Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are planes getting less safe? 15:35 - Feb 4 with 6057 viewsParlay

There seems to have been a record amount of plane crashes and incidents in recent years. And just today we have a Taiwan Jet plan crashing with harrowing footage underneath killing half the people on board.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/04/video-plane-crash-in-taipei

Im an awful flyer. Not good for someone that lives 10,000 miles away. Anybody else a bad flyer or have any opinions on it being safe or unsafe as a mode of transport?

Stats, theories all welcome.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is ÂŁ45 a match ticket too high?

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:39 - Feb 4 with 3219 viewsItchySphincter

How are you getting back? I'm going on Singapore Airlines.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:39 - Feb 4 with 3219 viewsswanduck

I definitely don't think flying is getting more dangerous, it is just unfortunate that there have been so many accidents in the last 6 months - year.

Surely the probability of a plane encountering a problem is the same each time it takes off - just because there was an accident yesterday or hasn't been one for 2 years doesn't mean there's a higher or lower probability of an accident occurring.

I am not very good at expressing myself so sorry if that doesn't make sense but basically no I don't think it is getting less safe.
Are planes getting less safe? on 15:50 - Feb 4 with 3200 viewsParlay

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:39 - Feb 4 by ItchySphincter

How are you getting back? I'm going on Singapore Airlines.

Etihad. They are great but i just hate it no matter the company.

Forum celebrity

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:53 - Feb 4 with 3187 viewsParlay

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:39 - Feb 4 by swanduck

I definitely don't think flying is getting more dangerous, it is just unfortunate that there have been so many accidents in the last 6 months - year.

Surely the probability of a plane encountering a problem is the same each time it takes off - just because there was an accident yesterday or hasn't been one for 2 years doesn't mean there's a higher or lower probability of an accident occurring.

I am not very good at expressing myself so sorry if that doesn't make sense but basically no I don't think it is getting less safe.

No it makes sense.

But id argue that in the current climate there are factors that were not present before. These hijackings, planes getting shot down, ageing fleets etc

Does anybody have any statistics on historical fatalities and maybe can see a trend one way or the other.

I understand your point about the chances staying the same for every flight, but I'm not convinced.

Forum celebrity

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:53 - Feb 4 with 3186 viewsItchySphincter

I was nearly in a plane crash once, on a Boeing 146 in the South of France. It was a small strip in between the mountains and the pilot couldn't put the plane down - something to do with the air currents. A genuinely frightening experience when one second you can see people standing outside the little terminal looking on with horror, the next all you can see is tarmac and the next it's just sky. He had to abort in the end and we ended up going back up and flying to Paul Ricard, which should have been a relief until he said he hoped to have enough fuel to get there. When we landed we had to get on a bus and go all the way back to the first airport to pick up our hire cars and only then did we find out that the wing almost clipped the ground.

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:57 - Feb 4 with 3175 viewsDyfnant

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:53 - Feb 4 by ItchySphincter

I was nearly in a plane crash once, on a Boeing 146 in the South of France. It was a small strip in between the mountains and the pilot couldn't put the plane down - something to do with the air currents. A genuinely frightening experience when one second you can see people standing outside the little terminal looking on with horror, the next all you can see is tarmac and the next it's just sky. He had to abort in the end and we ended up going back up and flying to Paul Ricard, which should have been a relief until he said he hoped to have enough fuel to get there. When we landed we had to get on a bus and go all the way back to the first airport to pick up our hire cars and only then did we find out that the wing almost clipped the ground.

Now we know the origins of your username

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:09 - Feb 4 with 3146 viewsParlay

Are planes getting less safe? on 15:53 - Feb 4 by ItchySphincter

Scary.

Considering it is supposed to be super safe the amount of people i know involved in near misses etc is extensive.

Ive had some bad turbulence but nothing other than that, but every time i step on a plane is just terrifying for me.

I could easily hope on a plane from Brisbane to Melbourne which is a trip I have to do every now and again but will choose the 25 hour drive every time.

Forum celebrity

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:11 - Feb 4 with 3143 viewsMrSwerve

No.

Air travel is still the safest around. The media doesn't help with it all. I mean, the gear-up landing that a Virgin aircraft did a few months back at Gatwick airport actually made headline news on the BBC and ITV. Even though it wasn't a full gear-up landing...I think there was landing gear deployed but just not the full set. If anyone has any kind of knowledge of aviation, you would see that a gear-up landing is very common and covered by check-lists.

It is weird that there seems to be a lot of trouble in Asian airspace lately though, wouldn't want to be flying over there if I had a choice.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:13 - Feb 4 with 3137 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I think it's cultural from airline to airline and city to city. It's noticeable that a lot of the issues are in SE Asia.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:14 - Feb 4 with 3136 viewsItchySphincter

F*ck it. Get on with it init.

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:17 - Feb 4 with 3119 viewsMrSwerve

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:09 - Feb 4 by Parlay

Scary.

Considering it is supposed to be super safe the amount of people i know involved in near misses etc is extensive.

Ive had some bad turbulence but nothing other than that, but every time i step on a plane is just terrifying for me.

I could easily hope on a plane from Brisbane to Melbourne which is a trip I have to do every now and again but will choose the 25 hour drive every time.

What would you class as a 'near miss'?

I've been on planes with people who swear that we have nearly crashed, when we have just passed another plane on the same airway as us moving in the opposite direction. If you know your stuff, you know what is going on.

I think studying aircraft and the laws of aviation certainly help with flying as a passenger.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:25 - Feb 4 with 3105 viewssketty_jack

These stats show they are getting safer:
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

There has been a high number of high profile incidents in the last 12 months which has focussed media attention that's all. The Taiwan crash for instance, this time last year and without the dramatic video, we'd never have heard about it over here. Not to mention the number of air journeys are higher now than they used to be so there should be more crashes.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 16:28]
Are planes getting less safe? on 16:35 - Feb 4 with 3085 viewscontroversial_jack

Pilots are relying so much on technology these days that if a fault occurs they struggle with problem solving and basic concepts such as aerodynamic stalls etc.
Are planes getting less safe? on 16:42 - Feb 4 with 3077 viewsNogginthenog

Take a look here

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

to see how common incidents are. Not that many involve fatalities in comparison to the number of flights that occur daily. There have always been spikes and troughs in fatal air accidents.
Are planes getting less safe? on 16:46 - Feb 4 with 3070 viewsDyfnant

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31132573

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Are planes getting less safe? on 19:15 - Feb 4 with 2972 viewsPrivate_Partz

Are planes getting less safe? on 16:09 - Feb 4 by Parlay

Scary.

I am with the fear of flying brigade on this one. The overall picture is that flying comfortably remains the safest way of travelling.
The problems for me is I can't get out of my head that I am travelling on the edge of outer space in a very flimsy vehicle.
I am also aware that when things go badly wrong the chances of survival are very slim. I do not feel the same way in a car, train or boat as I feel there is a chance the individual can affect the outcome.
Now - on to book my holidays Tenerife ............ ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Are planes getting less safe? on 19:23 - Feb 4 with 2961 viewsjackportis

Sit near emergency exit for quick getaway if u crash land. Keep seat belt on all the time incase door opens thus preventing getting sucked out, It increases your survival chances.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:16 - Feb 4 with 2924 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Flying is pretty safe .

Apart from the Far East .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:21 - Feb 4 with 2921 viewsDarran

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:16 - Feb 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

Flying is pretty safe .

Apart from the Far East .

And Russia.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Are planes getting less safe? on 20:45 - Feb 4 with 2895 viewsSwansNZ

You’d have to think that with the majority of crashes being in Asia, are their pilots and ground crew less able? More and more flights, pilots not as skilled — yes, they have technology to “rely” on, but with proper training, they should still be able to deal with emergencies.

Of course, it’s all in the mind, and the fact that any major plane crash generates such big media coverage would suggest it’s a very rare event.

I’ve just returned from Asia, although travelled with a couple of Aussie airlines and Air NZ — who in my opinion, are up there with the very best.

I hate flying, ever since we had very bad turbulence flying across the Atlantic many years ago, and just a few days after a Swiss Air plane went down from New York. As I get older, I probably get worse, but unless you fly, you won’t get very far, so I can handle it for 13 hours or whatever, so I get to enjoy a holiday for 2-3 weeks.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:10 - Feb 4 with 2873 viewsicecoldjack

Nah, it's more to do with the sheer volume of flights/planes and the advent of multi media IMO.

There may be an argument in terms of maintinance with some of the Asian and African airlines, some being refused to even fly in the EU but overall its the safest mode of transport. Im no great fan of flying but i do have to fly very often, so make my peace with it. As mentioned above.

of the major plane crashes so far this year one was shot down and one mysteriously went missing, though i would guess Rolls Royce would know alot more than they let on as the engines are monitored while in operation .

The Air Asia crash may well point to pilot error, we don't know yet, todays crash however seems to point to mechanical failiure , even considering all this against the amount of people flying its by far the safest way to travel.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:11]
Are planes getting less safe? on 21:21 - Feb 4 with 2857 viewsSwansNZ

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:10 - Feb 4 by icecoldjack

Nah, it's more to do with the sheer volume of flights/planes and the advent of multi media IMO.

There may be an argument in terms of maintinance with some of the Asian and African airlines, some being refused to even fly in the EU but overall its the safest mode of transport. Im no great fan of flying but i do have to fly very often, so make my peace with it. As mentioned above.

of the major plane crashes so far this year one was shot down and one mysteriously went missing, though i would guess Rolls Royce would know alot more than they let on as the engines are monitored while in operation .

The Air Asia crash may well point to pilot error, we don't know yet, todays crash however seems to point to mechanical failiure , even considering all this against the amount of people flying its by far the safest way to travel.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:11]

Early indications are that an engine failed? Shouldn’t the pilot still be able to fly the plane ok, with 1 engine?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:53 - Feb 4 with 2827 viewsTom1912

Safest way to travel.
Are planes getting less safe? on 21:57 - Feb 4 with 2822 viewsicecoldjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 21:21 - Feb 4 by SwansNZ

Early indications are that an engine failed? Shouldn’t the pilot still be able to fly the plane ok, with 1 engine?

BBC reports the mayday from the pilot said "mayday mayday engine flame out "

An engine flame out can be a fuel starvation problem, which could in theory effect both engines.

I agree that a plane should be able to fly on one engine but maybe the aircraft reached stall speed due to either trying to lift up or turn too agressively or by the pilot trying to fight the controls .

I must stress Im no expert! but im sure the boffins will have this one sussed out by the end of the week

This is apparently the second crash of this model plane in 7 months.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 22:06]
Are planes getting less safe? on 21:59 - Feb 4 with 2816 viewsItchySphincter

Done that one a few times too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024