Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changes a new manager would make instantly 15:29 - Jan 9 with 661 viewsonehunglow

Speaking hypothetically of course I would suggest

Installing a back four immediately.
Dropping Grimes as Captain being replaced by Downes

Back four of Bidwell (who s kept) Cabango Bennett Naughton

Piroe and Ncham up front

midfield of Downes,Pato,Fulton,Joseph /Garrick (having been recalled)

Stop passing to and fro at the back and to the keeper

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 15:34 - Jan 9 with 645 viewsGruffStephens

Where are the issues for Russell Martin ? Team examined and Swansea City transfer update. New names. 9th Jan 2022 11:04
It’s an incredible fact that every game bar maybe three this season the swans have thrown away. They could have been three points if not one, and maybe Russell Martin would be getting a smoother journey post Christmas. 0

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 17:38 - Jan 9 with 583 viewsReslovenSwan1

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 15:34 - Jan 9 by GruffStephens

Where are the issues for Russell Martin ? Team examined and Swansea City transfer update. New names. 9th Jan 2022 11:04
It’s an incredible fact that every game bar maybe three this season the swans have thrown away. They could have been three points if not one, and maybe Russell Martin would be getting a smoother journey post Christmas. 0

He could not stop Walsh doing a reckless pass for the first goal. Hamer is not good enough as a sweeper keeper and there is nothing he can do about that until Fisher arrives with Benda also lacking judgement.

There was some talk that Swansea switched off at 2-1. Similar to the Reading match. This can be attended to by bringing in a true captain in the Ashley Williams John Terry mould. Grimes is a fine player but "too nice". How could they possible "switch off"? Ashley would be in your face Rangel too and Monk.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 17:40 - Jan 9 with 580 viewsonehunglow

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 17:38 - Jan 9 by ReslovenSwan1

He could not stop Walsh doing a reckless pass for the first goal. Hamer is not good enough as a sweeper keeper and there is nothing he can do about that until Fisher arrives with Benda also lacking judgement.

There was some talk that Swansea switched off at 2-1. Similar to the Reading match. This can be attended to by bringing in a true captain in the Ashley Williams John Terry mould. Grimes is a fine player but "too nice". How could they possible "switch off"? Ashley would be in your face Rangel too and Monk.

I agree with your first paragraph,although coaches influence players.Right now,any coach of any tanding would end our habitual stroking the ball around right in front of our mediocre keeper which means we invite pressure.
Other teams see this .

Soton were in cruise control btw

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 17:48 - Jan 9 with 572 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Prioritise points instead of possession statistics.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 18:06 - Jan 9 with 541 viewsangryjack

Don't pick walsh then a d don't puck hamer...Walsh is a complete waste of a wage ..should never have signed him...injury prone..a journeyman just after a contract..him agent must be good
Changes a new manager would make instantly on 18:18 - Jan 9 with 527 viewsAndyCole

? He encourages the square pass across our deep middle - often the blind pass - expecting a fellow deep midfielder to read and take the pass. It's what we do, it's our raison d'etre, apparently.

Downs was missing from that space. Mainly as he seems confused, caught between playing CDM and CB. Not his fault, its the abysmal, mixed up coaching inculcated by a mixed up confused coaching team.

Re the OP:
- new fitness regime
- play to the strengths of available resources
- re establish the hwyl we've been famous for
- kiss, focus on winning effectively and efficiently
- play with zip and pace
- make the pitch as wide as possible and leverage pace
- re-establish the connection with the fans - fists-a-pumpin worked a treat.

Everything that Martin isn't doing.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 22:50 - Jan 9 with 424 viewsAjack_Kerouac

My strongest XI would be...

----------------------- Benda -----------------------------
----------- Bennett ---------- Cabango ----------------
Naughton -------------------------------------- Bidwell
--------------Downes ---- Smith ------------------------
---------------------- Grimes -----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Patterson ---------------------------
---------- Obafemi -------------- Piroe -----------------

Subs; Hamer (GK), Williams (CB), Latibeaudiere (RB), Fulton (DM), Manning (LB/DM/CM), Walsh (CM/AM), Ntcham (CM/AM), Whittaker (ST), Joseph (ST), Cullen (ST).

Explanation...

GK: Benda is in because he is the future, we need to build his confidence and give him the experience he needs. He is a Goalkeeper, not a sweeper.

RB: Naughton gets the nod because he is a solid defender, is experienced, has a good shot on him and is a useful player to have on the field when you are bringing on subs (as he can fill in at LB, CB and DM). I want him to send Obafemi away down the right regularly, utilising Obafemi's pace.
Latibeaudiere is a good option at RB also and I'd be comfortable with him playing there...he is never a wing-back (or a Winger, Russell Martin).

LB: Bidwell is a solid Championship left-back, a consistent 6/10 who backs himself to get forward. I want him to go forward in this system, the full-backs are providing the width and the crosses...they can do this because I have picked 2 defensive midfielders, one of which can provide cover everytime a full-back goes on the overlap.
I would be equally happy for Manning to play here though, part of my reasoning for picking Bidwell ahead of Manning is that Manning is a great versatile option off the bench.

CB: Bennett and Cabango are two proper Championship defenders. They are strong, they can tackle they can head...both have shown themselves capable of bringing the ball forward, I want them to bring it forward, draw a player and then play it simple.
Rhys Williams is in my sh*t book at the moment but we do know that he has ability and can look very comfortable on the ball. It would be up to him to force his way in ahead of Bennett and Cabango. Not writing him off.

DM/CM: I have picked 2. The reason why I've picked 2 is because I want the full-backs to provide some width and the defence will need protecting as a result. I've picked Smith and Downes...Smith gives us 100% committment and leadership in there, he is also intelligent. Downes is our best midfielder....however Grimes could play in the DM slot just as well if I fancied Ntcham and Patterson on the pitch at the same time.
Fulton is a natural DM also and a good option. He will never be an AM as long as we all have holes in our arses.
I've opted to play Grimes ahead of these 2 DMs though, in the playmaker role. Grimes is a good passer, is supremely fit, he can buzz around providing the passing option, providing the link between defence and attack. He can also shoot and we need more shots on goal, so get him forward a bit.
Ntcham could replace Grimes if it's not working, or Walsh. In the short amount of time I have seen Walsh on the pitch I would assess that his strongest trait is his passing. One of the few players I have witnessed playing a decent through ball this season...a creative playmaker role might suit him.

AM: Patterson has a free role in this system. His job is to find space between the lines and back himself when he is given the ball. I thought he made an awful start to his Swansea career but he has subsequently proven me wrong. It strikes me that he is a confidence player and the performance against Cardiff caused him to believe in himself. I want him playing with the shackles off, beat a man, thread a through ball, do the unexpected (flick a pass over the defence, play a back heel etc.) have a dip. All of our midfielders are capable of finding him if he can get the space, but especially Grimes should be able to tee him up.
If it's not working I might consider going with 1 striker and 2 in the hole (to make it harder to mark Patterson and to drag defenders forward into the hole in order to create the space in behind for the striker (I am looking for the lay off to Grimes to play the through ball for the striker.
Ntcham could replace Patterson, or partner him.

ST: I am going with 2. Piroe is the best striker, Obafemi has genuine pace. I want Piroe to lead the line and Obafemi to make runs into the channels , drop into the hole and then explode in behind every now and then (he needs to learn to time his runs.
With the full backs freed from trying to play as wingers their main attacking focus is to get up in support of attacks, provide a wide option and put in early crosses. With 2 strikers in there the crosses might actually bear some fruit. Piroe more the kind to hold his ground and be picked out or be first to a rebound and Obafemi making those pacy runs across his man in the 6 yard box trying to get anything on it.
2 up front would suit this squad better I reckon. Whittacker is the pacy alternative instead of Obafemi, Joseph is the leading the line sort, Cullen would be the poacher in a 2...the boy has taken a lot of stick but I feel it has been unfair to judge him without seeing him in a 2 with passes and crosses coming into the box on a more frequent basis. He looks an instinctual player to me.

I don't think there is anything too much wrong with the players we have, it is the wrong system...tbh Martin's system would be wrong for 99.9% of football teams on the planet.

...and Dhanda can do one.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 22:52]

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 22:52 - Jan 9 with 421 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You missed of Grimes from your midfielders

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 22:53 - Jan 9 with 419 viewsAjack_Kerouac

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 22:52 - Jan 9 by felixstowe_jack

You missed of Grimes from your midfielders

Did I?
I did miss Fulton
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 22:53]

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 09:27 - Jan 10 with 363 views1462jack

Unfortunately in ash we had a colossal leader and since he left for Everton there has been a lack of leadership on the pitch , someone to grab the bull by the horns ,they come few and far between though and ash was brilliant, surely there is a player out there within our price range who has the attributes required in a strong captain , I genuinely think if we had someone like ash in our team we would be up there at least in the playoffs places
Changes a new manager would make instantly on 09:30 - Jan 10 with 362 viewsonehunglow

Changes a new manager would make instantly on 09:27 - Jan 10 by 1462jack

Unfortunately in ash we had a colossal leader and since he left for Everton there has been a lack of leadership on the pitch , someone to grab the bull by the horns ,they come few and far between though and ash was brilliant, surely there is a player out there within our price range who has the attributes required in a strong captain , I genuinely think if we had someone like ash in our team we would be up there at least in the playoffs places

100% correct.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024