Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scotland 09:50 - Jul 9 with 2243 viewsChesham_Saint

I see that many of our northern “friends” are well put out that England have progressed so far. I’ve noticed in some of the so-called banter (and let’s be real here, what a bunch of chippy fvcks many seem to be) that they claim Scotland invented modern football and are thus enraged by the Football’s Coming Home ditty.

I can find no evidence of this, so why are the straw-clutching cross dressing few getting their sporran man-bags in such a twist?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Scotland on 10:59 - Jul 9 with 1321 viewsSadoldgit

They have very long memories Chesh and can clearly hold a grudge. Let’s face it, the English historically have treated them very badly and football is one of the few ways they can pay us back.
Scotland on 11:12 - Jul 9 with 1318 viewsdwayne_dibley

any race that deep fries Mars bars does not deserve consideration

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Scotland on 11:47 - Jul 9 with 1305 views1885_SFC

I'm writing to the F.A. about Sunday's Euro final.

I'm suggesting that after taking 'the Knee', they also undertake a minute's silence to lament all the poor and unfortunate people who cannot be with us..

Like the Scottish.

Old School is Cool

Scotland on 12:05 - Jul 9 with 1287 viewskingslandstand1

Scotland on 10:59 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

They have very long memories Chesh and can clearly hold a grudge. Let’s face it, the English historically have treated them very badly and football is one of the few ways they can pay us back.

Well they can't do it on the football field, let's face it they had an open top bus parade through the Gorbals celebrating not being able to score against us the other week
Scotland on 12:12 - Jul 9 with 1276 viewsSonicBoom

The poor Scots have supported about 6 teams in this tournament so far, and all of them have lost.

It's weird though that they are so bitter. Modern day Scots being resentful to modern day English for things that happened years ago. It's a bit like Celtic and Rangers fans battling over religion when I doubt any of them go to church.
Scotland on 12:17 - Jul 9 with 1260 viewsdwayne_dibley

Scotland on 11:47 - Jul 9 by 1885_SFC

I'm writing to the F.A. about Sunday's Euro final.

I'm suggesting that after taking 'the Knee', they also undertake a minute's silence to lament all the poor and unfortunate people who cannot be with us..

Like the Scottish.

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Scotland on 13:15 - Jul 9 with 1225 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 10:59 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

We treated them badly? Buffer zone is more apt.
I could give you a history lesson but can't be arsed, they aligned themselves with France more than there closest neighbour and the Acts of Union only came about when their failed Empire building bankrupted them (Darian Scheme), a test for you, how did Scotland get it name, what are the origins of it.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Scotland on 13:39 - Jul 9 with 1196 viewsBerber

Interestingly, I can tolerate the Scots' bitterness about all things English. I am ambivalent about the N Irish. The Prods (formerley Scots) have always treated the locals with disdain, and I don't think their nature is so very different from their ancestor's descendants on the mainland. But I have no sympathy for the Feinian liberation approach either. Sadly, I have always seen the Welsh as provincial wannabees, and relish defeating them at football and rugby. Don't ask me why, that's the way it is.
Login to get fewer ads

Scotland on 13:44 - Jul 9 with 1188 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 13:39 - Jul 9 by Berber

Interestingly, I can tolerate the Scots' bitterness about all things English. I am ambivalent about the N Irish. The Prods (formerley Scots) have always treated the locals with disdain, and I don't think their nature is so very different from their ancestor's descendants on the mainland. But I have no sympathy for the Feinian liberation approach either. Sadly, I have always seen the Welsh as provincial wannabees, and relish defeating them at football and rugby. Don't ask me why, that's the way it is.

I find it laughable, we're in their heads 24/7, I don't want them to leave but I'd wish there was an independence vote again, we're all weaker apart but its their democratic right.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Scotland on 13:57 - Jul 9 with 1181 viewsChesham_Saint

Scotland on 13:44 - Jul 9 by barry_sanchez

I find it laughable, we're in their heads 24/7, I don't want them to leave but I'd wish there was an independence vote again, we're all weaker apart but its their democratic right.

We could call their bluff and have an English/Welsh/N Irish indy vote from them.

Scotland on 14:10 - Jul 9 with 1173 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 13:57 - Jul 9 by Chesham_Saint

We could call their bluff and have an English/Welsh/N Irish indy vote from them.

I've read it somewhere that Scotland's independence will only come when the English get a vote upon their matters (English parliament for English laws) as the Scots will always err on the side of caution, I'm not too sure about that now as it stands but the vote would be very very close.

Scotland on 14:18 - Jul 9 with 1155 viewsChesham_Saint

Scotland on 14:10 - Jul 9 by barry_sanchez

I've read it somewhere that Scotland's independence will only come when the English get a vote upon their matters (English parliament for English laws) as the Scots will always err on the side of caution, I'm not too sure about that now as it stands but the vote would be very very close.

Actually I’m broadly the pro the Union as there are a of course a lot of terrific Scottish people but it would be funny to see them poop their little tartan keks at the thought of being cut adrift for real…

Scotland on 14:32 - Jul 9 with 1135 viewsSadoldgit

The Union only occurred in 1707 so, historically, it is still relatively new. The Celts have a long tradition of being “upperty” and given our treatment of them not that long ago I can see why. Having said that the clans in Scotland were quite happy to fight amongst each other, or side with the English against their own when it suited their purposes. Us south of the border (Anglo Saxons) have much more mongrel DNA in our system having mostly come from mainland Europe, so maybe we have a slightly less leaning towards tribalism than they do? Who knows? I agree that we are weaker apart but I also think that they are entitled to self rule if that is what they want. Having bailed out of Europe it would be highly hypocritical of us to not allow them self determination. The situation has changed a great deal since their previous referendum. Let them have another.
Scotland on 14:36 - Jul 9 with 1132 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 14:32 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

The Union only occurred in 1707 so, historically, it is still relatively new. The Celts have a long tradition of being “upperty” and given our treatment of them not that long ago I can see why. Having said that the clans in Scotland were quite happy to fight amongst each other, or side with the English against their own when it suited their purposes. Us south of the border (Anglo Saxons) have much more mongrel DNA in our system having mostly come from mainland Europe, so maybe we have a slightly less leaning towards tribalism than they do? Who knows? I agree that we are weaker apart but I also think that they are entitled to self rule if that is what they want. Having bailed out of Europe it would be highly hypocritical of us to not allow them self determination. The situation has changed a great deal since their previous referendum. Let them have another.

Why did the Union occur?
Where does the name Scotland come from?
This thing about how bad the English were is irrelevant it really is as it was then and this is now, there are no disputed borders, lands or cities (not Berwick) its just chip on shoulder as we're a bigger and richer nation.
We're the same with the Germans and Americans but with no where near the genuine animosity.

Scotland on 14:47 - Jul 9 with 1109 viewskernow

Spuds grow well in Bannockburn.
Scotland on 15:04 - Jul 9 with 1093 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 14:47 - Jul 9 by kernow

Spuds grow well in Bannockburn.

They grow far better in Flodden.

Scotland on 15:13 - Jul 9 with 1075 viewsSadoldgit

Scotland on 14:36 - Jul 9 by barry_sanchez

Why did the Union occur?
Where does the name Scotland come from?
This thing about how bad the English were is irrelevant it really is as it was then and this is now, there are no disputed borders, lands or cities (not Berwick) its just chip on shoulder as we're a bigger and richer nation.
We're the same with the Germans and Americans but with no where near the genuine animosity.

Scotland came out of the primeval floods like every other country on the planet. Wherever you go on this planet you will find people having issues with their neighbours. It is called tribalism and is something we still haven’t managed to evolve out of our systems (hence Brexit and the Scotland rivalry etc.)
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 15:16]
Scotland on 15:20 - Jul 9 with 1072 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 15:13 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

Scotland came out of the primeval floods like every other country on the planet. Wherever you go on this planet you will find people having issues with their neighbours. It is called tribalism and is something we still haven’t managed to evolve out of our systems (hence Brexit and the Scotland rivalry etc.)
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 15:16]

There is no Scottish rivalry, its a one way street.

Scotland on 15:22 - Jul 9 with 1062 viewsSadoldgit

Scotland on 13:15 - Jul 9 by barry_sanchez

We treated them badly? Buffer zone is more apt.
I could give you a history lesson but can't be arsed, they aligned themselves with France more than there closest neighbour and the Acts of Union only came about when their failed Empire building bankrupted them (Darian Scheme), a test for you, how did Scotland get it name, what are the origins of it.

You can’t just chose a tiny piece of history to make your argument. If you know your history as you say, you will know that is grossly over simplifying things. You will also know that religion was involved to a large degree.
Scotland on 15:32 - Jul 9 with 1051 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 15:22 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

You can’t just chose a tiny piece of history to make your argument. If you know your history as you say, you will know that is grossly over simplifying things. You will also know that religion was involved to a large degree.

It wasn't a tiny piece of history it was seismic, over night the Union created wealth and prosperity and it created the very thing we're talking about, Britishness and an Island race and the thinking behind it, it closed to door to invasion from France.
For the Kingdom of England it meant expansion through the navy as France couldn't invade from the North, for Scotland their debt was wiped out, I'd look again and read some more, I simplifying it as it appears I have to.

Scotland on 15:45 - Jul 9 with 1031 viewsSadoldgit

Scotland on 15:32 - Jul 9 by barry_sanchez

It wasn't a tiny piece of history it was seismic, over night the Union created wealth and prosperity and it created the very thing we're talking about, Britishness and an Island race and the thinking behind it, it closed to door to invasion from France.
For the Kingdom of England it meant expansion through the navy as France couldn't invade from the North, for Scotland their debt was wiped out, I'd look again and read some more, I simplifying it as it appears I have to.

It isn’t just the Union. I am talking about what happen hundreds of years before that.
Scotland on 15:55 - Jul 9 with 1027 viewsbarry_sanchez

Scotland on 15:45 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

It isn’t just the Union. I am talking about what happen hundreds of years before that.

Yes when they sacked York they were lovely and just wanted 50p for the meter?
Should we hold a grudge against the Romans, Jutes, Normans and Angles and Saxons? Do we go further and say we were battered by the Celts and should seek reparations?

Scotland on 16:19 - Jul 9 with 1011 viewsChesham_Saint

Scotland on 15:45 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

You mean when the Scottish House of Stuart assumed the English throne? That was really treating them badly, that’s was.

Scotland on 16:31 - Jul 9 with 990 viewsSadoldgit

Scotland on 16:19 - Jul 9 by Chesham_Saint

You mean when the Scottish House of Stuart assumed the English throne? That was really treating them badly, that’s was.

If you are going to cherry pick events I am sure there are some Scottish people that could spend the rest of the day firing other events back at you. As for me, I don’t mind the Scots and am more than happy to coexist with them.
Scotland on 16:36 - Jul 9 with 988 viewsChesham_Saint

Scotland on 16:31 - Jul 9 by Sadoldgit

If you are going to cherry pick events I am sure there are some Scottish people that could spend the rest of the day firing other events back at you. As for me, I don’t mind the Scots and am more than happy to coexist with them.

I’m happy to coexist with them too. They’re not portsMouth FFS (although Celtic are, ironically, beyond the Pale).

It’s just their continual whining on as if they’ve be treated like Stalin with the Kulaks. Flower of Scotland bollox.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024