Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97638 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:36 - Sep 18 with 982 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The 20MPH punishments on 20:48 - Sep 18 by Whiterockin

The petition has hit 100,000 a massive number. When it goes over 110,000 which it will in the next couple of hours it will be more than 10% of the total number of votes cast for all parties at the last Senedd elections.

I believe this not just about the 20mph speed limit but a protest signal to the Senedd not to take us for granted, you are answerable to us, you cannot just do what you want.

If the Senedd try to brush this under the carpet and try to ignore it they do so at their peril. The dissatisfaction in Wales is growing and if they ignore it, they could lose everything. Don't be surprised if the next petition is about increasing the Senedd numbers.

When you hit 10 percent of the electorate, it's about 5 percent now in some constituencies, it becomes politically problematic as there's a risk to electoral results.
Bearing in mind there's a formula that says for every person who takes the trouble to fill in a petition there are 3 or 4 who feel strongly the same way.
If this gets to 150,000 or even 200,000 then you may be looking at 500,000 or 600,000 very dissatisfied people.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2023 22:38]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 22:52 - Sep 18 with 955 viewsbuilthjack

It seems to have been a success in Bristol,for a number of years.
82% of residents are happy with the 20mph zones.
Surprising, but true.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The 20MPH punishments on 22:55 - Sep 18 with 954 viewsModeratorD

The 20MPH punishments on 22:52 - Sep 18 by builthjack

Surprising, but true.

Yea but how fast can a tractor go ?
The 20MPH punishments on 22:59 - Sep 18 with 948 viewsPawelAbbott

The 20MPH punishments on 22:52 - Sep 18 by builthjack

Surprising, but true.

I think that most people don't have an issue with 20mph in heavily but up residential areas.
It is the senseless blanket implementation with little effort that riles everyone. 20mph in a street with houses either side and cars parked all along the pavements makes sense.
But, there are plenty of places where rhis isn't the case and are now unfeasibly slow
The 20MPH punishments on 23:00 - Sep 18 with 948 viewsbuilthjack

The 20MPH punishments on 22:55 - Sep 18 by ModeratorD

Yea but how fast can a tractor go ?

The big ups around here will do 50mph.
Close on £200,000 new.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The 20MPH punishments on 23:00 - Sep 18 with 948 viewsModeratorD

The 20MPH punishments on 16:09 - Sep 18 by Whiterockin

Gwyn you know me I'm not for any political party, but this needs to change. 20mph in selected areas like schools but not to the extent it is now. 20mph means some people drive at 15mph because they are scared to get booked. In Swansea we have stretches covering a couple of miles that are 20mph.

Agree especially as it's unclear which roads are affected due to mixed information from different quarters
The 20MPH punishments on 23:03 - Sep 18 with 943 viewsModeratorD

The 20MPH punishments on 23:00 - Sep 18 by builthjack

The big ups around here will do 50mph.
Close on £200,000 new.

And they reckon farmers got no money ?
The 20MPH punishments on 23:21 - Sep 18 with 925 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 23:00 - Sep 18 by ModeratorD

Agree especially as it's unclear which roads are affected due to mixed information from different quarters

Was driving along the road from Morriston Cross to the DVLA and yesterday, there were no repeater signs and nobody had a clue what the speed limit was. Some were doing 20, others 30 and some 40. To make it worse there was a speed camera van on the road. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 00:16 - Sep 19 with 906 viewsRobbie

Observation , just finished work after a late shift and crawled through an area doing 17 mph the limit being a now 20 , there were no obvious reasons why I could not travel at 30 mph there was nobody about , including no radar guns or ASC , I drove like a Sunday Driver .

However , this weekend after dark the Lewis Hamiltons of this area will be screaming past my place , 30 mph limit again , without a care in the world .

Maybe the GoSafe money making enterprise should park up during the night at the real hot spots , they are the issue , never mind easier in the day , less wages , more profit . innit .
The 20MPH punishments on 06:58 - Sep 19 with 863 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 22:36 - Sep 18 by JACKMANANDBOY

When you hit 10 percent of the electorate, it's about 5 percent now in some constituencies, it becomes politically problematic as there's a risk to electoral results.
Bearing in mind there's a formula that says for every person who takes the trouble to fill in a petition there are 3 or 4 who feel strongly the same way.
If this gets to 150,000 or even 200,000 then you may be looking at 500,000 or 600,000 very dissatisfied people.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2023 22:38]

Signatures have now reached 125,000 that is an incredible 80,000 in the last 24 hours.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 08:07 - Sep 19 with 846 viewsScotia

The 20MPH punishments on 06:58 - Sep 19 by felixstowe_jack

Signatures have now reached 125,000 that is an incredible 80,000 in the last 24 hours.

Where were these 125,000 at the last senedd election?

Many of them were voting for voting for Labour or Plaid I suspect.

This petition is pointless as the Senedd have a democratic mandate for the 20mph speed limit it's here until at least the next Senedd election, when Labour or a Labour / Plaid coallition will be elected again. The merry go round will continue.
The 20MPH punishments on 08:35 - Sep 19 with 824 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 08:07 - Sep 19 by Scotia

Where were these 125,000 at the last senedd election?

Many of them were voting for voting for Labour or Plaid I suspect.

This petition is pointless as the Senedd have a democratic mandate for the 20mph speed limit it's here until at least the next Senedd election, when Labour or a Labour / Plaid coallition will be elected again. The merry go round will continue.

Quite possibly the 125,000 so far didn't vote at the last elections, I am one. But I think you are missing the point that since the last Senedd elections there is a growing concern that the Senedd are not doing what the Welsh public wish. They think that they have a mandate to do exactly what they want and are answerable to nobody. You only need to read this board to see the change of opinions. This petition will easily top 150,000 now and no political party can ignore these numbers.
The 20MPH punishments on 08:38 - Sep 19 with 823 viewsAnotherJohn

Probably right. In theory a petition could have almost as much impact as a recall vote, meaning that a mandate could be reversed if there is enough pressure from the electorate. However, the problem as i see it is that we need the resolve to give Labour and Plaid a bloody nose at one election, or the Nanny State will be with us big time and not just regarding smacking, speed-limits and meal deals. And I say that as somebody who voted Labour for most of my adult life. The blue-collar "Old Labour", about which Drakeford wrote so fondly in his social policy articles 20+ years ago, has gone now, to be replaced by the current woke crew.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2023 8:49]
The 20MPH punishments on 08:50 - Sep 19 with 811 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 08:38 - Sep 19 by AnotherJohn

Probably right. In theory a petition could have almost as much impact as a recall vote, meaning that a mandate could be reversed if there is enough pressure from the electorate. However, the problem as i see it is that we need the resolve to give Labour and Plaid a bloody nose at one election, or the Nanny State will be with us big time and not just regarding smacking, speed-limits and meal deals. And I say that as somebody who voted Labour for most of my adult life. The blue-collar "Old Labour", about which Drakeford wrote so fondly in his social policy articles 20+ years ago, has gone now, to be replaced by the current woke crew.

This is exactly the point I am trying to make.

This was released yesterday and apart from the increase in Senedd members not much has been sail about the electoral reforms they are pushing through.

https://www.gov.wales/senedd-reform
The 20MPH punishments on 08:50 - Sep 19 with 811 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The 20MPH punishments on 08:38 - Sep 19 by AnotherJohn

Agreed, in addition whatever you normally vote we have a problem. If we keep voting Labour then UK Labour does not see Wales as a priority and does not need to care. The Conservatives don't care as they never get the vote. There needs to be a shift.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 08:53 - Sep 19 with 810 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 08:50 - Sep 19 by JACKMANANDBOY

Agreed, in addition whatever you normally vote we have a problem. If we keep voting Labour then UK Labour does not see Wales as a priority and does not need to care. The Conservatives don't care as they never get the vote. There needs to be a shift.

We need a high number of quality independents to shake things up. Look at my link above and the Senedd are trying to make this more difficult.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:08 - Sep 19 with 802 viewsScotia

The 20MPH punishments on 08:35 - Sep 19 by Whiterockin

Quite possibly the 125,000 so far didn't vote at the last elections, I am one. But I think you are missing the point that since the last Senedd elections there is a growing concern that the Senedd are not doing what the Welsh public wish. They think that they have a mandate to do exactly what they want and are answerable to nobody. You only need to read this board to see the change of opinions. This petition will easily top 150,000 now and no political party can ignore these numbers.

I hate to say it that by you not voting at all you're as much to blame for the 20 mph speed limit as those who voted Labour or Plaid.

Both parties had the 20 mph speed limits as a clear unambiguous point in their manifesto's. I voted Green and Liberal because they didn't.

About 700,000 people at a constituency level alone supported a party who had pledged to introduce this speed limit, the Welsh Government can quite rightly say that they are fulfilling the mandate on which they were elected. Those 700,000 can't be ignored. About 1.25 million didn't bother voting at all - so they could be said not to be bothered about the introduction of the 20 mph speed limit, if they were they could have voted that way.

Labour Manifesto:-

9, Make 20mph the default speed limitin residential areas and ban pavement
parking wherever possible.

Plaid Manifesto :-

• Make 20mph the default speed limit in all built up areas.

I think the speed limit is a stupid idea for various reasons. But this petition isn't going to make a difference, what may make a difference is who you vote for at the senedd elections in 2026.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:11 - Sep 19 with 800 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 08:50 - Sep 19 by JACKMANANDBOY

Any party that puts rescinding in it's manifesto will be guaranteed thousands of extra votes at the next Senedd elections. It might even get people turning out to vote instead of the usual 46% turnout. Given labour only had 450,000 votes at the last election and PC had 200,000 can they really afford to ignore the wishes of what may well be over 250,000 voters who have signed or will sign the petition.

If you look at the map of the constituencies who have signed the petitions the areas with the highest % of signatures are nearly all labour.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 09:49 - Sep 19 with 783 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 09:08 - Sep 19 by Scotia

I hate to say it that by you not voting at all you're as much to blame for the 20 mph speed limit as those who voted Labour or Plaid.

Both parties had the 20 mph speed limits as a clear unambiguous point in their manifesto's. I voted Green and Liberal because they didn't.

About 700,000 people at a constituency level alone supported a party who had pledged to introduce this speed limit, the Welsh Government can quite rightly say that they are fulfilling the mandate on which they were elected. Those 700,000 can't be ignored. About 1.25 million didn't bother voting at all - so they could be said not to be bothered about the introduction of the 20 mph speed limit, if they were they could have voted that way.

Labour Manifesto:-

9, Make 20mph the default speed limitin residential areas and ban pavement
parking wherever possible.

Plaid Manifesto :-

• Make 20mph the default speed limit in all built up areas.

I think the speed limit is a stupid idea for various reasons. But this petition isn't going to make a difference, what may make a difference is who you vote for at the senedd elections in 2026.

I think we agree in principal but just differ in the process to get there. Like many at the last Senedd election I felt there was little my vote would do to change the status quo, unless there was a massive turnaround and that was not going to happen. Since then the policies introduced by the Senedd have gone way over the top and Welsh people are not happy. You have little faith in the petition, but I believe it is the vehicle to give voters hope that there can be change in the future. Hopefully this is the start of the process to arrive at the Senedd we hope for. Personally I would wish for a Senedd of Independents fighting their corner for every area of Wales, this won't happen, but hopefully removing the automatic power of the three main parties will.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:40 - Sep 19 with 728 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The 20MPH punishments on 09:11 - Sep 19 by felixstowe_jack

Any party that puts rescinding in it's manifesto will be guaranteed thousands of extra votes at the next Senedd elections. It might even get people turning out to vote instead of the usual 46% turnout. Given labour only had 450,000 votes at the last election and PC had 200,000 can they really afford to ignore the wishes of what may well be over 250,000 voters who have signed or will sign the petition.

If you look at the map of the constituencies who have signed the petitions the areas with the highest % of signatures are nearly all labour.

People will just blindly continue to vote for whoever they’ve always voted for regardless of policy. Another party could offer everyone £100k a year and a night with a supermodel of your choice and they’d still put their cross in the same old tired box.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The 20MPH punishments on 12:13 - Sep 19 with 703 viewslifelong

In July of this year a speed camera was installed on Western Avenue, Cardiff, which is a 30mph built up area. Within a week 4,200 motorists we caught speeding. There’s 4200 votes for the petition straight off.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:44 - Sep 19 with 653 viewsAnotherJohn

Scotia's prediction that the WG won't listen is holding up so far. The petition is north of 162K signatures, but Mr Mick Antoniw, the Pontypridd MS says the following.

"We've just introduced changes, we would need to allow them to bed in. I'm confident they will be workable and people will accept them. (...) I think a lot of people are concerned, I think there is a degree of confusion. I think it will take time for significant culture change to bed in."

There is a degree of arrogance there that makes me very angry. They want to change our culture, and they don't care if they have to drag us kicking and screaming to get their way. Ropes and lamp posts come to mind. The idea of a Senedd of independents sounds good but it won't happen. If only people would vote Tory just once (I know that is deeply unpalatable to many) it might be a lesson that has lasting effect.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:51 - Sep 19 with 647 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 13:44 - Sep 19 by AnotherJohn

Scotia's prediction that the WG won't listen is holding up so far. The petition is north of 162K signatures, but Mr Mick Antoniw, the Pontypridd MS says the following.

"We've just introduced changes, we would need to allow them to bed in. I'm confident they will be workable and people will accept them. (...) I think a lot of people are concerned, I think there is a degree of confusion. I think it will take time for significant culture change to bed in."

There is a degree of arrogance there that makes me very angry. They want to change our culture, and they don't care if they have to drag us kicking and screaming to get their way. Ropes and lamp posts come to mind. The idea of a Senedd of independents sounds good but it won't happen. If only people would vote Tory just once (I know that is deeply unpalatable to many) it might be a lesson that has lasting effect.

I really think if they just ignore the petition people will be really Peed off and it could backfire on them.

Edit

It is astounding me how it is still rising so quickly. It couldn't reach a quarter of a million, could it?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2023 13:53]
The 20MPH punishments on 13:56 - Sep 19 with 642 viewsAnotherJohn

Risen to over 166K now - people must be furious.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:57 - Sep 19 with 640 viewsWhiterockin

Analysis by David Deans, BBC Wales political reporter
It's really unusual to get a petition that's anywhere near as as big as this.

The last one that got close was during the pandemic, and is less than half the size of the 20mph petition to date.

The Senedd uses petitions as a way of giving people a voice and it can show the depth of feeling about an issue.

As well as a debate, the Senedd's Petitions Committee can hold an inquiry if it chooses.

But although petitions can put the minister under pressure they do not have to do much about them, legally.

The petition is due to run until March and could just carry on until then.

But the committee might now have a chat with the petitioner to see what they want to do, and whether they would like to close it so the Senedd can hold another debate sooner - although there have already been two recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024