Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hey Professor, 20:15 - Jan 16 with 1024 viewsCatullus

The antibiotic resistance research folks may have had a breakthrough,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/superbug-breakthrough-made-in-antibioti

That would be a great thing, it'd be nice to have some good news with all this nonsense swirling around, covid, Bojo, Djokovic, Swans players leaving.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Hey Professor, on 20:21 - Jan 16 with 1006 viewsKilkennyjack

Experts - good.

Keith down the pub - not so good.

Beware of the Risen People

Hey Professor, on 20:28 - Jan 16 with 998 viewsCatullus

Hey Professor, on 20:21 - Jan 16 by Kilkennyjack

Experts - good.

Keith down the pub - not so good.

Another flippant, throwaway remark. One day you'll have something worthwhile to say.

What if Keith down the pub happened to be a professor in this field?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Hey Professor, on 23:42 - Jan 16 with 930 viewsKilkennyjack

Hey Professor, on 20:28 - Jan 16 by Catullus

Another flippant, throwaway remark. One day you'll have something worthwhile to say.

What if Keith down the pub happened to be a professor in this field?

Keith down the pub drives a taxi for Yellow cabs.
All his mates drive cabs as well, or have moved to drive for DPD.

Never seen an academic from any field down our local.

Are you familiar with Swansea pubs at all ?

Beware of the Risen People

Hey Professor, on 11:14 - Jan 17 with 861 viewsProfessor

Its a bit over-egged Cat. The idea has been around for a while-even using PBT-2 is not that new. They are class of drugs called ionophores-closely related to AFD's favourite HCQ. Some are used to treat parasitic infections in animals. It looks to be they enhance activity against Gram positive bacteria, but they won't do much against Gram negative bacteria (like the buggers I work on) or Mycobacteria like TB. Promising, but we really need new classes of drugs as resistance will happen to ionophores too.
Hey Professor, on 12:23 - Jan 17 with 835 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hey Professor, on 11:14 - Jan 17 by Professor

Its a bit over-egged Cat. The idea has been around for a while-even using PBT-2 is not that new. They are class of drugs called ionophores-closely related to AFD's favourite HCQ. Some are used to treat parasitic infections in animals. It looks to be they enhance activity against Gram positive bacteria, but they won't do much against Gram negative bacteria (like the buggers I work on) or Mycobacteria like TB. Promising, but we really need new classes of drugs as resistance will happen to ionophores too.

But it is not the ionophores is it.
It is the Zinc transferred in to the Cells as I have been saying for over a year.
Can Bacteria become resistant to chemical elements?
Hey Professor, on 12:41 - Jan 17 with 829 viewsProfessor

Hey Professor, on 12:23 - Jan 17 by A_Fans_Dad

But it is not the ionophores is it.
It is the Zinc transferred in to the Cells as I have been saying for over a year.
Can Bacteria become resistant to chemical elements?

No. In this case The ionophores disrupt the cell wall. This allows the antibiotic to act.
Since neither eukaryotic cells or viruses have cell walls it won’t work in the same way . Uptake of all metals is regulated anyway. In Protozoa ionophores disrupt the cell
Membrane, but less so in multicellular organisms. They have no direct effect on acellular viruses
Hey Professor, on 12:49 - Jan 17 with 821 viewsBadlands

Phage therapy is the way to go on superbugs.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Hey Professor, on 13:16 - Jan 17 with 791 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hey Professor, on 12:41 - Jan 17 by Professor

No. In this case The ionophores disrupt the cell wall. This allows the antibiotic to act.
Since neither eukaryotic cells or viruses have cell walls it won’t work in the same way . Uptake of all metals is regulated anyway. In Protozoa ionophores disrupt the cell
Membrane, but less so in multicellular organisms. They have no direct effect on acellular viruses

So why do they specifically show the inclusion of Zinc in the lungs?
Login to get fewer ads

Hey Professor, on 13:19 - Jan 17 with 794 viewsProfessor

Hey Professor, on 12:49 - Jan 17 by Badlands

Phage therapy is the way to go on superbugs.

It has a place, but also has big limitations. Bacteriophages (viruses that infect bacteria for those who may not know) are very specific to their host-may not even infect variants of the same bacterial species so can only be used when the cause of infection is known-a mix or cocktail can help reduce the need for absolute specificity. So that takes phage out the equation in terms of broad spectrum use by a GP for example, but could still be used as targeted treatment.

Phage resistance also develops quickly-so again defined use is needed and efficacy can be hit and miss as the bacterial "immune" CRISPR-Cas system is there to stop infection by lytic phage.

Certainly worth investment in developing phage therapy, but we really need good broad spectrum drugs be be developed too.
Hey Professor, on 14:43 - Jan 17 with 764 viewsCatullus

Hey Professor, on 23:42 - Jan 16 by Kilkennyjack

Keith down the pub drives a taxi for Yellow cabs.
All his mates drive cabs as well, or have moved to drive for DPD.

Never seen an academic from any field down our local.

Are you familiar with Swansea pubs at all ?

I used to be very familiar with a lot of them! The pub I used to work in had several academics as regulars.

Keith down your pub may drive taxis but that may not be true elsewhere. Even academics go for a pint.

Hey Professor, on 14:46 - Jan 17 with 755 viewsCatullus

Hey Professor, on 11:14 - Jan 17 by Professor

Oh, shame. I was looking for some good news for a change!

Do you go for a pint down your local, prof?

Hey Professor, on 15:33 - Jan 17 with 731 viewsProfessor

Hey Professor, on 14:46 - Jan 17 by Catullus

Oh, shame. I was looking for some good news for a change!

Do you go for a pint down your local, prof?

Not often. Though has very good beer and great views over the Dee Estuary and saltmarsh. Full of cyclists and birders normally.
Hey Professor, on 16:45 - Jan 17 with 705 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hey Professor, on 12:41 - Jan 17 by Professor

So you say it is not for Zinc and it is to "disrupt the cell wall. This allows the antibiotic to act".

And they say Quote
-
Zinc can impair the activity of the peptidoglycan biosynthetic enzyme GlmU
-
The zinc ionophore PBT2 overwhelms S. pneumoniae zinc resistance mechanisms
-
PBT2-mediated zinc intoxication breaks resistance to multiple antibiotic classes
-
PBT2 rescues ampicillin efficacy during drug-resistant S. pneumoniae lung infection

They used PBT2 for pneumonia in exactly the same way that the doctors used HCQ for COVID.
How about you go and read the actual research instead of guessing?

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(21)01706-X?_returnURL=http

Then you might reconsider why the Oxford Recovery Study with it's severe overdoses of HCQ without Zinc was not designed to test what the doctors were all using in their treatment protocols
Hey Professor, on 16:52 - Jan 17 with 699 viewsonehunglow

Hey Professor, on 15:33 - Jan 17 by Professor

Not often. Though has very good beer and great views over the Dee Estuary and saltmarsh. Full of cyclists and birders normally.

Nothing the matter with cyclists. The Harp is a nice stop off point.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Hey Professor, on 17:01 - Jan 17 with 696 viewsProfessor

Hey Professor, on 16:52 - Jan 17 by onehunglow

Nothing the matter with cyclists. The Harp is a nice stop off point.

Heaving last few weekends-some rare birds around.
Walk the dogs past there
Hey Professor, on 17:02 - Jan 17 with 695 viewsonehunglow

Hey Professor, on 17:01 - Jan 17 by Professor

Heaving last few weekends-some rare birds around.
Walk the dogs past there

Hoylakecthecsame.
Seen one bird yiu seen em all

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024