Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now that the transfer window is over... 11:26 - Feb 2 with 5060 viewsMyFinalHeaven

How do you think we did?

Personally I'm not entirely convinced we did enough to stay up. At all. This squad is still in desperate need of a defensive midfielder, a new right back, and a centre back.

If we couldn't afford to buy another player, then surely we could have at least gotten some guy(s) in on loan? With those around us fighting to stay up all strengthening their squads relentlessly and bringing in a multitude of upgrades, it's all very disappointing. We learned the hard way what happens when you sit idly by in the summer and do nothing as the rest of the league improves their teams. This January window was the last chance we had at correcting all the inactivity and incompetence that occurred in the summer. But as it stands there's every chance that we made the same mistake yet again.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2017 7:53]

Come on you Swans.

Now that the transfer window is over... on 12:09 - Feb 3 with 1387 viewsQuakerJack

Hull, Sunderland and Boro

Sunderland and Hull look doomed... Really hope Boro go down, just to wind up my mates. Their transfer window was abysmal. They got in two strikers, one of which, Bamford, did ok for them in the Championship but flopped in the Prem at Burnley, Palace and Norwich... They have a manager who is at loggerheads with the Chairman and from what I hear, all is not well behind the scenes and in the dressing room. I don't expect them to finish the season with Karanka in charge.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Now that the transfer window is over... on 19:05 - Feb 3 with 1324 viewsjack247

Now that the transfer window is over... on 13:30 - Feb 2 by WandererJack

We made three good signings that will improve the squad - I'm assuming Narsingh is better than Routs here. We will see what Ayew offers in due course.

I'm surprised we didn't sign a centre half but glad to see FF's form has returned and I think we all agree Mawson starts.

Our best signing this winter is Clement though.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 13:31]

That's about the size of it. Not been a great window, though in fairness to Carroll he has way exceeded my expectations so far. Other than that, Narsingh for Barrow, Olsson for Taylor and Ayew for the player Baston was meant to be, look like relatively minor upgrades. We are basically banking on Clement being able to get the best out of the players we already have.
Now that the transfer window is over... on 21:26 - Feb 3 with 1246 viewsKerouac

Now that the transfer window is over... on 11:14 - Feb 3 by Jacket

Sorry can't agree with writing off a player whose had 494 minutes on the pitch most of which have come in 9 sub appearances often after the game had already been lost. You say Baston is a weakness, well we've got into this mess just fine without him in the most part.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2017 11:15]

Sorry, wasn't writing HIM off mate...I agree that we don't have a clue whether he is good enough or not as we haven't seen him have a run of games (starting and finishing them).

I meant that him being in the squad unused is a weakness of our squad.

I clearly stated that plenty of those I highlighted were good enough or potentially good enough; Rangel, Leon, Fulton, Kingsley, Barrow, Van der Hoorn (& I said that it was difficult to judge Gorre and Baston with their lack of game time).
I highlighted them because, for differing reasons, they represent weakness in the squad.
Rangel and Leon because of their age.
Fulton, Kingsley, Barrow and Van der Hoorn because we don't know if they will definitely be good enough if we need to rely on them for a period.

Baston, at £15m, needs to be making an impact in our first team.
If we are not going to use him he represents a weakness in our squad.
We can't afford to park that money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Now that the transfer window is over... on 22:30 - Feb 3 with 1219 viewsJacket

Now that the transfer window is over... on 21:26 - Feb 3 by Kerouac

Sorry, wasn't writing HIM off mate...I agree that we don't have a clue whether he is good enough or not as we haven't seen him have a run of games (starting and finishing them).

I meant that him being in the squad unused is a weakness of our squad.

I clearly stated that plenty of those I highlighted were good enough or potentially good enough; Rangel, Leon, Fulton, Kingsley, Barrow, Van der Hoorn (& I said that it was difficult to judge Gorre and Baston with their lack of game time).
I highlighted them because, for differing reasons, they represent weakness in the squad.
Rangel and Leon because of their age.
Fulton, Kingsley, Barrow and Van der Hoorn because we don't know if they will definitely be good enough if we need to rely on them for a period.

Baston, at £15m, needs to be making an impact in our first team.
If we are not going to use him he represents a weakness in our squad.
We can't afford to park that money.

Fair enough! Obviously, I agree it's a hell of a waste of £15m. Difficult to know what the answer is with Llorente's current form.
Now that the transfer window is over... on 07:25 - Feb 5 with 1132 viewsMyFinalHeaven

I seriously can't believe people have already written Borja off and are labeling him as a flop when he has yet to be given any consistent playing time whatsoever. The guy's only had 4 starts for fvck's sake, one of which involved him being taken off at half time by Bradley. How in the world is any striker supposed to flourish when given so few chances? Christ.

Come on you Swans.

Now that the transfer window is over... on 07:36 - Feb 5 with 1124 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Now that the transfer window is over... on 11:34 - Feb 2 by thereisnospoon

really not sure why we didn't get a dm and rb. it was a matter of common sense.

Absolutely. I'm not sure why we didn't even bring any players on loan. If we couldn't afford to buy another player, surely, we could have loaned some guy(s) in?

Look at Hull. They're the biggest penny pinchers in the league, and Assem Allam is literally the biggest cheapskate ever. It's seriously appalling how greedy he is--even Jenkins pales in comparison. But they got both Elabdellaoui (RB) and N'Diaye (DM) on loan (in addition to getting Ranocchia and Markovic on loan), and both of them were absolutely superb against Liverpool yesterday. N'Diaye especially. He fvcking bossed that midfield like his life depended on it.

Come on you Swans.

Now that the transfer window is over... on 07:43 - Feb 5 with 1117 viewsjack247

Now that the transfer window is over... on 07:25 - Feb 5 by MyFinalHeaven

I seriously can't believe people have already written Borja off and are labeling him as a flop when he has yet to be given any consistent playing time whatsoever. The guy's only had 4 starts for fvck's sake, one of which involved him being taken off at half time by Bradley. How in the world is any striker supposed to flourish when given so few chances? Christ.

Borja just isn't physically capable of playing up front on his own. I know he was technically playing that role for Eibar, but in reality, he was part of a mobile and interchangeable front four. He looks like he needs to bulk up and get used to the physicality before he can let his talent do the talking. He must have goals in him if he can impose himself on centre backs a bit more
Now that the transfer window is over... on 08:05 - Feb 5 with 1096 viewsthereisnospoon

Now that the transfer window is over... on 07:43 - Feb 5 by jack247

Borja just isn't physically capable of playing up front on his own. I know he was technically playing that role for Eibar, but in reality, he was part of a mobile and interchangeable front four. He looks like he needs to bulk up and get used to the physicality before he can let his talent do the talking. He must have goals in him if he can impose himself on centre backs a bit more

front 4? this isn't true at all. according to whoscored, which gauges player positions through heat maps and GPS positional tracking, Eibar played a 4-2-3-1 last season with Borja alone up top:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/824/Archive/Spain-Eibar

and to say he "just isn't physically capable of playing up front on his own" is ridiculous. forget the fact that he's done it his whole career. so far for us he hasn't had any bloddy problems at all with physicality. that's not the problem. the problem is that he's been given nearly zero chances
Login to get fewer ads

Now that the transfer window is over... on 09:04 - Feb 5 with 1064 viewsjack247

Now that the transfer window is over... on 08:05 - Feb 5 by thereisnospoon

front 4? this isn't true at all. according to whoscored, which gauges player positions through heat maps and GPS positional tracking, Eibar played a 4-2-3-1 last season with Borja alone up top:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/824/Archive/Spain-Eibar

and to say he "just isn't physically capable of playing up front on his own" is ridiculous. forget the fact that he's done it his whole career. so far for us he hasn't had any bloddy problems at all with physicality. that's not the problem. the problem is that he's been given nearly zero chances

The '3-1' is an interchangeable front four. Watch some of his or Eibars highlights, he pops up on both flanks and sometimes arrives into the box for a cutback well behind teammates who have dragged defenders out of position. Or you could just rely on a website pigeon-holing a fluid team into positions for the sake of one dimensional diagrams.

Every time he has played for us, he has been easily bullied by centre backs. That's nothing to do with not being match sharp, not having gelled with teammates or whatever else. It's not being able to cope physically.

I don't doubt he is a quality player, but he needs to toughen up in order to show his ability. Either that, or play him behind Llorente. That isn't going to happen unless we change formation and Gylfi is unavailable.
Now that the transfer window is over... on 14:07 - Feb 5 with 1018 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Remember what I said about us desperately needing a new RB?

Just look at the goal that just occurred in the Man City game:

https://u.nya.is/rtaekx.mp4

Disgraceful stuff from Naughton. Completely loses his man Gabriel Jesus after the throw in and walks around aimlessly as Jesus runs in completely unmarked and whacks it into the net.

FFS. This guy just never learns. Since the first month of the season he's literally been getting a salary from us to do nothing but stand around and ball watch.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2017 14:19]

Come on you Swans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024