Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Commentator thread 01:05 - Jun 15 with 1514 viewsDr_Parnassus

I cannot stand them in football.

For some reason in football they feel they have to be poetic and every sentence has to be word play or Shakespearean. No other sport seems to have commentators that do this.

I just watched the England vs Hungary highlights. Just bizarre the stuff he was coming out with. If you watch this and pretend its your mate talking with the game on silent in a pub, you or someone else would certainly have told him to shut up within 5 mins.

''For Hungary it becomes a special night indeed... FOR HIM it becomes a MORE than special night''

''They are 20 minutes just more, away from a victory of historic note''.

''He has thumped that in gloriously, and a glorious night it surely is for Hungary now, who have ripped up England on their own turf. What a hit... what a problem''.

''For England, horror upon Hungarian horror, for Hungary... the night of their fantasies''

''These are magical, magical magyars''

Who on earth speaks like this??

[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 1:07]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Commentator thread on 08:12 - Jun 15 with 1432 viewsGixerJack

I don’t think he’s allowed to laugh and say “Hungary have just poked England a new one” which is what the language would be in the pubs around here, but I get your point
Commentator thread on 09:01 - Jun 15 with 1407 viewsDr_Parnassus

Commentator thread on 08:12 - Jun 15 by GixerJack

I don’t think he’s allowed to laugh and say “Hungary have just poked England a new one” which is what the language would be in the pubs around here, but I get your point

I’d prefer that 1000 times over.

Commentator thread on 11:35 - Jun 15 with 1337 viewsjasper_T

A lot of them come off like they're advertising a game you're already watching. The newer generation of commentators all seem to have been taught to commentate in a put-on dramatic tone and have a page full of generic one-liners ready (Sam Matterface awful). Unfortunately many of the older ones now struggle to remember player names (last decade of John Motson painful), or now think themselves experts and frequently talk over the ex-pros alongside them (Martin Tyler awful).

My favourite recent commentator is the guy who did the Wales Croatia u18s game because he was pulling double duty as the stadium announcer, and did announcements in Croatian and English.
Commentator thread on 11:48 - Jun 15 with 1319 viewsDr_Parnassus

Commentator thread on 11:35 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

A lot of them come off like they're advertising a game you're already watching. The newer generation of commentators all seem to have been taught to commentate in a put-on dramatic tone and have a page full of generic one-liners ready (Sam Matterface awful). Unfortunately many of the older ones now struggle to remember player names (last decade of John Motson painful), or now think themselves experts and frequently talk over the ex-pros alongside them (Martin Tyler awful).

My favourite recent commentator is the guy who did the Wales Croatia u18s game because he was pulling double duty as the stadium announcer, and did announcements in Croatian and English.

I agree, it’s common place now so many don’t even notice. But if you isolate the game from the voice, they are just talking absolute gibberish. Like a teenagers in a creative writing lesson.

Many of these sentences are pre-planned, they are so unnatural it’s cringeworthy. They are all trying to get the “Aguerooooooo” moment.

Agree regarding Motson bless him. He was in a constant state of confusion with what was going on, he would emphasise a players name as if he was about to take a shot - you would look up in expectation and he would simply be controlling the ball on the halfway line.

But this desire to be poetic and romanticising every single sentence is becoming increasingly nauseating, and again I don’t think it exists in any other sport. Quite why it has taken hold in football I don’t know.

Commentator thread on 12:17 - Jun 15 with 1295 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Motson is pure filth.

Commentator thread on 19:13 - Jun 15 with 1190 viewsunion_jack

Commentator thread on 11:35 - Jun 15 by jasper_T

Martin bloody Tyler and his “and it’s liiiive”😡😡😡

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Commentator thread on 19:19 - Jun 15 with 1184 viewsKeithHaynes

Commentator thread on 19:13 - Jun 15 by union_jack

Huw Johns anyone ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Commentator thread on 00:43 - Jun 16 with 1084 viewsDr_Parnassus

Commentator thread on 19:13 - Jun 15 by union_jack

Horrendous.

There are some really good female commentators in US Sports who I enjoy listening to. I can’t think of a single football commentator I like though.

Everyone has an obsession with trying to be iconic, memorable and historically quotable.

Login to get fewer ads

Commentator thread on 15:55 - Jun 16 with 963 viewsangryjack

Idwal roblin?
Commentator thread on 17:30 - Jun 16 with 942 viewsunion_jack

Bluebird Bob
Jonathan Owens

Commentator thread on 21:23 - Jun 16 with 889 viewsKeithHaynes

Commentator thread on 17:30 - Jun 16 by union_jack

Bluebird Bob
Jonathan Owens

Bob Simmonds ?
I do recall him wearing a swans jumper when we were in the first division.

Can’t think now of the name of the commentator who shouted ‘we’ve scored’ when Cardiff scored against the swans. It could just be sad folklore.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Commentator thread on 21:41 - Jun 16 with 867 viewsunion_jack

Commentator thread on 21:23 - Jun 16 by KeithHaynes

Bob Simmonds ?
I do recall him wearing a swans jumper when we were in the first division.

Can’t think now of the name of the commentator who shouted ‘we’ve scored’ when Cardiff scored against the swans. It could just be sad folklore.

No, Bob Humphreys, brother of John.

Don’t recall that incident though, but knowing some of the bias I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

Commentator thread on 15:36 - Jun 17 with 776 viewsTenbySwan

They are a bl**dy nuisance.

Especially co commentators.

All channels the same, S4C for Holland aways last week with a commentator and TWO Co commentator who didn't shut up. Had to turn the sound off.
Amazon at one time just had the crowd noise which was so much better.
Commentator thread on 01:02 - Jun 18 with 685 viewsRobbie

Think TV companies are trying to employ a diverse cross section of pundits and presenters to appease everyone , sometimes it falls flat .

Maybe the real skill of a knowledgeable broadcaster is now lost , thankfully TMS cricket coverage is still up there with the best .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024