Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph Hasenhuttl 08:31 - Jun 10 with 12229 viewsMattFinish

For years we've been needing a manager who sees Saints as a long term project. We finally have one in Ralph and there's people on here who want him out because we had a poor second half of the season.
What exactly do these people expect the manager to do with this squad and investment.
With an investment record only slightly better than Norwich, somehow Ralph got us to top of the league, for a time in the top 6 and a semi final.
Our bench and first team was regularly filled with inexperienced youth team players and we had no back up for crucial positions.
Yet we still competed and finished 2 points behind 12th place. There were few games where we lost and played badly. A lot of defeats could have been victories if we'd taken our chances.
Yet some people on here think a cup semi final, occupying top spot for the first time in 32 years and mid table finish wasn't good enough with this squad. Unbelievable.
Ralph needs the backing of the owner and the supporters and maybe he can build something we all want.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 8:32]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:18 - Jun 15 with 1102 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 12:57 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

Poor or terrible matches
Palace A
Spurs H
Man U H
Villa H
Arsenal H
Leicester A
Man U A
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Leeds A
Everton A
Man C A
Brighton H
West Brom A
Spurs A
Liverpool A
Leeds H
West Ham A

So that’s 18 poor or worse
20 decent or good

The problem is some of those were so shockingly bad it exaggerated things

Man U, Newcastle, West Ham etc
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 12:58]

Palace (a) and WBA (a) were bad performances that we should have done much better. Brighton (h) was a bad result but could have gone either way.

How you can say Villa (h) was a poor performance? That was the game where Matty Cash made a brilliant save at 0-0 and unbelievably VAR refused a penalty. Otherwise, we played them off the pitch and don’t forget they spent £81m and sold no-one that season

Man City (a) - okay we lost 5-2 and the Ralph out brigade said he should have shut up shop. Fulham shut up shop the following week and lost 3-0. Pep said Saints was one of the hardest games they had.

A lot of people bang on about the Newcastle away game as if we had a divine right to beat Newcastle at St James Park. Okay they went down to 10 men but the weather was atrocious which meant we had to keep hoofing the ball into their box and they packed their defence. We couldn’t play along the ground because the ball wouldn’t run on the waterlogged pitch. We absolutely battered them. But again, I don’t get why people think we should have won the game. Newcastle brought a Swedish international right back off the bench and a £40 striker. Their un-used subs included Andy Carrol, Dwight Gayle, Ryan Fraser and Matt Ritchie. Our bench had Tella, Ramsay, N'Lundulu, Finnigan, Watts and Chauke on it. Newcastle’s squad cost £238m

There were a lot of games where we created chances and didn’t take them and goal keeping errors or defensive frailties did for us. That’s because we haven’t got a good enough squad and you can’t blame the manager for that. The Villa game at home for example. Stephens completely left Barkley unmarked and they did a smash and grab. We didn’t have cover for Vestergaard. Stephens is a championship player at best.

Personally, I think our results started to suffer when Ings’s contract negotiations started. For the second half of the season, he looked like a player who knew he was off. He was playing within himself, presumably so he didn’t get injured before he was off.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 17:19]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 15 with 1054 viewsBicester_North

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:18 - Jun 15 by MattFinish

Palace (a) and WBA (a) were bad performances that we should have done much better. Brighton (h) was a bad result but could have gone either way.

How you can say Villa (h) was a poor performance? That was the game where Matty Cash made a brilliant save at 0-0 and unbelievably VAR refused a penalty. Otherwise, we played them off the pitch and don’t forget they spent £81m and sold no-one that season

Man City (a) - okay we lost 5-2 and the Ralph out brigade said he should have shut up shop. Fulham shut up shop the following week and lost 3-0. Pep said Saints was one of the hardest games they had.

A lot of people bang on about the Newcastle away game as if we had a divine right to beat Newcastle at St James Park. Okay they went down to 10 men but the weather was atrocious which meant we had to keep hoofing the ball into their box and they packed their defence. We couldn’t play along the ground because the ball wouldn’t run on the waterlogged pitch. We absolutely battered them. But again, I don’t get why people think we should have won the game. Newcastle brought a Swedish international right back off the bench and a £40 striker. Their un-used subs included Andy Carrol, Dwight Gayle, Ryan Fraser and Matt Ritchie. Our bench had Tella, Ramsay, N'Lundulu, Finnigan, Watts and Chauke on it. Newcastle’s squad cost £238m

There were a lot of games where we created chances and didn’t take them and goal keeping errors or defensive frailties did for us. That’s because we haven’t got a good enough squad and you can’t blame the manager for that. The Villa game at home for example. Stephens completely left Barkley unmarked and they did a smash and grab. We didn’t have cover for Vestergaard. Stephens is a championship player at best.

Personally, I think our results started to suffer when Ings’s contract negotiations started. For the second half of the season, he looked like a player who knew he was off. He was playing within himself, presumably so he didn’t get injured before he was off.

Newcastle 20 minutes with 9 men and we didn’t have a clue how to attack them, that match was a shambles

The Villa match you’re right the ref did for us in that one.

I don’t like “Pep” praising us he always does that if the oppo plays football and makes it easier for them to score.

I like Ralph, (although the crying after Liverpool was ridiculous in my view) and agree about the squad and defensive errors. Would be good to see what he could do with a proper squad instead of half a squad.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:45 - Jun 15 with 1013 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 17:18 - Jun 15 by MattFinish

I don’t agree with your point about Ings, not only is he a Saints fan but he is a solid pro. He would have also wanted to perform well to get into the England squad. If he was so desperate to leave then it is in his interest to play well and attract the better clubs. I don’t think he was fully fit and was rushed back. As for why our form fell away, we had been playing with confidence and bravery as Ralph would put it, but that eroded with injuries to key players and poor decisions. We have talked about a certain mental fragility in the squad and that was very apparent when things did not go our way.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:51 - Jun 15 with 1006 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:49 - Jun 15 by Bicester_North

Newcastle 20 minutes with 9 men and we didn’t have a clue how to attack them, that match was a shambles

The Villa match you’re right the ref did for us in that one.

I don’t like “Pep” praising us he always does that if the oppo plays football and makes it easier for them to score.

I like Ralph, (although the crying after Liverpool was ridiculous in my view) and agree about the squad and defensive errors. Would be good to see what he could do with a proper squad instead of half a squad.

His record says what he is capable of.

In October 2013 he took over at FC Ingolstadt 04 who were bottom of Bundesliga 2 and he took them to 10th place. In the 2014—15 season, he took Ingolstadt to the Bundesliga for the first time, finishing the season as Bundesliga 2 champions. The following season when Ingolstadt were favourites for the drop he finished them in 11th spot.

He then joined Red Bull Leipzig and took them to Bundesliga runners up in his first season and Champions League football. The next season Leipzig finished 6th and took RB to the Europa League quarter finals before leaving and joining Saints.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:53 - Jun 15 with 1004 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:51 - Jun 15 by I_would

All Ralph's detractors are hoping for is for him to play a system that the whole squad buys in to and that they can sustain their performances for 90 mins without letting 3 goals in per game.

Do we know that the whole of the squad doesn’t buy into his system?
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:01 - Jun 15 with 999 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 16:22 - Jun 15 by MattFinish

Congratulations, what have they got them in?

Thanks Matt! One has got her degree in English Literature and Creative Writing and the other in Art and Animation. Degrees don’t seem to help so much in getting jobs nowadays but one wants to be a journalist and the other a commercial artist so I’m hoping that these are helpful as they are more vocational.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:14 - Jun 15 with 987 viewsDellHero_Would

‘I love the smell of napalm in the morning”. One of my favourite lines in a movie. 🤭

Poll: Wearing a mask

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 15:49 - Jun 16 with 904 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:01 - Jun 15 by Sadoldgit

Thanks Matt! One has got her degree in English Literature and Creative Writing and the other in Art and Animation. Degrees don’t seem to help so much in getting jobs nowadays but one wants to be a journalist and the other a commercial artist so I’m hoping that these are helpful as they are more vocational.

Obviously creative genes in there somewhere SoG.

Good luck to them in their chosen professions
Login to get fewer ads

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:31 - Jun 16 with 850 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 15:49 - Jun 16 by MattFinish

Obviously creative genes in there somewhere SoG.

Good luck to them in their chosen professions

So looking at first 8 games. Last season Ralph only managed 3 draws in those eight games. If he repeated that then it’s time to say goodbye. It would mean 30 odd games and 10 or so points

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:45 - Jun 16 with 815 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 18:31 - Jun 16 by Butty101

So looking at first 8 games. Last season Ralph only managed 3 draws in those eight games. If he repeated that then it’s time to say goodbye. It would mean 30 odd games and 10 or so points

So with this squad where do you think we should have finished this season? Bearing in mind we sacrificed 2 league games to proceed in the Cup?
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:50 - Jun 16 with 778 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 20:45 - Jun 16 by MattFinish

So with this squad where do you think we should have finished this season? Bearing in mind we sacrificed 2 league games to proceed in the Cup?

Are you taking the pee! Sacrificed 2 games ffs
Th bookies at the beginning of last season had us down for 11th or 12th. So that was par.
People stop needing to make excuses for Ralph, this Calander year has been a disaster and he’s lucky we probably can’t afford to sack him.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 22:12 - Jun 16 with 775 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:50 - Jun 16 by Butty101

Th bookies at the beginning of last season had us down for 11th or 12th. So that was par.
People stop needing to make excuses for Ralph, this Calander year has been a disaster and he’s lucky we probably can’t afford to sack him.

I keep hearing this. We do have some money and could afford to sack him. The board don’t want to sack him and what you call excuses are reasons. You don’t have to like the reasons but it is a hard fact that Ralph was not supported in the January transfer window when we were desperate for a quality full back and has had to work with a very thin squad.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 22:33 - Jun 16 with 766 viewsSaintsforeverj

It's a tough start for Saints. Everton away will likely be a defeat. Then man U at home. Ralph will be under huge pressure right from the off. If the club think our PL status is under threat, they will sack him, if not they won't. It is all about money at Saints rather than success because if we are short of money as reported, they won't want to waste 6 million or more paying him off. Plus, Ralph has arguably done enough to not be sacked with this squad. We stayed up. But under the current regime, I don't think it would make much difference long term who is manager without any money to spend on the team.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 22:37]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 22:41 - Jun 16 with 751 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 22:12 - Jun 16 by Sadoldgit

I keep hearing this. We do have some money and could afford to sack him. The board don’t want to sack him and what you call excuses are reasons. You don’t have to like the reasons but it is a hard fact that Ralph was not supported in the January transfer window when we were desperate for a quality full back and has had to work with a very thin squad.

How do you know we have the money to sack him. The ridiculous cost cutting measures the club have gone to suggests otherwise.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 23:29 - Jun 16 with 742 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 22:41 - Jun 16 by Butty101

How do you know we have the money to sack him. The ridiculous cost cutting measures the club have gone to suggests otherwise.

Because we have money to buy players. How much do you think it would cost to sack him? It would cost us a lot more if we went down. Why didn’t the previous managers not get sacked because we didn’t have the money. If they want someone gone they find the money.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 06:51 - Jun 17 with 696 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 21:50 - Jun 16 by Butty101

I think you're taking the pee mate.
So you think sack the manager because we didn't finish where the bookies predicted?
We finished 2 points off 12th place. Are you saying sack the manager because we didn't get 2 points more? Aston Villa spent over £100m and finished 11th. Are you saying we should have finished above them?
Did the bookies have us getting to the cup semi final? No.
The problem is the people on here with an agenda against Ralph seem to think because he got us to top place we should have somehow stayed there or thereabouts. Now that's taking the p1ss
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:00 - Jun 17 with 679 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 23:29 - Jun 16 by Sadoldgit

Because we have money to buy players. How much do you think it would cost to sack him? It would cost us a lot more if we went down. Why didn’t the previous managers not get sacked because we didn’t have the money. If they want someone gone they find the money.

We don’t have money to buy players. It looks like we are waiting for Gunn to move on before we can get a left back in.
In the last 5years we have had no spare cash to spend on transfers, so I’m not after a pandemic why you think the club is awash with money.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:07 - Jun 17 with 668 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:00 - Jun 17 by Butty101

We don’t have money to buy players. It looks like we are waiting for Gunn to move on before we can get a left back in.
In the last 5years we have had no spare cash to spend on transfers, so I’m not after a pandemic why you think the club is awash with money.

Exactly. But you're saying Ralph should have finished us in 11th place, above Villa who spent £104m
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:35 - Jun 17 with 648 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 06:51 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

I think you're taking the pee mate.
So you think sack the manager because we didn't finish where the bookies predicted?
We finished 2 points off 12th place. Are you saying sack the manager because we didn't get 2 points more? Aston Villa spent over £100m and finished 11th. Are you saying we should have finished above them?
Did the bookies have us getting to the cup semi final? No.
The problem is the people on here with an agenda against Ralph seem to think because he got us to top place we should have somehow stayed there or thereabouts. Now that's taking the p1ss

Nice bit of twisting Matt! I didn’t say he should be sacked for finishing 15th. You asked me where we should of finished and I gave you the bookies par. So try a bit harder to keep to topic!
Why I think it’s time for someone new, is that the last 2/3’s of the season has been appalling. 19 points from the last 25 games has us bottom of the form table. The performances were terrible chucked in with another 9-0 hammering!

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:40 - Jun 17 with 641 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:07 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

Exactly. But you're saying Ralph should have finished us in 11th place, above Villa who spent £104m

Matt if you are going to debate something, rather than continually jumping to the wrong conclusions try reading my posts. Were did I say we must finish above villa?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:22 - Jun 17 with 619 viewsMattFinish

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 07:35 - Jun 17 by Butty101

Nice bit of twisting Matt! I didn’t say he should be sacked for finishing 15th. You asked me where we should of finished and I gave you the bookies par. So try a bit harder to keep to topic!
Why I think it’s time for someone new, is that the last 2/3’s of the season has been appalling. 19 points from the last 25 games has us bottom of the form table. The performances were terrible chucked in with another 9-0 hammering!

Nice bit of dodging Butty. I asked you where with this squad you thought we should have finished and you said "The bookies at the beginning of last season had us down for 11th or 12th. So that was par."

The whole argument of the Ralph 'detractors' seems to revolve around the position we were in at mid-season and how miraculously he should have maintained that with half of our first team/bench filled with inexperienced youth team players. Even Diallo and Salisu were massively inexperienced young players.

Ralph started the season with a full strength team with no injuries and showed what he could do if backed properly. As soon as we started getting injuries and players started to tire because we had to keep playing the same set of players our form dropped off.

Yet we still finished within 2 points of where the bookies predicted so as you say that is par.

So for the purpose of debate, and try not to be a politician, I’ll ask you again exactly where you think we should have finished.

Personally with that squad I think we should have spent the season in the thick of a relegation battle and if you told me in August last year that we would spend f*** all, top the table in October, get to a semi final and finish 2 points off 12th place I’d say you were taking the pee.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 8:23]
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:21 - Jun 17 with 603 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 08:22 - Jun 17 by MattFinish

Nice bit of dodging Butty. I asked you where with this squad you thought we should have finished and you said "The bookies at the beginning of last season had us down for 11th or 12th. So that was par."

The whole argument of the Ralph 'detractors' seems to revolve around the position we were in at mid-season and how miraculously he should have maintained that with half of our first team/bench filled with inexperienced youth team players. Even Diallo and Salisu were massively inexperienced young players.

Ralph started the season with a full strength team with no injuries and showed what he could do if backed properly. As soon as we started getting injuries and players started to tire because we had to keep playing the same set of players our form dropped off.

Yet we still finished within 2 points of where the bookies predicted so as you say that is par.

So for the purpose of debate, and try not to be a politician, I’ll ask you again exactly where you think we should have finished.

Personally with that squad I think we should have spent the season in the thick of a relegation battle and if you told me in August last year that we would spend f*** all, top the table in October, get to a semi final and finish 2 points off 12th place I’d say you were taking the pee.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 8:23]

You still havent grasped why i think Ralph should go. At no point have i said that he should be sacked for finishing 15th.
The first 1/3 of the season we over performed. The last 2/3's of the season we ended bottom of the form table with 19 points from 26 games. If he repeats last seasons results over the first 8 games of the season, it will be 22 points from 34 games. Are you happy with that do you think thats par?
When you factor in he has over seen two 9-0 drubbings, the football was pretty awful, the defence is as much use a chocolate fireguard and during that run and Ralph run out of steam ,showing about as much enthusiasm as a sack of potatoes. Yeah i no longer think he can do the job.

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:58 - Jun 17 with 582 viewsMessysaints

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 09:21 - Jun 17 by Butty101

You still havent grasped why i think Ralph should go. At no point have i said that he should be sacked for finishing 15th.
The first 1/3 of the season we over performed. The last 2/3's of the season we ended bottom of the form table with 19 points from 26 games. If he repeats last seasons results over the first 8 games of the season, it will be 22 points from 34 games. Are you happy with that do you think thats par?
When you factor in he has over seen two 9-0 drubbings, the football was pretty awful, the defence is as much use a chocolate fireguard and during that run and Ralph run out of steam ,showing about as much enthusiasm as a sack of potatoes. Yeah i no longer think he can do the job.

it was a rather congested season though, we knew we would struggle if we got hit with injurys and we did, this plus some players never hitting the form they did last season it was never going to be an easy season, the question you should ask your self is, would it have been the same if we did not play every 3 days pretty much?

I think we would have had a very different season if our games was every week + OR stays fit all season...... a good weeks rest is needed for a pressing team with 0 options of the bench.
Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:20 - Jun 17 with 567 viewsSaintsforeverj

There are valid points on both sides. It is fair to argue that our defence is appalling under Ralph and we have conceded more goals than 18 other teams in the PL, I think. Whatever the circumstances, two 9 nils for a manager is unheard of and is arguably unacceptable. Ralph also seems to have lost his enthusiasm. You could say it's time for a manager that can tighten things up, a fresh voice, as we don't have the players to play the way we do.

On the flip side though, we do have some exciting games under Ralph, we beat a few of the top teams for the first time since Koeman was here, and we play attacking football. Personally, I think we have to give Ralph the summer and see where we are at Christmas. I do like Howe, and think a fresh, enthusiastic new voice like him might arguably improve things for a while, but I do think things will soon get back to the way they always do. Whoever is manager, we won't get anywhere, with the resources available. You could also argue that Ralph has done a good job (league position wise) with his hands tied behind his back.

The problem people have is not the league position. It's the lambs to the slaughter, embarrassing defeats that keep happening, that people have a problem with I think. Ralph will have to sort this, or the pressure will build.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 11:56 - Jun 17 with 549 viewsButty101

Ralph Hasenhuttl on 10:58 - Jun 17 by Messysaints

it was a rather congested season though, we knew we would struggle if we got hit with injurys and we did, this plus some players never hitting the form they did last season it was never going to be an easy season, the question you should ask your self is, would it have been the same if we did not play every 3 days pretty much?

I think we would have had a very different season if our games was every week + OR stays fit all season...... a good weeks rest is needed for a pressing team with 0 options of the bench.

I dont buy that. It was the same for all teams and Ralph made a point of saying he likes to work with a small squad.
Look at Leicester, they had most of their first choice defense out for a large part of the season, yet still kept it tight, worked to a plan etc. Our first choice line up on paper looked good. But actually had the same problems as before Ralph took over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024