Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genetics 22:57 - Oct 29 with 1118 viewsLohengrin

Meet Ralph Lincoln, a lineal descendant of old Abe...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Genetics on 23:02 - Oct 29 with 1110 viewsKilkennyjack

President Donald Trump said that while President Abraham Lincoln – who freed Blacks from slavery during the Civil War while also saving the Union – did some good, the "end result" is "always questionable."

"I think I've done more for the Black community than any other president, and let's take a pass on Abraham Lincoln," Trump told Fox News' Harris Faulkner, who is Black.

Trump's interview came nearly three weeks after the death of a black man, George Floyd, after a white Minneapolis cop kneeled on his neck for more than eight minutes ignited protests nationwide.

Looks like old Abe is back !!

Beware of the Risen People

Genetics on 10:02 - Oct 30 with 1034 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Genetics on 23:02 - Oct 29 by Kilkennyjack

President Donald Trump said that while President Abraham Lincoln – who freed Blacks from slavery during the Civil War while also saving the Union – did some good, the "end result" is "always questionable."

"I think I've done more for the Black community than any other president, and let's take a pass on Abraham Lincoln," Trump told Fox News' Harris Faulkner, who is Black.

Trump's interview came nearly three weeks after the death of a black man, George Floyd, after a white Minneapolis cop kneeled on his neck for more than eight minutes ignited protests nationwide.

Looks like old Abe is back !!

You might not know abraham Lincoln actually said the blacks were an inferior race to the whites. He was just as racist as most people in the USA at the time. He was more concerned with keeping the USA intact and he certainly did not agree with equal rights for the black population. He just thought freeing them would keep the USA as one country.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Genetics on 10:21 - Oct 30 with 1026 viewsCatullus

Genetics on 10:02 - Oct 30 by felixstowe_jack

You might not know abraham Lincoln actually said the blacks were an inferior race to the whites. He was just as racist as most people in the USA at the time. He was more concerned with keeping the USA intact and he certainly did not agree with equal rights for the black population. He just thought freeing them would keep the USA as one country.

I'd read that. Freeing the slaves was a tactic to destabilise the south, many slaves ran away and of course eventually there were black regiments (have you ever seen "Glory"?) and of course there were people like Harriet Tubman, her story recently made into a film.

Ol Abe only really wanted to enforce the union on all of America, he's not the abolitionist legend many think him to be.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Genetics on 10:30 - Oct 30 with 1018 viewsBoundy

Genetics on 10:21 - Oct 30 by Catullus

I'd read that. Freeing the slaves was a tactic to destabilise the south, many slaves ran away and of course eventually there were black regiments (have you ever seen "Glory"?) and of course there were people like Harriet Tubman, her story recently made into a film.

Ol Abe only really wanted to enforce the union on all of America, he's not the abolitionist legend many think him to be.

But didn't he also say “Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” or "I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Letter to Albert G. Hodges" (April 4, 1864), p. 281.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 10:32]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Genetics on 10:35 - Oct 30 with 1012 viewsDr_Winston

Genetics on 10:30 - Oct 30 by Boundy

But didn't he also say “Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” or "I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Letter to Albert G. Hodges" (April 4, 1864), p. 281.

It's probably possible to be anti something as an institution without being overly sympathetic to the victims of it. No doubt blacks (or non-whites in general) were still seen as inferior, even if not deserving of slavery.

Then again slavery as a concept has been around for tens of thousands of years and still exists in forms today. It's deeply grained in human nature for some poor bastard to be under the thumb somewhere.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Genetics on 11:01 - Oct 30 with 1003 viewsCatullus

Genetics on 10:35 - Oct 30 by Dr_Winston

It's probably possible to be anti something as an institution without being overly sympathetic to the victims of it. No doubt blacks (or non-whites in general) were still seen as inferior, even if not deserving of slavery.

Then again slavery as a concept has been around for tens of thousands of years and still exists in forms today. It's deeply grained in human nature for some poor bastard to be under the thumb somewhere.

It's also possible Lincoln was only saying what was politically expedient at the time. After all if the slaves had thought they were only pawns in a game would they have flocked to Lincolns banner?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Genetics on 11:33 - Oct 30 with 993 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Genetics on 10:30 - Oct 30 by Boundy

He did Indeed. He was the ultimate politician but I believe a very, very good man. He had a habit of taking political opponents that he had just beaten in elections and putting them in positions of influence in his administration. He believed in keeping his friends close and his enemies even closer.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Genetics on 14:00 - Oct 30 with 965 viewsKeithHaynes

Glory, now that’s a film worth watching.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Genetics on 16:36 - Oct 30 with 930 viewsBoundy

Indeed it is

Genetics on 17:41 - Oct 30 with 890 viewsProfessor

Genetics on 16:36 - Oct 30 by Boundy

Indeed it is

Certainly is and based (roughly) in fact
Genetics on 18:22 - Oct 30 with 876 viewsCatullus

Genetics on 17:41 - Oct 30 by Professor

Certainly is and based (roughly) in fact

Wasn't it, in part, based on Robert Gough Shaw's letters home? A very good film with some great actors, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington.

Genetics on 18:38 - Oct 30 with 873 viewsProfessor

Genetics on 18:22 - Oct 30 by Catullus

Wasn't it, in part, based on Robert Gough Shaw's letters home? A very good film with some great actors, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington.

Yes. That’s right. I thought Matthew Broderick was also good as Shaw. The basic story is correct but there are a few ‘embellishments’.

I love the Ken Burns ‘Civil War’ series, much of the narrative of that is based on letters.
Genetics on 18:47 - Oct 30 with 866 viewsCatullus

Genetics on 18:38 - Oct 30 by Professor

Yes. That’s right. I thought Matthew Broderick was also good as Shaw. The basic story is correct but there are a few ‘embellishments’.

I love the Ken Burns ‘Civil War’ series, much of the narrative of that is based on letters.

They always embellish but some stories just don't need it.

I've seen that the 54th didn't attack alone, they had 2 other regiments for support. There are other things and apparently they cut a lot out to try and avoid it becoming a "white saviour" film.

Genetics on 19:01 - Oct 30 with 859 viewsDr_Winston

Genetics on 18:22 - Oct 30 by Catullus

I can't quite get my head around how old Denzel Washington is now. He's 65 FFS. I still think of him as in his 40's.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Genetics on 19:04 - Oct 30 with 858 viewsCatullus

Genetics on 19:01 - Oct 30 by Dr_Winston

I can't quite get my head around how old Denzel Washington is now. He's 65 FFS. I still think of him as in his 40's.

Morgan Freeman is 83, we're getting old mate!

Genetics on 20:17 - Oct 30 with 842 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Genetics on 19:04 - Oct 30 by Catullus

Morgan Freeman is 83, we're getting old mate!

Yes, but Morgan Freeman is God.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Genetics on 20:39 - Oct 30 with 829 viewsBoundy

Genetics on 18:38 - Oct 30 by Professor

I can't recall how many times I've watched that series and It still enjoy it , the music in the background so evocative of the times .

Genetics on 23:17 - Oct 30 with 801 viewsKilkennyjack

Many slaves were run to freedom in the north by welsh clergymen, who shared their faith.
Fantastic.

Beware of the Risen People

Genetics on 00:20 - Oct 31 with 787 viewsProfessor

Genetics on 20:39 - Oct 30 by Boundy

I can't recall how many times I've watched that series and It still enjoy it , the music in the background so evocative of the times .

A great documentary maker. I even loved his country music one. And I don’t much like the music!
Genetics on 08:26 - Oct 31 with 742 viewsBoundy

Genetics on 00:20 - Oct 31 by Professor

A great documentary maker. I even loved his country music one. And I don’t much like the music!

His series on the Vietnam war was painful viewing at times but again another great production

Genetics on 11:02 - Oct 31 with 709 viewsLohengrin

Genetics on 00:20 - Oct 31 by Professor

As Warwick pointed out there’s a lot of ridiculous cheesy stuff out there but in the right hands it’s sublime...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024