Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes to rejoin Russ? 17:10 - Jul 21 with 2059 viewsnantywatcher

Being suggested he could be used as a makeweight to get Ward-Prowse to West Ham. I've got a few Hammers' friends who would be chuffed to retrieve some part of Downes transfer costs back, even if only on paper.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 17:48 - Jul 21 with 1997 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea fans like to run down the club's transfer dealings. Apart from CR17 Swans have done well in my view.

Rodon was a giveaway at £11m. If you ask them what the club should pay to get him back hey would say £3m tops.

Rodon £11m cannot get in Spurs team

Downes £9-14m cannot get in West ham team

Obafemi £3.5m cannot get in the Burnley team

Lowe £2.5m turfed out of AFCB for less.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:59 - Jul 21 with 1895 viewsSullutaCreturned

They can send Downes back to us and have Grimes if they want!
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 20:02 - Jul 21 with 1884 viewsnantywatcher

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:59 - Jul 21 by SullutaCreturned

They can send Downes back to us and have Grimes if they want!

Winner of the most bl**dy ridiculous post of the year so far. Not even funny.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 20:04 - Jul 21 with 1873 viewsDr_Winston

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 20:02 - Jul 21 by nantywatcher

Innit.

West Ham would have absolutely no use for Grimes.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 20:05]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 16:01 - Jul 22 with 1736 viewsSullutaCreturned

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 20:04 - Jul 21 by Dr_Winston

Innit.

West Ham would have absolutely no use for Grimes.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2023 20:05]

Maybe they need a kit person, or a driver.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 16:02 - Jul 22 with 1734 viewsSullutaCreturned

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 20:02 - Jul 21 by nantywatcher

Why? Honest question. Would you not have Downes back?
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 16:39 - Jul 22 with 1690 viewsonehunglow

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 16:02 - Jul 22 by SullutaCreturned

Quite why we seem to love Grimsey has always baffled me
Downes is an infinitely better player albeit one who was mucked about by us ,or rather HIM .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 17:01 - Jul 22 with 1677 viewsnantywatcher

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 16:02 - Jul 22 by SullutaCreturned

Not for a moment. In a lifetime of being involved in the game he has got to be about the most boring, predictable player I ever seen. The only player you knew with 100% certainty what he was going to do with the ball before it even arrived at his feet. I thought West Ham was a good move for him because he needed a manger that would give him a massive kick up the arse and thought Moyes was more than capable of pulling all that natural ability out of him. There is a cracking player in there somewhere but not for me, more than happy for him to wear an opposition shirt.
Login to get fewer ads

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:17 - Jul 22 with 1606 viewsFireboy2

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 17:01 - Jul 22 by nantywatcher

Not for a moment. In a lifetime of being involved in the game he has got to be about the most boring, predictable player I ever seen. The only player you knew with 100% certainty what he was going to do with the ball before it even arrived at his feet. I thought West Ham was a good move for him because he needed a manger that would give him a massive kick up the arse and thought Moyes was more than capable of pulling all that natural ability out of him. There is a cracking player in there somewhere but not for me, more than happy for him to wear an opposition shirt.

Well you are the first person I've even known not rate downes.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:50 - Jul 22 with 1571 viewsKeithHaynes

> The only player you knew with 100% certainty what he was going to do with the ball before it even arrived at his feet <

Isn’t that a positive, Molby did same. ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:52 - Jul 22 with 1570 viewsSullutaCreturned

So if Downes isn't as good as grimes why did WHU not buy Grimes?

Why couldn't Duff be that manager?

I disagree with you. I think the same of your opinion as you do of mine.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 21:16 - Jul 22 with 1510 viewsDr_Winston

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:52 - Jul 22 by SullutaCreturned

So if Downes isn't as good as grimes why did WHU not buy Grimes?

Why couldn't Duff be that manager?

I disagree with you. I think the same of your opinion as you do of mine.

You kinda wonder why nobody has ever really expressed any serious interest in Grimes if he's as influential and talented as a lot of people seem to think.

Downes was here for one season and West Ham snapped him right up. Grimes has been here nearly a decade and nothing, not even when his contract was set to expire.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 21:42 - Jul 22 with 1485 viewsSullutaCreturned

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 21:16 - Jul 22 by Dr_Winston

You kinda wonder why nobody has ever really expressed any serious interest in Grimes if he's as influential and talented as a lot of people seem to think.

Downes was here for one season and West Ham snapped him right up. Grimes has been here nearly a decade and nothing, not even when his contract was set to expire.

Exactly my thoughts, I think he's the kind of player you need on the bench who gets on with 20 left when you are winning 1 nil. The player who slows the game down and keeps possession but very rarely does anything special.

How often has Grimes won us points? I mean, considering he takes all the set pieces, he doesnt create so much or score nearly as often as he should, if he's so great.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 22:53 - Jul 22 with 1436 viewsModeratorD

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 17:48 - Jul 21 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea fans like to run down the club's transfer dealings. Apart from CR17 Swans have done well in my view.

Rodon was a giveaway at £11m. If you ask them what the club should pay to get him back hey would say £3m tops.

Rodon £11m cannot get in Spurs team

Downes £9-14m cannot get in West ham team

Obafemi £3.5m cannot get in the Burnley team

Lowe £2.5m turfed out of AFCB for less.

Not sure it there is any argument that Swans have done well on those transfers, regardless of whether the players then went on to succeed or not ( surely we all wish them all the best, rather than wishing to gloat at their perceived failure ? )
However, for me and many fans, it seems that the biggest bugbear is that by comparison to other transfers of comparable players at the time of those transfers, we often seem to come out with less than other teams ?
I think this will change with Watson.
We will always sell, as that is part of the trading model, but IMHO will obtain a fairer price
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 08:45 - Jul 23 with 1382 viewsDr_Winston

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 21:42 - Jul 22 by SullutaCreturned

Exactly my thoughts, I think he's the kind of player you need on the bench who gets on with 20 left when you are winning 1 nil. The player who slows the game down and keeps possession but very rarely does anything special.

How often has Grimes won us points? I mean, considering he takes all the set pieces, he doesnt create so much or score nearly as often as he should, if he's so great.

It's not even the goals/assists/special things. Leon was hardly prolific, but you knew damn well that he was controlling the pace of the game. You could see it.

Grimes would be a decent option to have in the squad, but Captain? Playing every minute of every game? His apparent importance is in serious contradiction to his actual contribution.

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 08:47 - Jul 23 with 1380 viewsJackUlation

not until he is off the crab food diet, and starts passing forward.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 09:35 - Jul 23 with 1350 viewsjack247

There’s not really a comparison between Grimes and Downes. They aren’t similar players. If I had to pick one I’d have Downes every time, as I’m sure the vast majority would.

Having said that, he’s not going to come back here and Grimes is comfortably our best player in that position.

I don’t care if he’s the captain and don’t know why we persisted with him on set pieces for so long, but I wouldn’t want to lose him.
Downes to rejoin Russ? on 09:38 - Jul 23 with 1343 viewsonehunglow

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 09:35 - Jul 23 by jack247

There’s not really a comparison between Grimes and Downes. They aren’t similar players. If I had to pick one I’d have Downes every time, as I’m sure the vast majority would.

Having said that, he’s not going to come back here and Grimes is comfortably our best player in that position.

I don’t care if he’s the captain and don’t know why we persisted with him on set pieces for so long, but I wouldn’t want to lose him.

I agree with some of that.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 19:35 - Jul 23 with 1269 viewsSullutaCreturned

Downes to rejoin Russ? on 09:35 - Jul 23 by jack247

And yet Nanty accused Downes of being the exact kind of player many of us think Grimes is, slow, predictable and boring.

Dr W, I did specify the reasons but I agree with you about Leon, the big difference there was Leon got the ball back then usually very quickly moved it on, he got us going forward by getting the ball to the right player fast. Grimes takes all day about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024