Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I.T. Question 16:07 - Jul 5 with 3399 viewsymaohyd

Don't know if anyone can help.

Working from home at the moment, struggling to get a decent wifi signal in my back bedroom where i've set up my office, it's generally ok but often freezes when on a meeting via 'Teams'

I've bought a wifi extender, the only device that i can get to connect with it is a Samsung Tablet, my works laptop recognises the extender in available wifi networks in settings but won't connect with it, it's the same for my personal laptop.

So i've connected with the extender via the Samsung tablet and when i plug the extender in my backroom, it's showing that it's connected i.e. wifi light is green, extender light is green and obviously the power button.

My question is, are all devices now connected to the extender (as the light indicates that it is 'extending ' the wifi signal )or is it just connected to the Samsung tablet?

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

I.T. Question on 16:08 - Jul 5 with 3395 viewsHighjack

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

I.T. Question on 16:11 - Jul 5 with 3383 viewsymaohyd

I.T. Question on 16:08 - Jul 5 by Highjack

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That's usually my solution to all technical things, but thank you.

I.T. Question on 16:34 - Jul 5 with 3340 viewsDJack

This article may provide a part of the solution...

https://gizmodo.com/why-your-router-has-two-wifi-channels-and-how-they-work-1828

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

I.T. Question on 16:40 - Jul 5 with 3333 viewsRumjack

I'm afraid what you probably needed was a Powerline rather than a wifi extender.

My experience of wifi extenders is that there can be quite a bit of degradation of signal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad(ish) news.
I.T. Question on 16:52 - Jul 5 with 3306 viewsymaohyd

Thanks for replies

I.T. Question on 17:08 - Jul 5 with 3282 viewsWxmJax

Is the extender in the office room ?
If not, try plugging it in halfway or so between the router and office, it might help improve the signal. I'd also do a download speed check.
I've used powerlines with ethernet connections and they've worked fine provided they're on the same electrical circuit.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

I.T. Question on 23:34 - Jul 6 with 3083 viewsGoldminer

I.T. Question on 17:08 - Jul 5 by WxmJax

Is the extender in the office room ?
If not, try plugging it in halfway or so between the router and office, it might help improve the signal. I'd also do a download speed check.
I've used powerlines with ethernet connections and they've worked fine provided they're on the same electrical circuit.

I've heard really good reports about the mesh system.
I.T. Question on 23:39 - Jul 6 with 3076 viewsItchySphincter

Try turning some of you other devices off - mobiles, Alexas, network printers, smart TV’s etc. Your router may have a limit on simultaneous connections.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 23:40]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

I.T. Question on 15:34 - Jul 7 with 2969 viewslonglostjack

I.T. Question on 23:34 - Jul 6 by Goldminer

I've heard really good reports about the mesh system.

Yes. We had a vectoring problem with the Powerlines (whatever that is) and are now using mesh repeaters. They really are good and we’ve got a very good signal throughout the house. The only problems might occur if you’ve got steel beams in your building.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024