Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
more student accommodation 17:59 - Apr 7 with 1512 viewsbritferry

Another 350 beds, this time in the old HMRC building by the train station, hope they don't pop down that tunnel

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/former-hmrc-offices-swansea-turned

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

more student accommodation on 14:29 - Apr 8 with 498 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 12:29 - Apr 8 by Boundy

Employing who exactly ?

Cleaners, porters, all sorts of trdaespeople, admin staff, healthcare staff, teaching staff, shop staff,......lots and lots as well as all those in outside places who rely on student trade, local pubs and shops.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

more student accommodation on 14:35 - Apr 8 with 493 viewsKeithHaynes

more student accommodation on 19:19 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Best place for them, keep the houses in places like Brynmill for families. I have a nice juicy idea to upset any ardent capitalists, the government should compulsorily purchase as many HMO's as possible. and turn them back into homes then use them for council housing. Affordable housing...

How's that exHMRC, left wing enough for you?

Probably not a question he is able to answer any more.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

more student accommodation on 14:56 - Apr 8 with 478 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 14:35 - Apr 8 by KeithHaynes

Probably not a question he is able to answer any more.

Why? Has he left?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

more student accommodation on 15:14 - Apr 8 with 460 viewsBoundy

more student accommodation on 14:29 - Apr 8 by Catullus

Cleaners, porters, all sorts of trdaespeople, admin staff, healthcare staff, teaching staff, shop staff,......lots and lots as well as all those in outside places who rely on student trade, local pubs and shops.

Thanks

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

more student accommodation on 15:26 - Apr 8 with 453 viewsKilkennyjack

more student accommodation on 13:15 - Apr 8 by Boundy

Good to hear , but I do note that out of the 60 current vacancies a fair amount are internal applicants with very little of the remaining posts appropriate to a school leaver. I'm all for it and good to see the growth of the campus but sad that there are few opportunities for our youngsters , or am I wrong ?

You are wrong about everything else .... 🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

more student accommodation on 15:46 - Apr 8 with 446 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 13:15 - Apr 8 by Boundy

Good to hear , but I do note that out of the 60 current vacancies a fair amount are internal applicants with very little of the remaining posts appropriate to a school leaver. I'm all for it and good to see the growth of the campus but sad that there are few opportunities for our youngsters , or am I wrong ?

I can't vouch for Swansea but we (Liverpool) have a lot of apprenticeships (I pay a levy for this on research funding) which are good opportunities to get experience and training. There are obviously a range of jobs from Vice Chancellor to cleaners. We have just under 6000 staff and are the third largest single employer (after council and NHS) in the city. There are three other HE providers in the city and thought to employ more than 20,000 directly or indirectly. Worth 10-20% of the city economy. I would venture Swansea is similar.
more student accommodation on 16:02 - Apr 8 with 437 viewsBoundy

more student accommodation on 15:46 - Apr 8 by Professor

I can't vouch for Swansea but we (Liverpool) have a lot of apprenticeships (I pay a levy for this on research funding) which are good opportunities to get experience and training. There are obviously a range of jobs from Vice Chancellor to cleaners. We have just under 6000 staff and are the third largest single employer (after council and NHS) in the city. There are three other HE providers in the city and thought to employ more than 20,000 directly or indirectly. Worth 10-20% of the city economy. I would venture Swansea is similar.

That's good hear . I'd say the amount of new accommodation and infrastructure being built over the past 5 years which has been linked to the new campus and the development of Ashleigh Road sports complex as another example has had a bigger impact on the local economy than first thought . With SA1 still being developed and the redevelopment of the city centre it seems we may ride out the storm of losing major retailers than perhaps some other city centres

more student accommodation on 16:39 - Apr 8 with 423 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 16:02 - Apr 8 by Boundy

That's good hear . I'd say the amount of new accommodation and infrastructure being built over the past 5 years which has been linked to the new campus and the development of Ashleigh Road sports complex as another example has had a bigger impact on the local economy than first thought . With SA1 still being developed and the redevelopment of the city centre it seems we may ride out the storm of losing major retailers than perhaps some other city centres

That's hitting everywhere of course. Plenty of empty shops in Liverpool along the main drag (Church Street), but independents were booming (fuelled in part by students) before the pandemic. Chester, always an affluent place, is a shadow of itself a few years ago in terms of shops. Seems to be hitting the right market now in Swansea by thinking less of big flagships stores whose time is passing
Login to get fewer ads

more student accommodation on 17:06 - Apr 8 with 413 viewsLohengrin

The last time I read the official published stats there were over 4,000 on the waiting list for social housing in the Swansea area. The authority ought to be turning the spotlight on that first, addressing it as a genuine priority.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

more student accommodation on 17:09 - Apr 8 with 408 viewsonehunglow

more student accommodation on 17:06 - Apr 8 by Lohengrin

The last time I read the official published stats there were over 4,000 on the waiting list for social housing in the Swansea area. The authority ought to be turning the spotlight on that first, addressing it as a genuine priority.

You ok Loh.
Sorry about the music posts
Didn’t mean any harm

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

more student accommodation on 17:12 - Apr 8 with 408 viewsLohengrin

more student accommodation on 17:09 - Apr 8 by onehunglow

You ok Loh.
Sorry about the music posts
Didn’t mean any harm

Ha! working, mate. Trying to convert the garage, trying to renovate my daughter’s house and trying to keep my eyes open on night shifts.

I’m not getting any younger either!

more student accommodation on 17:21 - Apr 8 with 400 viewsKeithHaynes

more student accommodation on 14:56 - Apr 8 by Catullus

Why? Has he left?

No pun intended.
Yes.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

more student accommodation on 17:26 - Apr 8 with 391 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Correct makes you wonder why they council has built so few council houses in the last 25 years. Even a most 200 a year would have solved the housing crisis.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

more student accommodation on 17:29 - Apr 8 with 387 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 17:21 - Apr 8 by KeithHaynes

No pun intended.
Yes.

But, but, but, he didn't do a resignation post!

Oh well, was it my predilection for calling him a sheep for voting Labour? You'll have to add sheep to the list of banned insults.

The WWWDOT eh, no place for the faint hearted.

more student accommodation on 17:33 - Apr 8 with 385 viewsCatullus

hence my post on HMO's. If we moved all students into purpse built accomodation it would help in so many ways.
First we'd have students in controlled environments where they couldn't run wild and annoy families but also where they'd be safer.
Then we'd free up much needed family homes and if all HMO's were turned back into proper houses that would help the housing situation. It would make areas of Swansea much nicer of an evening too. Brynmill around midnight some days can be a madhouse.

more student accommodation on 17:35 - Apr 8 with 384 viewsLohengrin

more student accommodation on 17:26 - Apr 8 by felixstowe_jack

Correct makes you wonder why they council has built so few council houses in the last 25 years. Even a most 200 a year would have solved the housing crisis.

Because more than a few of the decision makers have a personal stake in the buy-to-let game and building social housing in sufficient quantity would militate against their own financial interests?

Call me an old cynic if you like...

more student accommodation on 17:36 - Apr 8 with 383 viewsLohengrin

more student accommodation on 17:33 - Apr 8 by Catullus

hence my post on HMO's. If we moved all students into purpse built accomodation it would help in so many ways.
First we'd have students in controlled environments where they couldn't run wild and annoy families but also where they'd be safer.
Then we'd free up much needed family homes and if all HMO's were turned back into proper houses that would help the housing situation. It would make areas of Swansea much nicer of an evening too. Brynmill around midnight some days can be a madhouse.

It gets my vote.

more student accommodation on 19:02 - Apr 8 with 348 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 17:35 - Apr 8 by Lohengrin

Because more than a few of the decision makers have a personal stake in the buy-to-let game and building social housing in sufficient quantity would militate against their own financial interests?

Well yes, you are an old cynic but you have good reason to be and I'd agree with you!

more student accommodation on 19:26 - Apr 8 with 344 viewsfelixstowe_jack

more student accommodation on 17:35 - Apr 8 by Lohengrin

Surely that would be a conflict of interest that councillors would have to disclose.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

more student accommodation on 19:30 - Apr 8 with 343 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 19:26 - Apr 8 by felixstowe_jack

Surely that would be a conflict of interest that councillors would have to disclose.

SHOULD disclose yes but plenty of politicians seem to make "honest" and/or "genuine" mistakes.

more student accommodation on 20:26 - Apr 8 with 323 viewsBoundy

more student accommodation on 19:30 - Apr 8 by Catullus

SHOULD disclose yes but plenty of politicians seem to make "honest" and/or "genuine" mistakes.

Only till they're caught

more student accommodation on 20:47 - Apr 8 with 305 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 20:26 - Apr 8 by Boundy

Only till they're caught

It's when they're caugh they admit to the honest mistake and swear it'll never happen again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024