Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loan players returning? 11:35 - May 21 with 1911 viewsRonnie

So what can we expect from our loan players returning to the club and can they provide the sort of squad in depth that we need?

It is not clear that Vokins and Valery have done much at their loan clubs, so I am not sure that we have benefited much from their absence when they could have been back up for our very limited full back positions if they had stayed. However I am not sure they are going to be the sort of quality we need, though we may have to rely on them as back up - Valery was a shoe in first team player a couple of seasons back, so what has happened to him?

Lemina has had a reasonable season at Fulham and at least he showed some spirit when he played for them, which he didn't always show for us, and with our limitations in midfield, I think he could be worth another try. I'm not sure that Ralph likes him though.

I cant see Hoedt returning as he never seemed to fit in, but again we need back up in defence!

Elyounoussi has been a regular at Celtic, though wide midfield is a position we are fairly well covered for - perhaps Celtic will make it a permanent deal, as I cant see him coming back here.

As for Gunn, again he was a first team player not that long ago and was seen as our long term goalkeeper, but has he now slipped down the pecking order? - not sure how he has done away on loan, but he should be challenging FF and Macarthy for the first team place and could help decide who stays and goes - instead we are being linked with a new goalie!

As for Long, not sure what he can add when he returns for another year on his contract - I think he will go out on loan again or move on permanently - sad to see him go but cant see what he could do for us now.

All in all I don't think the loan spells for these players have helped us much at all in increasing the quality of our squad for next year.
Loan players returning? on 11:40 - May 21 with 1893 viewsSonicBoom

You know when a relative comes round that you don't like and they ring on the door? You turn the lights off, get down behind the sofa, and pretend you aren't in?

We should do that.
Loan players returning? on 12:03 - May 21 with 1861 viewsDorsetIan

For me, the Jury is still out on Vokins.

Valery and Gunn have had enough chances and failed too often, and Hoedt is never going to fit back in.

The interesting ones are Elyounoussi and Lemina. Both have shown at their loan clubs that they can play, and I would say that both are much much better footballers than Djenepo. Keeping one of them and trying to recoup some of the millions we wasted on Djenepo might be a sensible move, albeit that I couldn't see a Premier League team buying him, so not sure how much we would get.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Loan players returning? on 12:09 - May 21 with 1858 views1885_SFC

Sell all of the above and spend the funds wisely... for once.

Old School is Cool

Loan players returning? on 12:23 - May 21 with 1835 viewsWaylander

Norwich are allegedly keen on Gunn
Loan players returning? on 12:25 - May 21 with 1833 viewsSadoldgit

Loan players returning? on 11:40 - May 21 by SonicBoom

You know when a relative comes round that you don't like and they ring on the door? You turn the lights off, get down behind the sofa, and pretend you aren't in?

We should do that.

My brother and I did that once when our parents were out. The only trouble was that my uncle and aunt came round the back of the house and could see us hiding through the patio doors! Somewhat embarrassing.
Loan players returning? on 12:33 - May 21 with 1829 viewssaints__fan__73

Loan players returning? on 12:09 - May 21 by 1885_SFC

It's very difficult to sell things that no one wants.

With footballers it's made all the more difficult by the fact they don't want to go as no one else will match the wages we are paying them.

It'll end up like with Carillo where we paid him the rest of his wages in one big lump sum just to end his contract and get rid of him.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Loan players returning? on 12:55 - May 21 with 1767 viewsChesham_Saint

Loan players returning? on 12:09 - May 21 by 1885_SFC

I’m not sure what Ralph could really do with £50.

Donate it to the Skates to refurbish the Old Girl maybe? Let’s face it, anything spent on that dump would be an improvement.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Loan players returning? on 13:58 - May 21 with 1702 viewsdirk_doone

If they haven't done much in the Championship or League One, they are not going to do much in the Premier League. Vokins, Valery, Gunn and Long simply weren't good enough to become first choice at Sunderland, Birmingham, Stoke and Bournemouth so they certainly won't be good enough for us next season. If we want them to play regularly, we might have to loan them out to League One clubs next time, or in Vokins' case, League Two.

Their stats for this season make pretty sorry reading:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jake-vokins/leistungsdaten/spieler/421424

https://www.transfermarkt.com/yan-valery/leistungsdaten/spieler/406008

https://www.transfermarkt.com/shane-long/leistungsdaten/spieler/37304

https://www.transfermarkt.com/angus-gunn/leistungsdaten/spieler/201574

How bad must Vokins be? He wasn't even good enough to keep his place on the subs bench at a League One club.

Sonic has the right idea.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 14:15]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Loan players returning? on 13:58 - May 21 with 1705 viewsMonksway

Unless we sell JV, Ings or JWP I can't see much money for transfers this year. With Bertie going, his salary and first choice space could go on a season long loan for Brandon Williams if, as suggested, he didn't want a loan as second choice. Vokins on loan again I suspect. Valery shipped out to Europe to join Hoedt. Long sold/ loaned with Walcott taking his pay cheque and role. I think Elyanoussi has played centrally so wouldn't be surprised to see him return as Minamino returns to Liverpool. Not sure about Lemina but think we need somebody closer to Romeo - journey man midfielder to be backup either on loan or for minimal fee.
Loan players returning? on 15:34 - May 21 with 1630 viewsSadoldgit

Loan players returning? on 13:58 - May 21 by dirk_doone

If they haven't done much in the Championship or League One, they are not going to do much in the Premier League. Vokins, Valery, Gunn and Long simply weren't good enough to become first choice at Sunderland, Birmingham, Stoke and Bournemouth so they certainly won't be good enough for us next season. If we want them to play regularly, we might have to loan them out to League One clubs next time, or in Vokins' case, League Two.

Their stats for this season make pretty sorry reading:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jake-vokins/leistungsdaten/spieler/421424

https://www.transfermarkt.com/yan-valery/leistungsdaten/spieler/406008

https://www.transfermarkt.com/shane-long/leistungsdaten/spieler/37304

https://www.transfermarkt.com/angus-gunn/leistungsdaten/spieler/201574

How bad must Vokins be? He wasn't even good enough to keep his place on the subs bench at a League One club.

Sonic has the right idea.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 14:15]

Didn’t Vokins show signs of a heart condition after a bout of Covid?
Loan players returning? on 15:44 - May 21 with 1619 viewsdirk_doone

Loan players returning? on 15:34 - May 21 by Sadoldgit

Didn’t Vokins show signs of a heart condition after a bout of Covid?

According to Sunderland fans the problem was simply that he was cr@p.

"Collectively over the 2 appearances he’s made, I think that’s the worst return for minutes ever by a left back in a Sunderland shirt. Every aspect of his game is rank bad. He doesn’t understand his position, he doesn’t understand responsibility, he offers nothing in the air, offers nothing going forward."

"He seems to perpetually be in the wrong spot defensively."

"He’s a useless short arse."

"He's absolutely shocking. Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11"

"He’s been a disaster."

Clearly not good enough for League One.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/vokins.1541630/page-2

Valery seems to have made a similar impression at Birmingham.

"Useless"

"Pathetic"

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sure-hes-a-nice-lad-but-these-birmingham-fans-
[Post edited 21 May 2021 16:08]

Loan players returning? on 16:40 - May 21 with 1557 viewsSadoldgit

That’s odd. The game before he became unfit to play he was MotM and they were raving about his performance. I heard someone say that it took him a while to get used to their style of play. Who knows?
Loan players returning? on 16:49 - May 21 with 1544 viewssaint22

Loan players returning? on 16:40 - May 21 by Sadoldgit

That’s odd. The game before he became unfit to play he was MotM and they were raving about his performance. I heard someone say that it took him a while to get used to their style of play. Who knows?

One things for sure we need to sign Left Back or two ideally

As for Valery what's happened, he looked class two seasons back?

Lemina as we all know thinks he is above us yet all the clubs he plays for are on par with us tbh, would be great if he put a shift in, Romeu and him could be great

Elyounuseless? Cuts it up north but can he hear? you would like to think so but we have more than enough average wingers on our books
Loan players returning? on 17:15 - May 21 with 1512 viewsDorsetIan

Loan players returning? on 16:49 - May 21 by saint22

One things for sure we need to sign Left Back or two ideally

As for Valery what's happened, he looked class two seasons back?

Lemina as we all know thinks he is above us yet all the clubs he plays for are on par with us tbh, would be great if he put a shift in, Romeu and him could be great

Elyounuseless? Cuts it up north but can he hear? you would like to think so but we have more than enough average wingers on our books

Valery has never looked 'class' as a defender. A bit like Djenepo, he scored a couple of eye-catching goals but always looked flakey defensively.

In terms of our existing 'wingers', Minamino is likely on his way, Redmond and Walcott are inconsistent to say the least, and Djenepo is no way near good enough for the Premier League.

If we are going to be short of cash, I think Lemina and Elyounoussi are both worth another look. Beggars can't be choosers, let's face it.

Loan players returning? on 00:38 - May 22 with 1310 viewsBicester_North

Loan players returning? on 17:15 - May 21 by DorsetIan

Valery has never looked 'class' as a defender. A bit like Djenepo, he scored a couple of eye-catching goals but always looked flakey defensively.

In terms of our existing 'wingers', Minamino is likely on his way, Redmond and Walcott are inconsistent to say the least, and Djenepo is no way near good enough for the Premier League.

If we are going to be short of cash, I think Lemina and Elyounoussi are both worth another look. Beggars can't be choosers, let's face it.

I can’t believe people are taking of getting Lemina back here. What sort of job could you consistently do badly, show a terrible attitude, and still get taken back on big wages?

Elyounoussi was the most widely ridiculed wideman here since David Lee. What is it with Saints fans wanting previous failures back?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Loan players returning? on 04:58 - May 22 with 1277 viewsDorsetIan

Loan players returning? on 00:38 - May 22 by Bicester_North

I can’t believe people are taking of getting Lemina back here. What sort of job could you consistently do badly, show a terrible attitude, and still get taken back on big wages?

Elyounoussi was the most widely ridiculed wideman here since David Lee. What is it with Saints fans wanting previous failures back?

I would rather have either of them in an 11 than Djenepo. And that’s agreeing with everything you have said about their past performance.

And it also assumes that Gao will stay and there will again be no money for transfers.

They are nobody‘s first choice.

Loan players returning? on 05:29 - May 22 with 1271 viewsdirk_doone

"Reports from the South Coast claim four players — Long, Gunn, Valery and Jake Vokins — are unlikely to be part of Ralph Hasenhuttl’s plans for 2021/22."

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/21/report-four-players-face-southampton-exit-

Loan players returning? on 11:09 - May 22 with 1116 viewsSadoldgit

Hesketh is being released too.
Loan players returning? on 11:21 - May 22 with 1110 viewsBerber

I think that if there was any good news on this, we would be hearing (and have heard) about RH and the club being excited to get players back and integrated into things. I think we have to take it that most of them cannot be moved on because of their wages being too high for anyone else, and their quality not being good enough here. The club no doubt will do a decent deal to get Long to Bournmouth.

Vokins may be worth a look. The majority of Sunderland fans didn't reckon much to Alonso when he was on loan there, and that was after several seasons of having NO recognised LB at all in the squad. Taking a League 1 manager's comments about PL player needing to adapt to do the League 1 basics as FB is easily misconstrued. I expect either Obafemi or N'Lundulu to be shipped out permanently for a small fee.

I would think that if someone comes in for any of our CBs, the club would be open to talk. We don't need all of the 4 we have. I'll be amazed if all of them are with us at the end of the transfer window. My guess is that Vestegaard is the most marketable and I can see that RH might be tempted to get the cash to use for a versatile LB, giving Vokins another chance as back up.
Loan players returning? on 11:47 - May 22 with 1098 viewsChesham_Saint

Loan players returning? on 11:21 - May 22 by Berber

I think that if there was any good news on this, we would be hearing (and have heard) about RH and the club being excited to get players back and integrated into things. I think we have to take it that most of them cannot be moved on because of their wages being too high for anyone else, and their quality not being good enough here. The club no doubt will do a decent deal to get Long to Bournmouth.

Vokins may be worth a look. The majority of Sunderland fans didn't reckon much to Alonso when he was on loan there, and that was after several seasons of having NO recognised LB at all in the squad. Taking a League 1 manager's comments about PL player needing to adapt to do the League 1 basics as FB is easily misconstrued. I expect either Obafemi or N'Lundulu to be shipped out permanently for a small fee.

I would think that if someone comes in for any of our CBs, the club would be open to talk. We don't need all of the 4 we have. I'll be amazed if all of them are with us at the end of the transfer window. My guess is that Vestegaard is the most marketable and I can see that RH might be tempted to get the cash to use for a versatile LB, giving Vokins another chance as back up.

We don’t need all 4? What about injuries/suspensions/lack of form etc?
If one were to argue that we need two Left backs and two right backs then we also need 4 CBs surely?

Loan players returning? on 13:14 - May 22 with 1051 viewsSadoldgit

I read somewhere that Levy is prepared to sell Hoj for £30m. I hope we have a sell on clause!
Loan players returning? on 14:03 - May 22 with 1028 viewsBerber

Loan players returning? on 11:47 - May 22 by Chesham_Saint

We don’t need all 4? What about injuries/suspensions/lack of form etc?
If one were to argue that we need two Left backs and two right backs then we also need 4 CBs surely?

I am assuming that we will have 3 FBs (incl Vokins) one of whom can play either side, 3 CBs and the top ups will come from the academy. What we'll get and what we'd like are different things. The 4 CB comment was made in that context. If we're not selling Ings, I assume that we will not sell JWP, so for there to be any significant transfers in, I am assuming someone will have to go, and JV is the most sellable next asset.

I hope we don't go down the route that Palace find themselves in, scraping by with loanees. Other clubs in the past (duly relegated) have tried this approach and it is hit and miss.

However, all of the above is thrown a bit up in the air when RH says today we undoubtedly have to IMPROVE our defense (which we can all clearly agree with). I don't think he means a new defensive system of play. I'd say JV is about the best performer overall as CB, so I'm not sure what to think now.
Loan players returning? on 16:03 - May 22 with 978 viewsChesham_Saint

Loan players returning? on 14:03 - May 22 by Berber

I am assuming that we will have 3 FBs (incl Vokins) one of whom can play either side, 3 CBs and the top ups will come from the academy. What we'll get and what we'd like are different things. The 4 CB comment was made in that context. If we're not selling Ings, I assume that we will not sell JWP, so for there to be any significant transfers in, I am assuming someone will have to go, and JV is the most sellable next asset.

I hope we don't go down the route that Palace find themselves in, scraping by with loanees. Other clubs in the past (duly relegated) have tried this approach and it is hit and miss.

However, all of the above is thrown a bit up in the air when RH says today we undoubtedly have to IMPROVE our defense (which we can all clearly agree with). I don't think he means a new defensive system of play. I'd say JV is about the best performer overall as CB, so I'm not sure what to think now.

Fair points, well made.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024