Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales 18:27 - Aug 24 with 15848 viewsjohnlangy

Meeting With Mike Hedges and Carolyn Harris at their surgery in Brynhyfryd Library on 14th August 2015

There have been a lot of threads to do with the WAG's investment in Cardiff at the expense of the rest of Wales. I commented a number of times that what people should do is go to their AM/MP nd make their feelings known. I finally got off my own backside and went to see Mike Hedges, the Swansea East AM, 10 days ago. I also had the pleasure of speaking to Carolyn Harris MP who attended the same surgery. I won't go over all the points made in previous threads and all the things I said/asked them but I will try to explain the whole thing fairly briefly.

I said that in my opinion, and that of many others, the WAG is investing in Cardiff disproportionately at the expense of the rest of Wales in a similar way to how the UK government has done over the decades with London. I stressed a number of times that i'd be making comparisons with Swansea but my general point refers to the whole of Wales.

Firstly they talked about all the things happening or hopefully going to happen in Swansea. I agreed with their points but said that what has been invested in Cardiff down the years dwarfs the amount being talked about and the developments happening now, and due to happen, in Cardiff again dwarfs the Swansea investment. Just a couple of examples. The development of the old bus station site with a new 150,000 sq ft BBC Wales HQ, a 135,000 sq ft development already completed with another at the planning stage. Also the new bus 'interchange'. To put it in context the new bus station in Swansea took a decade to generate funding before completion and cost £11 m. The new 450,000 sq ft 'interchange' in Cardiff will cost £150 m what with the luxury Hotel, appartments and retail outlets. There's another thread from about a month ago with a link to the Walesonline article detailing all the plans so I won't repeat the rest.

They said that private investment is a decision by the company involved and out of government hands. I agreed it is the individual companies decision but said it's the WAG which creates the environment which persuades companies to invest in an area because they can see opportunities for profit. The setting of the Mill Stad (*) and the Mill Centre (the WAG with our money) in Cardiff ensures that millions upon millions of people are drawn in. As a result businesses can see a profit and invest there. One event at the Mill Stad injects £10 million into the Cardiff economy (NOT into the Welsh economy as is always repeated by politicians). How many large events happen each year at the Mill Stad ? If it is 50 then that is £500 million. No wonder companies invest there.

(* - this was WRU money but they worked with CC Council to ensure it happened in Cardiff — I don't actually know but I imagine the WAG worked behind the scenes to help as well)

I also mentioned about the Metro and the M4 relief road (£2/3 billion between them). Mike Hedges made the point about the traffic into Cardiff and the need to strengthen the infrastructure because of it. I said that's exactly my point. By ensuring billions are invested in Cardiff it draws people in which means there's a need to improve the infrastructure which will draw more people in which will generate more investment which will ...... You get my drift. He then made my point again by saying he could drive from one end of Swansea to the other relatively easily so the need for infrastructure improvements isn't there. Well obviously I said. Because Swansea hasn't been developed to anything like the extent of Cardiff which is my point.

I sent this email to Nicholas Parry of the EP on 13th Aug and got a reply from Richard Youle the following day.

Mr Parry,
 On a recent thread on a Swans website someone posted ‘I wonder if the Evening Post would have the $%^&* to have a debate on this’ so, with the Assembly elections coming up next year I thought i’d put the question to you.
In the opinion of myself and a huge number of people who have posted letters in the EP over the years a completely disproportionate amount of money is invested in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales. Similar opinions are expressed on this Swans website and I have no reasons to believe that, if I looked through other websites outside of the South East a similar message would emerge. I certainly know of many bloggers who post the same message.
 So, there’s the question. Will you do it ? It’s about time this was dragged into the open and the EP, being the best selling and most widely read newspaper in Wales would be the best means of having that debate.
 Looking forward to your reply.
John Young 

Hello,
 I’ll aim to look into this — have you got any evidence at this stage which suggests Cardiff does get a disproportionate amount of investment?
 Thanks Richard
Richard Youle

Richard asks for evidence. None of this is evidence, it's opinion but people's opinions matter. A result of our 'opinions' could be that we vote Labour out of control of the WAG next year. Also the result of our 'opinions' could be that Labour see them being read in the EP by 150,000 people and maybe finally decide things should change.

To me their answers say that they believe they've done the right thing. I'll be emailing both Mike and Carolyn to let them know how to access the thread in case they feel a need to join in. And if any of you decide you'd want to do something similar it turns out that what I was doing was lobbying. Apparently, if you want to lobby your AM/MP you should contact them and arrange an appointment rather than go to a normal surgery.

And to be fair to them both they talked to me for over 30 minutes out of a surgery time of an hour so huge plaudits to them for that.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:05 - Aug 25 with 3442 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:18 - Aug 24 by NeathJack

Is it just me or did Mike hedges come across there as a complete apologist for Cardiff and really not getting it?

That is exactly as I read it . It seems he is toeing the party line and does not want to ruffle any feathers in Cardiff Bay. Don't forget he was in charge here when the debacle over the housing of the WAG building occurred.
I suggest he tries travelling from Gowerton to Swansea during school time and at rush hour. 40mins to an hour to do 4 miles. There are many more local examples. I also suggest he travels from the M4 / A449 junction to the other side of the twin tunnels at rush hour. It takes 12 mins. It really is not that bad and far better than the M5/M6 junctions and the M25 at virtually every junction. There is no justification for this massive waste of money on the relief road even allowing for a much cheaper option being available.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 06:59 - Aug 26 with 3356 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 11:04 - Aug 25 by ScoobyDoo

I would have thought that building a relief road on the M4 to avoid the Brynglas tunnels would benefit the whole of South Wales and not just Cardiff.

Here you have the BBC Cardiff view. It might very well be the case but it is not a priority and very expensive. There are far bigger priorities with regard to transport Infrastructure throughout Wales. I would suggest the Cardiff Metro, the electrification of the Cardiff Valley lines and (god forbid) the Penarth Cable car be abandoned until these bigger issues have been addressed.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 08:39 - Aug 26 with 3324 viewsWhiterockin

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 11:04 - Aug 25 by ScoobyDoo

I would have thought that building a relief road on the M4 to avoid the Brynglas tunnels would benefit the whole of South Wales and not just Cardiff.

Please explain in detail how this would benefit the whole of South Wales, taking into consideration the whole geographical area of South Wales.

Then remember that we are discussing "WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales". What about Mid and North Wales.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 13:39 - Aug 26 with 3264 viewsyescomeon

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-government-spending-north

Article from the Daily Post today "'Huge inequality' between North and South Wales' infrastructure spending revealed"

Prehaps the OP could contact the journalist who wrote that piece to see where he got his figures.

Upthecity!

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:22 - Aug 26 with 3193 viewsjohnlangy

I was hoping you would join in and give a Cardiff perspective. Maybe Bluey will as well you both being sensible posters.

The M4 relief road WILL benefit the rest of South Wales to a certain extent. We'll get past Brynglas tunnel quicker because a lot of Cardiff traffic will use the relief road. And that should result in some extra investment finding it's way westwards as firms see quicker travel times to and from Swansea/Bridgend etc etc.

But the overwhelming benefit will be to Cardiff. When it's in place it will generate more traffic/people into Cardiff, as will the Metro and both will result in yet more private investment finding it's way into Cardiff.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:29 - Aug 26 with 3187 viewsjohnlangy

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 13:39 - Aug 26 by yescomeon

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-government-spending-north

Article from the Daily Post today "'Huge inequality' between North and South Wales' infrastructure spending revealed"

Prehaps the OP could contact the journalist who wrote that piece to see where he got his figures.

Coincidence or what.

I've emailed Rachel Flint at the Daily Post, Richard Youle at the EP and both Mike Hedges and Carolyn Harris about this thread.

I mentioned in my mail to Mike and Carolyn that they may want to respond to some of our postings such as the one that mentions about them toeing the party line.

I wonder what will happen .
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 19:12 - Aug 26 with 3163 viewsblueytheblue

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:22 - Aug 26 by johnlangy

I was hoping you would join in and give a Cardiff perspective. Maybe Bluey will as well you both being sensible posters.

The M4 relief road WILL benefit the rest of South Wales to a certain extent. We'll get past Brynglas tunnel quicker because a lot of Cardiff traffic will use the relief road. And that should result in some extra investment finding it's way westwards as firms see quicker travel times to and from Swansea/Bridgend etc etc.

But the overwhelming benefit will be to Cardiff. When it's in place it will generate more traffic/people into Cardiff, as will the Metro and both will result in yet more private investment finding it's way into Cardiff.

Can't disagree with you about the Metro - although I'd point out Cardiff council are idiots. For example, Gabalfa interchange has been made a 20 mph limit - as have a fair few roads in Cardiff. That interchange speed limit change was made due to "accidents". FOI should showed no more incidents than normal.

They also made dedicated left hand turn lanes only; as a consequence a friend, when he comes back from work has to go through the interchange at 20mph and take an immediate left turn to get to the road he lives in - cutting across the dedicated left hand turn lane. So he has to either block traffic or hope someone isn't speeding.

Putting traffic lights up didn;t occur to those brainiacs.

As for Brynglas, it should benefit everyone in South Wales. If the relief road is a pay road as I believe was mooted at one point, can't see much take up of it. even if more investment did come into Cardiff as a consequence, attempted to sort out that mess needs doing. I don't have confidence WAG would make the right decisions over it.

Reallty is, there are far, far too many junctions on the M4. what is it, 22 from the English side then 26/27 on the Welsh side? Ridiculous, encourages people to hop on then hop off as soon as possible which causes most of the trouble.

Then again what would I know? Going to a client site in Bristol the other day I lost 5th gear - stick jumping into neutral near J23 so till the gearbox is fixed I'm stuck on the train... don't get me started on those...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:19 - Aug 26 with 3119 viewsBrynmill_Jack

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:29 - Aug 26 by johnlangy

Coincidence or what.

I've emailed Rachel Flint at the Daily Post, Richard Youle at the EP and both Mike Hedges and Carolyn Harris about this thread.

I mentioned in my mail to Mike and Carolyn that they may want to respond to some of our postings such as the one that mentions about them toeing the party line.

Tell them that the breakaway city state of Swansea bay will break away (as is it's wont )as a consequence if this disparity continues. Plans are well afoot after a program of civil disobedience which will include Swansea patriots mooning at all AM's leaving the Sennedd building and lavabread Molotovs being thrown

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:45 - Aug 26 with 3107 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 13:39 - Aug 26 by yescomeon

The interesting one there, apart from the appalling discrepancy of course, is the £1014 per head on infrastructure spent on South Wales in the last two years. I wonder what the split of that is between SE and SW Wales? Even more interesting is what is the projected spend will be when the Cardiff projects come to fruition.
Well done the Daily Post and the Lib Dems I say. At least they are trying to get to the bottom of things whilst our politicians sit on their hands and SWEP concentrate on Benefit fiddles and sex acts in McDonald's Car Park!

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 23:51 - Aug 26 with 3078 viewsyescomeon

To be fair if you think swansea is bad, go to Holyhead. Much more chance of money getting to Swansea than out West or up north. When I was working up in Holyhead the complaints were exactly like the are on here only replace Cardiff with South Wales.

Being from West Wales myself I'm obviously very interested to find out where the WAG money is going.

Upthecity!

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:04 - Aug 27 with 3076 viewsBrynmill_Jack

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 19:12 - Aug 26 by blueytheblue

Can't disagree with you about the Metro - although I'd point out Cardiff council are idiots. For example, Gabalfa interchange has been made a 20 mph limit - as have a fair few roads in Cardiff. That interchange speed limit change was made due to "accidents". FOI should showed no more incidents than normal.

They also made dedicated left hand turn lanes only; as a consequence a friend, when he comes back from work has to go through the interchange at 20mph and take an immediate left turn to get to the road he lives in - cutting across the dedicated left hand turn lane. So he has to either block traffic or hope someone isn't speeding.

Putting traffic lights up didn;t occur to those brainiacs.

As for Brynglas, it should benefit everyone in South Wales. If the relief road is a pay road as I believe was mooted at one point, can't see much take up of it. even if more investment did come into Cardiff as a consequence, attempted to sort out that mess needs doing. I don't have confidence WAG would make the right decisions over it.

Reallty is, there are far, far too many junctions on the M4. what is it, 22 from the English side then 26/27 on the Welsh side? Ridiculous, encourages people to hop on then hop off as soon as possible which causes most of the trouble.

Then again what would I know? Going to a client site in Bristol the other day I lost 5th gear - stick jumping into neutral near J23 so till the gearbox is fixed I'm stuck on the train... don't get me started on those...

What you need is a publically owned rail service which is reasonable to use and puts the passenger first. Vote Corbyn!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:13 - Aug 27 with 3073 viewsyescomeon

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:04 - Aug 27 by Brynmill_Jack

What you need is a publically owned rail service which is reasonable to use and puts the passenger first. Vote Corbyn!

Jeremy Corbyn -> J C -> Jesus Christ. Jeremy Corbyn is the second coming...

Upthecity!

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:26 - Aug 27 with 3061 viewsBanosswan

Plus the m4 relief road will bulldoze a load of important wetlands. But then they didn't care when they created Cardiff swamp.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 09:35 - Aug 27 with 3006 viewsjohnlangy

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:45 - Aug 26 by Private_Partz

The interesting one there, apart from the appalling discrepancy of course, is the £1014 per head on infrastructure spent on South Wales in the last two years. I wonder what the split of that is between SE and SW Wales? Even more interesting is what is the projected spend will be when the Cardiff projects come to fruition.
Well done the Daily Post and the Lib Dems I say. At least they are trying to get to the bottom of things whilst our politicians sit on their hands and SWEP concentrate on Benefit fiddles and sex acts in McDonald's Car Park!

When I emailed Rachel Flint, the reporter behind the Daily Post article, I pointed out that it's not a North/South divide specifically and asked if she had any figures on a SE/SW basis because the South West is certainly not getting £1014 spent per head.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 2960 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 09:35 - Aug 27 by johnlangy

When I emailed Rachel Flint, the reporter behind the Daily Post article, I pointed out that it's not a North/South divide specifically and asked if she had any figures on a SE/SW basis because the South West is certainly not getting £1014 spent per head.

That will be an interesting figure if indeed she has been given it. I suspect not as it seems the purpose of the article was to highlight the North South divide.
Out of interest does anyone know if any of the our 'national' Cardiff based media picked up on this? Apologies for asking but it has been one of those days today. I will have to dig around on the weekend. Have they had the Lib Dem AMs or their leader on BBC or ITV Wales for instance? I would be pleasantly I surprised if they touched it with a barge pole.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2015 19:20]

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 19:26 - Aug 27 with 2937 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 23:51 - Aug 26 by yescomeon

To be fair if you think swansea is bad, go to Holyhead. Much more chance of money getting to Swansea than out West or up north. When I was working up in Holyhead the complaints were exactly like the are on here only replace Cardiff with South Wales.

Being from West Wales myself I'm obviously very interested to find out where the WAG money is going.

This is absolutely right and we must be very careful not to make this a Swansea / Cardiff thing despite the obvious enormous discrepancies between the two cities. JL has said he has to take the Swansea viewpoint as he is dealing with Swansea politicians but is pushing for the bigger picture. I.e the whole of Wales.
My hope is that the Daily Post article will stir some of our Mid / Northern brothers and sisters to lobby their AMs and MPs as they have been failed by them big time.

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 10:06 - Aug 28 with 2889 viewsjohnlangy

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 19:26 - Aug 27 by Private_Partz

This is absolutely right and we must be very careful not to make this a Swansea / Cardiff thing despite the obvious enormous discrepancies between the two cities. JL has said he has to take the Swansea viewpoint as he is dealing with Swansea politicians but is pushing for the bigger picture. I.e the whole of Wales.
My hope is that the Daily Post article will stir some of our Mid / Northern brothers and sisters to lobby their AMs and MPs as they have been failed by them big time.

When I spoke to Mike and Carolyn I gave one example of the Rest of Wales v Cardiff investment imbalance.

A few weeks ago I drove from Swansea to Aberystwyth via Carmarthen/Lampeter. The Carm to Aber drive took over two hours to cover 40 miles. If I turned right after leaving Lalngyfelach after two hours i'd be in Swindon at least. I made the point about Carmarthen and Aberystwyth being major towns in a Welsh context, both historically and culturally. Mike said they're both smaller than Morriston and Carolyn said i've driven that road many times and it's a lovely drive as it is. How dismissive is that.

She's right. It is a lovely drive. But what if you live at the other end of it. I bet it's not a lovely drive for Aber residents who have to make the drive EVERY time they want to get anywhere.What if that resident is out of work and a potential employer says they are not going to invest there because the transport infrastructure would make their business unviable.

It's just a pleasant day out for us. It's rather more important to them.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 11:26 - Aug 28 with 2867 viewsWingstandwood

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 18:29 - Aug 26 by johnlangy

Coincidence or what.

Oi!.......Do the 'cuckoo's-in-the-nest' lot down Cardiff Bay that are an insult to past great Welsh Labour politicians actually realise?.......... that a place like (traditional heartland seat of old?) Gower has been lost?.......What constituency next?............And what constituency after that?

Unbelievable to think these 'cuckoo-in-the-nest' impostors are slowly destroying their own party in Wales from within? Who needs the despicable Tories to hit Labour at the ballot box? Labour Party WAG's are doing a better job at that IMO?.......They might be cr*p at looking after the rest of Wales, but hey!.......Destroying their own party?........It's slowly becoming their forte?

Argus!

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 17:24 - Aug 28 with 2799 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 10:06 - Aug 28 by johnlangy

When I spoke to Mike and Carolyn I gave one example of the Rest of Wales v Cardiff investment imbalance.

A few weeks ago I drove from Swansea to Aberystwyth via Carmarthen/Lampeter. The Carm to Aber drive took over two hours to cover 40 miles. If I turned right after leaving Lalngyfelach after two hours i'd be in Swindon at least. I made the point about Carmarthen and Aberystwyth being major towns in a Welsh context, both historically and culturally. Mike said they're both smaller than Morriston and Carolyn said i've driven that road many times and it's a lovely drive as it is. How dismissive is that.

She's right. It is a lovely drive. But what if you live at the other end of it. I bet it's not a lovely drive for Aber residents who have to make the drive EVERY time they want to get anywhere.What if that resident is out of work and a potential employer says they are not going to invest there because the transport infrastructure would make their business unviable.

Absolutely shockingly dismissive. It just goes to show how poor the quality of politicians we have. That response actually makes me very angry. Most politicians and those in the know recognise that investment in an area cannot take place without transport infrastructure. A point obviously lost on these people. They are small areas lacking in jobs because of this shocking patronising view. We should have a motorway North To South in Wales plus a top quality coastal route to a minimum standard of dual carriageway. The M4 should extend to the ferry terminals and the North Wales route should be motorway as well. People die on these farm tracks of roads regularly at present as a result of having to share winding two lane roads with heavy lorries.
I always use Gran Canaria as an example. A third of the size of Wales outside the main tourist season and still smaller at peak times when stuffed with holiday makers. They still have a far superior motorway network. For anyone who mentions cost I would give you the St Gotthard base tunnel. Where there is a will there us a way. There is no will at all by Complacent Carwyn and his crew to improve the rest of Wales it would seem.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2015 17:29]

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 17:43 - Aug 28 with 2785 viewsWhiterockin

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 10:06 - Aug 28 by johnlangy

I often need to travel to North Wales. From Swansea I can get to Gatwick Airport quicker than I can can get to Mold.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:13 - Aug 29 with 2701 viewsCopperJack

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 11:30 - Aug 25 by Clinton

I applaud your initiative. And agree the Assembly needs to get behind Swansea.

Just a points, though. There has been a lot of investment of various types, but mostly wasted.
11 million for the bus station that looks pretty similar to how it used to. And we lost that car park behind the Grand.
Then the train station revamps just gave us new paving and a smarter frontage etc, but no real improvement to functionality.
Then there's the boulevard. More new paving and little else.
Then there's the bendy bus. They actually made the road system worse to accomodate it, and killed a few people along the way.
Conclusion. We have had quite a lot of investment in Swansea, a lot of it funded by Europe, that's been spent on new paving and and a bit of smartening up, but no real improvements.

The next bit of investment will be to rebuild a perfectly fine civic centre building on the Kingsway in the old Odeon. Not sure where the staff and public will park for that one mind.

When are we going to make some real improvements ?

The problem is, yes we've wasted money, and had some investment, but look at St Davids, Cardiff Bay (almost £20m each year maintaining it alone), the new studios, Dr Who, the new BBC HQ, every time they pay a company like Deloittes to open an extra 200 jobs there, each of which paying £30k+. All creates a wealth bubble. The amounts they spend in Swansea are minimal and more to the point, is always done in conjunction with EU funding, which Swansea sorely relies on because we're neglected by our own government.

I fully applaud the OP, more and more people need to do this. Don't vote Labour. It justifies their actions. Mike Hedges is a charlatan who is content with getting away with the bare minimum, as long as he keeps his position. The ultimate 'career politician'.

Welsh Labour have stopped me feeling patriotic and stopped me ever voting Labour. The more people that take this to their AM, the better we'll be. Make your voice heard!

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 22:29 - Aug 29 with 2677 viewsCopperJack

Further to what Langy said, here's some more info -
In December 2014, the Welsh gov't paid Active Quote £600k to open in Cardiff.
In June 2014, it was agreed that the Welsh Government would spend £10m on new roads in Cardiff to fund a new BBC HQ in the city.
They've invested £30 million on a film investment project
In October 2011 — £300k Penarth Pier. Grant unavailable for Mumbles Pier.
Spending millions on taking the Ashes to Cardiff and claim it's 'Good for Wales'. Nowhere outside Cardiff benefits.
Building new skating rink and winter sports zone.

The Welsh Government promised the money from the sale of SA1 would be spent on creating a new marina in SA1, 400 berth. People built flats on this promise. The Welsh Government redistributed this £8million.

The £19m that would need to be spent on this development, not including the £8m set aside, would equate to two year’s finance in Cardiff Bay.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 23:23 - Aug 29 with 2659 viewsKilkennyjack

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 17:24 - Aug 28 by Private_Partz

Absolutely shockingly dismissive. It just goes to show how poor the quality of politicians we have. That response actually makes me very angry. Most politicians and those in the know recognise that investment in an area cannot take place without transport infrastructure. A point obviously lost on these people. They are small areas lacking in jobs because of this shocking patronising view. We should have a motorway North To South in Wales plus a top quality coastal route to a minimum standard of dual carriageway. The M4 should extend to the ferry terminals and the North Wales route should be motorway as well. People die on these farm tracks of roads regularly at present as a result of having to share winding two lane roads with heavy lorries.
I always use Gran Canaria as an example. A third of the size of Wales outside the main tourist season and still smaller at peak times when stuffed with holiday makers. They still have a far superior motorway network. For anyone who mentions cost I would give you the St Gotthard base tunnel. Where there is a will there us a way. There is no will at all by Complacent Carwyn and his crew to improve the rest of Wales it would seem.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2015 17:29]

I could not agree more - this must be our national priority.

Beware of the Risen People

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:59 - Aug 30 with 2630 viewsjackpot

In the first place people wanted devolution from London.
Now most of Wales wants devolution from Cardiff.
WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 10:17 - Aug 30 with 2586 viewsPrivate_Partz

WAG investment in Cardiff compared with the rest of Wales on 00:59 - Aug 30 by jackpot

In the first place people wanted devolution from London.
Now most of Wales wants devolution from Cardiff.

This is completely true unfortunately. I was in favour of regional governments to promote wealth and investment in the the area as a whole. WAG have created this but unfortunately the vast majority of the wealth creation is on their doorstep.
Wales as a whole benefited to a far greater extend when a few Welsh MPs voted in Westminster backed up by a few English ones.
I certainly did not see this toeing the party line politics as all the Labour MPs dance to Carwyn's tune regardless of the lack of investment in their respective areas. Career politicians indeed.
If Corbyn wins I will join the Labour Party but no way on earth is the complacent shower in Cardiff Bay getting my vote. A very strange situation to be in.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024