Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games 00:11 - May 23 with 4623 viewsComeonyouSwans

A look at the average team shape of Graham Potter's last 3 games at Ostersunds, and how he changed the shape with substitutions.

3 different formations used in each including 4-4-2 and an attacking 3-4-3 (below).

https://swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/tactics-average-positions-of-potters-last-3-
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 01:08 - May 23 with 4545 viewsTheResurrection

It's impossible to take too much from average positions without seeing or getting a feel for the game apart from, in my opinion, these positions would get slaughtered in the EPL.

You can also probably see the lack of quality in that league from those maps.

I'm a bit worried they play on a plastic pitch as well. How much of that league play on them?

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 05:45 - May 23 with 4415 viewslonglostjack

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 01:08 - May 23 by TheResurrection

It's impossible to take too much from average positions without seeing or getting a feel for the game apart from, in my opinion, these positions would get slaughtered in the EPL.

I'm a bit worried they play on a plastic pitch as well. How much of that league play on them?

Just over 50% of games in that league are played on them apparently.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 07:41 - May 23 with 4188 viewsComeonyouSwans

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 01:08 - May 23 by TheResurrection

It's about team shape, balance etc so not really about getting a feel for the game as such but how he sets up his team's, and general tactics and formations used. You can see how attacking or defensive the team is by how high up their Positions are. I've only noticed them to give a false representation when players swap sides, otherwise they're accurate judging from ours last season.

And obviously we're not in the Premier League now so that point doesn't matter. Potter appears to be clever enough to tactically decide what's best for different situations.
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 08:01 - May 23 with 4123 viewspremierjack

You have contradicted yourself in that first paragraph, not sure how you think that “these positions would get slaughtered in the EPL” if you haven’t got a “feel for the game” as you put it.
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 10:34 - May 23 with 3802 viewsTheResurrection

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 07:41 - May 23 by ComeonyouSwans

It's about team shape, balance etc so not really about getting a feel for the game as such but how he sets up his team's, and general tactics and formations used. You can see how attacking or defensive the team is by how high up their Positions are. I've only noticed them to give a false representation when players swap sides, otherwise they're accurate judging from ours last season.

And obviously we're not in the Premier League now so that point doesn't matter. Potter appears to be clever enough to tactically decide what's best for different situations.

What, no, they just show how chaotic that league can be, also.

Playing a high line when chasing a game for 80 minutes isn't going to tell you much about how he'll approach going to Stoke away.

You could hardly pick out any shape from those maps, and whilst that's OK here and there when playing with a bit more freedom, you just can't get away with being too reckless too often.

Plastic football against gentle, casual opposition won't teach you much.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 10:38 - May 23 with 3780 viewsTheResurrection

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 08:01 - May 23 by premierjack

You have contradicted yourself in that first paragraph, not sure how you think that “these positions would get slaughtered in the EPL” if you haven’t got a “feel for the game” as you put it.

Hence why I said impossible to take 'too' much.

And you won't find any team in the EPL outside of the top 6 playing as high a back line as those maps.

The feel for the game was quite simple. They were chasing games in those examples and the one team were defending a 2 goal lead. Damage was done, average positions went out the window.

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 10:51 - May 23 with 3733 viewsswancity

In isolation this information is completely useless

If that team are doing well in their league and therefore dominating most games against poor opposition you can expect to see players in advanced positions. For example full backs would be advanced whether that was a game plan or philosophy or not as they would have more freedom to advance. It's a waste of time in isolation..

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:06 - May 23 with 3687 viewsComeonyouSwans

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 10:51 - May 23 by swancity

In isolation this information is completely useless

If that team are doing well in their league and therefore dominating most games against poor opposition you can expect to see players in advanced positions. For example full backs would be advanced whether that was a game plan or philosophy or not as they would have more freedom to advance. It's a waste of time in isolation..

They're not doing well though really, down in 11th out of 16 and playing a couple of sides much higher in the table.
Login to get fewer ads

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:13 - May 23 with 3657 viewsswancity

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:06 - May 23 by ComeonyouSwans

They're not doing well though really, down in 11th out of 16 and playing a couple of sides much higher in the table.

Even more of an irrelevance then

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:52 - May 23 with 3582 viewsComeonyouSwans

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:13 - May 23 by swancity

Even more of an irrelevance then

But I thought your point was that they were playing high up because they were doing well and could afford to? It's good to see him adopting the same positive tactics despite them struggling.
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 12:03 - May 23 with 3540 viewsswancity

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:52 - May 23 by ComeonyouSwans

But I thought your point was that they were playing high up because they were doing well and could afford to? It's good to see him adopting the same positive tactics despite them struggling.

As I said it's an irrelevance to look at these things in isolation and no it's not good to see him persisting with tactics that might not be working by the sound of it. Simply a waste of time. As are any stats used in isolation without consideration of the wider picture.

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 12:27 - May 23 with 3472 viewsTheResurrection

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:52 - May 23 by ComeonyouSwans

But they were losing by 2 in one of your examples.

What would you expect them to do then, sit back?

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 12:35 - May 23 with 3437 viewsHighjack

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 11:06 - May 23 by ComeonyouSwans

They are doing well though, they are a tiny club fresh up from the bottom tier. He's got them from the bottom tier into Europe beating teams like Galatasaray and Arsenal and people say they aren't doing well?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 13:12 - May 23 with 3327 viewsComeonyouSwans

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 12:35 - May 23 by Highjack

They are doing well though, they are a tiny club fresh up from the bottom tier. He's got them from the bottom tier into Europe beating teams like Galatasaray and Arsenal and people say they aren't doing well?

Ah I was thinking short term, 9 games so far this season, but yes in wider terms they're definitely doing well, 5th place and in Europa League last season.
Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 13:17 - May 23 with 3296 viewsComeonyouSwans

Potter's Average Team Shape / Formations In Last 3 Games on 12:27 - May 23 by TheResurrection

But they were losing by 2 in one of your examples.

What would you expect them to do then, sit back?

If you're 2-0 down you could be struggling, getting dominated by a better side and pinned back, but in that game Ostersunds completely dominated the 2nd half and recovered well, but couldn't find the net, as explained in the article. That was what the average positions was trying to show, even if it is a small example. I could have gone on and on looking at a lot more but it was mainly to show fans what formations he's using lately, if he uses wingers etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024