Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire 23:39 - May 20 with 2462 viewsDavillin

Here are some photos of Spitfires from a new book entitled The Last of the Few.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/20/the-last-of-the-few-stunning-photogra

This post has been edited by an administrator

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 00:38 - May 21 with 2430 viewsTreforys_Jack

I had the privilege of seeing 15 Spitfires and 2 Seafires in a display last Sept. A real treat for the eyes and most definitely the ears. Stunning experience.
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 05:48 - May 21 with 2389 viewsTownhill_Hilton

Probably the most important machine invented in this country. Without.the Spitfire we would not have won the Battle Of Britain. And if we had not won the BoB then we would have lost the war. Have always loved that plane and it is still a piece of beauty
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 06:37 - May 21 with 2376 viewsjackb

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 05:48 - May 21 by Townhill_Hilton

Probably the most important machine invented in this country. Without.the Spitfire we would not have won the Battle Of Britain. And if we had not won the BoB then we would have lost the war. Have always loved that plane and it is still a piece of beauty

People always underestimate the effect the hurricane had in the BoB. Spitfire is a gorgeous plane and is most recognised but the hurricane had a huge part to play too. It needed bith to win that battle
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 06:54 - May 21 with 2369 viewsCooperman

They sound as good as they look.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 07:05 - May 21 with 2360 viewsTreforys_Jack

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 06:37 - May 21 by jackb

People always underestimate the effect the hurricane had in the BoB. Spitfire is a gorgeous plane and is most recognised but the hurricane had a huge part to play too. It needed bith to win that battle

I agree but its worth remembering that the Hurricanes went after the bombers while the Spitfires primarily went after the fighters, that's why the kill ratio for the Hurricanes during the BoB exceeded the Spitfires. Britain also had the Fairy Battles and the Boulton Paul Defiant s which were little more than target practice for the Luftwaffe.
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 10:46 - May 21 with 2304 viewsLord_Bony

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 05:48 - May 21 by Townhill_Hilton

This all the way.

The Supermarine Spitfire loved by pilots all over the world.

The right plane at the right time saved our bacon.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 11:25 - May 21 with 2266 viewsLord_Bony

Lets not forget the Americans also made some beautiful aircraft.

Heres the P51 Mustang

Lockheed P38 Lightning

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 11:56 - May 21 with 2234 viewsslate_dk

As much as I love the sight and sound of a Supermarine Spitfire; yes it is the most beautiful plane.
But in regards to what won the war; my vote could as well go to the Merlin engine which found its way to several places like the Lancaster... and it took a Merlin to show what a plane the Mustang is.
Login to get fewer ads

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 12:03 - May 21 with 2229 viewsLord_Bony

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 11:56 - May 21 by slate_dk

As much as I love the sight and sound of a Supermarine Spitfire; yes it is the most beautiful plane.
But in regards to what won the war; my vote could as well go to the Merlin engine which found its way to several places like the Lancaster... and it took a Merlin to show what a plane the Mustang is.

Agreed.

Without the Rolls Royce Merlin engine the Mustang was useless.

Transformed our aircraft.

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 13:29 - May 21 with 2172 viewsDewi1jack

Back in the mid 80's, we helped a lad living in Cornwall source parts for a photo recon Spitfire.
The Royal Air Force wouldn't help officially , but amazing what could be found just lying around stores on different bases exchanging for slabs/ favours/ bit of blackmail etc
We watched and helped him fully restore it when we could.
The sound of that Merlin as he flew over our base the day he finished it was an absolute joy.
The Merlin is without a shadow of a doubt, the most beautiful sounding engine there is.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 14:54 - May 21 with 2142 viewsNogginthenog

It is a lovely looking aicraft in all its marques but I particularly like the later ones with the bubble canopy. Strikingly beautiful, it just looks right and from what pilots have said it flies as good as it looks. You can get a trip in a 2 seater for about 2k, now that would be an experience.
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 16:55 - May 21 with 2099 viewsTreforys_Jack

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 11:56 - May 21 by slate_dk

Absolutely this.
The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 17:10 - May 21 with 2082 viewsjackportis

Naomi Campbell

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 21:59 - May 21 with 1986 viewsProfessor

The most beautiful object ever made -- the Spitfire on 07:05 - May 21 by Treforys_Jack

I agree but its worth remembering that the Hurricanes went after the bombers while the Spitfires primarily went after the fighters, that's why the kill ratio for the Hurricanes during the BoB exceeded the Spitfires. Britain also had the Fairy Battles and the Boulton Paul Defiant s which were little more than target practice for the Luftwaffe.

There were far more hurricanes than sipitfires in 1940-so was crucial. The Defiant was a good nightlighter but outclassed as a fighter. I always loved the British postwar jets up to the English Electric lightning
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024