Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New cases 15:01 - Jun 29 with 5829 viewscontroversial_jack

97, new cases found in a meat packing plant in Merthyr. What is it with these firms?
New cases on 10:50 - Jun 30 with 1187 viewsBest_loser

Not sure what the point is , picking on small differences between a country of 3 million verses a country of 58 million
New cases on 11:33 - Jun 30 with 1160 viewslondonlisa2001

New cases on 10:40 - Jun 30 by Kilkennyjack

Just on pure logic, then a longer lock down should show better case numbers.

You can only really knock Prof Drakers for unlocking too slow.
But most people in Wales support Drakers in protecting public health.

More numbers for you ....

Using your logic the biggest positive difference between England and Wales should be in June where there has been maximum difference between lockdown measures in place.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ebv3uzPWoAUtzzo?format=jpg&name=large
New cases on 11:52 - Jun 30 with 1140 viewsScotia

New cases on 10:49 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

The single fact that does back it up is that there are a third more deaths in the UK generally than Wales but then you dont really care about that. It is the absolutely most important stat of them all. Fewer people have died in Wales. If the Welsh rate of death had been the same elsewhere there would have been 12000 few death in the UK and the BAME population AS Lisa put it is 10% higher rather than 30% higher.

Wales suffered hugely initially and would have been expected to have had more deaths. A GPs workload in Wales especially in Valley areas is far higher than in England as we have more heart disease etc. My brother in law who is a retired GP has always said this. There is more demand in Clydach or Pontardawe than Killay or Sketty.

The fact that the valley areas suffered so highly initially as Professor has rightly said just adds to the case that the improvement in Wales is far greater. Another fact you choose to ignore so you can blame the WAG and Drakeford.

Just so there can be no confusion I list the daily cases for Swansea for the whole of June

June 1 2
June 2 0
June 3 0
June 4 1
June 5 2
June 6 1
June 7 0
June 8 0
June 9 2
June 10 0
June 11 3
June 12 2
June 13 0
June 14 1
June 15 1
June 16 0
June 17 0
June 18 0
June 19 0
June 20 0
June 21 0
June 22 0
June 23 0
June 24 0
June 25 1
June 26 0
June 27 0
June 28 1
June 29 0

This is the local city so I have used these figures. As can be seen the virus has almost been defeated and the figures for many others arent much higher. i for one and very grateful to see such low amounts and I am prepared to give credit to Drakeford, Gething and Co for helping achieve this and keeping me, my family and others safe whilst all you do is try to make the figures look bad.

I realise these are Pillar 1 figures but in all honesty Pillar 2 will make very little difference to the end result and most of them will be in North Wales anyway where Alderley Park in Cheshire will be used to speed up the result time instead of the extra time sending the tests to Cardiff.

The reality is that the path in England has been slower than in Wales and the recent Welsh figures are greatly affected by 3 factories. The rest of Wales is very close to being clear of this pandemic largely due to the stay local rule. There have been times when places like Cardiff and RCT have had higher figures and this has prevented the spread from those areas here. 3 out of of 100 is 3% whereas out of 5500 is 0.05 so 3 factories in England doesnt affect the figures to the extent it does in Wales. The figures from the factories will be temporary unless there is spread elsewhere. Once all are tested they wont be recorded again

For the umpteenth time - deaths are tragic but they do not tell anywhere near the entire story. Wales has nowhere near the density of urban population or BAME population as other areas, for example how many bus drivers have died in London compared to Wales? Also you can't really control who lives or dies only who contracts the virus.

Like it or not we are catching up on the death front, we haven't had a single day with zero Covid deaths, both N Ireland and Scotland have had several - in fact Scotland is on for 4 days in a row of zero covid deaths. N Ireland has even had days where no new infections have been recorded.

There has been great improvement in the number of infections but there have been elsewhere too, Scotland and N Ireland for one also - per capita - London too. They also have more freedom.

It is not just the factories though is it - very recently it would seem to be the case but there have been pockets of infection in the North for some time. In fact it would be interesting to see equilvalent figures (including P2, becasue others do) for say, Denbighshire, Londonderry, Aberdeen and Plymouth?

As someone who lives in Swansea those figures are encouraging - so why can't I support my local pub by having some food and a couple of beers in their beer garden this weekend. I could if I lived in Plymouth, Londonderry or Aberdeen?

I'll give Drakeford credit where it is due, he has done a better job than Trump - but not as good as Arlene Foster or Nicola Sturgeon. Based on the stats and advice he has been given arguably not as good a job as Boris either.
New cases on 12:09 - Jun 30 with 1129 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 11:52 - Jun 30 by Scotia

For the umpteenth time - deaths are tragic but they do not tell anywhere near the entire story. Wales has nowhere near the density of urban population or BAME population as other areas, for example how many bus drivers have died in London compared to Wales? Also you can't really control who lives or dies only who contracts the virus.

Like it or not we are catching up on the death front, we haven't had a single day with zero Covid deaths, both N Ireland and Scotland have had several - in fact Scotland is on for 4 days in a row of zero covid deaths. N Ireland has even had days where no new infections have been recorded.

There has been great improvement in the number of infections but there have been elsewhere too, Scotland and N Ireland for one also - per capita - London too. They also have more freedom.

It is not just the factories though is it - very recently it would seem to be the case but there have been pockets of infection in the North for some time. In fact it would be interesting to see equilvalent figures (including P2, becasue others do) for say, Denbighshire, Londonderry, Aberdeen and Plymouth?

As someone who lives in Swansea those figures are encouraging - so why can't I support my local pub by having some food and a couple of beers in their beer garden this weekend. I could if I lived in Plymouth, Londonderry or Aberdeen?

I'll give Drakeford credit where it is due, he has done a better job than Trump - but not as good as Arlene Foster or Nicola Sturgeon. Based on the stats and advice he has been given arguably not as good a job as Boris either.

Well there is a hell of a lot of catching up to do. Over 12000 more at the moment. Even if our figures go up nearly 200 and we end up with 1700 and the Uk doesnt have anymore it will still be 10000 more and neither of the above scenarios are likely.

I have taken this from Wales Online

Ten local authorities reported no new Covid-19 cases on Monday, including Blaenau Gwent, Newport, Torfaen, Conwy, Flintshire, Vale of Glamorgan, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Neath Port Talbot and Swansea.

In addition there were 11 local authorities with 1 or 2 cases. Huge figures all of them. 100 of the 115 cases in 1 authority and that is the one you focus on. Bonkers you are just totally negative. Not even 1 case per local authority or just over if you add in Pillar 2.

This is Scotland's rule on staying local. Not much different to ours

While you are allowed to travel for exercise and leisure purposes, the advice is still encouraging people to use spaces closest to their home and not to travel more than five miles for these purposes.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 12:27]
New cases on 12:31 - Jun 30 with 1103 viewsHighjack

New cases on 23:55 - Jun 29 by Lohengrin

I’ve been taking part in a mass gathering sixty hours a week every week since this whole thing started, Prof. There are thousands of us in the works under conditions which, despite attempts at social distancing, on the face of it seem especially propitious for the rapid spread of any virus - yet nothing of the sort has happened.

Any theories or do you just chalk it up to luck?

It’s mad isn’t it? You’d think there would have been big spikes in those sorts of workplaces, factories, supermarkets, but there hasn’t really been anything of note, not reported anyway.

Yet these meat factories keep popping up as hotspots. There must be some sort of link there.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

New cases on 13:23 - Jun 30 with 1081 viewsScotia

New cases on 12:09 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

Well there is a hell of a lot of catching up to do. Over 12000 more at the moment. Even if our figures go up nearly 200 and we end up with 1700 and the Uk doesnt have anymore it will still be 10000 more and neither of the above scenarios are likely.

Ten local authorities reported no new Covid-19 cases on Monday, including Blaenau Gwent, Newport, Torfaen, Conwy, Flintshire, Vale of Glamorgan, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Neath Port Talbot and Swansea.

In addition there were 11 local authorities with 1 or 2 cases. Huge figures all of them. 100 of the 115 cases in 1 authority and that is the one you focus on. Bonkers you are just totally negative. Not even 1 case per local authority or just over if you add in Pillar 2.

While you are allowed to travel for exercise and leisure purposes, the advice is still encouraging people to use spaces closest to their home and not to travel more than five miles for these purposes.

I'm not being totally negative - they are the stats. I wish they weren't. You can't ignore pillar 2 positive tests, they are positive cases and other areas include them so to compare like for like they have to be included. Scotland had 5 cases yesterday we had 32 if you discount the factory outbreak but include Pillar 2. That is in a population almost twice the size of Wales with a lot of those living in an area between Edinburgh and Glasgow. If you consider all cases we had over 20 times more infections.

I realise Scotland has a 5 mile restriction, but things are open within those 5 miles such as playgrounds and zoos and there is no restiction on how far people can travel to meet family so it really is quite different.

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic Drakeford has not delivered as well as the other administrations.
New cases on 14:28 - Jun 30 with 1057 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 13:23 - Jun 30 by Scotia

I'm not being totally negative - they are the stats. I wish they weren't. You can't ignore pillar 2 positive tests, they are positive cases and other areas include them so to compare like for like they have to be included. Scotland had 5 cases yesterday we had 32 if you discount the factory outbreak but include Pillar 2. That is in a population almost twice the size of Wales with a lot of those living in an area between Edinburgh and Glasgow. If you consider all cases we had over 20 times more infections.

I realise Scotland has a 5 mile restriction, but things are open within those 5 miles such as playgrounds and zoos and there is no restiction on how far people can travel to meet family so it really is quite different.

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic Drakeford has not delivered as well as the other administrations.

But to counteract this Scotland has enforced face masks which Wales hasnt done. Wales opened its shops a week before Scotland and its schools 6 or 7 weeks before Scotland so in some ways Scotland is behind Wales. Wales will review its policy next week and possibly go further than Scotland. Wales is almost certainly going to open tourism, hairdressers and beauty salons, pubs, restaurants and cafes although possibly outdoors and maybe other things but they might be spread over a couple of weeks. The right to move around freely will have happened in Wales before Scotland. This is all part of devolution and different areas of the UK will do things at slightly different times partly due to review dates.

Basically the Scotland and Wales authorities largely do things around the same way. It is England that is doing things on the hoof largely due to pressure.

Your comment about people not being to be allowed to visit family is untrue. That was made clear at the last review and now 2 households can stay in each others forming an extended bubble.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 15:12]
New cases on 15:34 - Jun 30 with 1023 viewsKilkennyjack

New cases on 11:52 - Jun 30 by Scotia

Its Johnson, not Boris. He is not your mate.

No such place as Londonderry, its Derry to the people who live there.

No need to thank me.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

New cases on 16:55 - Jun 30 with 997 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 12:09 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

Catching up on the death rate. Well today Wales has 3 and the UK 155. The Welsh equivalents is 62. The UK death rate today is 2 and a half times the Welsh rate. Catching up?
New cases on 17:06 - Jun 30 with 991 viewsraynor94

New cases on 16:55 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

Catching up on the death rate. Well today Wales has 3 and the UK 155. The Welsh equivalents is 62. The UK death rate today is 2 and a half times the Welsh rate. Catching up?

What a bundle of joy you are, nit picking and point scoring about deaths in this Country.

Do us all a favour, and take a break.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

New cases on 17:07 - Jun 30 with 990 viewsProfessor

New cases on 16:55 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

I don't live in Wales but my comments would be:

1. NI has done well, though partly through being pragmatic and followed the early and strict ROI lockdown.
2. Wales has done a reasonably good job. Perhaps the lack of clarity of ending lockdown is frustrating, but the stricter and longer lockdown is paying off despite my fellow valleys people behaving like idiots early on
3. Scotland has done no better, and from Lisa's figures a bit worse than Wales. Nicola Sturgeon is a much better communicator than Drakeford so looks better and is perceived to have done a better job.
4. The approach in England was too late. Messages have been poor and the ending of lockdown a bit rushed,

If I were judging I would give NI 8/10, Wales 7/10, Scotland 6.5/10, England 5/10
New cases on 17:55 - Jun 30 with 975 viewsKilkennyjack

New cases on 17:06 - Jun 30 by raynor94

What a bundle of joy you are, nit picking and point scoring about deaths in this Country.

Do us all a favour, and take a break.

Close down debate....?
Bury head in sand...?

Facts don't mean you want that outcome, its just a fact.
Deal with it.

Well done professor Drakeford, looking after the people who live in wales 24*7.

Oh yes - and feck you Johnson, cymru rydd 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

New cases on 18:06 - Jun 30 with 970 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 17:07 - Jun 30 by Professor

1. NI has done well, though partly through being pragmatic and followed the early and strict ROI lockdown.
2. Wales has done a reasonably good job. Perhaps the lack of clarity of ending lockdown is frustrating, but the stricter and longer lockdown is paying off despite my fellow valleys people behaving like idiots early on
3. Scotland has done no better, and from Lisa's figures a bit worse than Wales. Nicola Sturgeon is a much better communicator than Drakeford so looks better and is perceived to have done a better job.
4. The approach in England was too late. Messages have been poor and the ending of lockdown a bit rushed,

If I were judging I would give NI 8/10, Wales 7/10, Scotland 6.5/10, England 5/10

Good post. Totally agree with it. Big difference between England and the others. The other 3 work together. Johnson and co make so many decisions on the hoof.
Lockdown done too late.
Education policy totally messed up.
Removal of lockdown measures too early.
Inconsistency and retracted policies happened on many occasions eg not having air bridges then capitulating. Not reducing 2 metre rule then bringing in 1 metre plus, facemasks of no benefit then bringing them in as compulsory .
Not taking action when Cummings broke the rules.
New cases on 18:09 - Jun 30 with 967 viewsScotia

New cases on 17:07 - Jun 30 by Professor

Where I score Mark Drakeford down is his communication and the perception of him as a leader. At times like this a country needs someone like Nichola Sturgeon to take the country with them. Drakeford is a bit of a wet weekend.

The traffic light route out of lock down he published is incredibly vague - I read it again today and I have no idea what colour traffic light we are on at the moment. Or the criteria to move to the next colour. Scotlands is far better.

The other major issue is that, I believe, the only administration to introduce legislation to ensure social distancing in the workplace is the WG. It has been an absolute disaster as the meat processing plants show.
New cases on 18:16 - Jun 30 with 964 viewsScotia

New cases on 18:06 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

Good post. Totally agree with it. Big difference between England and the others. The other 3 work together. Johnson and co make so many decisions on the hoof.
Lockdown done too late.
Education policy totally messed up.
Removal of lockdown measures too early.
Inconsistency and retracted policies happened on many occasions eg not having air bridges then capitulating. Not reducing 2 metre rule then bringing in 1 metre plus, facemasks of no benefit then bringing them in as compulsory .
Not taking action when Cummings broke the rules.

Yet cases in England keep on falling.
New cases on 18:44 - Jun 30 with 959 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 18:16 - Jun 30 by Scotia

Yet cases in England keep on falling.

As they do in Wales. Today there were 26 new cases of which 8 were in Merthyr Tydfil and 5 in Wrexham where the outbreaks are. 13 across the rest of Wales with 12 local authorities not having any including Swansea and Neath Port Talbot. Before you go on about Pillar 2 here are the full facts. Of the 21 only 12 were samples yresterday 6 relate to the previous day 2 to 27/6 and 1 to 25/6 so today in Wales we had 13 and possibly 12 more cases ie 25 cases outside the outbreak factories although it is probably lower than that. I was actually expecting the figures to rise due to the outbreaks but they are far smaller than the previous 2 Tuesdays of 98 and 45 and none of these include Pillar 2 figures either. The 22/6 had 22 Pillar 2 cases and 15/6 17 so those have come down as well. I think 98 to 46 to 26 is an improvement but no doubt your negativity wont see that. Basically down by almost 1/2 over 2 weeks.
New cases on 19:43 - Jun 30 with 950 viewsexhmrc1

The truth regarding the figures has now been revealed. Over to you Scotia
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-wrexham-cases-spike-nort
New cases on 20:27 - Jun 30 with 927 viewsKilkennyjack

New cases on 19:43 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

The truth regarding the figures has now been revealed. Over to you Scotia
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-wrexham-cases-spike-nort

Extract below ....

Yet an investigation by the Financial Times has revealed this is largely because England has been publishing the wrong data.

Its reporters have shown that the figures being published for the English council areas "contain only a fraction of the real total in those areas".

Who would have thought ? 🤷‍♂️

New cases on 20:37 - Jun 30 with 915 viewslondonlisa2001

New cases on 20:27 - Jun 30 by Kilkennyjack

Extract below ....

Yet an investigation by the Financial Times has revealed this is largely because England has been publishing the wrong data.

Its reporters have shown that the figures being published for the English council areas "contain only a fraction of the real total in those areas".

Who would have thought ? 🤷‍♂️

Scotia and I were talking about that the other day though. It’s not new.

Pillar 2 isn’t reported by council in Wales either. England and Wales are reporting in the same way.
New cases on 21:04 - Jun 30 with 884 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 20:37 - Jun 30 by londonlisa2001

Scotia and I were talking about that the other day though. It’s not new.

Pillar 2 isn’t reported by council in Wales either. England and Wales are reporting in the same way.

So basically Lisa the figures that are shown for each area in Wales are comparable to England ie 26 cases today 26X66.4/3.2 539 and is lower than the UK figure and has nearly every day. Going back to the 6/6 we had 42/40/42/42/38 and the equivalent figures for UK would have been 871, 830, 871, 871 and 788 and these have been below the UK fIgures. It now makes sense that the lower Welsh figures have actually produced fewer deaths rather than 12000 higher or a 3rd higher which never made any sense. Those figures you produced for London. Are they actually true or have they been misrepresented as well as Leicester's.
New cases on 21:15 - Jun 30 with 873 viewslondonlisa2001

New cases on 21:04 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

So basically Lisa the figures that are shown for each area in Wales are comparable to England ie 26 cases today 26X66.4/3.2 539 and is lower than the UK figure and has nearly every day. Going back to the 6/6 we had 42/40/42/42/38 and the equivalent figures for UK would have been 871, 830, 871, 871 and 788 and these have been below the UK fIgures. It now makes sense that the lower Welsh figures have actually produced fewer deaths rather than 12000 higher or a 3rd higher which never made any sense. Those figures you produced for London. Are they actually true or have they been misrepresented as well as Leicester's.

Wales reported today 26 cases.

UK reported 689. Both include pillar 1 and pillar 2 (I think Wales does anyway).

When I have compared Hammersmith with Swansea both are only pillar 1 (neither England nor Wales splits by local authority).

Wales extrapolated to the UK should result in 572. So is less than England (using your logic is strip out Leicester, but that’s part of England, so I won’t).

The Wales online article is disingenuous as the numbers it compares are consistent. Unless you believe that the ratio of infected to hospitalised is different between countries, which it may be, but I’d it was it’s unlikely to be in England’s favour,
New cases on 21:36 - Jun 30 with 852 viewsexhmrc1

New cases on 21:15 - Jun 30 by londonlisa2001

UK reported 689. Both include pillar 1 and pillar 2 (I think Wales does anyway).

When I have compared Hammersmith with Swansea both are only pillar 1 (neither England nor Wales splits by local authority).

Wales extrapolated to the UK should result in 572. So is less than England (using your logic is strip out Leicester, but that’s part of England, so I won’t).

The Wales online article is disingenuous as the numbers it compares are consistent. Unless you believe that the ratio of infected to hospitalised is different between countries, which it may be, but I’d it was it’s unlikely to be in England’s favour,

The financial times is suggesting that the Welsh council figures include Pillar 2. It seems to back backed up by the Public Health Wales site which shows 26 new cases 6 in Hospital setting and 20 in other. The test from non wales labs shows 21 so there is a 1 case overlap possibly due to timing as they show different times.
https://t.co/zpWRYSUbfh?amp=1
New cases on 21:41 - Jun 30 with 846 viewslondonlisa2001

New cases on 21:36 - Jun 30 by exhmrc1

The financial times is suggesting that the Welsh council figures include Pillar 2. It seems to back backed up by the Public Health Wales site which shows 26 new cases 6 in Hospital setting and 20 in other. The test from non wales labs shows 21 so there is a 1 case overlap possibly due to timing as they show different times.

The Wales total includes pillar 2. As does the UK total. And the English total is one less the other (that allocates NI and Scotland figs to England, but their cases are so low it’s a bit irrelevant).

The UK pillar 1 today is 226
The UK pillar 2 today is 463.

It’s only when you take both they get the total reported.

The whole thing is broken down in the DHSC website every day.

The cumulative numbers per local authority is not including pillar 2. In either country. As earlier on they couldn’t split them.
New cases on 22:18 - Jun 30 with 827 viewsKilkennyjack

New cases on 21:15 - Jun 30 by londonlisa2001

🤷‍♂️

New cases on 23:04 - Jun 30 with 802 viewslondonlisa2001

New cases on 22:18 - Jun 30 by Kilkennyjack

🤷‍♂️

That’s exactly what I said. And have been saying,

This is not news.

The pillar 2 numbers are in the UK totals that I have been quoting. It’s split on the DHSC website and has been every day. Scotia and I were talking about it a few days ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024