Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts? 13:28 - Feb 14 with 2398 viewsSonicBoom

From the press today......

Wasteful Saints have not replaced Ings
Manchester United’s misfiring marksmen hogged the headlines as usual, but at Old Trafford it was actually Southampton who were more culpable. Only four of their 13 attempts were on target (United managed seven out of 12). Ralf Rangnick rightly argued that United should have scored three by half-time, but failed to add that the same was true of their opponents. On the right, Stuart Armstrong kept bustling into good positions without finding the finishing touch. In the middle, Armando Broja bothered the United centre-backs with his strength and ingenuity but only troubled David de Gea once. The other centre-forward, Che Adams, took the equaliser beautifully but only after wasting a couple of early chances, one of them when he slipped in front of a near-open goal and ended up heading the ball sideways. For all their energy and cohesion, Southampton are missing Danny Ings. Struggling to break into Steven Gerrard’s Villa side, he would surely be starting if he’d stayed at St Mary’s.
Thoughts? on 13:49 - Feb 14 with 2314 viewssaints__fan__73

In so much as a replacement we are. Broja is a great short term fix but he'll be gone in a few months and the replacement we have paid a large sum of money for in Armstrong looks miles away from being a PL striker.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Thoughts? on 13:51 - Feb 14 with 2310 viewsSadoldgit

I wouldn’t say we are missing Danny Ings given that he seems to have lost his form for a while now, but we certainly miss a clinical finisher. Adam Armstrong was supposed to be that but needs to up his game, which he isn’t going to do sitting on the bench. I would give him in a run in the U23’s for a while to try and get him firing. Broja, Adams , Stuey Armstrong, Ely, JWP and Redmond can all put the ball in the net but we don’t have a really clinical finisher in the squad at the moment.
Thoughts? on 13:56 - Feb 14 with 2305 viewsSonicBoom

Im not sure we miss Ings as he spends at least as much time out than in the team.
Broja is going to be a top player but I agree he won't be here beyond the summer.
It's so good to see him creating his own chances though, he knocks the ball around people and he's off with only one thought in his mind. We haven't had that kind of penetration since....well I can't actually remember when. Early Alan Shearer maybe? (before you say it SRL was great but the one thing he lacked was pace).

I really hope Armstrong hits form. He seems a decent finisher. Certaily better than Adams, Redmond and Stuart Armstrong but for some reason he just hasn't made an impact up to now.
Thoughts? on 14:41 - Feb 14 with 2248 viewsDorsetIan

We've scored 30 premier league goals - more than the three teams immediately above us - Brighton, Spurs, Wolves.

And after 24 games last season we'd scored...31 goals.

So it's ridiculous to say we're missing Danny Ings.

Yes, maybe if Ings had the chances that others have missed, he would have scored them, but maybe those chances wouldn't have been created with him and Bertrand still in the side (certainly a lot of the chances Broja has he creates out of nothing himself).

It's all good. We're playing as a very cohesive team, we're creating lots of chances, and we're putting enough of them away.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Thoughts? on 18:26 - Feb 14 with 2124 viewsHeisenberg

Ings had his chance to become a Saints legend. He looked way off the pace yesterday and is now a non starter at Villa. Wouldn’t be surprised if Villa try and sell him.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Thoughts? on 22:12 - Feb 14 with 1971 viewsSadoldgit

Thoughts? on 14:41 - Feb 14 by DorsetIan

We've scored 30 premier league goals - more than the three teams immediately above us - Brighton, Spurs, Wolves.

And after 24 games last season we'd scored...31 goals.

So it's ridiculous to say we're missing Danny Ings.

Yes, maybe if Ings had the chances that others have missed, he would have scored them, but maybe those chances wouldn't have been created with him and Bertrand still in the side (certainly a lot of the chances Broja has he creates out of nothing himself).

It's all good. We're playing as a very cohesive team, we're creating lots of chances, and we're putting enough of them away.

I think the thing is that we have missed some very good chances this season which have cost us points. With a more clinical finisher we could have scored more goals and be higher up the table. But many teams could say the same.
Thoughts? on 22:36 - Feb 14 with 1949 viewsDorsetIan

Thoughts? on 22:12 - Feb 14 by Sadoldgit

I think the thing is that we have missed some very good chances this season which have cost us points. With a more clinical finisher we could have scored more goals and be higher up the table. But many teams could say the same.

Tbh I have no real feel for where we stand in comparison to others in terms of taking our chances. As you say, all team miss chances.

Is that what all the 'xG expected goals' stat is all above? In which case does someone keep a table of the difference between teams' actual goals and their expected goals?

Or is there another measure of how profligate a player or team is?

Thoughts? on 09:25 - Feb 15 with 1807 viewsSaintNick

I think it was harsh to say Adams headed sideways in front of a near open goal, the ball was played behind him and he slipped trying to stop, but still managed to try and get the ball to a team mate.

Stuart Armstrong's chance in the first half was a difficult one and we did well to get a shot in and force a save.

The only two we really squandered were Armstrong's second half effort when right through and Broja should have done better having taken on his man and beaten him for pace

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts? on 10:24 - Feb 15 with 1760 viewssaint901

The report on how "wasteful" our strikers were is lazy journalism. He's looked at statistics and actually missed the fact that the first half was a decent defensive display and that many of the "on target" efforts were weak affairs.

That said, we do need to hot the target more often. If we had last weekend we may have won that match.

This is also a feature of us this season. We create many chances, esp first half, but fail to take them. In many games we could have been out of sight by half time. We're usually not so we have developed a stubborn streak that has served us very well.

Strikers are notoriously fickle. They can score in 8 out of ten games and then nothing for another 5 games. Nothing unusual in that and outside the real top strikers (who also have dry spells) it happens all the time. It's a confidence thing.

Move forward into that space and risk the offside or the fact that the ball may get cut out or you will get clattered. Or hold back and miss the cross completely.

Every team would three strikers who can guarantee them 12/15 goals a season. Outside City, nobody has them.

The story in the press is obviously from a bitter manc fan who thought we should roll over and give them the points.
Thoughts? on 10:47 - Feb 15 with 1728 viewsSonicBoom

Thoughts? on 09:25 - Feb 15 by SaintNick

I think it was harsh to say Adams headed sideways in front of a near open goal, the ball was played behind him and he slipped trying to stop, but still managed to try and get the ball to a team mate.

Stuart Armstrong's chance in the first half was a difficult one and we did well to get a shot in and force a save.

The only two we really squandered were Armstrong's second half effort when right through and Broja should have done better having taken on his man and beaten him for pace

Depends what you call missing a chance. I don't always think it is the last player to touch the ball.
Adams chance was definitely a missed chance but it wasn't Adam's fault. Had the ball to him been 2 feet further forward it was a certain goal. So I'd class that as missing a chance but it was the assist that was wrong.

As for Armstrongs free shot from inside the box, well he made a complete Redmond of it.
Thoughts? on 16:34 - Feb 15 with 1579 viewsTimSaint

It's a rather pathetic 'what if' article and the author has not researched his information sufficiently to put forward any sort of argument.

If he knew anything about Saints, then he would know that not taking our chances has been a trait of ours for years, with or without Ings. All he needed to do is watch the highlights from the Tottenham game and see that we only converted 3 of our 23 attempts !! :-)

Ings was prolific in one of his 3 seasons with us, in fact so much so, that we relied on his goals too much. 22 League goals was a great return, but our next highest scorers that season were JWP and S Armstrong with 5 apiece. The following season his 12 goals helped but many other players chipped in, meaning that we were not as reliant on him as we were the previous season.

Now Ings has gone, we have shared the scoring responsibilities further and have at least 4 players so far, that have scored more than the 4 Ings has to his name this season.

Ings was never going to stay anyway, so it is stupid to suggest he would be starting if he had. We brought in Broja, who has really hit the ground running, is improving every game and unlike Ings, gets a regular start for his Club and Country. Of course he misses chances and makes some wrong decisions, but he is only 20, still learning and will continue to improve.

Saints have done really well in their last 3 league games, drawing against the 2 Manchester teams and winning away to Spurs, yet someone thinks that drawing and only scoring one goal at Old Trafford is sufficient evidence to write such a negative article about our scoring inabilities !! WAC.

TimSaint

Thoughts? on 17:06 - Feb 15 with 1538 viewsPaleRider

Thoughts? on 16:34 - Feb 15 by TimSaint

It's a rather pathetic 'what if' article and the author has not researched his information sufficiently to put forward any sort of argument.

If he knew anything about Saints, then he would know that not taking our chances has been a trait of ours for years, with or without Ings. All he needed to do is watch the highlights from the Tottenham game and see that we only converted 3 of our 23 attempts !! :-)

Ings was prolific in one of his 3 seasons with us, in fact so much so, that we relied on his goals too much. 22 League goals was a great return, but our next highest scorers that season were JWP and S Armstrong with 5 apiece. The following season his 12 goals helped but many other players chipped in, meaning that we were not as reliant on him as we were the previous season.

Now Ings has gone, we have shared the scoring responsibilities further and have at least 4 players so far, that have scored more than the 4 Ings has to his name this season.

Ings was never going to stay anyway, so it is stupid to suggest he would be starting if he had. We brought in Broja, who has really hit the ground running, is improving every game and unlike Ings, gets a regular start for his Club and Country. Of course he misses chances and makes some wrong decisions, but he is only 20, still learning and will continue to improve.

Saints have done really well in their last 3 league games, drawing against the 2 Manchester teams and winning away to Spurs, yet someone thinks that drawing and only scoring one goal at Old Trafford is sufficient evidence to write such a negative article about our scoring inabilities !! WAC.

Tim - great comments.

Unfortunately many "pundits" or "journalists" seem to know very little about the game - even many of the ex-pros, let alone the "FIFA Warriors". I was lucky enough to know the great David Miller and when I compare some of the great football journalists of the past to the rabble today, I despair (Christ I sound old!). I no longer watch Football Focus or MOTD because I can't stand all the crap any more.

It's the same with fans though - the recent light shows at the Coventry and Brentford games were testament to this! I beginning to think that there should be a program of sterilisation!
Thoughts? on 18:47 - Feb 15 with 1481 viewspjt50

Thoughts? on 22:36 - Feb 14 by DorsetIan

Tbh I have no real feel for where we stand in comparison to others in terms of taking our chances. As you say, all team miss chances.

Is that what all the 'xG expected goals' stat is all above? In which case does someone keep a table of the difference between teams' actual goals and their expected goals?

Or is there another measure of how profligate a player or team is?

Transfermarkt publishes shot conversion rates per PL team:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB1

That puts us 12th with a conversion rate of 7.2%. By comparison Leicester top the list with 10.5%.

In terms of total shots, we come 8th with 415. By comparison Man City had a total of 610 shots.

In conclusion I suppose we're doing OK for a mid-table team.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 19:14]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Thoughts? on 22:38 - Feb 15 with 1400 viewsDorsetIan

Thoughts? on 18:47 - Feb 15 by pjt50

That puts us 12th with a conversion rate of 7.2%. By comparison Leicester top the list with 10.5%.

In terms of total shots, we come 8th with 415. By comparison Man City had a total of 610 shots.

Thanks for that, that's great.

What's interesting is that of the teams just above us in terms of shots on goal, it does show how the conversion rate impacts on success.

We've got 30 goals from 415 shots on goal, where Leeds have only 27 from 416 and West Ham who are much further up the table are on 44 from 341.

So it demonstrates that we are doing OK, but it is also perhaps one of the reasons we're not doing even better.

Thoughts? on 23:08 - Feb 15 with 1390 viewsElijahK

Thoughts? on 18:47 - Feb 15 by pjt50

Only just realised after seeing this that we’ve scored more goals than Wolves and Spurs which was quite a shock! But goals aren’t really our issue this season, as we’ve only had 3 games this season where we’ve not scored and lost the game. As that, along with the fact that we’re 10th on the goal tally table, just shows that it’s all a load of the media’s usual waffle/BS

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Thoughts? on 08:29 - Feb 16 with 1321 viewsdwayne_dibley

if Ings had stayed would Broja have developed as much?

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024