Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing our mental health 18:15 - Feb 6 with 29358 viewsKeithHaynes

This works. We shouldn’t forget our responsibilities to ourselves.

1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:
Eat nutritious meals
Avoid smoking and vaping-- see Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in people.

3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need – and it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy.

7. Set realistic goals:
Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. Aim high, but be realistic and don't over-schedule. You'll enjoy a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self-worth as you progress toward your goal.

8. Break up the monotony:
Although our routines make us more efficient and enhance our feelings of security and safety, a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule. Alter your jogging route, plan a road-trip, take a walk in a different park, hang some new pictures or try a new restaurant.

9. Avoid alcohol and other drugs:
Keep alcohol use to a minimum and avoid other drugs. Sometimes people use alcohol and other drugs to "self-medicate" but in reality, alcohol and other drugs only aggravate problems.

10. Get help when you need it:
Seeking help is a sign of strength – not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective. People who get appropriate care can recover from mental illness and addiction and lead full, rewarding lives.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Managing our mental health on 19:38 - Feb 9 with 2914 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 19:36 - Feb 9 by onehunglow

For many it’s a very private matter

I’ve had CDI in a big way but I’m still here

Exactly my point. Sometimes it’s good knowing people are there to listen
Managing our mental health on 19:41 - Feb 9 with 2893 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 19:38 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

Exactly my point. Sometimes it’s good knowing people are there to listen

Indeed John.
You’re a very caring person.
I’m not sure why you chose the profession you did.

I did ok on Police but really hated it all . I preferred dialogue with criminals rather than ACPO ranks .
Last job saw me deal with the likes of Bettison and Hogan -Howe and Paul Stevenson directly each morning .

Have a word with any Met plod about them.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Managing our mental health on 19:55 - Feb 9 with 2890 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 19:41 - Feb 9 by onehunglow

Indeed John.
You’re a very caring person.
I’m not sure why you chose the profession you did.

I did ok on Police but really hated it all . I preferred dialogue with criminals rather than ACPO ranks .
Last job saw me deal with the likes of Bettison and Hogan -Howe and Paul Stevenson directly each morning .

Have a word with any Met plod about them.

I grew up watching Crown Court at dinner time when I was young, Kavanagh QC, LA Law, This Life . Persuading people to see your point of view. I like to think I’ve helped a lot of vulnerable people over the years, especially care home kids. I’ve helped to steer them away from drug use, and secured acquittals for numerous people I genuinely believed were innocent, one where the complainant admitted during cross exam that she was lying. I’ve represented a lot of people like the kids I grew up with. Sure I’ve represented a lot of not so nice people but that’s not always the case.

I’ve also prosecuted a lot of very nasty people and sat and held the hand of witnesses after trial and seen the look of relief in their eyes when told it’s over.

I love my job, it’s very stressful, spend time away from home and often work 20 hour days, but I can’t think of anything I’d rather do. I get to work with some incredible barristers, solicitors and judges all dedicated to trying to ensure justice is done in a crumbling system.

There are so many brilliant people, far better than I, who are desperate to do the job I do but can get a foot on the ladder. I hope that someone may see someone from my background, with my accent and no connection to the law that they can do it too.
Managing our mental health on 20:01 - Feb 9 with 2884 viewsKeithHaynes

Managing our mental health on 19:31 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

Maybe folk are getting more benefit from reading others posts and possibly don’t feel comfortable

Yes, indeed.

Managing our mental health on 21:01 - Feb 9 with 2819 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 19:55 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

I grew up watching Crown Court at dinner time when I was young, Kavanagh QC, LA Law, This Life . Persuading people to see your point of view. I like to think I’ve helped a lot of vulnerable people over the years, especially care home kids. I’ve helped to steer them away from drug use, and secured acquittals for numerous people I genuinely believed were innocent, one where the complainant admitted during cross exam that she was lying. I’ve represented a lot of people like the kids I grew up with. Sure I’ve represented a lot of not so nice people but that’s not always the case.

I’ve also prosecuted a lot of very nasty people and sat and held the hand of witnesses after trial and seen the look of relief in their eyes when told it’s over.

I love my job, it’s very stressful, spend time away from home and often work 20 hour days, but I can’t think of anything I’d rather do. I get to work with some incredible barristers, solicitors and judges all dedicated to trying to ensure justice is done in a crumbling system.

There are so many brilliant people, far better than I, who are desperate to do the job I do but can get a foot on the ladder. I hope that someone may see someone from my background, with my accent and no connection to the law that they can do it too.

I watched crown court before going to work .
You’ve made me feel very old
Bugger

Managing our mental health on 22:54 - Feb 9 with 2798 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 19:31 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

Maybe folk are getting more benefit from reading others posts and possibly don’t feel comfortable

This^

As you can imagine, I have some stories to tell and they have affected me but I won't go into it, I just get on with life, I have a family to look after therefore I put bad thoughts in a locker at the back of my head.
Managing our mental health on 23:06 - Feb 9 with 2788 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 22:54 - Feb 9 by Fireboy2

This^

As you can imagine, I have some stories to tell and they have affected me but I won't go into it, I just get on with life, I have a family to look after therefore I put bad thoughts in a locker at the back of my head.

Please if it helps talk, storing is never good.
Managing our mental health on 23:22 - Feb 9 with 2772 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 23:06 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

Please if it helps talk, storing is never good.

Cheers John but it's how I deal with it 👍
Login to get fewer ads

Managing our mental health on 23:25 - Feb 9 with 2769 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 23:22 - Feb 9 by Fireboy2

Of course but you’ve got my number should ever you need it
Managing our mental health on 23:35 - Feb 9 with 2761 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 23:25 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

Of course but you’ve got my number should ever you need it

👍
Managing our mental health on 07:22 - Feb 10 with 2729 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 19:55 - Feb 9 by Sirjohnalot

That's a great post. It must be a wonderful feeling knowing you helped families get justice, in defence or prosecution.

I suffered depression during my 5-6 years of ill health. I'm still convinced my dog saved my life, gave me reasons every day to carry on as well as endless love and devotion.
I like to think Albie even helped make me a better person.

John, you do come across as a top bloke. You PM'd me a couple of times to ask if I needed someone to talk to which I was very grateful for.

Like someone else l, antidepressants made me worse, I beat depression by sheer will with my family and a labrador crossbreeds help and support. Life is pretty darn good right now but I don't take it for granted, it still needs working at.
Managing our mental health on 07:30 - Feb 10 with 2726 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 07:22 - Feb 10 by SullutaCreturned

That's a great post. It must be a wonderful feeling knowing you helped families get justice, in defence or prosecution.

I suffered depression during my 5-6 years of ill health. I'm still convinced my dog saved my life, gave me reasons every day to carry on as well as endless love and devotion.

John, you do come across as a top bloke. You PM'd me a couple of times to ask if I needed someone to talk to which I was very grateful for.

Like someone else l, antidepressants made me worse, I beat depression by sheer will with my family and a labrador crossbreeds help and support. Life is pretty darn good right now but I don't take it for granted, it still needs working at.

I am so glad that I invited you onto our JB group, you are a great person, so glad I've met you in person mate, you are a good positive person, someone who I surround myself with as it makes my life so much better, can't wait for our next meet D 😊
Managing our mental health on 08:19 - Feb 10 with 2690 viewsBoundy

As John posted there's been and hopefully will continue to be some really honest expressions of posters thoughts and experiences and although to that poster that may seem a small thing to do it's really a big help to those who may not feel comfortable in expressing their innermost thoughts but have gone through the same experiences . Thanks

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Managing our mental health on 09:19 - Feb 10 with 2661 viewsSirjohnalot

Managing our mental health on 07:22 - Feb 10 by SullutaCreturned

Dogs are amazing, huge leveller. No matter how posh, rich, poor you are, you still have to pick up their poo.
Managing our mental health on 09:25 - Feb 10 with 2638 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 22:54 - Feb 9 by Fireboy2

This^

Putting black memories in the back locker is a good way if one can do so.
Well done

Managing our mental health on 11:08 - Feb 10 with 2628 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 23:22 - Feb 9 by Fireboy2

If that locker ever gets too full I'll always make time for you too

Sometimes you need to talk things out, I know.
Managing our mental health on 11:43 - Feb 10 with 2605 viewsswan65split

Managing our mental health on 19:27 - Feb 9 by KeithHaynes

You would have thought more would contribute though John.

Its a pity, I could, but have family and friends who read these pages, and Id like some things be kept private

Though will help when I can.
Managing our mental health on 14:42 - Feb 10 with 2538 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 21:47 - Feb 6 by Boundy

I have to admit after being diagnosed with the dreaded C for a second time my thoughts and emotions are everywhere, not helped by the treatment which won't cure me but delay the inevitible for as long as I keep the faith. So far the phyisical aspect of the illness hasn't affected me but the mental one is a bit of a battle at times but suprisingly I sleep well enough .I suppose like grief what I'm experiencing comes in waves with peaks and troughs and in the middle a short period of forgetfulness for which I'm grateful for even in small doses .But temepered with all that is the thought that I'm not buried under tonnes of rubble or hiding in a shelter being attacked by missles unlike some poor innocent souls .Theres always someone worse of then you so treasure and look after what you have because its not forever

Have you been to Maggies ?
Brilliant source of help, advice and experts to talk to who just listen.
Plus people affected by cancer either personally or through family or friends.
Great source of help to my wife, then after she passed away, to myself.
Plus always good to scrounge a free cuppa or two and some biccies if you are down that way

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 15:38 - Feb 10 with 2515 viewsFlashberryjack

Managing our mental health on 14:42 - Feb 10 by STID2017

Plus always good to scrounge a free cuppa or two and some biccies if you are down that way

My daughter ran the London marathon last year for Maggies, she raised over £4000 for them, some of the posters on this site were generous enough to contribute to her page, for which she is very grateful.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Managing our mental health on 16:02 - Feb 10 with 2503 viewsBoundy

Managing our mental health on 14:42 - Feb 10 by STID2017

No not yet ,but I will, If I went there now I'd feel a bit of a fraud as I feel fine ,
At the moment I'm trying to keep everything normal for as long as possible , I've started one part of my treatment with radiotherapy to start in the near future which I've read literature than it can be a bit of a b***er but like everthing else I'm treating it as a just another stage in the "recovery " process.
So sorry to hear about your wife's passing , I'm fortunate that I have a wife and a large family who are always there for us . I believe Alan Curtis has been involved with Maggies so I'll be in good company .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Managing our mental health on 17:03 - Feb 10 with 2467 viewsFlashberryjack

Managing our mental health on 16:02 - Feb 10 by Boundy

No not yet ,but I will, If I went there now I'd feel a bit of a fraud as I feel fine ,
At the moment I'm trying to keep everything normal for as long as possible , I've started one part of my treatment with radiotherapy to start in the near future which I've read literature than it can be a bit of a b***er but like everthing else I'm treating it as a just another stage in the "recovery " process.
So sorry to hear about your wife's passing , I'm fortunate that I have a wife and a large family who are always there for us . I believe Alan Curtis has been involved with Maggies so I'll be in good company .

Yes Curt has been a patron of Maggies for many years (what a guy), it really is a fantastic charity.
Just a reminder, Maggies is for everyone suffering from cancer, not only for terminal cancer patients.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Managing our mental health on 16:19 - Feb 15 with 2185 viewsKeithHaynes

Friend of mine here is suffering so he’s been out on his bike with me, we have some great trails here, the difference in him after a few weeks is remarkable. It’s true exercise is key.

Managing our mental health on 16:47 - Feb 15 with 2169 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 17:03 - Feb 10 by Flashberryjack

Yes Curt has been a patron of Maggies for many years (what a guy), it really is a fantastic charity.
Just a reminder, Maggies is for everyone suffering from cancer, not only for terminal cancer patients.

There is a Maggies at Clatterbridge ,apt as it’s my missus name.
We used that place when she was getting treatment which started nine years ago today.
It’s made me reflect having seen this post.
Anything that can help is some respite .
Well done Mr Curt .

Managing our mental health on 16:52 - Feb 15 with 2175 viewsSTID2017

Managing our mental health on 16:47 - Feb 15 by onehunglow

There is a Maggies at Clatterbridge ,apt as it’s my missus name.
We used that place when she was getting treatment which started nine years ago today.
It’s made me reflect having seen this post.
Anything that can help is some respite .
Well done Mr Curt .

Brilliant organisation, as are many others involved in helping cancer victims and their families, such as Marie Curie, Macmillans etc

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Managing our mental health on 18:50 - Feb 16 with 2086 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 16:19 - Feb 15 by KeithHaynes

Friend of mine here is suffering so he’s been out on his bike with me, we have some great trails here, the difference in him after a few weeks is remarkable. It’s true exercise is key.

fresh air and exercise obviously helps but how you deal with it mentally can also be key. It's the same with many illnesses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024