Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media 10:23 - Jan 19 with 950 viewsSaintNick

One of the most ironic things I have read of late is those posts on social media from Saints supporters ranting that they are going to demand their season ticket refunds as it is paying players with obscene wages and football is cack nowadays and then in their next post's will rant that a man in China won't spend some of his money to buy more overpriced players on higher obscene wages

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 12:00 - Jan 19 with 882 viewsTripleNiemi

The trouble is nowadays there is very little 'balance' and fair reflection. This is one reason i am not on Social Media and the like as i would simply wind myself (and no doubt others) up.

Christ, when i post i know i have at times been negative but i often try to be balanced and see both sides or at least back up any claims with some degree of fact. Facts though is a term that also needs explaining to some.

If you are that stressed about claiming ST monies back then one must ask why the fcuk you purchased it in the first place.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:01]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 13:16 - Jan 19 with 823 viewsSonicBoom

I think those are two entirely separate issues Nick to be fair but I know what you mean.

Those supporters that have a meltdown and threaten to demand a refund on their season tickets are usually just attention seeking weirdos. The usual answer should be "well go on then, no one will give a toss if you do".

Gao on the other hand is in the rarefied atmosphere of football club ownership where your contemporaries are anything from multimillionaires, to billionaire oligarchs, to sovereign oil states.
If you want to join that company then fans can be forgiven for being disappointed when it turns out that their owner is not in that bracket.
The premier league is marketed as the richest league in the world etc etc and is awash with money. That doesn't really tie in with the messages we get saying that Saints have no additional investment and can only spend what they bring in.
I'm not saying prudence isn't the correct approach, I'm just saying that you can see why certain elements of the fanbase get agitated when they are sold a league of excess but get a message of austerity from their owner.
The fans look at Gao and have never understood why he wanted to buy us. Is he a huge football fan? I've no idea.
Does he have a burning desire to win the premier league? Not as far as we can tell.

Gao knew in advance that to actually compete top end requires big money. So he knew that with his strategy the chances are we would be mid table with a chance of relegation. Why would he want to own the club under those terms? What does he get from it? It's never been clear. A lot of people assumed that buying Saints allowed him to get his money out of China - which may have been the case but I would have thought there we less risky ways to invest his money to achieve that.
I can only conclude he either enjoys the "kudos" of being a PL owner, or that he hopes that at some point a real Paul Allen type will come along and turn his 200 million investment into a 300 million pound sale.
As for the fans, I can understand the frustration of playing these big teams and selling our best players to them, but knowing that we can't actually genuinely compete.
The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 13:32 - Jan 19 with 808 viewsdwayne_dibley

does it all matter, it is just hot air and yesterdays chip paper (subject to chippies actually being open)

it is all about the PL not wanting to refund money to the TV companies

if the net virus mutation does not erase humankind the lack of new antibiotics will

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 14:55 - Jan 19 with 772 viewsBerber

Last year, the Chinese government enforced a ban on exporting funds. Gao makes his money predominamntly in China. If he suddenly starts pouring whatever business funds available outside of China into the club, he will need to replenish that with funds from China, and attract the attention of the Chinese government. I think we can all understand that their history of arresting, punishing and disappearing individuals they are not happy with would be a good reason for Gao not to put large amounts of funds into the club. He and the board had the foresight to get business loans organised to overcome any short term impact of the ban. Covid has meant that reduced income has exacerbated the funding problem.

I can remember driving past Toys R Us with my kids in the back wailing to go in and buy toys. Some supporters are like that, though to be fair, kids don't understand home economics.
The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 16:00 - Jan 19 with 737 viewsButty101

Your problem is Nick that you havent made the transition from supporter to customer. The club sees its fan base now days as as just that. They really wont care if you have had a season ticket for the last 30years. In all honestsy they would rather have a day tripper than you at the ground (when its allowed) as they will spend money on tat from the shop.

As for the owner, why shouldnt he protect his asset by investing money in it?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 16:15 - Jan 19 with 725 viewsSaintsforeverj

When you look at the money wasted by West Ham, Chelsea(who saw Werner missing sitters the other day?), to name just a few, with Saints sitting in 8th, the approach seems ok doesn't it. I would rather buy an Armstrong, Redmond, Adams than a Werner, Pogba, Haller etc (who have been less impressive than the players we have bought for less). But the frustration is hearing that we are really poor and in debt, which does make you wonder why Gao bought the club. To run a club in debt, playing the youth? For the enjoyment of being 12th? Who knows. Most know that it was probably for his own needs. He doesn't help himself either imo, not saying anything ever.

On the other hand, I have been impressed with Semmens, in awe of Ralph and the 35 pounds voucher was a nice touch. The refunds are more about the promise made, than people needing the money. People bought their ST with an agreement (actually a promise) that they would be refunded within 14 days. They haven't so fans have questioned why this is. But there you go. Semmens and Ralph run the club well and I do think the club is trying hard to be good to the fans, but there are question marks in some areas.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:16]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 16:36 - Jan 19 with 700 viewskingslandstand1

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 12:00 - Jan 19 by TripleNiemi

The trouble is nowadays there is very little 'balance' and fair reflection. This is one reason i am not on Social Media and the like as i would simply wind myself (and no doubt others) up.

Christ, when i post i know i have at times been negative but i often try to be balanced and see both sides or at least back up any claims with some degree of fact. Facts though is a term that also needs explaining to some.

If you are that stressed about claiming ST monies back then one must ask why the fcuk you purchased it in the first place.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:01]

"If you are that stressed about claiming ST monies back then one must ask why the fcuk you purchased it in the first place."

To claim to be a loyal supporter cos they've been a season ticket hold for 98 years or something so claim they can moan like fuk if they want!
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:17 - Jan 19 with 653 viewsChesham_Saint

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

The Most Ironic Thing On Saints Social Media on 20:00 - Jan 19 with 597 viewsInsideOut

Everyone who uses social media is ironic in my book

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024