Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing our mental health 18:15 - Feb 6 with 29371 viewsKeithHaynes

This works. We shouldn’t forget our responsibilities to ourselves.

1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:
Eat nutritious meals
Avoid smoking and vaping-- see Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in people.

3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need – and it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy.

7. Set realistic goals:
Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. Aim high, but be realistic and don't over-schedule. You'll enjoy a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self-worth as you progress toward your goal.

8. Break up the monotony:
Although our routines make us more efficient and enhance our feelings of security and safety, a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule. Alter your jogging route, plan a road-trip, take a walk in a different park, hang some new pictures or try a new restaurant.

9. Avoid alcohol and other drugs:
Keep alcohol use to a minimum and avoid other drugs. Sometimes people use alcohol and other drugs to "self-medicate" but in reality, alcohol and other drugs only aggravate problems.

10. Get help when you need it:
Seeking help is a sign of strength – not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective. People who get appropriate care can recover from mental illness and addiction and lead full, rewarding lives.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Managing our mental health on 20:07 - Feb 6 with 11515 viewsmax936

great post, but how do you get enough sleep, I am a terrible sleeper and have been for yrs, think I've just got used to it now, I wake regularly through the night mostly to use the toilet then struggle to get back, if I'm feeling stress full its even worse, with head sweats etc, don't know what to do about it.

Getting enough sleep is easy to say, but hard for those that don't.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Managing our mental health on 20:10 - Feb 6 with 11510 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 20:07 - Feb 6 by max936

great post, but how do you get enough sleep, I am a terrible sleeper and have been for yrs, think I've just got used to it now, I wake regularly through the night mostly to use the toilet then struggle to get back, if I'm feeling stress full its even worse, with head sweats etc, don't know what to do about it.

Do you drink coffee ? If so how late ? Do you drink much ? Eat food late ? I get up at 6am to do my workouts, working all day, knackered by time bed time comes
Managing our mental health on 20:15 - Feb 6 with 11481 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 20:07 - Feb 6 by max936

Don’t drink coffee after 7pm.
Avoid alcohol when possible and have three alcohol days per week.
Be yourself.Always .
Be lucky because fortune is the single most significant factor that affects life’s

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Managing our mental health on 20:16 - Feb 6 with 11503 viewsmax936

No 9 is spot on, often hear people say I need a drink when they got an issue or issues, tele doesn't help, you hear that on the television very often as well, which encourages some views to do the same, for me the worse thing you can do is turn to drink to solve a problem it just makes your issues feel worse.

As for Drugs I've no idea, never ever taken them, Doctors prescriptions apart of course.

Managing our mental health on 20:17 - Feb 6 with 11502 viewsmax936

Managing our mental health on 20:10 - Feb 6 by Sirjohnalot

Do you drink coffee ? If so how late ? Do you drink much ? Eat food late ? I get up at 6am to do my workouts, working all day, knackered by time bed time comes

Not a coffee drinker to be honest odd cup apart, Tea is my go to hot drink love it.

Managing our mental health on 20:18 - Feb 6 with 11476 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 20:17 - Feb 6 by max936

Not a coffee drinker to be honest odd cup apart, Tea is my go to hot drink love it.

Make it Green Tea
It’s good for enlarged prostrates

Tastes vile mind so squeeze a lemon into it

Managing our mental health on 20:20 - Feb 6 with 11497 viewsmax936

Managing our mental health on 20:15 - Feb 6 by onehunglow

Don’t drink coffee after 7pm.
Avoid alcohol when possible and have three alcohol days per week.
Be yourself.Always .
Be lucky because fortune is the single most significant factor that affects life’s

Usually have a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday night and sometimes top it off with a couple of bottles of beer Saturday is usually beer time, don't touch it any other times unless I'm away on hols etc.

Managing our mental health on 20:21 - Feb 6 with 11488 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 20:17 - Feb 6 by max936

Try decaf tea after 6 maybe ?
Login to get fewer ads

Managing our mental health on 20:24 - Feb 6 with 11453 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 20:20 - Feb 6 by max936

Usually have a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday night and sometimes top it off with a couple of bottles of beer Saturday is usually beer time, don't touch it any other times unless I'm away on hols etc.

I now drink Red Wine with meals.
It’s good for cholesterol . Honest
Guinness with the rugby
Water with the swans

Managing our mental health on 20:26 - Feb 6 with 11474 viewsmax936

Managing our mental health on 20:21 - Feb 6 by Sirjohnalot

Try decaf tea after 6 maybe ?

You tasted that stuff? Mrs drinks it, because her heart rate races if she drinks normal tea, I just can't take to the stuff.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 20:27]

Managing our mental health on 20:32 - Feb 6 with 11447 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 20:26 - Feb 6 by max936

You tasted that stuff? Mrs drinks it, because her heart rate races if she drinks normal tea, I just can't take to the stuff.

Earl Grey is nice mate

Managing our mental health on 20:34 - Feb 6 with 11468 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 20:26 - Feb 6 by max936

Mrs John drinks PG Tips decaf, I got them mixed up the other day and couldn’t tell the difference
Managing our mental health on 20:39 - Feb 6 with 11440 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 20:34 - Feb 6 by Sirjohnalot

Mrs John drinks PG Tips decaf, I got them mixed up the other day and couldn’t tell the difference

PG tips!
Dear God.

Managing our mental health on 20:41 - Feb 6 with 11460 viewsmax936

Managing our mental health on 20:39 - Feb 6 by onehunglow

PG tips!
Dear God.

I'm a Sean Bean fan myself, love a Yorkshire Brew

Managing our mental health on 20:44 - Feb 6 with 11448 viewsbuilthjack

Managing our mental health on 20:10 - Feb 6 by Sirjohnalot

I usually have a couple of coffees at night. Sleep like a baby for about 5/6 hours.
That’s all I seem to need, ask Fireboy, I pee him off when we are on tour as I am still up at 8 after a 3am session.
Working 11/12 hour days helps me sleep.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Managing our mental health on 20:49 - Feb 6 with 11455 viewsmax936

Mental health is much much more than poor sleep though, its a serious subject and a complex subject which is well above my knowledge.

Managing our mental health on 20:58 - Feb 6 with 11444 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 20:49 - Feb 6 by max936

Mental health is much much more than poor sleep though, its a serious subject and a complex subject which is well above my knowledge.

I drink a lot of coffee but have no trouble sleeping.

Mist of those tips I have followed for ages, specially surrounding myself with good people, dumping the bad and de-stressing.
I'm not so good at the healthy diet tho, I love curry and biscuits with coffee.
My life and mental health improved significantly when I near enough stopped alcohol.
Managing our mental health on 21:02 - Feb 6 with 11437 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 20:58 - Feb 6 by SullutaCreturned

Mist of those tips I have followed for ages, specially surrounding myself with good people, dumping the bad and de-stressing.
My life and mental health improved significantly when I near enough stopped alcohol.

Only normally find it hard, day before a closing speech. Always nice to get it done, then can relax for the judge’s summing up and jury to go out
Managing our mental health on 21:14 - Feb 6 with 11416 viewsbuilthjack

Managing our mental health on 20:49 - Feb 6 by max936

Absolutely. Nobody knows another’s circumstances. Life can be very hard.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Managing our mental health on 21:42 - Feb 6 with 11403 viewsSirjohnalot

This is such an important thread, thank you Keith. I lost a few colleagues last year, through a combination or stress related heart attacks, cancer and suicide. So very, very important to take time out to decompress
Managing our mental health on 21:47 - Feb 6 with 11397 viewsBoundy

I have to admit after being diagnosed with the dreaded C for a second time my thoughts and emotions are everywhere, not helped by the treatment which won't cure me but delay the inevitible for as long as I keep the faith. So far the phyisical aspect of the illness hasn't affected me but the mental one is a bit of a battle at times but suprisingly I sleep well enough .I suppose like grief what I'm experiencing comes in waves with peaks and troughs and in the middle a short period of forgetfulness for which I'm grateful for even in small doses .But temepered with all that is the thought that I'm not buried under tonnes of rubble or hiding in a shelter being attacked by missles unlike some poor innocent souls .Theres always someone worse of then you so treasure and look after what you have because its not forever

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Managing our mental health on 21:53 - Feb 6 with 11385 viewsSirjohnalot

Also, even though we’re getting better, blokes tend not to talk about, play it down as there’s a perception (or used to be) it makes you soft. Same as pulling a muscle, that’s all the mind/brain is. Always talk to someone
Managing our mental health on 22:06 - Feb 6 with 11369 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 20:41 - Feb 6 by max936

I'm a Sean Bean fan myself, love a Yorkshire Brew

Same here.
Mind you could be why I am on here posting until silly o clock in the morning

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 22:09 - Feb 6 with 11358 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 20:58 - Feb 6 by SullutaCreturned

Hard work helps you sleep - oh wait ...
Mind you I got a cheek to have a dig as i am retired

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 22:10 - Feb 6 with 11350 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 21:47 - Feb 6 by Boundy

I have to admit after being diagnosed with the dreaded C for a second time my thoughts and emotions are everywhere, not helped by the treatment which won't cure me but delay the inevitible for as long as I keep the faith. So far the phyisical aspect of the illness hasn't affected me but the mental one is a bit of a battle at times but suprisingly I sleep well enough .I suppose like grief what I'm experiencing comes in waves with peaks and troughs and in the middle a short period of forgetfulness for which I'm grateful for even in small doses .But temepered with all that is the thought that I'm not buried under tonnes of rubble or hiding in a shelter being attacked by missles unlike some poor innocent souls .Theres always someone worse of then you so treasure and look after what you have because its not forever

👏👏👏👏👏👏
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024