Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Mclean 00:15 - Nov 8 with 35388 viewsScotia

This guy is a disgrace. Perhaps he should play in the league of Ireland if his feelings are that strong.
I would not want anyone with this stance playing for the swans, ever.
James Mclean on 00:45 - Nov 8 with 10934 viewsLohengrin

What about wearing a poppy as a mark of respect for the 756 Londonderry men inscribed on The Diamond memorial, both Protestant AND Catholic, who gave their lives in the Great War you stupid, ignorant fenian bastard?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

James Mclean on 01:07 - Nov 8 with 10900 viewsParlay

Nobody should be made to wear symbols of government or military if they do not wish to do so. People should make their own choices.

Its funny to think people wear a poppy to remember those that died for us to be able to exercise our freedom yet choose to implement their own form of fascism which is largely what they fought against - by insisting they wear a symbol of it.

Leave him to it, people have their reasons whether we agree or not.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 1:08]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is ÂŁ45 a match ticket too high?

James Mclean on 01:31 - Nov 8 with 10872 viewsDJack

James Mclean on 01:07 - Nov 8 by Parlay

Nobody should be made to wear symbols of government or military if they do not wish to do so. People should make their own choices.

Its funny to think people wear a poppy to remember those that died for us to be able to exercise our freedom yet choose to implement their own form of fascism which is largely what they fought against - by insisting they wear a symbol of it.

Your point is correct mate but what you miss is that the point of the poppy is the same. It was to remember the dead no matter who or why, it was to focus on the folly no matter who or why.

The "problem" with the poppy is that it has been hijacked by those with a cause for or against.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

James Mclean on 01:48 - Nov 8 with 10852 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

As of writing this post, if you Google James Mclean this is what comes up..

Made me laugh.

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

James Mclean on 02:06 - Nov 8 with 10834 viewsscottishjack

He wrote a letter to Dave Whelan where he makes his personal feelings quite clear, while I may not agree with him, it's his choice, and his decision. Before we all go slating the lad, have a quick read...

Republic of Ireland international James McClean explains poppy stance.

Wigan Athletic’s Republic of Ireland international winger James McClean will not be wearing a poppy shirt tonight alongside the rest of his Wigan Athletic team mates, as the club takes part in football’s annual Remembrance Day commemoration.

This is a personal decision by James, who explained his position in a letter to Latics Chairman Dave Whelan before the two met face to face to discuss the issue this week.

Following the meeting, Mr Whelan accepted James’ decision and it is both their wish that the letter is published here in full, alongside this statement. There will be no further comment on this issue by the club.

Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history — even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles — and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean
James Mclean on 02:12 - Nov 8 with 10825 viewsDJack

...Except that the poppy highlights the slaughter of WW1, military and civilian and shows no political bias... except for idiots like him.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

James Mclean on 02:26 - Nov 8 with 10814 viewsScoobyWho

James Mclean on 02:06 - Nov 8 by scottishjack

He wrote a letter to Dave Whelan where he makes his personal feelings quite clear, while I may not agree with him, it's his choice, and his decision. Before we all go slating the lad, have a quick read...

Wigan Athletic’s Republic of Ireland international winger James McClean will not be wearing a poppy shirt tonight alongside the rest of his Wigan Athletic team mates, as the club takes part in football’s annual Remembrance Day commemoration.

This is a personal decision by James, who explained his position in a letter to Latics Chairman Dave Whelan before the two met face to face to discuss the issue this week.

Following the meeting, Mr Whelan accepted James’ decision and it is both their wish that the letter is published here in full, alongside this statement. There will be no further comment on this issue by the club.

Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history — even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles — and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

What a piece of utter contemptable sh it.
I hope he screams.

And one more thing,this thick piece of tripe didn't write this, he isn't intelligent enough and sums up for me how corrupt his agent is.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 2:28]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

James Mclean on 06:46 - Nov 8 with 10735 viewsdgt73

Dear Mr Whelan

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

He's a c#nt and maybe he should fuk off back to the bogside. He happy to come to the main land to earn his living, but by not wearing a poppy shows great disrespect for this country. Fuking hypocrite.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Login to get fewer ads

James Mclean on 07:15 - Nov 8 with 10717 viewsQuakerJack

James Mclean on 01:07 - Nov 8 by Parlay

I'm going to stick my neck on the block and say I agree with this. I also appreciate the earlier response that the true meaning of poppies is to remember the dead individuals who perished but you're right that this symbol has come to represent the military and this military who we are rightly all eternally grateful to for giving us the freedoms we have today, for others, that military holds very different connotations, for during this same period, the British military committed awful acts in Ireland to quash a revolution by people who wanted to be free. And in the lead up to this war it committed atrocities world wide, just like those in the other European countries in the name of imperialism, hence why war broke out to start with.

Personally, I wear a poppy, but I respect people's right not to wear it because at the end of the day it's a symbol and what it symbolises to us isn't necessarily what it symbolises to people like McLean.

terms or words are the same, for example, Lohengrin's use of the term Fenian, which used to be a term that people were proud of as it's associated them with republicanism and nationalism during the 19th century but is now a sectarian slur for Irish catholics and catholics in general.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 7:21]

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

James Mclean on 07:20 - Nov 8 with 10707 viewsdgt73

James Mclean on 07:15 - Nov 8 by QuakerJack

I'm going to stick my neck on the block and say I agree with this. I also appreciate the earlier response that the true meaning of poppies is to remember the dead individuals who perished but you're right that this symbol has come to represent the military and this military who we are rightly all eternally grateful to for giving us the freedoms we have today, for others, that military holds very different connotations, for during this same period, the British military committed awful acts in Ireland to quash a revolution by people who wanted to be free. And in the lead up to this war it committed atrocities world wide, just like those in the other European countries in the name of imperialism, hence why war broke out to start with.

Personally, I wear a poppy, but I respect people's right not to wear it because at the end of the day it's a symbol and what it symbolises to us isn't necessarily what it symbolises to people like McLean.

terms or words are the same, for example, Lohengrin's use of the term Fenian, which used to be a term that people were proud of as it's associated them with republicanism and nationalism during the 19th century but is now a sectarian slur for Irish catholics and catholics in general.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 7:21]

Would you like to expand on the awful acts committed by the British.

James Mclean on 07:22 - Nov 8 with 10702 viewsQuakerJack

James Mclean on 07:20 - Nov 8 by dgt73

Would you like to expand on the awful acts committed by the British.

In Ireland or worldwide?

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

James Mclean on 07:50 - Nov 8 with 10650 viewsblaine_scfc

Dear Mr Whelan

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

What a load of absolute bullsh*t. He was tweeting IRA songs not so long back, he's a little scumbag who should get back to Ireland and make his money playing for Derry City or any other shower of sh*te plays in their league.
James Mclean on 07:52 - Nov 8 with 10646 viewsYrAlarch

James Mclean on 06:46 - Nov 8 by dgt73

He's a c#nt and maybe he should fuk off back to the bogside. He happy to come to the main land to earn his living, but by not wearing a poppy shows great disrespect for this country. Fuking hypocrite.

What an eloquent response! He, very eloquently, explains his reasons for not wearing a poppy. Why not just respect his view even if, like me, you disagree. After all, we supposedly treasure our right to free speech. I do think though that the wearing of a poppy has become a fashion statement for some, rather than what is intended. Like Christmas it seems to occur earlier every year.
James Mclean on 07:57 - Nov 8 with 10629 viewsScotia

It's that letter to Whelan that really wound me up. He's made a mark of respect a political statement, I don't disagree with his right not to wear it but then publicise his views in this way are sly, perhaps he would like to dicuss his views with a wigan suporting veteran? Or perhaps not say anything?

could you imagine if this McLean had refused to wear it because he was a muslim? He'd never play in this country again.
James Mclean on 08:10 - Nov 8 with 10596 viewsdgt73

James Mclean on 07:22 - Nov 8 by QuakerJack

In Ireland or worldwide?

Both if you want.

James Mclean on 08:14 - Nov 8 with 10585 viewsdgt73

James Mclean on 07:52 - Nov 8 by YrAlarch

What an eloquent response! He, very eloquently, explains his reasons for not wearing a poppy. Why not just respect his view even if, like me, you disagree. After all, we supposedly treasure our right to free speech. I do think though that the wearing of a poppy has become a fashion statement for some, rather than what is intended. Like Christmas it seems to occur earlier every year.

Just read Blaine scfc post.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2014 8:17]

James Mclean on 08:19 - Nov 8 with 10572 viewsItchySphincter

Everyone should want to wear a poppy. If he doesn't I couldn't give a f*ck for his reasons. Where and when he's born has nothing to do with it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

James Mclean on 08:34 - Nov 8 with 10525 viewsJackfath

Frankly there are more important things to get het up about than some millionaire footballer making this sort of statement.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

James Mclean on 08:38 - Nov 8 with 10521 viewsdgt73

James Mclean on 08:34 - Nov 8 by Jackfath

Frankly there are more important things to get het up about than some millionaire footballer making this sort of statement.

Would you say the same if a player refused to wear a kick it out (anti racism) t - shirt. ?

James Mclean on 09:14 - Nov 8 with 10444 viewsJackfath

James Mclean on 08:38 - Nov 8 by dgt73

Would you say the same if a player refused to wear a kick it out (anti racism) t - shirt. ?

Yes.

Let others get on with their lives and opinions. He's (or his agent has) made a statement to explain his reasons. Whether one believes he is right or wrong is up to the individual.

Let him get on with his "protest" in peace, and if one chooses to do so, remember the fallen in the appropriate manner.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

James Mclean on 09:23 - Nov 8 with 10415 viewsTreforys_Jack

James Mclean on 09:14 - Nov 8 by Jackfath

Yes.

Let others get on with their lives and opinions. He's (or his agent has) made a statement to explain his reasons. Whether one believes he is right or wrong is up to the individual.

Let him get on with his "protest" in peace, and if one chooses to do so, remember the fallen in the appropriate manner.

Bloody hell, never thought I'd say it but 100% spot on.
James Mclean on 09:24 - Nov 8 with 10410 viewsQuakerJack

James Mclean on 08:38 - Nov 8 by dgt73

Hardly the same is it... by not wearing the poppy he is saying that he does not want to wear a symbol synonymous with the British military, a military that have been responsible for quelling a cause he believes on.

by not wearing a kick it out t shirt he's saying racism should be part of football.

As for atrocities, during the Irish struggle for independence, how about driving tanks into Croke Park during a football game and opening fire killing 14 innocent people... or maybe the brutal murders committed by the Black and Tan.

world wide, where do I begin.... Africa maybe? Mau Mau?

how far back throughout Britain's empire building do I go? A quick Google search on your behalf would save me the trouble.

James Mclean on 09:26 - Nov 8 with 10401 viewsQuakerJack

Yes.

Great post.

James Mclean on 09:31 - Nov 8 with 10371 viewsdgt73

James Mclean on 09:24 - Nov 8 by QuakerJack

Hardly the same is it... by not wearing the poppy he is saying that he does not want to wear a symbol synonymous with the British military, a military that have been responsible for quelling a cause he believes on.

by not wearing a kick it out t shirt he's saying racism should be part of football.

As for atrocities, during the Irish struggle for independence, how about driving tanks into Croke Park during a football game and opening fire killing 14 innocent people... or maybe the brutal murders committed by the Black and Tan.

world wide, where do I begin.... Africa maybe? Mau Mau?

how far back throughout Britain's empire building do I go? A quick Google search on your behalf would save me the trouble.

If the British were so evil how come so many former colonies want to remain part of the commonwealth, maybe just maybe the British were not as bad as some would like to make out.

James Mclean on 09:35 - Nov 8 with 10354 viewsjohnlangy

Yes.

Correct.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024