Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL Club finance breakdown 09:49 - May 26 with 7549 viewsDDCH

Article in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by

Swansea bit for those who don't want to read the whole thing

Swansea City
Accounts of Swansea City Football 2002 Ltd for 14 months to 31 July 2015 (club changed its financial year end to 31 July, so all figures are for 14 months from 31 May 2014)

- Ownership Martin Morgan 23.7%; Brian Katzen 10.5%; Jeffrey Crevoiserat 10.5%; Swansea City Supporters Society Limited 21.1%; Huw Jenkins 13.2%; Robert Davies 10.5%; John van Zweden 5%; Leigh Dineen 5%

- Turnover Joint 12th highest in League £104m, up from £99m in 2014

- Income Gate and match-day income £8m; TV and broadcasting £85m; Commercial & other £11m

- Wage bill 8th highest in League £83m, up from £63m in 2014

- Wages as proportion of turnover 80%

- Profit before tax £2m, following £1m profit in 2014

- Net debt £21m

- Interest payable £0.2m

- Highest-paid director Huw Jenkins, £516,667

State they are in: Long hailed as a model ownership structure, including by the Premier League’s Richard Scudamore. But the shareholders who have been partners to the supporters trust’s 21% stake for 14 years are now selling. The takeover by US investors Stephen Kaplan and Jason Levien is understood to be nearing completion, with the owners set to make millions for shares now valued at 100 times more than they paid in 2002. Huw Jenkins, credited with expert stewardship of the club through its remarkable rise, is set to stay as executive chairman.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:03 - May 26 with 5419 viewsjackjackjackjack

You don't want to spend £100m to get a profit of £1m, so come the takeover, cuts will have to be made somewhere.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:22 - May 26 with 5387 viewsStarsky

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:03 - May 26 by jackjackjackjack

You don't want to spend £100m to get a profit of £1m, so come the takeover, cuts will have to be made somewhere.

The revenue from Sky goes up this season, so that will set things better

It's just the internet, init.

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:24 - May 26 with 5375 viewsDewi1jack

What alarms me is the Income Gate and match-day income of £8m
So, with fag packet maths and total guesswork.

Guessing at about 6,000 students, disabled with free carers, seniors and kiddy tickets, income from STs at an average of £270 (£1.62 million)
Leaving 10,000 full price at say £440 (£4.4 million)
3,000 walk ups including away fans at an average of £30 (£1.71 million)

I make that about £7,730,000

Even if I've overestimated ticket sales by a £million, 19 matches of sponsorship/ annoying advertising boards facing the crowd and the pitch/ club shop/ mascots etc has raised very little in the way of match day income.
Left the food and drink out as I assume that goes to Stadco.
Especially when there is free World wide advertising of the club.
IMHO, someone isn't very good at their jobs

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:32 - May 26 with 5349 viewshammy

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:22 - May 26 by Starsky

The revenue from Sky goes up this season, so that will set things better

These are also 14 month figures to the end of July 2015, so probably include 2 months costs without any additional revenue. Will be interesting to see the change in the wage %age for this year. We've sold Jonjo, but taken on Gomis and Ayew ;)

Given that this is a football club business we shouldn't expect to see significant profits since, as fans, we would much prefer to spend the money to get success on the field. But let's hope the increased revenue is spent wisely !

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:35 - May 26 with 5339 viewsbuilthjack

Who owns the other 0.5% ?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:39 - May 26 with 5323 viewsplasjack

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:24 - May 26 by Dewi1jack

Guessing at about 6,000 students, disabled with free carers, seniors and kiddy tickets, income from STs at an average of £270 (£1.62 million)

Even if I've overestimated ticket sales by a £million, 19 matches of sponsorship/ annoying advertising boards facing the crowd and the pitch/ club shop/ mascots etc has raised very little in the way of match day income.

As the saying goes you cant get a pint into a half pint pot as regards attendances, we are full for the majority of home games. Crowd money is a minute part of revenue even for the likes of Manu and Gunners.
PL Club finance breakdown on 10:39 - May 26 with 5323 viewsLeonisGod

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:24 - May 26 by Dewi1jack

All the sponsorship, shop, mascots, etc. will be counted under commercial though, won't it? Match day is pretty much just the tickets, lottos things, programme. So £8m sounds about right.

Increasing the stadium by 5,000 would therefore lead to no more than £2m extra over the season in increased match day income. Makes you wonder whether it's worth it.
PL Club finance breakdown on 10:41 - May 26 with 5315 viewsLandore_Jack

Crystal Palace
Net debt £0 (£18m cash in bank)

West Brom:
Net debt £0

Swansea
Net debt £21m

What a contrast. Surprised at that.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 10:44]

#backtojack

Login to get fewer ads

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:02 - May 26 with 5273 viewsandypitt56

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:41 - May 26 by Landore_Jack

Crystal Palace

West Brom:
Net debt £0

Swansea
Net debt £21m

I'm guessing the net debt is down the the money that's been plowed into the facilities the last few years.
PL Club finance breakdown on 11:05 - May 26 with 5271 viewsbuilthjack

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:39 - May 26 by LeonisGod

All the sponsorship, shop, mascots, etc. will be counted under commercial though, won't it? Match day is pretty much just the tickets, lottos things, programme. So £8m sounds about right.

Increasing the stadium by 5,000 would therefore lead to no more than £2m extra over the season in increased match day income. Makes you wonder whether it's worth it.

yes, it would make an extra £2.5m a year. so a £12 cost for 5000 seats would be paid for in 5 years. Then profit every year after that. If they got their own bars in that part it would make more. No brainer, build the bloody thing.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:08 - May 26 with 5258 viewsDewi1jack

The wording is "income gate and match day revenue," so I took that as being all match day income and the paying "customers" as separate bits
And I've only worked on a 19,000 full stadium.
So somewhere in the region of £1 to £2 million extra revenue raised on 19 matches or about £2.50 to a fiver a person.
Not forgetting the 5,000+ who'll turn up for cup games/ friendlies.
2 of them at an average of £10 a ticket raises another £100K
5,000 programmes at (are ours???) £3, £1 or £2 (???) for the cup games
Club shop (trinkets, badges etc) to visitors. Shop and queues at the tills always seem jammed.
Not forgetting say 1,000 replica kits at £45 a pop around the first game of the season.
Lotto/ flyers whatever 1,000 at a quid(???)
Genuinely don't know the prices for the programmes/ flyers

No-one is so far convincing me the quoted figure for match day and ticket income is way too low.
Or is it the same cash accounting system us at the Vetch used to operate with?
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:10]

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:20 - May 26 with 5228 viewsplasjack

Selling Jonjo for £12M covers us for 18 months then.
PL Club finance breakdown on 11:24 - May 26 with 5215 viewslonglostjack

We're redder than the communists. 80% of the turnover is going in wages to the workers (players). Karl Marx would be a Jack !

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:46 - May 26 with 5161 viewsplasjack

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:24 - May 26 by longlostjack

We're redder than the communists. 80% of the turnover is going in wages to the workers (players). Karl Marx would be a Jack !

If Stalin was Chairman all our sacked ex managers would be liquidated, saving us paying them compensation payments as well.
PL Club finance breakdown on 11:51 - May 26 with 5144 viewsjasper_T

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:32 - May 26 by hammy

These are also 14 month figures to the end of July 2015, so probably include 2 months costs without any additional revenue. Will be interesting to see the change in the wage %age for this year. We've sold Jonjo, but taken on Gomis and Ayew ;)

Given that this is a football club business we shouldn't expect to see significant profits since, as fans, we would much prefer to spend the money to get success on the field. But let's hope the increased revenue is spent wisely !

The change of year end is the only reason those figures might look alarming. Next year's will be right as rain.
PL Club finance breakdown on 11:52 - May 26 with 5142 viewsLeonisGod

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:08 - May 26 by Dewi1jack

The wording is "income gate and match day revenue," so I took that as being all match day income and the paying "customers" as separate bits
And I've only worked on a 19,000 full stadium.
So somewhere in the region of £1 to £2 million extra revenue raised on 19 matches or about £2.50 to a fiver a person.
Not forgetting the 5,000+ who'll turn up for cup games/ friendlies.
2 of them at an average of £10 a ticket raises another £100K
5,000 programmes at (are ours???) £3, £1 or £2 (???) for the cup games
Club shop (trinkets, badges etc) to visitors. Shop and queues at the tills always seem jammed.
Not forgetting say 1,000 replica kits at £45 a pop around the first game of the season.
Lotto/ flyers whatever 1,000 at a quid(???)
Genuinely don't know the prices for the programmes/ flyers

No-one is so far convincing me the quoted figure for match day and ticket income is way too low.
Or is it the same cash accounting system us at the Vetch used to operate with?
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:10]

Aye, not denying we're a bit amateurish on our marketing & customer service still. Catering is a joke for starters.
PL Club finance breakdown on 12:08 - May 26 with 5111 viewsplasjack

PL Club finance breakdown on 11:52 - May 26 by LeonisGod

Aye, not denying we're a bit amateurish on our marketing & customer service still. Catering is a joke for starters.

Think catering is run by Compass, not directly by Stadco, how much we rake in as a percentage of sales anyone Know?.
PL Club finance breakdown on 12:35 - May 26 with 5068 viewsDewi1jack

PL Club finance breakdown on 12:08 - May 26 by plasjack

Think catering is run by Compass, not directly by Stadco, how much we rake in as a percentage of sales anyone Know?.

Aren't compass a partner in Stadco?
Along with the council, us and Ospreys.
Think there's one other making 5 partners

Edit.
Can blame the board for signing players and staff , not doing enough commercially etc.
Can't blame the sell outs for the c**p food and coffee though.
At least I don't think so.
Unless it's an arm of someone's catering/ vending company
[Post edited 26 May 2016 12:38]

PL Club finance breakdown on 12:42 - May 26 with 5045 viewsLandore_Jack

It would be great if we used local companies for catering. E.g.

Castell Howell, Lewis Pies, Tomos Watkins, Felinfoel etc.

#backtojack

PL Club finance breakdown on 14:18 - May 26 with 4961 viewsGlyn1

"Increasing the stadium by 5,000 would therefore lead to no more than £2m extra over the season in increased match day income. Makes you wonder whether it's worth it."

No it doesn't. 5,000 x 19 home matches = 95,000 extra people watching the Swans. It's not always about the money (but you know that).
[Post edited 26 May 2016 14:20]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

PL Club finance breakdown on 15:19 - May 26 with 4904 viewsscottishjack

Wages 80% of turnover! That's worryingly high no?
PL Club finance breakdown on 15:48 - May 26 with 4879 viewsjackjackjackjack

PL Club finance breakdown on 15:19 - May 26 by scottishjack

Wages 80% of turnover! That's worryingly high no?

Only QPR were higher. Best sign some of their high earners to help them out.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

PL Club finance breakdown on 16:28 - May 26 with 4812 viewssomersetsimon

PL Club finance breakdown on 10:41 - May 26 by Landore_Jack

Crystal Palace

West Brom:
Net debt £0

Swansea
Net debt £21m

So when did we accrue that £21M debt? I thought we's made a profit for the last 5 years.

Is this some kind of accountancy sleight of hand?
PL Club finance breakdown on 16:29 - May 26 with 4811 viewssomersetsimon

PL Club finance breakdown on 15:48 - May 26 by jackjackjackjack

Only QPR were higher. Best sign some of their high earners to help them out.

I think QPR's wages to turnover figure was something insane like 120%!
PL Club finance breakdown on 16:32 - May 26 with 4805 viewsLandore_Jack

PL Club finance breakdown on 16:28 - May 26 by somersetsimon

So when did we accrue that £21M debt? I thought we's made a profit for the last 5 years.

Is this some kind of accountancy sleight of hand?

The figure quoted by the Guardian may be incorrect.

If the figure is accurate I would like to know how. I thought the finances were healthy?
[Post edited 26 May 2016 16:39]

#backtojack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024