Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A House Through Time BBC 2 21:23 - Jan 4 with 3982 viewslonglostjack

Interesting programme. Liverpool tonight.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:10 - Jan 5 with 1551 viewswaynekerr55

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 10:43 - Jan 5 by whoflungdung

I suppose ,having had a Christian upbringing, I'm doing God s work in trying to reach the dark souls on here gorging themselves on Liverpool s former reputation . I say former ,as both you and I know, the city is pre eminent in many respects ,not least classical music , at which many on here would express surprise.

I moved to Wirral in 76 and worked Liverpool for around thirty years . Never lived there but I know the city and it's quirky people. Programmes like this illustrate how unique Liverpool is in British history . It's truly a city with character albeit with many flaws but boring it ain't.

I consider myself lucky to live where I do and to be near such a magnificent ,flawed and simply fookn incredible potpouri of a City

Keep it to yourself but I was once officer in charge of "activities" around the Anglican Cathdral area as the working girls were upsetting the worshippers . It was like shoving you finger into a large burst dyke

HNY .belated I know

Incredible Pot Pouri?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:14 - Jan 5 with 1544 viewswhoflungdung

Not bad A.

Looks like longlostjack unknowingly awakened out regular trolls

Starts a decent thread and it goes into valley vortex

Just what the fook has happened to them down there WYne. It was never that bad ,was it .

Was it?

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:23 - Jan 5 with 1529 viewslondonlisa2001

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 10:43 - Jan 5 by whoflungdung

I suppose ,having had a Christian upbringing, I'm doing God s work in trying to reach the dark souls on here gorging themselves on Liverpool s former reputation . I say former ,as both you and I know, the city is pre eminent in many respects ,not least classical music , at which many on here would express surprise.

I moved to Wirral in 76 and worked Liverpool for around thirty years . Never lived there but I know the city and it's quirky people. Programmes like this illustrate how unique Liverpool is in British history . It's truly a city with character albeit with many flaws but boring it ain't.

I consider myself lucky to live where I do and to be near such a magnificent ,flawed and simply fookn incredible potpouri of a City

Keep it to yourself but I was once officer in charge of "activities" around the Anglican Cathdral area as the working girls were upsetting the worshippers . It was like shoving you finger into a large burst dyke

HNY .belated I know

"the city is pre eminent in many respects ,not least classical music , at which many on here would express surprise. "

Don't be so bloody ridiculous. Liverpool isn't even pre-eminent in the North West for classical music.

The RLPO is a perfectly good second or third tier orchestra and Petrenko a good young up and coming conductor.

Liverpool is a good city, but you do talk nonsense at times,
A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:36 - Jan 5 with 1513 viewsProfessor

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:23 - Jan 5 by londonlisa2001

"the city is pre eminent in many respects ,not least classical music , at which many on here would express surprise. "

Don't be so bloody ridiculous. Liverpool isn't even pre-eminent in the North West for classical music.

The RLPO is a perfectly good second or third tier orchestra and Petrenko a good young up and coming conductor.

I would say it has more of a theatre tradition, obviously not comparable with London but nowhere else in the UK is, through the Everyman and Playhouse. The Philharmonic is lovely Art Deco venue, but have little knowledge of classical music to rank its orchestra in terms of national or international reputation. Public art, either via the excellent galleries (Walker, Tate, VGM) and museums, or the number of free events is a strength which of course the European Capital of Culture largely reinforced. With the exception of the WNO, there is far more on in Liverpool than Cardiff, despite the 'capital' status it enjoys. Indeed Cardiff has always been relatively poor for theatre.

That is not to say there are not many social issues in parts of Liverpool-there clearly are, just as there are in many parts of South Wales. It is an interesting city, more distinctive in character than many which are considered as 'lovely places' but increasingly full of identikit shops, bars and restaurants. The independent spirit is something that is strong here-good and bad, but at least interesting
A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:01 - Jan 5 with 1491 viewslondonlisa2001

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:36 - Jan 5 by Professor

I would say it has more of a theatre tradition, obviously not comparable with London but nowhere else in the UK is, through the Everyman and Playhouse. The Philharmonic is lovely Art Deco venue, but have little knowledge of classical music to rank its orchestra in terms of national or international reputation. Public art, either via the excellent galleries (Walker, Tate, VGM) and museums, or the number of free events is a strength which of course the European Capital of Culture largely reinforced. With the exception of the WNO, there is far more on in Liverpool than Cardiff, despite the 'capital' status it enjoys. Indeed Cardiff has always been relatively poor for theatre.

That is not to say there are not many social issues in parts of Liverpool-there clearly are, just as there are in many parts of South Wales. It is an interesting city, more distinctive in character than many which are considered as 'lovely places' but increasingly full of identikit shops, bars and restaurants. The independent spirit is something that is strong here-good and bad, but at least interesting

The orchestra's fine, but as I say, second or third tier (probably third if you rank LSO, BBCSO, RPO, Philharmonia etc as first tier in UK and Halle, CBSO, NOW etc as second).

Disagree about the 'more on' to be honest. Just on the theatre front, there's now the rather excellent National Theatre of Wales which is very recent, but has a particularly strong reputation. There's obviously the Millenium Centre, the Sherman, The New. WNO as you mention. Music Theatre Wales. The NOW as I've mentioned above.

Swansea has a strong arts scene as well, it's particularly strong for example in modern dance (the Taliesin is an excellent venue). But also groups such as Swansea City Opera which have a very good reputation. Plus the Dylan Thomas, as well as the stuff like Swansea Festival etc. The newly reopened Glyn Vivian is really good as well.

Anyway, the comment that was stupid was that Liverpool is preeminent in classical music. which, as I say, is a complete nonsense.
A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:04 - Jan 5 with 1486 viewsDarran

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 16:23 - Jan 5 by londonlisa2001

At times?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:41 - Jan 5 with 1470 viewswhoflungdung

Well ,depends whom you talk too Lisa.
Some would opine your views on Swansea culture is as you described

You ve an arrogant, snider streak which does you no favours are nowhere near as smart as you might think .
None of us are

Try posting with some humility and respect for diverse opinions

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:46 - Jan 5 with 1466 viewsDarran

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:41 - Jan 5 by whoflungdung

You ve an arrogant, snider streak which does you no favours are nowhere near as smart as you might think .
None of us are

What a prick.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 17:51 - Jan 5 with 1462 viewslondonlisa2001

None of us are

There is no one in the world you could talk to that would think that the RLPO is preeminent in the UK.

There is no one in the world that you could talk to that would think it's preeminent in the North West of England even, given the Halle is based in Manchester.
A House Through Time BBC 2 on 18:32 - Jan 5 with 1446 viewsBanosswan

None of us are

I am, that's why I dumb myself down with alcohol.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 19:48 - Jan 5 with 1407 viewstrampie

Liverpool is celebrated in song by football fans from all over with 'they look in a dustbin', a bit dated now but makes most top 10 of footie songs.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 20:08 - Jan 5 with 1391 viewstrampie

The song reflects what Liverpool is known for, it's a nod to their history, just like the Brighton song of 'sit down', it's all banter.

I love the sheep chants, Wales fans have embraced it and sing 1-0 to the sheep........ if we take the lead.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 13:44 - Jan 6 with 1361 viewstrampie

None of us are

Oh dear, dear me.
I've just read the middle paragraph.
Not nice.

A House Through Time BBC 2 on 20:47 - Jan 11 with 1271 viewsperchrockjack

Second in the series coming up soon.

How the poor were treated by the wealthy is pretty shocking

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024