Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England V Italy Matchday Thread 11:00 - Jul 11 with 5599 viewsSaintNick

Here we go Everyone ready, who is watching the game and where

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 01:48 - Jul 12 with 939 viewscocklebreath

Oh fook off soggy. Gutted, we had the spaghetti dicks but sat back saints style. Gutted

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 02:03 - Jul 12 with 925 viewscocklebreath

It was all a bit Saints , 1 up in control, sit back make no subs, lose control, lose the game . One day we will win something

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 02:40 - Jul 12 with 909 viewsBicester_North

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 22:21 - Jul 11 by Heisenberg

Pickford launching of the length of the pitch ffs. Try playing football it’s like watching Pompey at times. Get the ball down and play

You should know you Fratton end freak

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 07:45 - Jul 12 with 799 viewssquidofdespair

“The greatest tactical blunder since Olaf the hairy ordered 300 Viking helmets with the horns on the inside”…..

E. Blackadder

Almost every single fan I watched the game with or who has commented during/since the match has said the same thing, Southgate lost it through poor selection / failing to make subs at about the 60’ mark, when it was clear we were going to sit back and take the equaliser. And knowing full well from that point on we would lose. Why oh why when Italy changed things around and clearly got on top of us in the second half didn’t Southgate make changes. If every fan knew it, why didn’t he?
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:00 - Jul 12 with 777 viewssaint22

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:55 - Jul 11 by dirk_doone

Nobody bottled out of taking a penalty. Southgate drew up a list on a piece of paper just before the end of extra-time. He asked an assistant for confirmation of his choices. He then told the ref he'd made his decision. The players had no say in it.

Well if that’s correct he got it very wrong, as he did his subs and lack of them in the game
He got things right this tournament but he got it very wrong when it mattered
Not reacting to Italy’s plethora of changes and freshness was crazy, we looked dead in our feet from 60 minutes then they score and still no change, very odd
As for letting the youngsters take pens and two who hadn’t played that was an error

Same old England good but not that good
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:04 - Jul 12 with 771 viewssaint22

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 00:23 - Jul 12 by DorsetIan

I think Southgate was undone by his results in earlier games where we have kept it tight and gone on to win, and where keeping Sterling and Kane on for the whole game has paid dividends.

Today the opposition was better and with the benefit of hindsight we needed to do something different.

Telling that Mancini was making subs throughout. And telling that neither Grealish nor Sancho were given any sort of chance to affect the game.

Being unadventurous worked in previous games and tonight it didn't.

And we were 1-0 in the final of the Euros and didn't win. A big opportunity missed.

Exactly this
Hailing Southgate a some sort of genius coach because his safe pragmatic football got us this far is wrong

He admits it was his job picking penalty takers so he got that very wrong too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800291
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:15 - Jul 12 with 761 views1885_SFC

*Sigh.

We were one laser beam away from success...

Old School is Cool

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:33 - Jul 12 with 735 viewsSadoldgit

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 01:48 - Jul 12 by cocklebreath

Oh fook off soggy. Gutted, we had the spaghetti dicks but sat back saints style. Gutted

Spaghetti dicks? 😩 That’s the whole point though, we didn’t have them. You’d be right if a game lasted 25 minutes. It’s all very well telling me to fook off but I wasn’t the one not making the changes to deal with Italy’s threat once they had worked out how to play against our set up. Southgate has been hailed as being flexible but where was the flexibility last night? We took a better team to penalties so no shame in that but you aren’t likely to win anything if you are set up to produce one shot on goal.
Login to get fewer ads

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:34 - Jul 12 with 735 viewsHeisenberg

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 02:03 - Jul 12 by cocklebreath

It was all a bit Saints , 1 up in control, sit back make no subs, lose control, lose the game . One day we will win something

Southgates teams will never concede 9 goals.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:38 - Jul 12 with 728 viewsSadoldgit

So our three penalty takers who didn’t score have been racially abused on social media. No surprise there. We really do have some moronic people in this country.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:17 - Jul 12 with 672 viewsgrumpy

We have the players.
Southgate deserves credit for getting us to the final.
That's the positives out the way.
Why oh why did we did put Saka on instead of Grealish?
We had to wait till almost the end of extra time to put Grealish on in 99min,our arguably most creative player.
Why put Rashford and Sancho on at the end of extra time? You can only assume it was so they could take penalties which makes no sense.
Mistakes that cost us the best chance to win a Trophy in front of our fans.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:34 - Jul 12 with 651 viewscocklebreath

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:17 - Jul 12 by grumpy

We have the players.
Southgate deserves credit for getting us to the final.
That's the positives out the way.
Why oh why did we did put Saka on instead of Grealish?
We had to wait till almost the end of extra time to put Grealish on in 99min,our arguably most creative player.
Why put Rashford and Sancho on at the end of extra time? You can only assume it was so they could take penalties which makes no sense.
Mistakes that cost us the best chance to win a Trophy in front of our fans.

The game was crying out for a player like Grealish to get on the ball, not Saka, everyone could see that.

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:39 - Jul 12 with 637 viewsHeisenberg

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:34 - Jul 12 by cocklebreath

The game was crying out for a player like Grealish to get on the ball, not Saka, everyone could see that.

Totally. And not Pickford hoofing the ball the entirely length of the pitch up to Kane completely isolated. It was lower league tactics and gave the ball straight back to the Italians.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:43 - Jul 12 with 630 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 08:04 - Jul 12 by saint22

Exactly this
Hailing Southgate a some sort of genius coach because his safe pragmatic football got us this far is wrong

He admits it was his job picking penalty takers so he got that very wrong too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800291

Saka had never taken a penalty before at adult level. He'd only ever taken 3 at youth level and missed one of them. He was having his worst game of the tournament and looked very nervous. He is the last person you'd pick to take the crucial 5th penalty in a European Championship final.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:48 - Jul 12 with 615 viewssquidofdespair

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:43 - Jul 12 by dirk_doone

Saka had never taken a penalty before at adult level. He'd only ever taken 3 at youth level and missed one of them. He was having his worst game of the tournament and looked very nervous. He is the last person you'd pick to take the crucial 5th penalty in a European Championship final.

And that rests with Southgate.

Also, I don’t hold with the view that a player has to volunteer to take a penalty. In my work and I expect in most professions you get told what to do.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:52 - Jul 12 with 599 viewssaint22

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:48 - Jul 12 by squidofdespair

And that rests with Southgate.

Also, I don’t hold with the view that a player has to volunteer to take a penalty. In my work and I expect in most professions you get told what to do.

It all rests with Waistcoat
He made some good decisions and some bad ones, unfortunately the worst were when it really mattered
The persistence with Saka at the expense of Sancho Rashford and Grealish was a major error of judgement
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:57 - Jul 12 with 592 viewsSadoldgit

There was no guarantee that the likes of Grealish or Shaw would score. Perhaps everyone in the onfield team should take one, that way the responsibility lies with the whole team?
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:11 - Jul 12 with 576 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 09:57 - Jul 12 by Sadoldgit

There was no guarantee that the likes of Grealish or Shaw would score. Perhaps everyone in the onfield team should take one, that way the responsibility lies with the whole team?

What I've observed over the years is that players who are having a good game who look confident are more likely to score a penalty than players having a bad game, who look nervous. You can usually tell from that and their body language which players are going to miss.

One of the reasons Le Tissier was such a good penalty taker was that he was always so relaxed and confident. Nothing ever bothered him.

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:14 - Jul 12 with 569 viewsgrumpy

Saka should never been told to take a penalty.
Mistakes by off field cost us.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:17 - Jul 12 with 564 viewsSadoldgit

You would need a whole team of MLT’s though. As if taking the penalty isn’t enough, the walk from the halfway line must be nerve shredding!
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:20 - Jul 12 with 562 viewsDorsetIan

I'm trying to overcome the disappointment and take wider view.

I'm thinking this...

Bloody hell, we came so close to winning it. We missed the first sudden death penalty we took, having saved the sudden death penalty that would also have lost it for us. Score that 5th pen then who knows.

And it wasn't pretty at any stage of the tournament apart from against Ukraine but playing that way so nearly got the job done.

So, yes,Southgate could have been more positive with his subs and, yes, he probably got the penalty takers wrong. But, he got us to the final, and he took the final right to the wire against the best team in the tournament.

And he also took the country with him with the way he and the team carried themselves.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:31 - Jul 12 with 545 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:17 - Jul 12 by Sadoldgit

You would need a whole team of MLT’s though. As if taking the penalty isn’t enough, the walk from the halfway line must be nerve shredding!

A good manager makes adjustments to his plans based on what he observes during the game. Southgate said that he chose his penalty takers based on what he saw in training, which is a completely different situation. He should have taken note of who looked confident and who looked nervous on the day and how it was affecting their performance during the match.

Also, all top professionals should be made to practise hammering a penalty into the top corner of the net, where a goalkeeper cannot save it. At least then, if it is on target it's a certain goal, unlike balls hit low, which can be saved, especially as nearly all goalkeepers dive low for penalties.

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:34 - Jul 12 with 541 viewsKennington

Anyone else think the second half was like watching saints last season? Take a lead and then attempt to park the bus, but run out of steam or ideas. Like saints, we were lacking a leader to tell everyone to push up the pitch. Best team won and no complaints from me. It was a superb tournament for England, and only a year to wait for the World Cup,

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:40 - Jul 12 with 535 viewsSadoldgit

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:31 - Jul 12 by dirk_doone

A good manager makes adjustments to his plans based on what he observes during the game. Southgate said that he chose his penalty takers based on what he saw in training, which is a completely different situation. He should have taken note of who looked confident and who looked nervous on the day and how it was affecting their performance during the match.

Also, all top professionals should be made to practise hammering a penalty into the top corner of the net, where a goalkeeper cannot save it. At least then, if it is on target it's a certain goal, unlike balls hit low, which can be saved, especially as nearly all goalkeepers dive low for penalties.

It drives me crazy when players hit the ball straight down the middle but if Saka had done that last night we would be European champions now.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:43 - Jul 12 with 525 viewssaint22

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 10:40 - Jul 12 by Sadoldgit

It drives me crazy when players hit the ball straight down the middle but if Saka had done that last night we would be European champions now.

Drives me crazy the amount who try and outfox the keeper and roll it in
Pick a spot high up and drill it, even Maguire managed that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024