Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR & Handball 09:29 - Feb 15 with 2461 viewssaint22

How is this mess rectified? Not just us, although we have been shafted recently but plenty of teams have too

How about ANY handball in the area, seen and given or not by the ref, but checked by VAR then needs the referee to go and review on the pitchside monitor to either make a decision or re-evaluate his original decision
That way its the on field official making the final call and he can explain it to the players IE yesterday Graham Twott would have given his reason for awarding the penalty against Bertrand, however he would also then have HAD to review the Dendoncker handball and decide whether to award or not on the basis of the first one?

Make sense? Or make it worse?
VAR & Handball on 10:13 - Feb 15 with 2025 viewsPaleRider

I don't understand the rules any more. Referees have completely killed the game. Coincidence that we get bad decisions when we have tried to stand up to referees? I don't think so. Time they were investigated for corruption in my opinion.
VAR & Handball on 10:34 - Feb 15 with 2001 viewsSaintNick

VAR & Handball on 10:13 - Feb 15 by PaleRider

I don't understand the rules any more. Referees have completely killed the game. Coincidence that we get bad decisions when we have tried to stand up to referees? I don't think so. Time they were investigated for corruption in my opinion.

I don't think there is any corruption in referees in the sense they are doing it for monetary gain, but they are human and make mistakes and in that sense they can be swayed by issues that they should be above.

I still say VAR is a good thing wen used properly, but it will never be perfect as someone still has to make a decision, and what one referee might call handball another might not.

It needs to stop being a device for drawing lines and someone looking for a toe or a knee playing someone on or off side and be what it is there for, to spot the clear and obvious errors

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

VAR & Handball on 15:00 - Feb 15 with 1943 viewsDorsetIan

VAR & Handball on 10:34 - Feb 15 by SaintNick

I don't think there is any corruption in referees in the sense they are doing it for monetary gain, but they are human and make mistakes and in that sense they can be swayed by issues that they should be above.

I still say VAR is a good thing wen used properly, but it will never be perfect as someone still has to make a decision, and what one referee might call handball another might not.

It needs to stop being a device for drawing lines and someone looking for a toe or a knee playing someone on or off side and be what it is there for, to spot the clear and obvious errors

There's corruption in the Dorset junior leagues.

One week, eldest son's match, ref declares 2 minutes injury time and then just keeps playing until (his) home side scored (6 mins later).

Following week, younger son's team 2-0 at 90 mins, same ref awards two penalties in injury time to the home team (also around 6 mins). I'd told everyone to watch him at the start of the game and he didn't disappoint, the cheating bas....

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

VAR & Handball on 22:39 - Feb 16 with 1842 viewsdirk_doone

We thought we had it bad with referees but what about Ipswich? Tonight the ref not only gave a red card to an Ipswich player, but also head butted the Ipswich captain and had to be pulled away from him by the other players.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 22:40]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

VAR & Handball on 23:44 - Feb 16 with 1814 viewshedgeend61

VAR & Handball on 22:39 - Feb 16 by dirk_doone

We thought we had it bad with referees but what about Ipswich? Tonight the ref not only gave a red card to an Ipswich player, but also head butted the Ipswich captain and had to be pulled away from him by the other players.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 22:40]

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12220338/ref

Quality , VAR not needed for that dive.
VAR & Handball on 05:42 - Feb 17 with 1776 viewsTripleNiemi

Goal line technology - absolutely keep

VAR - get shot. Its completely wrecking the game imho

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

VAR & Handball on 08:48 - Feb 17 with 1747 viewsPaleRider

VAR & Handball on 10:34 - Feb 15 by SaintNick

Nick - corruption is not just about monetary gain. I am not suggesting this is the case as I have no evidence. However, it is not credible to think that the decisions that have gone against Saints are just bad luck - therefore there is bias/corruption at play here.

VAR is not the issue - it's the people that run it - who are the same people as are on the pitch! It worked at the last World Cup and video technology works in other sports.

We have a serious issue with referees in this country.
VAR & Handball on 09:04 - Feb 17 with 1741 viewsstmichael

Making the ref accountable is a good idea. It would have been impossible for him NOT to give the 2nd one on this occasion you would have thought..

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Login to get fewer ads

VAR & Handball on 09:38 - Feb 17 with 1726 viewsRon11

VAR & Handball on 23:44 - Feb 16 by hedgeend61

Hardly a headbutt was it?
The player was probably calling him all the ****s under the sun right in his face. There's provocation and there's provocation and that was way over the top. On the ref's side with that one.

Regarding Dean and Mason, I don't think there's any doubt that personal bias came into play, when the whole point of a referee is to be impartial. Maybe 'corrupt' isn't the right word, but it certainly stank of severe misconduct. They should be removed from the Premier League and demoted to league two immediately.
VAR & Handball on 21:14 - Feb 17 with 1679 viewsForeverred

The problem with some referees today is they want to be bigger than the game itself, the best referees , and there is not that many around let the game flow, they do their job when call upon. Before VAR I believe the game was more enjoyable, you could be elated when your team scored, now you are waiting to see if it’s going to be chalked off by VAR. yes goals were disallowed before but it was more instant seeing the linesman with a raised flag. I believe VAR has given refs a bigger profile to become the villain or hero, and the likes of dean , Scott , and mason seem to love the the extra attention , at the end of the game we are talking about them more than the game itself. The FA need to make it more simplistic on offside line calls , you are offside when you are standing in a offside position, not a width of a player shirt, and handball is deliberate handball ,not hitting an arm while blocking a shot, take those options out of the game and refs and linesman will have to make the right Decisions taking away their interpretation of the law of the game, with all referees singing from the same hymn sheet
VAR & Handball on 21:34 - Feb 17 with 1659 viewsgrumpy

When you have watched a good game and you cant remember who the ref was indicates how good that ref was.
I was all for VAR but I have changed my mind.
All the stopping and starting just interrupts the flow of the game.
What with all the diving going on I think the game for the spectator is suffering.
If it carries on much more like that games could take 2 hours to complete.
VAR & Handball on 23:47 - Feb 17 with 1620 viewsdirk_doone

VAR & Handball on 23:44 - Feb 16 by hedgeend61

I expect that the red card he gave to an Ipswich player for swearing afterwards will be overturned. Once a referee has turned against a team, they almost inevitably unravel and lose their composure. You can see in the picture where he is brandishing the red card, the smug look of satisfaction as he knows he has defeated them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56096867?at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 23:51]

VAR & Handball on 16:01 - Feb 18 with 1493 viewsRon11

Does anyone know what Judge actually said to the referee?
I would guess that it was personal abuse for him to react in that way.
Not easy to handle, but he used the red card after the second lot of abuse.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 16:03]
VAR & Handball on 16:11 - Feb 18 with 1486 viewsBazza

English refs have been poor for years as evidenced by the very few that get asked to officiate at world cup finals.
Players often show playground behaviour appealing for the slightest thing and showing open signs of denial when penalised. Referees allow players harassing them, diving, and continuous backchat. The lack of respect given by players would not be allowed in other sports. Referees have brought this on themselves.
Perhaps we need to turn yellow cards into immediate time off the pitch for a few minutes. Then refs could give 2 or 3 yellows out quickly to cool down flare ups.
The interpretation of the VAR images has been appalling, refs should have to immediately communicate their conclusions to team captains/fans via open mikes. Used by other sports successfully.
VAR & Handball on 21:42 - Feb 19 with 1415 viewsdirk_doone

All the luck we are losing seems to be going Wolves' way. Another in line offside decision goes their way (as we have seen before, to our cost, VAR officials focus on the position of forwards' arms but ignore the position of defenders' feet keeping them onside) and they score a goal after a Traore shot comes off the cross bar, hits the Leeds goalie's back and rebounds back into the net. How many times have we hit the woodwork this season?

VAR & Handball on 23:07 - Feb 19 with 1394 viewsDorsetIan

VAR & Handball on 21:42 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

All the luck we are losing seems to be going Wolves' way. Another in line offside decision goes their way (as we have seen before, to our cost, VAR officials focus on the position of forwards' arms but ignore the position of defenders' feet keeping them onside) and they score a goal after a Traore shot comes off the cross bar, hits the Leeds goalie's back and rebounds back into the net. How many times have we hit the woodwork this season?

They need to change the rules about 'in line'. We were all brought up on 'in line' being onside - I can remember when it changed - but if you look at the actual wording of the rule it doesn't use the words 'in line' at all. Instead it just says that offside is if any part of the attackers body is in front. So the only decision for the VAR to make is that. 'Any part'.

If the rule said explicitly that 'in line' was not offside and that that should be judged as if from the edge of the pitch, I don't think there would half as many stupid decisions. And actually the linesman's decision today would have been correctly overturned.

The irony is that the rule change to 'inline' is onside was to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker and it worked really well...until VAR came along!

It's the detail on stuff like that this that just wasn't thought through when they introduced VAR and that's the disgrace of the whole thing.

VAR & Handball on 02:43 - Feb 20 with 1374 viewsdirk_doone

VAR & Handball on 21:42 - Feb 19 by dirk_doone

I see Bamford is very publicly expressing his anger at the ridiculous decision to wrongly call his goal against Wolves offside. It seems that VAR refs have become so obsessed with trying to make out that a forward's arm is offside that they don't even bother to look at where the defenders' feet are any more.

One of the problems that we face with referees in this country is that there is no tranparency. Basically, the officials are above the law and can do whatever they like without consequences. Any questioning of them usually results in punishment for the club rather than the referee. You never hear a VAR ref asked in front of the cameras why he got things so wrong yet managers are publicly interrogated about every little mistake they make and they are not allowed to dodge the cameras.

Referees should be subject to the same post match interviews that managers and players are. If they were, their decisions would suddenly become a lot fairer.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 8:51]

VAR & Handball on 09:07 - Feb 20 with 1315 viewsDorsetIan

VAR & Handball on 02:43 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

I see Bamford is very publicly expressing his anger at the ridiculous decision to wrongly call his goal against Wolves offside. It seems that VAR refs have become so obsessed with trying to make out that a forward's arm is offside that they don't even bother to look at where the defenders' feet are any more.

One of the problems that we face with referees in this country is that there is no tranparency. Basically, the officials are above the law and can do whatever they like without consequences. Any questioning of them usually results in punishment for the club rather than the referee. You never hear a VAR ref asked in front of the cameras why he got things so wrong yet managers are publicly interrogated about every little mistake they make and they are not allowed to dodge the cameras.

Referees should be subject to the same post match interviews that managers and players are. If they were, their decisions would suddenly become a lot fairer.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 8:51]

Agreed with this. At the moment, their performances are scrutinised only by other officials.

That sort of thing is never gong to put you under serious review (just ask Priti Patel). Somehow the refs need to feel the pain that the rest of us are experiencing about VAR. It would get sorted out pretty quickly then.

VAR & Handball on 15:42 - Feb 20 with 1272 views1885_SFC

More appallingly long VAR decisions at Burnley as I type.

Ref Mike Dean (shock horror) missed the hand ball altogether & the VAR took the best part of 2 minutes to decide while the game went on. Play was eventually brought back after Dean had consulted his pitchside minitor. A red card ensued.

Why does VAR take sooo long to decide? Absolutely pathetic.

Old School is Cool

VAR & Handball on 15:54 - Feb 20 with 1261 viewsWints76

VAR & Handball on 15:42 - Feb 20 by 1885_SFC

More appallingly long VAR decisions at Burnley as I type.

Ref Mike Dean (shock horror) missed the hand ball altogether & the VAR took the best part of 2 minutes to decide while the game went on. Play was eventually brought back after Dean had consulted his pitchside minitor. A red card ensued.

Why does VAR take sooo long to decide? Absolutely pathetic.

If Burnley had scored in that period, would he still have been sent off? I guess he would, but it would have been harsh. It is different to when Bertrand was sent off v Leicester in THAT match last season, as his was for terrible challenge
VAR & Handball on 16:44 - Feb 20 with 1231 viewssaint22

VAR & Handball on 10:13 - Feb 15 by PaleRider

It’s just not used correctly and that’s the issue
Burnley just given a corner where the linesman had flagged the ball went out as it was crossed but it clearly didn’t so why don’t VAR tell the ref it’s wrong
VAR & Handball on 21:18 - Feb 20 with 1179 viewsMessysaints

VAR & Handball on 23:07 - Feb 19 by DorsetIan

They need to change the rules about 'in line'. We were all brought up on 'in line' being onside - I can remember when it changed - but if you look at the actual wording of the rule it doesn't use the words 'in line' at all. Instead it just says that offside is if any part of the attackers body is in front. So the only decision for the VAR to make is that. 'Any part'.

If the rule said explicitly that 'in line' was not offside and that that should be judged as if from the edge of the pitch, I don't think there would half as many stupid decisions. And actually the linesman's decision today would have been correctly overturned.

The irony is that the rule change to 'inline' is onside was to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker and it worked really well...until VAR came along!

It's the detail on stuff like that this that just wasn't thought through when they introduced VAR and that's the disgrace of the whole thing.

being level isnt offside, think you should go read the law on it, it clearly says

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

second-last opponent or
last two opponents

Also its not a rule, its a law, Law 11 to be exact!.

Also says hands and arms are excluded.
VAR & Handball on 07:02 - Feb 21 with 1101 viewsdirk_doone

VAR & Handball on 21:18 - Feb 20 by Messysaints

being level isnt offside, think you should go read the law on it, it clearly says

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

second-last opponent or
last two opponents

Also its not a rule, its a law, Law 11 to be exact!.

Also says hands and arms are excluded.

It's such a shame that VAR referees don't seem to know these laws. They just make up their own to suit them, where a player's sleeve length is what matters in offside decisions while the position of their feet doesn't. Also, by stopping the camera at any point they like, when the ball is on the foot or has already left it, they can create offsides at the press of a button.

The problem we face is that the same referees who were biased before VAR are still biased with it. Many referees continue to err in favour of the bigger, more glamorous teams, like Manchester United, even when they are on VAR.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 7:13]

VAR & Handball on 08:57 - Feb 21 with 1052 viewsHeisenberg

The standard of refereeing in the Premier League has become an absolute joke. I watched MOTD last night and every game was littered with inconsistencies and mistakes. One where the goalkeeper did a Pickford tackle and took out the striker was as clear a penalty as you will ever see. All the panel were in total agreement it was penalty apart from the boffins at VAR. The game has become a farce and if the likes of Dean and others are allowed to continue to get away with it then every howler they make is going to drive people away. I can't be arsed following games which seem to be increasingly decided by incompetent idiots making it up as they go along. I certainly won't be spending any money on it.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

VAR & Handball on 09:26 - Feb 21 with 1032 viewsJaySaint

VAR & Handball on 08:57 - Feb 21 by Heisenberg

The standard of refereeing in the Premier League has become an absolute joke. I watched MOTD last night and every game was littered with inconsistencies and mistakes. One where the goalkeeper did a Pickford tackle and took out the striker was as clear a penalty as you will ever see. All the panel were in total agreement it was penalty apart from the boffins at VAR. The game has become a farce and if the likes of Dean and others are allowed to continue to get away with it then every howler they make is going to drive people away. I can't be arsed following games which seem to be increasingly decided by incompetent idiots making it up as they go along. I certainly won't be spending any money on it.

Was that the Fulham keeper?

It was so bad, it was funny (as it does not involve Saints). The PGMOL (or whoever) stated that the keeper got some of the ball.

Souness was spot-on when slating referee's last night
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 9:27]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024