Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We have ways of making you talk 15:44 - Sep 23 with 2830 viewsTreforys_Jack

Podcasts , with Al Murray and James Holland, over 400 in the archives. If your into any sort of military history they are fantastic.
Just listened to 10 things you didn't know about D-Day, Scotty from Star Trek fame was shot by his own troops on D-Day because he forgot the password coming back from patrol. Shot in the hand, his acting career subsequently always had him with his hand behind his back or in his pocket. More soldiers killed training for D-Day than on the first day itself.
We have ways of making you talk on 17:32 - Sep 23 with 2269 viewsDr_Winston

The two parter with Brian Johnson of AC/DC is a corker.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

We have ways of making you talk on 17:48 - Sep 23 with 2263 viewsTreforys_Jack

We have ways of making you talk on 17:32 - Sep 23 by Dr_Winston

The two parter with Brian Johnson of AC/DC is a corker.

They seemed to have missed me somehow, bit ripping through them now.
We have ways of making you talk on 19:22 - Sep 23 with 2219 viewsCatullus

I haven't really bothered with podcasts but this sounds right up my street.

Is there a link or anything, me being a technodunce!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

We have ways of making you talk on 19:54 - Sep 23 with 2207 viewsLohengrin

We have ways of making you talk on 19:22 - Sep 23 by Catullus

Rock ‘n’ Roll & the 8th Army’s campaign in the western desert. by Lohengrin 3 Aug 2022 13:53
Fantastic listen this. The ‘We Have Ways’ podcast is always a brilliant show but here they have Brian Johnson late of AC/DC … and 3 Para … as their guest.

Some of you will love this:

https://play.acast.com/s/wehaveways/189.ac-dc-sbrianjohnson

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

We have ways of making you talk on 20:34 - Sep 23 with 2194 viewsBoundy

We have ways of making you talk on 19:22 - Sep 23 by Catullus

Its really well worth a listen, its continually updated and very informative with varying topics .With my air pods, Ipad thats the dark early nights sorted

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

We have ways of making you talk on 21:59 - Sep 23 with 2174 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 20:34 - Sep 23 by Boundy

Its really well worth a listen, its continually updated and very informative with varying topics .With my air pods, Ipad thats the dark early nights sorted

Cheers Boundy, I remember loh posting that now. I meant to listen, The North African campaign is ne of my areas of interest because my Grandad served out there. I've read the letter he sent back from the field hospital he was in for 2 weeks after El Alamein.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

We have ways of making you talk on 22:09 - Sep 23 with 2166 viewsBoundy

We have ways of making you talk on 21:59 - Sep 23 by Catullus

Cheers Boundy, I remember loh posting that now. I meant to listen, The North African campaign is ne of my areas of interest because my Grandad served out there. I've read the letter he sent back from the field hospital he was in for 2 weeks after El Alamein.

Now that's history at a personal level . I hope he survived to live a long life ?

We have ways of making you talk on 22:19 - Sep 23 with 2161 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 22:09 - Sep 23 by Boundy

Now that's history at a personal level . I hope he survived to live a long life ?

He survived that and D day, sadly he died in 1974 when I was nearly 7, of a heart attack. He was almost 60.

Login to get fewer ads

We have ways of making you talk on 22:24 - Sep 23 with 2158 viewsBoundy

We have ways of making you talk on 22:19 - Sep 23 by Catullus

He survived that and D day, sadly he died in 1974 when I was nearly 7, of a heart attack. He was almost 60.

I'm sorry to hear that but I bet a hero still in you and your families eyes .

We have ways of making you talk on 22:31 - Sep 23 with 2153 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 22:24 - Sep 23 by Boundy

I'm sorry to hear that but I bet a hero still in you and your families eyes .

He's my hero for sure, ahead of any sports star or celebrity.

We have ways of making you talk on 22:31 - Sep 23 with 2153 viewsDr_Winston

I am shamefully ignorant of my familys history during the Wars.

I know my mother's father served in WW2 but he died when I was about five or six so never got the chance to talk to him about it. I know that my Paternal Grandmother's first husband was in the merchant marine and died when his ship was torpedoed south of Iceland (fun fact, the U-Boat responsible was commanded by Karl Doenitz's son in law) but no idea if her second husband, my grandfather, served at all. Suspect he didn't because he was a Railwayman. He was long dead before I was born tho.

My granny was quite unlucky when it came to husbands.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 22:33]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

We have ways of making you talk on 22:36 - Sep 23 with 2148 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 22:31 - Sep 23 by Dr_Winston

I know my mother's father served in WW2 but he died when I was about five or six so never got the chance to talk to him about it. I know that my Paternal Grandmother's first husband was in the merchant marine and died when his ship was torpedoed south of Iceland (fun fact, the U-Boat responsible was commanded by Karl Doenitz's son in law) but no idea if her second husband, my grandfather, served at all. Suspect he didn't because he was a Railwayman. He was long dead before I was born tho.

My other Grandad had a reserved occupation, he was a miner. he died when I was 5, that was in 1973. He wanted to go and fight apparently but was refused and sent back down the pit.

We have ways of making you talk on 22:50 - Sep 23 with 2145 viewsBoundy

We have ways of making you talk on 22:31 - Sep 23 by Dr_Winston

Now there's a story to be told and should be, history is created by everyday people like your family and if not recorded then at least told otherwise its lost for ever . my sister's currently researching our family history ,nothing of which stands out so far but still worth knowing if only to confirm that Lloyd George did indeed know my father

We have ways of making you talk on 03:42 - Sep 24 with 2125 viewsTreforys_Jack

We have ways of making you talk on 22:50 - Sep 23 by Boundy

Now there's a story to be told and should be, history is created by everyday people like your family and if not recorded then at least told otherwise its lost for ever . my sister's currently researching our family history ,nothing of which stands out so far but still worth knowing if only to confirm that Lloyd George did indeed know my father

Indeed, I unearthed many stories and unearthed 5 previously unknown direct bloodline relatives who paid the ultimate price in WW1. I've since been to 2 of the graves, and Thiepval. Need to go to the Cambrai memorial to the missing for 1 other. The last lad unfortunately is buried in Baghdad, so pretty much out of reach.
We have ways of making you talk on 06:06 - Sep 24 with 2117 viewsDr_Winston

The problem with family history is that it can be unreliable. My grandmother went to her grave convinced that husband #1 went down with HMS Hood. It was widely accepted as truth within the family.

It was only a couple of years ago when I was bored and decided to look him up online i found out that he actually worked for Fyffes before his ship was requisitioned by the Navy and had never set foot on Hood.

We have ways of making you talk on 09:18 - Sep 24 with 2084 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 06:06 - Sep 24 by Dr_Winston

The problem with family history is that it can be unreliable. My grandmother went to her grave convinced that husband #1 went down with HMS Hood. It was widely accepted as truth within the family.

It was only a couple of years ago when I was bored and decided to look him up online i found out that he actually worked for Fyffes before his ship was requisitioned by the Navy and had never set foot on Hood.

History generally can be unreliable, there's a lot f guesswork. The first dinosaur bne discovered was thought to come from a giant race of humans!

You have to keep digging, confirm what facts you can. This husband #1, was he avoiding service or did he take the chance t run away from your gran? Will you ever know? Do you know what became of him?

It might not be the stroy you want but it may be interesting all the same.

My grandads story from WW2 was confirmed by 2 friends who served in the same unit, frends and neighbours they were. They could all have been lying I guess, I'll never know. Ultimately I guess I want to believe he's the person I have been told about but there is one odd thing, when I tried to do more research and put his army serial number into a relevant search engine, nothing came up. Yet I have seen his heavily redacted letters home with the envelope still legible too, I have seen his medals.

We have ways of making you talk on 12:42 - Sep 24 with 2074 viewsDr_Winston

There's nothing untowards. He's listed on the Swansea Cenotaph in the Merchant Marine section. It's just funny how time plays tricks on the mind. She probably did know the real story, but over the decades convinced herself otherwise.

We have ways of making you talk on 12:51 - Sep 24 with 2072 viewsCatullus

We have ways of making you talk on 12:42 - Sep 24 by Dr_Winston

There's nothing untowards. He's listed on the Swansea Cenotaph in the Merchant Marine section. It's just funny how time plays tricks on the mind. She probably did know the real story, but over the decades convinced herself otherwise.

I think all families have stories like that, the real facts just get changed over the years. It's the normal turns of events. I think people try to make their story more interesting.

We have ways of making you talk on 16:37 - Sep 24 with 2063 viewsTreforys_Jack

A great Uncle I discovered was in Bletchley for 4 years in the block next to Turing, he wrote a spy novel in 1946 in Welsh, which is reasonable to assume was motivated from his experiences. Its quite hard to get hold of, but managed to get an original a few weeks ago. " Y GELYN MEWNOL" the enemy within. Mrs TJ deeply confused about why I'd want a book written in 1946 in Welsh, you could but half a dozen books with what you paid for that she said lol.
We have ways of making you talk on 16:54 - Sep 24 with 2059 viewsLohengrin

We have ways of making you talk on 16:37 - Sep 24 by Treforys_Jack

A great Uncle I discovered was in Bletchley for 4 years in the block next to Turing, he wrote a spy novel in 1946 in Welsh, which is reasonable to assume was motivated from his experiences. Its quite hard to get hold of, but managed to get an original a few weeks ago. " Y GELYN MEWNOL" the enemy within. Mrs TJ deeply confused about why I'd want a book written in 1946 in Welsh, you could but half a dozen books with what you paid for that she said lol.

Now then, did your great-uncle by any chance finish his days in a Neath nursing home?

We have ways of making you talk on 18:01 - Sep 24 with 2042 viewsTreforys_Jack

We have ways of making you talk on 16:54 - Sep 24 by Lohengrin

Now then, did your great-uncle by any chance finish his days in a Neath nursing home?

Not to my knowledge, Anglesey I believe. But did live in the Neath / Skewen area, so it's possible.
We have ways of making you talk on 18:12 - Sep 24 with 2037 viewsLohengrin

We have ways of making you talk on 18:01 - Sep 24 by Treforys_Jack

Not to my knowledge, Anglesey I believe. But did live in the Neath / Skewen area, so it's possible.

Years ago the wife had an ex-Bletchley bod under her care. There can’t have been too many from this area so it did make me wonder, mate?

We have ways of making you talk on 13:36 - Sep 25 with 2000 viewsTreforys_Jack

We have ways of making you talk on 18:12 - Sep 24 by Lohengrin

Years ago the wife had an ex-Bletchley bod under her care. There can’t have been too many from this area so it did make me wonder, mate?

PM sent.
We have ways of making you talk on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 1983 viewsLohengrin

We have ways of making you talk on 13:36 - Sep 25 by Treforys_Jack

PM sent.

Just replied. 👍

We have ways of making you talk on 17:32 - Sep 25 with 1960 viewsonehunglow

We have ways of making you talk on 14:29 - Sep 25 by Lohengrin

Just replied. 👍

Did you get my PM or DM

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024