Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S 08:30 - May 13 with 4660 viewsBryanSwan

Anyone have any interest in the Welsh Leagues and Clubs.
Huge game in the Premier today Newtown v Haverfordwest for a place in European qualifiers.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:27 - May 16 with 1047 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 12:03 - May 16 by BarrySwan

'I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).'

I would hope not, they might as well pack up all together if they decide to drop down into the Welsh League.

I've played more different sports that than I care to think about over the years and there's only one thing that the participants, coaches and administrators of all of them agreed on.

You only get better by playing against better opposition.

There of course is one exception to this line of thinking. The Welsh FA who appear to think that the way forward is by playing against weaker opposition by teams dropping down to the embarrassingly low standard of the Welsh league rather than remaining and battling away in the English pyramid.

Such a shame that those who battled away to remain there later gave up any hope of progressing their clubs by dropping down to the Welsh structure instead of the more demanding English pyramid. ( Newport and Merthyr apart)

And all for the sake of the chance of embarrassing Welsh football by quickly being knocked out in the prelims or early rounds of European competition year after year in exchange for a couple of bob.

Does anybody really think that Newport or Wrexham for example would prefer to be in the Welsh League playing in front of 350 people rather than the lower reaches of the EFL with the chance to progress further up the chain

At the end of the 21/22 season, the ‘C’ International saw the Cymru team trounce the Saes 3-nil at Caernarfon.

This season the Saes won 1 nil in a tigher game.

The welsh team are all welsh qualified players from Cymru Prem.
The Saes team selected from the Conference.
Using words like embarrassment is very silly.

Let me help you …. Play professional then stay in Englands professional leagues.
Play semi pro …. then play in the Cymru Premiership.

(The only club to be pro and play in Wales is TNS).

To have a Cymru national team, then UEFA expect Cymru national leagues underneath.

The standard has improved due to many former academy players ending up there, as well as 2016 heroes like Jazz, Macca, David Edwards, and Dai Cotterill.
The Swans u21 manager Pennock is at Haverfordwest and just got them into Europe.

Open your eyes and open your mind.
Cymru is not England.

Beware of the Risen People

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:42 - May 16 with 1011 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:27 - May 16 by Kilkennyjack

At the end of the 21/22 season, the ‘C’ International saw the Cymru team trounce the Saes 3-nil at Caernarfon.

Let me help you …. Play professional then stay in Englands professional leagues.

To have a Cymru national team, then UEFA expect Cymru national leagues underneath.

The standard has improved due to many former academy players ending up there, as well as 2016 heroes like Jazz, Macca, David Edwards, and Dai Cotterill.
The Swans u21 manager Pennock is at Haverfordwest and just got them into Europe.

Cymru is not England.

TNS play in Oswestry which is in England.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:13 - May 16 with 994 viewsWhiterockin

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:42 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

So TNS are an English professional team playing in a semi professional Welsh league and pocketing half a million pounds every season that should be benefiting a Welsh team.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:04 - May 16 with 962 viewsBarrySwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:27 - May 16 by Kilkennyjack

Cymru is not England.

And let me reciprocate by helping you.

Catching a few Barry Town games in the flesh each season lets me know that the standard of the Welsh league is nothing short of abysmal.

Semi professional? The vast majority of players should be handing over £4 a game to get their kit washed rather than picking anything up in the way of a cash reward for their efforts.

The record of Welsh league teams in European competition is nothing short of embarrassing with the occasional rare exception.

As mentioned by others TNS play in England not Wales.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 21:06]
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:29 - May 16 with 939 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:13 - May 16 by Whiterockin

So TNS are an English professional team playing in a semi professional Welsh league and pocketing half a million pounds every season that should be benefiting a Welsh team.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

TNS were located in Wales prior to their merger/takeover of Oswestry town. Who were also playing in the Welsh league system.
It's a weird one really, maybe not one to kick up fuss about considering the Swans status in the English league system.
I blame the FAW for allowing TNS to dominate the league, they have no income other than Europe, they lose that and I can't see their owner chipping in half a million a year for any real duration.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:35 - May 16 with 928 viewsWhiterockin

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:29 - May 16 by BryanSwan

TNS were located in Wales prior to their merger/takeover of Oswestry town. Who were also playing in the Welsh league system.
It's a weird one really, maybe not one to kick up fuss about considering the Swans status in the English league system.
I blame the FAW for allowing TNS to dominate the league, they have no income other than Europe, they lose that and I can't see their owner chipping in half a million a year for any real duration.

The point stands that they are an English club taking money out of Welsh football.
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:36 - May 16 with 922 viewsbuilthjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:42 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

An awful lot of people in and around Oswestry speak Welsh.
Lots of Welsh place names there.
It must be from when it was Welsh.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:40 - May 16 with 913 viewsWhiterockin

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:36 - May 16 by builthjack

Is the Welsh league better for TNS being in it or worse. Just asking the question.
Login to get fewer ads

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:48 - May 16 with 908 viewsBarryTownSwam

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 15:21 - May 16 by BryanSwan

Whilst it may be the case that Wrexham and Newport are too big to join, Merthyr are not exactly a huge side and would most likely only be around the top attended teams. The quality difference between Step 4? and the Welsh league cannot be that great.

The English league system isn't everything, it would be great to see the Welsh leagues progress to the point of even being Vanarama level and being able to give the qualifiers more of a go. That is down to how the FAW decide to move forward though.

I think people unaccustomed to watching the Welsh Prem regularly underestimate the quality throughout the leagues. Barry Town had a few decent seasons in the top tier (qualified for Europe twice) and enjoyed the financial boost that brings. They reached the heady heights with a predominantly local player-base, then signed a few players from Conference South level to ‘add strength’ to the squad. It is safe to say those Conference South players mostly disappointed and failed to stay in the side. They soon left the club, to be replaced by local signings. TNS are probably a League 2 standard side - even with a reported £1.2m wage bill they are still have by far the lowest budget of all the sides in their European qualifiers groups and therefore bat above their average every season in Europe. How many Conference or League 2 sides would you expect to go toe-to-toe with the quality of european sides TNS are drawn against? Likewise semi-pro Connah’s Quay who humbled Kilmarnock a few years ago. I’d say the majority of sides are certainly Conference North / South level (I watch plenty of tier 3/4 games near my home in England so can feel I can judge the standards). My team Barry aim to stay up and develop our outstanding young talent. Gates are up, the team is used to winning again, the future is bright, let’s see how they get on next season. Plenty of Merthyr players have failed at Welsh Prem sides.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 21:55]
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 07:52 - May 17 with 856 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:48 - May 16 by BarryTownSwam

I think people unaccustomed to watching the Welsh Prem regularly underestimate the quality throughout the leagues. Barry Town had a few decent seasons in the top tier (qualified for Europe twice) and enjoyed the financial boost that brings. They reached the heady heights with a predominantly local player-base, then signed a few players from Conference South level to ‘add strength’ to the squad. It is safe to say those Conference South players mostly disappointed and failed to stay in the side. They soon left the club, to be replaced by local signings. TNS are probably a League 2 standard side - even with a reported £1.2m wage bill they are still have by far the lowest budget of all the sides in their European qualifiers groups and therefore bat above their average every season in Europe. How many Conference or League 2 sides would you expect to go toe-to-toe with the quality of european sides TNS are drawn against? Likewise semi-pro Connah’s Quay who humbled Kilmarnock a few years ago. I’d say the majority of sides are certainly Conference North / South level (I watch plenty of tier 3/4 games near my home in England so can feel I can judge the standards). My team Barry aim to stay up and develop our outstanding young talent. Gates are up, the team is used to winning again, the future is bright, let’s see how they get on next season. Plenty of Merthyr players have failed at Welsh Prem sides.

Barry have been unbelievable this year to be fair to them, completely dominated the league and derseved winners.
I've mainly watched Cymru south games barring the odd Prem game.
The way i would rate the standard would be:
TNS - Top end Vanarama
Champ phase - bottom end Vanarama, top end Van N/S
Relegation phase - Van N/S maybe Step 3
Cymru South - Step 3 through to Step 5

I personally think Merthyr should join, they aren't making any progress across the border. Could cut their losses and become a title challenger in Europe, be more exciting for the fans in my opinion.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:05 - May 17 with 822 viewsSgorioFruit

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:42 - May 14 by BryanSwan

It might just be my personal hate of artificial pitches swaying any view on them.
TNS will continue to win the league at a canter (due to Uefa prize money) unless something drastic is done in the format to make it more competitive and grow the other teams.

I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).

I'd like to see a new Neath team formed to compete, I know the Swans are in the locality but for Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot to have no top flight team is ridiculous given the size of the area.

Swansea Uni won the Cymru south two seasons ago, and should have been promoted to the Cymru Prem,
I am not sure why they didn't meet the criteria.
Haverfordfwest went up instead of them.

Swansea Uni in the prem would have been nice.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:10 - May 17 with 821 viewsSgorioFruit

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 14:12 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

The artificial pitches are needed in wet Wales to ensure that the games go ahead as scheduled.
You cant be travelling from Flint to Penybont for the game to be rained off last minute.

Top standard grass pitches are better, no question, but not many can afford the groundsmen needed to make that happen ….. so the 4G works. Plus all tbe community access, like the day time walking football at Penybont for seniors.

With respect, you are wrong about the split of the league though.
The split ensures that every game has meaning.
The Championship half are chasing European places as well as the title.
The Relegation half all fighting the drop, and the top team gets the European chance that Haverfordwest just took. Well done to them.

More ex-academy players are feeding through so the standard is good to watch.
And getting better.

TNS can pick the best 20 players perhaps, but Penybont for example are better located to attract players in south Wales. The north clubs pull from Liverpool and Manchester as well as the north.
Its a shame Merthyr dont want to have a crack at them. Their call, of course.
TNS have raised the bar, though so credit for that.

The top tier last year did not have Barry, Llanelli (both previous winners), Carmarthen, nor Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Rhyl or Bangor - some have reformed - so yes they could expand it a little and grow the league without losing quality.

By splitting north and south then tbe derbies will increase attendances.
Less travelling costs and less travel time.

Its not the Swans - but its worth a look if the Swans are away and there is a local game near you.

Great question on summer football, maybe give it a go and see ?
[Post edited 14 May 2023 14:14]

You said .

"With respect, you are wrong about the split of the league though.
The Relegation half all fighting the drop, and the top team gets the European chance that Haverfordwest just took. Well done to them."

But every game would still have a meaning if they didn't split the league in half midway through the season. They could still have that extra european play off spot.

They didn't split the EFL championship in half this season, and most games still had a meaning, Swans being only a few points away from reaching the play offs. Cardiff just surviving the drop.

My point im making is, in my opinion there is absolutely no need to split the welsh prem in half midway through the season. 8th place finished on the same points as 6th place, but were placed in two different splits of the league. Its a farce.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:08 - May 17 with 775 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:05 - May 17 by SgorioFruit

Swansea Uni won the Cymru south two seasons ago, and should have been promoted to the Cymru Prem,
I am not sure why they didn't meet the criteria.
Haverfordfwest went up instead of them.

Swansea Uni in the prem would have been nice.

I think they've actually gone down this season.

Either way I'm not a fan of university sides being able to make the top flight, would rather Cardiff met went down too. (I just dont see them as "real" clubs and they certainly dont benefit the league)

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:24 - May 17 with 739 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:48 - May 16 by BarryTownSwam

Well said.

I watch when i can and i agree with everything you have said.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:26 - May 17 with 738 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:08 - May 17 by BryanSwan

I think they've actually gone down this season.

Either way I'm not a fan of university sides being able to make the top flight, would rather Cardiff met went down too. (I just dont see them as "real" clubs and they certainly dont benefit the league)

I agree.

The towns are inclusive, whereas the institutions are exclusive due to their nature.

Anyone can play for Penybont, whilst not anyone can play for Cardiff Met.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:27 - May 17 with 737 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 07:52 - May 17 by BryanSwan

Barry have been unbelievable this year to be fair to them, completely dominated the league and derseved winners.
I've mainly watched Cymru south games barring the odd Prem game.
The way i would rate the standard would be:
TNS - Top end Vanarama
Champ phase - bottom end Vanarama, top end Van N/S
Relegation phase - Van N/S maybe Step 3
Cymru South - Step 3 through to Step 5

I personally think Merthyr should join, they aren't making any progress across the border. Could cut their losses and become a title challenger in Europe, be more exciting for the fans in my opinion.

Agree on Merthyr.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:36 - May 17 with 731 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:04 - May 16 by BarrySwan

And let me reciprocate by helping you.

Catching a few Barry Town games in the flesh each season lets me know that the standard of the Welsh league is nothing short of abysmal.

Semi professional? The vast majority of players should be handing over £4 a game to get their kit washed rather than picking anything up in the way of a cash reward for their efforts.

The record of Welsh league teams in European competition is nothing short of embarrassing with the occasional rare exception.

As mentioned by others TNS play in England not Wales.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 21:06]

You were watching the wrong league this season then.

My point is that the Cymru Prem is now a decent semi-pro level. Thats it.
You were watching Cymru South sides at Barry.

C international in 2022 - Cymru 3 Lloegr 0 …. Might give you half a clue…?
The English team is drawn from the conference.
Must just have had a bad night then, to lose so heavily to the ‘abysmal level’ welsh players. 🤡

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:39 - May 17 with 730 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:10 - May 17 by SgorioFruit

You said .

"With respect, you are wrong about the split of the league though.
The Relegation half all fighting the drop, and the top team gets the European chance that Haverfordwest just took. Well done to them."

But every game would still have a meaning if they didn't split the league in half midway through the season. They could still have that extra european play off spot.

They didn't split the EFL championship in half this season, and most games still had a meaning, Swans being only a few points away from reaching the play offs. Cardiff just surviving the drop.

My point im making is, in my opinion there is absolutely no need to split the welsh prem in half midway through the season. 8th place finished on the same points as 6th place, but were placed in two different splits of the league. Its a farce.

So everyone plays each other 3 times ?
If so, thats a home/away imbalance that current arrangements do avoid.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 01:24 - May 18 with 716 viewsBarrySwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:36 - May 17 by Kilkennyjack

You were watching the wrong league this season then.

My point is that the Cymru Prem is now a decent semi-pro level. Thats it.
You were watching Cymru South sides at Barry.

C international in 2022 - Cymru 3 Lloegr 0 …. Might give you half a clue…?
The English team is drawn from the conference.
Must just have had a bad night then, to lose so heavily to the ‘abysmal level’ welsh players. 🤡

Theres a magical box in the corner of my living room which relays games into the very same room allowing me to carry on evaluating the dreadful standards displayed in the Welsh premier division while Barry competed in the next division down
[Post edited 18 May 2023 1:28]
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:05 - May 18 with 692 viewsSgorioFruit

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:39 - May 17 by Kilkennyjack

So everyone plays each other 3 times ?
If so, thats a home/away imbalance that current arrangements do avoid.

then they need to expand the league,
the current situation is a farce

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:44 - May 18 with 670 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:05 - May 18 by SgorioFruit

then they need to expand the league,
the current situation is a farce

I agree - from the current 12 to 14 or 16. Probably 16.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:50 - May 18 with 668 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 01:24 - May 18 by BarrySwan

Theres a magical box in the corner of my living room which relays games into the very same room allowing me to carry on evaluating the dreadful standards displayed in the Welsh premier division while Barry competed in the next division down

Its not Man City vs Real, but i think you are being overly harsh.

Be interesting to hear your view if you are able to get to see a few Barry games live next season in the Cymru Prem.

How do think Barry will do ?

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:12 - May 19 with 612 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 01:24 - May 18 by BarrySwan

Did you say the same about the Swans in the old Div.3?

Its Vanarama n/s level, clubs with loads of local players and ones run by memebers of the comminuty. Cut them some slack.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:20 - May 19 with 604 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:36 - May 16 by builthjack

It is not in Wales now though. It was captured by the Norman's in 1156. It changed hands a few times but became part of England in 1536 as part of the act of union.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:27 - May 19 with 585 viewsBarryTownSwam

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:50 - May 18 by Kilkennyjack

Its not Man City vs Real, but i think you are being overly harsh.

Be interesting to hear your view if you are able to get to see a few Barry games live next season in the Cymru Prem.

How do think Barry will do ?

Small budget compared to other clubs. A fans-owned club without big money outside investors so its always an uphill battle to compete with wealthier clubs. Think Barry will do well and stay up, develop the younger players coming through the successful academy, then build on this and challenge the top teams in a year or two. Barry are better than outsiders give them credit for. Some great weekends away in North Wales to look forward to.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 20:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024