Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England V Italy Matchday Thread 11:00 - Jul 11 with 5710 viewsSaintNick

Here we go Everyone ready, who is watching the game and where

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:05 - Jul 11 with 902 viewsHeisenberg

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:00 - Jul 11 by Saintsforeverj

I predicted Italy to win when we did that poll on here. I wish I was wrong. They are a bit of an effective machine. Great effort from England though.

When England play they look good. Italy passed more and had more possession. Launching it long and defending deep went on for too long. Southgate is naturally defensive but doesn’t seem to want to go for it.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:09 - Jul 11 with 866 viewsbattler

Italy looked class from the very first game and overall were the best team of the tournament but I dont understand why some of the more senior players like Grealish and Sterling didn't step up and take a penalty.
So much pressure for the young Saka and Sancho.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:12 - Jul 11 with 842 viewsBuenosSaint

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:09 - Jul 11 by battler

Italy looked class from the very first game and overall were the best team of the tournament but I dont understand why some of the more senior players like Grealish and Sterling didn't step up and take a penalty.

Yes. Totally agree. My first thoughts too.

But there must have been preparation and method to this madness. Not the best thing for a 19 year old to have to process now.

Poll: The Long Future

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:14 - Jul 11 with 832 viewsSadoldgit

Most of the England players took their medals off immediately.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:15 - Jul 11 with 827 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:14 - Jul 11 by Sadoldgit

Most of the England players took their medals off immediately.

Yes, that was a bit pathetic. Fortunately not all of them did it.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:16 - Jul 11 with 826 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:09 - Jul 11 by battler

This.

Saka as 5th penalty taker, I feel for the guy. There were far more experienced players who should've stepped up.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:18 - Jul 11 with 819 viewsSaintsforeverj

Such a shame but what a cracking tournament this has been. One of the best. World Cup next year to come. Plus the Olympics. Then Saints!!!

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:22 - Jul 11 with 804 viewsDENZY

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:16 - Jul 11 by Gennaro_Contaldo

This.

Saka as 5th penalty taker, I feel for the guy. There were far more experienced players who should've stepped up.

Sterling should have taken one. Disgraceful putting teenagers before senior players.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

Login to get fewer ads

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:22 - Jul 11 with 803 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:16 - Jul 11 by Gennaro_Contaldo

This.

I don't think they had the choice. Southgate and one of his assistants drew up the order of penalty takers. Grealish would 100% have stepped up and scored.

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:22 - Jul 11 with 803 viewskernow

Disappointed.
The better team won.
Deja vu.
Back to work tomorrow, win or lose.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:25 - Jul 11 with 789 viewsbattler

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:22 - Jul 11 by DENZY

Sterling should have taken one. Disgraceful putting teenagers before senior players.

Dont understand Southgate's reasoning behind this. As you say the likes of Sterling etc bottled out of them.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:28 - Jul 11 with 776 viewsRon11

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:02 - Jul 11 by Sadoldgit

Feel gutted for those young lads. It is no way to loose a final but then it is no way to win a final too. Still, better than the toss of a coin. So much attacking talent on the bench and yet we set up to achieve one shot on goal in 120 minutes. You can be too cautious. Perhaps Gareth needs to adopt Del Boy’s maxim, “Who Dares Wins”. Italy were the best team in the competition overall so no disgrace to lose to them. Onwards and upwards.

Set up far too defensively. Italy looked shell shocked in the first half and were there for the taking.
Then in the second half England sat deeper and deeper, defending the lead instead of going at them and the inevitable happened, they scored.
If Grealish had been brought on instead of the bland Henderson, it would been all over in England's favour at 90 minutes.
Southgate has questions to answer.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:28 - Jul 11 with 772 viewsSadoldgit

Southgate is clearly a decent man and has done very well to get to a semi final and then a final, but he needs to learn to be more positive. His team selections have been conservative and he leaves it too late to change things. I’d rather lose trying to win during normal time than lose on penalties. We really looked second best after half time. We have one of the best strikers in the world and he didn’t get a sniff tonight.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:30 - Jul 11 with 761 viewsButty101

I said before kickoff what a conservative line up. Very poor display trying to hold on for 80 minutes. Southgate unable to react to the game. Then the senior players go missing during the penalties. Best team won

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:30 - Jul 11 with 762 viewsdirk_doone

Positives: Shaw, Rice, Pickford

Negatives: Mount, Henderson, Rashford

I don't think that was our best team. Somewhere in that squad there was a team that could have won tonight. In the second half we conceded the game by having no threat in midfield. Mount was outclassed and then on came Henderson, who wasn't going to create anything, to replace Rice who was having the game of his life.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:36]

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:36 - Jul 11 with 737 viewsHeisenberg

England are like an ok team that went on a great run and reached a cup final. It’s been fun but they aren’t that great. And I wouldn’t want to watch Southgates brand of football at Saints week in week out.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:40 - Jul 11 with 727 viewsSadoldgit

Pickford was excellent tonight. Agree that Rice played his best game yet. Grealish should have started but certainly replaced Mount so much earlier. We have heard all about Southgate’s decisions and how he has got it right. Well tonight he didn’t. It’s so frustrating because we have got the talent in the squad.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:42 - Jul 11 with 721 viewsButty101

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:36 - Jul 11 by Heisenberg

England are like an ok team that went on a great run and reached a cup final. It’s been fun but they aren’t that great. And I wouldn’t want to watch Southgates brand of football at Saints week in week out.

Summed up perfectly.

Southgate had a great draw, and without playing well we got to the final

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:46 - Jul 11 with 715 viewsSaintsforeverj

Penalties is a lottery. You would expect Rashford to score as a striker for Man U. England never win on penalties. Don't think Sako should have taken a penalty, but an experienced player could still have missed. Kane missed in the last game. You never know, it's just a shame but we got to the final and went out on penalties, which is as far as England have got since 66.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:47]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:53 - Jul 11 with 695 viewsSadoldgit

Not sure why Rashford is getting grief. Two others missed penalties as did the manager many years ago. It happens to the best. Rashford has hardly had a kick in this competition. As someone said on TV, we lost because Southgate was out coached by Mancini.
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:53 - Jul 11 with 694 viewsRon11

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:36 - Jul 11 by Heisenberg

Southgate's brand of football?
That's exactly what we have been watching. Come out all guns blazing in the first half, maybe get a goal or two, then in the second half sit back and let the opposition overrun the midfield and equalise or win...
England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:55 - Jul 11 with 690 viewsdirk_doone

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 23:25 - Jul 11 by battler

Dont understand Southgate's reasoning behind this. As you say the likes of Sterling etc bottled out of them.

Nobody bottled out of taking a penalty. Southgate drew up a list on a piece of paper just before the end of extra-time. He asked an assistant for confirmation of his choices. He then told the ref he'd made his decision. The players had no say in it.

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 00:02 - Jul 12 with 671 views1885_SFC

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 22:56 - Jul 11 by Ron11

Rashford, WTF was that nonsense?

It's obvious. He's been watching that utter bellend Bruno Fernandes team mate of his take penalties and thought he'd try to be a smart arse too.

Old School is Cool

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 00:23 - Jul 12 with 623 viewsDorsetIan

I think Southgate was undone by his results in earlier games where we have kept it tight and gone on to win, and where keeping Sterling and Kane on for the whole game has paid dividends.

Today the opposition was better and with the benefit of hindsight we needed to do something different.

Telling that Mancini was making subs throughout. And telling that neither Grealish nor Sancho were given any sort of chance to affect the game.

Being unadventurous worked in previous games and tonight it didn't.

And we were 1-0 in the final of the Euros and didn't win. A big opportunity missed.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 00:59 - Jul 12 with 588 viewsdarthvader

England V Italy Matchday Thread on 00:23 - Jul 12 by DorsetIan

I think Southgate was undone by his results in earlier games where we have kept it tight and gone on to win, and where keeping Sterling and Kane on for the whole game has paid dividends.

Today the opposition was better and with the benefit of hindsight we needed to do something different.

Telling that Mancini was making subs throughout. And telling that neither Grealish nor Sancho were given any sort of chance to affect the game.

Being unadventurous worked in previous games and tonight it didn't.

And we were 1-0 in the final of the Euros and didn't win. A big opportunity missed.

Watched it at stmarys as was there for previous games .

Geat to get to the final , then i actually thought we were going to win it .
Its the hope that kills you

Too defensive . Why bother having all those players on the bench and not bring them on to change the pattern of the game ?

Started great and should have battered them in the first half . But when mancini started changing his tactics and using his subs , Southgate had no answer .. And bringing on those two "penalty takers" right at the end when we were defending a corner is just wrong .

And sorry to bring up a sour grape , if he had someone on the pitch who could take a decent freekick or corner( let alone a penalty ) we would be celebrating tonight . Jwp has got to the world cup next year if fit , or what the hell is the point . ?

A bit deshevelled

keep the faith coyr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024