Carnage? on 13:14 - Jan 9 with 1078 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 21:37 - Jan 8 by Saintsforeverj

It was the same in Scotland too. They didn't lockdown until Monday too. It's a big decision for any government to shut down the economy and that's why they delayed. In hindsight, probably the wrong decision for us Scotland, Wales and various other countries. But how many would have got together on Christmas day anyway? So many people have been ignoring the rules. I have seen people in the supermarket without masks etc. One thing I would say, is that the government needs to tell the nation - this is a national emergency. You are risking your life, you could die, stay at home rather than a milder message.

Yes, it is a massive decision to shut down the economy and it would have been a massive decision to shut down Christmas, but if we have learned one thing about this pandemic it is that you have to take drastic measures early and by leaving it to after Christmas the damage was done. What is scary is that people will be vaccinated now but will still die because they have already been infected and the vaccine will not kick in in time. It is also scary that there are still deniers out there who are playing down the seriousness of this virus. It is heartening to see another vaccine on its way and the current programme is building up numbers, but on the downside we are going through the worst phase of the pandemic so far.
Christmas Carnage? on 15:36 - Jan 9 with 1042 viewsSadoldgit

Government scientific advisers now saying lockdown needs to be tighter. I didn’t work in the first lockdown but am working at the moment. The place is closed and I am the only one there doing accounts, paperwork, answering the phone and emails etc but have no interaction with the public. I expect to be told to stay home this week though which is a bu gger as we need the cash and as I am self employed I get no help from the government.
The thing is, although many of the shops are closed in the town there are still way more people out and about than in the first lockdown. Things seem less regimented in the supermarkets too. I’m not sure what the next step is, but given the way the death rate is rising, you would expect people to take greater care of themselves and others.
Christmas Carnage? on 15:39 - Jan 9 with 1037 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 15:36 - Jan 9 by Sadoldgit

Government scientific advisers now saying lockdown needs to be tighter. I didn’t work in the first lockdown but am working at the moment. The place is closed and I am the only one there doing accounts, paperwork, answering the phone and emails etc but have no interaction with the public. I expect to be told to stay home this week though which is a bu gger as we need the cash and as I am self employed I get no help from the government.
The thing is, although many of the shops are closed in the town there are still way more people out and about than in the first lockdown. Things seem less regimented in the supermarkets too. I’m not sure what the next step is, but given the way the death rate is rising, you would expect people to take greater care of themselves and others.

At some point, people have to take responsibility. Unless we go full-on China style lockdown. this is it....

Most people who get it, would not have if they locked themselves down properly.

Christmas Carnage? on 15:53 - Jan 9 with 1030 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 15:39 - Jan 9 by JaySaint

At some point, people have to take responsibility. Unless we go full-on China style lockdown. this is it....

As we have been saying all along though Jay, some people either don’t take responsibility or don’t understand how serious this is. The only way to ensure that you don’t get it is to stop interacting with others completely which, as we know, is not possible.Government guidelines or instructions are crucial as the majority of people will take their lead from what those are. Sadly though some idiots will continue to think that this doesn’t affect them and carry on regardless. The problem we have at the moment was the relaxation of rules over Christmas and we shall be paying the price of that for weeks to come.
Christmas Carnage? on 15:59 - Jan 9 with 1022 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 15:53 - Jan 9 by Sadoldgit

As we have been saying all along though Jay, some people either don’t take responsibility or don’t understand how serious this is. The only way to ensure that you don’t get it is to stop interacting with others completely which, as we know, is not possible.Government guidelines or instructions are crucial as the majority of people will take their lead from what those are. Sadly though some idiots will continue to think that this doesn’t affect them and carry on regardless. The problem we have at the moment was the relaxation of rules over Christmas and we shall be paying the price of that for weeks to come.

but people were free to make a choice over xmas.

no use ignoring the guidelines then complain when it all goes wrong

Christmas Carnage? on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1019 viewsDorsetIan

More victim shaming.

You have no idea of how ‚most people‘ got the virus.

But we do know than most who die are over 80, many in care homes. These are hardly your party-on ‚I don’t give a sh1t‘ types.

There are idiots about but it’s not necessarily the idiots that cop it.

Blame the idiots for being idiots but unless you have direct knowledge of a particular victim having caught the virus because they were one of the idiots, shut the f*ck up about victims being to blame.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Christmas Carnage? on 16:19 - Jan 9 with 1011 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 16:04 - Jan 9 by DorsetIan

More victim shaming.

But we do know than most who die are over 80, many in care homes. These are hardly your party-on ‚I don’t give a sh1t‘ types.

Blame the idiots for being idiots but unless you have direct knowledge of a particular victim having caught the virus because they were one of the idiots, shut the f*ck up about victims being to blame.

ark at her

Christmas Carnage? on 16:23 - Jan 9 with 1006 viewsgrumpy

'Most people who get it, would not have if they locked themselves down properly'

Are you serious?

What about Hospital Doctors,Nurses,Teachers, Carers etc?
Christmas Carnage? on 16:32 - Jan 9 with 998 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 16:04 - Jan 9 by DorsetIan

More victim shaming.

Christ you don't half talk some shíte mate.

Here's a fact for you Ian. I've highlighted the word 'fact' especially for you - because it's not 'A friend of a friend' or a 'Did you hear about so-and-so...' scenario. It's FACT.

The Mrs works at one of the large 4 supermarkets. Luckily she works in the admin offices & not on the shop floor. She was taking a ciggie n coffee break a few days before Xmas in a designated shelter. A guy there, mid-30's, was giving it the Charlie Bigbollix about how he wasn't going to let Boris ruin his Christmas & he was going to change nothing this year because Christmas meant a lot to him & his family.

He's just posted on Facebook (on Thursday) that both him & his mother-in-law have just tested positive for Covid19. There were other family members there - almost certainly young kids. Sure, the kids will probably be okay - as will he being mid 30's - but that isn't the point is it?

Enough direct knowledge for you?

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 16:42 - Jan 9 with 989 viewsSaintsforeverj

Christmas Carnage? on 15:36 - Jan 9 by Sadoldgit

I think there is a need to more robustly get a grip on this. I am worried for the NHS staff and victims to this virus. I am getting more and more annoyed by members of the public and the deniers not taking this seriously. Just popped out for exercise and see loads of cars on the road. If people don't stay at home, the virus will spread. The answer will be more robust enforcement. Get the Army on the streets and get tough with these spreaders.

Christmas Carnage? on 16:53 - Jan 9 with 980 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 16:23 - Jan 9 by grumpy

'Most people who get it, would not have if they locked themselves down properly'

Are you serious?

What about Hospital Doctors,Nurses,Teachers, Carers etc?

How many of those are being killed?
none. The BBC would be all over it if true.

Christmas Carnage? on 16:54 - Jan 9 with 976 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 16:42 - Jan 9 by Saintsforeverj

I think there is a need to more robustly get a grip on this. I am worried for the NHS staff and victims to this virus. I am getting more and more annoyed by members of the public and the deniers not taking this seriously. Just popped out for exercise and see loads of cars on the road. If people don't stay at home, the virus will spread. The answer will be more robust enforcement. Get the Army on the streets and get tough with these spreaders.

Another 1,035 deaths today and 59,937 infections - and we've yet to see the NYE figures hit their peak.

80,000 dead. That is a shocking number whatever the politics. Where's it all going to end?

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 16:56 - Jan 9 with 972 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 16:54 - Jan 9 by 1885_SFC

Another 1,035 deaths today and 59,937 infections - and we've yet to see the NYE figures hit their peak.

80,000 dead. That is a shocking number whatever the politics. Where's it all going to end?

in other news, just seen a clip of (old) people moaning about having to queue up in the cold to get the jab.

We are such a selfish country.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2021 17:03]

Christmas Carnage? on 16:56 - Jan 9 with 970 viewsSadoldgit

Over 80,000 dead now. Only the US, Brazil, India and Mexico have higher mortality rates.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024