Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? 15:22 - Feb 28 with 12075 viewswestwalesed

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 17:46 - Mar 1 with 1018 viewslonglostjack

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 13:40 - Mar 1 by Kerouac

No I am not.
Northern Irish UK citizens wouldn't have a new border to cross under my proposals ,
ROI citizens (and other citizens from the EU and the rest of the World) would

Bonkers

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 17:48 - Mar 1 with 1009 viewsHighjack

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 17:42 - Mar 1 by sherpajacob

How would you tell them apart?

The Irish would be the pissed ones.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:13 - Mar 1 with 995 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 15:58 - Mar 1 by Highjack

Is there a big smugglers market in chlorinated chickens then? Big cash to be made I imagine. Huge demand.

The EU customs checks as they are are far from robust when you consider the thousands of tons of heroin and cocaine that hit our streets from Central America and the Middle East every year.

What a strange riddle.

I was interested to read that it is not the washing of chicken in chlorinated water that is the problem, but rather the lower standards of animal welfare (such as crowded pens, droppings and infection risks) that this practice is intended to compensate for.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I wondered if chlorine is really such an unknown chemical in the UK. It struck me that in my own kitchen we also wash supermarket chicken in chlorinated water - when we run it under the tap. As far as I can work out the 4 parts per million in our tap water is lower than the 20-50 ppm typically found in the chicken wash, but it is perhaps just a matter of degree. Much higher concentrations are routinely used to sterilise babies' bottles. I'm not expert enough to know whether in general there are differences in the chlorine source, but think sodium hypochlorite and calcium hypochlorite are used in both tap water and some washes. I guess the point I'm driving at is that if we are so worried about chlorine then there are risks all around us, from tap water to infant bottle wash solution to the water in the swimming pool, that might concern us.

I accept that high animal welfare standards are the way to go, and that is where the bigger risk with US meat lies At the same time though I've eaten a lot of chicken in the US and Canada and never had a problem. Would the people who are expressing concern on this thread say that KFC is a definite 'no no' if they go on holiday to Florida? If so then Mexico, South Africa and quite a few other non-EU countries will also be KFC-free zones for you.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:43 - Mar 1 with 974 viewsHumpty

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:13 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

I was interested to read that it is not the washing of chicken in chlorinated water that is the problem, but rather the lower standards of animal welfare (such as crowded pens, droppings and infection risks) that this practice is intended to compensate for.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I wondered if chlorine is really such an unknown chemical in the UK. It struck me that in my own kitchen we also wash supermarket chicken in chlorinated water - when we run it under the tap. As far as I can work out the 4 parts per million in our tap water is lower than the 20-50 ppm typically found in the chicken wash, but it is perhaps just a matter of degree. Much higher concentrations are routinely used to sterilise babies' bottles. I'm not expert enough to know whether in general there are differences in the chlorine source, but think sodium hypochlorite and calcium hypochlorite are used in both tap water and some washes. I guess the point I'm driving at is that if we are so worried about chlorine then there are risks all around us, from tap water to infant bottle wash solution to the water in the swimming pool, that might concern us.

I accept that high animal welfare standards are the way to go, and that is where the bigger risk with US meat lies At the same time though I've eaten a lot of chicken in the US and Canada and never had a problem. Would the people who are expressing concern on this thread say that KFC is a definite 'no no' if they go on holiday to Florida? If so then Mexico, South Africa and quite a few other non-EU countries will also be KFC-free zones for you.

UK tapwater has a chlorine content of .5 ppm or less.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/chlorine.pdf
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:46 - Mar 1 with 970 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:43 - Mar 1 by Humpty

UK tapwater has a chlorine content of .5 ppm or less.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/chlorine.pdf

Did you read my post? Duh!

"the 4 parts per million in our tap water".

I may have misread but think I found a source saying 3 ppm

[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 18:47]
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:47 - Mar 1 with 962 viewsHumpty

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:46 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

Did you read my post? Duh!

"the 4 parts per million in our tap water".

I may have misread but think I found a source saying 3 ppm

[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 18:47]

Pardon?
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:50 - Mar 1 with 951 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:47 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Pardon?

I misread your post and re-edited incorrectly. But I will recheck my source. The other thing that i chanced upon is that about 99% of teh average Brit's chlorine intake comes from drinking water.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:53 - Mar 1 with 941 viewsHumpty

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:50 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

I misread your post and re-edited incorrectly. But I will recheck my source. The other thing that i chanced upon is that about 99% of teh average Brit's chlorine intake comes from drinking water.

I've provided you with a source. It's from Defra.

The WHO sets an upper limit of 5 ppm for tapwater but the UK keeps it at .5 ppm.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:55 - Mar 1 with 936 viewsShaky

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:13 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

You are basically right.

Chlorinated chicken poses no health risks per se, but the practice is specifically designed to gloss over shortcomings in food safety in part related to animal welfare further up the production chain.

Did you know that in China it is common practice to bulk boil - typically male - ducklings alive prior to reclaiming the feather and down for various purposes?

Nothing wrong with the feather and down produced in this way whatsoever.

It is purely a question of ethics whether we would be agreeable to adopting such practices in this country freed from burdensome EU red tape. How far are we prepared to stoop in pursuit of profits?

But accepting imports of chlorinated chicken is almost certainly a precondition of entering into any post-Brexit free trade agreement with the US.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:56 - Mar 1 with 933 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:47 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Pardon?

You are correct, I took the figure from the US Water and Health council.

https://waterandhealth.org/safe-drinking-water/drinking-water/chlorine-in-tap-wa

There is still a lot of chlorine around though.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:00 - Mar 1 with 923 viewsHumpty

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:56 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

You are correct, I took the figure from the US Water and Health council.

https://waterandhealth.org/safe-drinking-water/drinking-water/chlorine-in-tap-wa

There is still a lot of chlorine around though.

Thank you.

I'll refrain from adding a Duh! as that would be rude and uncalled for.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:03 - Mar 1 with 916 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:00 - Mar 1 by Humpty

Thank you.

I'll refrain from adding a Duh! as that would be rude and uncalled for.

What you didn't say is whether you've ever had a KFC in the United States.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:05 - Mar 1 with 905 viewsHumpty

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:03 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

No I didn't as that would have been irrelevant.

I haven't BTW.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:08 - Mar 1 with 897 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:03 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

Why is that remotely relevant?

Doing something once or twice isn't equivalent to standard practice.

I'm rather glad that we have significantly higher food standards than the US. And significantly higher standards for animal welfare as well. Aren't you?

As an aside, anyone that routinely eats KFC isn't best placed to talk health, whichever country they live in.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:11 - Mar 1 with 894 viewsShaky

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 18:55 - Mar 1 by Shaky

You are basically right.

Chlorinated chicken poses no health risks per se, but the practice is specifically designed to gloss over shortcomings in food safety in part related to animal welfare further up the production chain.

Did you know that in China it is common practice to bulk boil - typically male - ducklings alive prior to reclaiming the feather and down for various purposes?

Nothing wrong with the feather and down produced in this way whatsoever.

It is purely a question of ethics whether we would be agreeable to adopting such practices in this country freed from burdensome EU red tape. How far are we prepared to stoop in pursuit of profits?

But accepting imports of chlorinated chicken is almost certainly a precondition of entering into any post-Brexit free trade agreement with the US.

. . .On second thoughts poor animal welfare standards can pose significant threats to humans by providing fertile breeding grounds for diseases like Avian flu, prior to the cholorination process.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:14 - Mar 1 with 885 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:05 - Mar 1 by Humpty

No I didn't as that would have been irrelevant.

I haven't BTW.

We won't belabour this discussion too much, but my take was that the difference between 5 ppm and 0.5 ppm in just one example that I provided (and with an uncertainty marker in the sentence at that) did nothing to invalidate my wider argument. I rather thought that your response picked on a detail to deliberately miss the wider point. Many of us use sterilisation products and public swimming pools . There is quite a lot of chlorine in our environment as it is a common disinfectant. As Shaky said the real issue is animal welfare standards not chlorine.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:21 - Mar 1 with 875 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:08 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

Why is that remotely relevant?

Doing something once or twice isn't equivalent to standard practice.

I'm rather glad that we have significantly higher food standards than the US. And significantly higher standards for animal welfare as well. Aren't you?

As an aside, anyone that routinely eats KFC isn't best placed to talk health, whichever country they live in.

I used KFC as a colloquial example, but the real point is that people do eat a great deal of chicken in various forms in North America (and many countries that accept US chicken imports) and don't seem to regard this as a big problem. I have lived for several months at a time in a few stints in both the US and Canada, and eating chicken is not considered a major health risk. Do you have any epidemiological data to suggest that it is?
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:23 - Mar 1 with 868 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:14 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

We won't belabour this discussion too much, but my take was that the difference between 5 ppm and 0.5 ppm in just one example that I provided (and with an uncertainty marker in the sentence at that) did nothing to invalidate my wider argument. I rather thought that your response picked on a detail to deliberately miss the wider point. Many of us use sterilisation products and public swimming pools . There is quite a lot of chlorine in our environment as it is a common disinfectant. As Shaky said the real issue is animal welfare standards not chlorine.

In general, there are many substances where there is a safe limit for consumption and yet it becomes more dangerous above that.

The difference between 5ppm and 50ppm is substantial. Being safe at the lower limit (which is WHO btw, and therefore much higher than we would expect here, as shown by our levels being routinely 10x less than that), doesn't mean it's safe at the higher level.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:29 - Mar 1 with 857 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:21 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

I used KFC as a colloquial example, but the real point is that people do eat a great deal of chicken in various forms in North America (and many countries that accept US chicken imports) and don't seem to regard this as a big problem. I have lived for several months at a time in a few stints in both the US and Canada, and eating chicken is not considered a major health risk. Do you have any epidemiological data to suggest that it is?

I didn't say it was.

I said I was glad we had higher standards of food safety and animal welfare.

I also said that those that routinely eat KFC are not best placed to talk about health.

But it really is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:30 - Mar 1 with 856 viewsNogginthenog

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 17:48 - Mar 1 by Highjack

The Irish would be the pissed ones.

All roi people should be made to carry a shinty stick so we can tell them apart.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:31 - Mar 1 with 853 viewsdeanscfc

The EU have been consistent throughout. The UK have been an absolute joke.

It is going as it was always going to go. Leave politicians simply lied to the public with their 'we will have our cake and eat it' nonsense to gain popularity and power for themselves. At any normal time Boris Johnson would be nowhere near any public position. Unfortunately we don't live in normal times and this mess is going to keep costing billions which should have gone to our NHS until it probably dies an embarrassing death.
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:35 - Mar 1 with 845 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:23 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

In general, there are many substances where there is a safe limit for consumption and yet it becomes more dangerous above that.

The difference between 5ppm and 50ppm is substantial. Being safe at the lower limit (which is WHO btw, and therefore much higher than we would expect here, as shown by our levels being routinely 10x less than that), doesn't mean it's safe at the higher level.

There is also a difference between drinking a liquid and using a liquid as a wash. The sterilisation products for cleaning infants' bottles contain much higher concentrations. Disinfectants I believe often contain about 1%.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 19:51]
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:40 - Mar 1 with 838 viewsexiledclaseboy

There’s some classic obfuscation happening this last few pages.

Poll: Tory leader

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:52 - Mar 1 with 813 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:35 - Mar 1 by AnotherJohn

There is also a difference between drinking a liquid and using a liquid as a wash. The sterilisation products for cleaning infants' bottles contain much higher concentrations. Disinfectants I believe often contain about 1%.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 19:51]

5 mg / l is the same as 5 ppm.

Edit: lol at your edit. Oops :-)

As we were,
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 20:00]
Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 20:12 - Mar 1 with 782 viewsAnotherJohn

Is the EU trying to give the UK an agreement they can't accept? on 19:52 - Mar 1 by londonlisa2001

5 mg / l is the same as 5 ppm.

Edit: lol at your edit. Oops :-)

As we were,
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 20:00]

Yes, I scrubbed my swimming pool example before I saw your post,, I must admit that you held your end up well. I still think though that the point about the concentration of disinfectants is valid. Water mains for example are cleaned out with high concentrations of chlorine.

In any event the animal welfare angle is the main point.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 20:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024