Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any army experts on here? 18:27 - Nov 11 with 3828 viewsDarran

I’m trying to find out what uniform this is,it’s the French Army.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Any army experts on here? on 17:59 - Nov 15 with 556 viewsTreforys_Jack

Any army experts on here? on 20:04 - Nov 14 by Jonathans_coat

Tracing anyone’s service in the wars is always difficult, unless they were a commissioned officer. I’m in slow process of doing mine and my wife’s family trees for my son. And it turns out there’s at least three members of the ww2 parachute regiment in there, all different battalions. What comes across in every family story however is how none of them ever spoke in any detail about their war service, if at all. Guess just too traumatic to relive. Awful that so many young men had to go through it.

I've done the same thing, found quite a few who served in the great war, it's interesting to get their service history and then download the regiments diary from the national archives, you can then trace their day by day actions, thankfully from 100 years distance. Also found my Grandfather who was from London served with 958 squadron which manned the barrage balloons over swansea during WW2 , their diary is especially interesting as all the places are familiar.
Any army experts on here? on 18:18 - Nov 15 with 550 viewstheloneranger

Any army experts on here? on 17:59 - Nov 15 by Treforys_Jack

I've done the same thing, found quite a few who served in the great war, it's interesting to get their service history and then download the regiments diary from the national archives, you can then trace their day by day actions, thankfully from 100 years distance. Also found my Grandfather who was from London served with 958 squadron which manned the barrage balloons over swansea during WW2 , their diary is especially interesting as all the places are familiar.

It's so sad that approximately two thirds of the 6.5 million soldiers' documents for the First World War were destroyed by an incendiary bomb at the War Office in London in 1940.

Luckily a lot of the Guards records are held by their respective Regimental Headquarters.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Any army experts on here? on 18:50 - Nov 15 with 526 viewsTreforys_Jack

Any army experts on here? on 18:18 - Nov 15 by theloneranger

It's so sad that approximately two thirds of the 6.5 million soldiers' documents for the First World War were destroyed by an incendiary bomb at the War Office in London in 1940.

Luckily a lot of the Guards records are held by their respective Regimental Headquarters.

The regiment diaries are available which can give you a broad idea if you know the battalion
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024