Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats 15:59 - Jun 13 with 3934 viewsLohengrin

Quick question for you, though if you don’t feel qualified to attempt an answer please don’t feel under any obligation: W. B Yeats. How is he regarded in the Ireland of 2018? Is he still widely read and taught/studied?

I’ve been dipping in and out of his writings quite a bit of late and I was just curious as to his current standing in his homeland?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:22 - Jun 28 with 488 viewsDafyddHuw

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:41 - Jun 28 by Lohengrin

No apologies required, we check in when time allows.

Where to start? The Second Coming was hailed as an inspiration by seminal figures as stylistically and politically diverse as Eliot and Orwell, Pound and Hemingway, Jones and Auden, just off the top of my head. There’s good a reason for that: every stanza is perfectly formed, every word essential, irreplaceable. Although it was written in 1919 in revulsion at the communist revolution it simply does not age. Each succeeding generation has been able to discover it and see it in the light of events that concern them. It speaks to and for those seeking a voice. When I first encountered it as a young boy I was mesmerised with it. Obsessed, really.

I was reading an article in The Paris Review recently, I’ll dig it out for you if you want, that attempted to tip the iceberg of books, songs, news headlines etc.. that contain either quotation or direct allegory and it’s voluminous. No other poem comes anywhere close. It cast a shadow on publication that continues to lengthen almost a century later.

Your turn...

Fair dos Loh, that was well impressive. Kudos.

i can't top that.
I submit.

Btw, anyone out there who likes Dr. John Cooper Clarke, then give Luke Wright a go. Difficult as it is for me to admit, he's younger, prettier and more pithy.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:34 - Jun 28 with 474 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:22 - Jun 28 by DafyddHuw

Fair dos Loh, that was well impressive. Kudos.

i can't top that.
I submit.

Btw, anyone out there who likes Dr. John Cooper Clarke, then give Luke Wright a go. Difficult as it is for me to admit, he's younger, prettier and more pithy.

That’s very gracious of you but it wasn’t really a competition.

I wasn’t knocking Clarke, either. I watched a BBC 4 programme featuring him a year or so back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:58 - Jun 28 with 455 viewsexiledclaseboy

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 20:10 - Jun 28 by Kilkennyjack

Tell us more fella ....

God bless the rebels of Easter 1916 ..... ☘️ 🙏🏿

It was really only a whistle stop visit, an hour long guided tour amd a quick stop off in the museum. We were only in Dublin for two full days so there wasn’t much time for anything more. I’ll be going back at some point though, I could literally have spent hours in the museum alone. A genuine must visit for anyone with an interest in the history of Ireland (and the U.K.).

Poll: Tory leader

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 08:36 - Jun 29 with 408 viewsmoonie

So,1916. What were our cousins doing then in Oconnell St

Funny really, killing Welsh British soldiers seen as worthy of praise on here .Shows just how warped some are .

Me ol grandad got wiped out whilst our Celtic chums were fighting on another front ...the British front.

Shameful
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 15:07 - Jun 29 with 355 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:58 - Jun 28 by exiledclaseboy

It was really only a whistle stop visit, an hour long guided tour amd a quick stop off in the museum. We were only in Dublin for two full days so there wasn’t much time for anything more. I’ll be going back at some point though, I could literally have spent hours in the museum alone. A genuine must visit for anyone with an interest in the history of Ireland (and the U.K.).

Whistle-stop or not, I bet you and your lady wife barely had tuppence to rub together by the time you landed back in Cardiff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024