Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Montero Enigma 20:41 - Dec 14 with 4013 viewsjackrabbit

Early in the season when we never for a moment envisaged our present predicament, I corrected somebody who called Montero 'world class'. Typical messageboard overstatement. 'No', I said, 'Suarez is world class. Montero is just a very good player'.

Well what has happened to our very good player? I sit in the lower east very near the touchline at the south end so I see Montero close up in the second half. I just don't understand his play. He stands rooted to the touchline just onside with a defender or defenders parked close to him, giving Taylor or whoever very few options for a pass. He inevitably receives the ball and is immediately closed down. The times he does give himself some room by actually moving, he accelerates and usually clips over a delicious cross. But it doesn't happen enough..

A good winger should keep his defender guessing. 'Is he going to stay on the touchline or is he going to dart behind me to run onto a ball slid through inside me?' Montero never tries the latter. I've heard the crowd get on Taylor's back for a poor attempted pass to Montero when really it was Montero's fault for not giving him any options. It is a very frustrating thing to watch week after week and is the reason Montero is not a starter. IMHO he is the most under-achieving player in the squad. Fantastically talented, tremendous acceleration and a glorious left foot but not playing anywhere near where he should be. On his day he has destroyed some of the best fullbacks in the league - ask Arsenal or Chelsea- so he definitely can look 'world class'. Perhaps Curt can sort him out.
The Montero Enigma on 12:45 - Dec 15 with 1017 viewsjack247

The Montero Enigma on 12:41 - Dec 15 by karnataka

Never was this more evident than in the Villa away game when several times, Taylor brought the ball forward into space and Montero stood on the line watching him instead of making a run for Taylor to play him in and Taylor was shouting and waving his arms at Montero to get moving. After offloading the ball, probably sideways or back to Ash, I saw Taylor shouting an remonstrating at Monk to sort it out as he was getting well peed off.

As the OP says, an enigma, can be devastating but can also be a passenger at times.

This is why he isn't in the team. Far more talented than Routledge, but less of a team player and without as much awareness. As an impact sub he can still be brilliant, but all he needs to do is play as less of an individual and he would be a top player.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2015 12:45]
The Montero Enigma on 13:55 - Dec 15 with 964 viewsLord_Bony

Wtf went wrong? He was the talk of the league a few weeks ago. Does well for Argentina..

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The Montero Enigma on 14:00 - Dec 15 with 961 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Montero Enigma on 13:55 - Dec 15 by Lord_Bony

Wtf went wrong? He was the talk of the league a few weeks ago. Does well for Argentina..

That's the trouble LB. He plays for Ecuador!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Montero Enigma on 14:07 - Dec 15 with 949 viewsWxmJax

I think this has been the problem this season. At times we've been playing with 9 men because Gomis and Montero just haven't been contributing enough. Montero just stays on the line yet some people think he's awesome.

I don't think I've seen one ball put over the top for him to run on to, not that he'd make an effort to get it. It must be frustrating for Taylor. I thought we lost an edge when Routs was taken off on Saturday and replaced by Montero.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The Montero Enigma on 14:14 - Dec 15 with 943 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Montero Enigma on 14:07 - Dec 15 by WxmJax

I think this has been the problem this season. At times we've been playing with 9 men because Gomis and Montero just haven't been contributing enough. Montero just stays on the line yet some people think he's awesome.

I don't think I've seen one ball put over the top for him to run on to, not that he'd make an effort to get it. It must be frustrating for Taylor. I thought we lost an edge when Routs was taken off on Saturday and replaced by Montero.

Curtis got it so, so right on Saturday. Left both of them on the bench and no striker either. Barca esque!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Montero Enigma on 17:38 - Dec 15 with 877 viewskarnataka

The Montero Enigma on 12:45 - Dec 15 by jack247

This is why he isn't in the team. Far more talented than Routledge, but less of a team player and without as much awareness. As an impact sub he can still be brilliant, but all he needs to do is play as less of an individual and he would be a top player.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2015 12:45]

Maybe Has one talent that is better than anything Routledge has but Routs will give you a 6 or 7 nearly every match whereas lately Jeff will be a 9 or a 3, nothing in between. The question is, how many 3s do we tolerate for every 9 he gives us and probably more importantly, can you have a player starting at this level who you know is possibly more likely to give you a 3 than a 9?

Hopefully a new manager can address this and turn him into the star he has the potential to be. Has Huw gone to see Ecuador's manager?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2015 17:39]
The Montero Enigma on 17:45 - Dec 15 with 863 viewskarnataka

The Montero Enigma on 14:14 - Dec 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Curtis got it so, so right on Saturday. Left both of them on the bench and no striker either. Barca esque!

I think you're right, we started with no passengers against Man City and it showed, every player contributed. Late in the game when you're chasing, you maybe have to take risks by replacing one of your percentage players and introduce a player who might change the game and might not.
The Montero Enigma on 18:15 - Dec 15 with 851 viewsmidswan

The Montero Enigma on 17:45 - Dec 15 by karnataka

I think you're right, we started with no passengers against Man City and it showed, every player contributed. Late in the game when you're chasing, you maybe have to take risks by replacing one of your percentage players and introduce a player who might change the game and might not.

Curt did put Monty on to try and change the game, sadly to absolutely no avail at all.
There is a reason 'bigger' clubs did not buy him, as we now know.Mind you almost all wide men are pretty much all or nothing its just matter of how many of each game you get and how often as stated above.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024