Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Announcement imminent? 07:47 - Oct 30 with 10147 viewsFrankRightguard

Thought I’d pop on Skybet and see what odds they were offering for the runners and riders and there is no market available. They have one up for Bristol City so I assume whoever is coming is a done deal and they don’t want a pile on.
Announcement imminent? on 13:55 - Oct 30 with 2917 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Announcement imminent? on 12:57 - Oct 30 by NewBee

"... so expect a long line of applicants looking for a three year contract and a pay off when we’re relegated."

No offence, but it is a complete myth that your average, bog-standard manager, with a CV showing eg 3 managerial positions in the last five seasons, can rock up at a potless EFL club and then receive a nice pay-off when he's subsequently sacked 6 or 9 months into a 3 year contract etc.

Club owners may, on-the-whole, be pretty clueless when it comes to running a football club, but they're not so completely stupid that they don't insert a (minimum) severance clause into a new manager's contract when he signs it. Remember, most of the time, that new manager has very little leverage when applying for a job (i.e. they're out-of-work already, or soon will be), while owners know that if Applicant A demands too much, they can just turn to Applicant B instead.

Of course, an in-demand manager at the top of his game can make demands of his own eg when Mourinho walked away from Chelsea the first time, he apparently needed an extra-large wheelbarrow to shift his pay-off to the bank. But that was because Abram was prepared to pay top money for the top manager at the time. Whereas after Mourinho left them for the second time, the pay-off was considerably reduced.

Same eg with Poch at Tottenham. There he had apparently negotiated a good deal following his most recent contract renewal, but when Levy decided he had to go, not that long after, instead of just paying out a lump sum, he put him on 'gardening leave'. Meaning that he was still technically employed by the club and so entitled to be paid monthly etc. However, the moment he took up a new job, Spurs could cease paying him.

The QPR job will not be an attractive one for ambitious young up-and-coming managers whose career trajectory is rising, so you're very unlikely to attract such applicants (unless we're talking from League Two, or even National League?). Or the club might take a chance on some unknown foreigner who's desperate to get on the ladder in English football, but even there, such a contender would not be in a position to make contract demands, including a generous severance package.

Instead, the applicants will likely either be (A ) the same old hackneyed names, desperate for a job - any job - and so in no position to bargain; or (B ) a Big Sam or a Colin, who will come in on a short-term contract, but with a hefty bonus for keeping you up. Which, frankly, is unlikely ever to have to be paid.

P.S. None of that last bit is meant to be a wind-up, so sorry if it gets taken that way.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 13:00]

You come across as a bit of a see you next... there mate.

Hope you take that the right way.
Announcement imminent? on 14:03 - Oct 30 with 2768 viewsBluce_Ree

Announcement imminent? on 13:50 - Oct 30 by Northernr

"So anyway, you're too fat. No offence."

"with all due respect, your sister's a slut"

to quote the great Dom Irrera.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Announcement imminent? on 14:07 - Oct 30 with 2711 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm refreshing the screen every 15mins. (approx)

Hurry up.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Announcement imminent? on 14:20 - Oct 30 with 2524 viewsNewBee

Announcement imminent? on 13:50 - Oct 30 by Northernr

"So anyway, you're too fat. No offence."

None taken.

I'm quite content with being big boned. I mean, it's better than being thin-skinned.
Announcement imminent? on 14:20 - Oct 30 with 2523 viewsTheChef

#announceravel

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Announcement imminent? on 14:23 - Oct 30 with 2479 viewsMaggsinho

A new name in the frame - Marti Cifuentes

Announcement imminent? on 14:23 - Oct 30 with 2476 viewsJuzzie

Announcement imminent? on 12:57 - Oct 30 by NewBee

"... so expect a long line of applicants looking for a three year contract and a pay off when we’re relegated."

No offence, but it is a complete myth that your average, bog-standard manager, with a CV showing eg 3 managerial positions in the last five seasons, can rock up at a potless EFL club and then receive a nice pay-off when he's subsequently sacked 6 or 9 months into a 3 year contract etc.

Club owners may, on-the-whole, be pretty clueless when it comes to running a football club, but they're not so completely stupid that they don't insert a (minimum) severance clause into a new manager's contract when he signs it. Remember, most of the time, that new manager has very little leverage when applying for a job (i.e. they're out-of-work already, or soon will be), while owners know that if Applicant A demands too much, they can just turn to Applicant B instead.

Of course, an in-demand manager at the top of his game can make demands of his own eg when Mourinho walked away from Chelsea the first time, he apparently needed an extra-large wheelbarrow to shift his pay-off to the bank. But that was because Abram was prepared to pay top money for the top manager at the time. Whereas after Mourinho left them for the second time, the pay-off was considerably reduced.

Same eg with Poch at Tottenham. There he had apparently negotiated a good deal following his most recent contract renewal, but when Levy decided he had to go, not that long after, instead of just paying out a lump sum, he put him on 'gardening leave'. Meaning that he was still technically employed by the club and so entitled to be paid monthly etc. However, the moment he took up a new job, Spurs could cease paying him.

The QPR job will not be an attractive one for ambitious young up-and-coming managers whose career trajectory is rising, so you're very unlikely to attract such applicants (unless we're talking from League Two, or even National League?). Or the club might take a chance on some unknown foreigner who's desperate to get on the ladder in English football, but even there, such a contender would not be in a position to make contract demands, including a generous severance package.

Instead, the applicants will likely either be (A ) the same old hackneyed names, desperate for a job - any job - and so in no position to bargain; or (B ) a Big Sam or a Colin, who will come in on a short-term contract, but with a hefty bonus for keeping you up. Which, frankly, is unlikely ever to have to be paid.

P.S. None of that last bit is meant to be a wind-up, so sorry if it gets taken that way.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 13:00]

No one got relegated in October/November so was all going well until that last sentence, even with the edit.
Announcement imminent? on 14:23 - Oct 30 with 2469 viewsaston_hoop

Announcement imminent? on 14:23 - Oct 30 by Maggsinho

Linked a couple of times previously, before we appointed Beale and then before we appointed Critchley. We haven't forgotten him at least I suppose.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Announcement imminent? on 14:26 - Oct 30 with 2416 viewsconnell10

Announcement imminent? on 14:23 - Oct 30 by aston_hoop

Linked a couple of times previously, before we appointed Beale and then before we appointed Critchley. We haven't forgotten him at least I suppose.

With a name like that pretty hard to forget to be honest.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Announcement imminent? on 14:27 - Oct 30 with 2395 viewsTheChef

Marti Pellow also available?

Announcement imminent? on 14:43 - Oct 30 with 2228 viewskensalriser

Announcement imminent? on 14:27 - Oct 30 by TheChef

I don't think Pellow's a football manager tbh, just happens to share the same first name.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Announcement imminent? on 14:45 - Oct 30 with 2197 viewsTheChef

Announcement imminent? on 14:43 - Oct 30 by kensalriser

I don't think Pellow's a football manager tbh, just happens to share the same first name.

Probably wishing he was lucky.

Announcement imminent? on 14:49 - Oct 30 with 2146 viewsTonto

Announcement imminent? on 14:27 - Oct 30 by TheChef

Yeah but his best friend went and ltold him that there may be a job at City...

So he is hardly going yto come here is he?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Announcement imminent? on 14:49 - Oct 30 with 2124 viewsFDC

I mean it's the kind of interesting appointment I'd quite like, because it suggests some research and planning -- but with it being made by a DoF. Kind of wild to go from Ainsworth to a random Swedish guy but there you go.
Announcement imminent? on 15:04 - Oct 30 with 1920 viewseastside_r

Announcement imminent? on 14:49 - Oct 30 by FDC

I mean it's the kind of interesting appointment I'd quite like, because it suggests some research and planning -- but with it being made by a DoF. Kind of wild to go from Ainsworth to a random Swedish guy but there you go.

Don’t think he’s Swedish.
Announcement imminent? on 15:08 - Oct 30 with 1855 viewsTheChef

Announcement imminent? on 14:49 - Oct 30 by Tonto

Yeah but his best friend went and ltold him that there may be a job at City...

So he is hardly going yto come here is he?

He would dream about another scheme
About another sordid hall of dreams
About a man who is king of industry
He would swear by his mouth almighty
He would buy the best
But never something new
And he never told me

Never knew this song was about QPR!

Announcement imminent? on 15:09 - Oct 30 with 1831 viewshamptonhillhoop

Announcement imminent? on 15:08 - Oct 30 by TheChef

He would dream about another scheme
About another sordid hall of dreams
About a man who is king of industry
He would swear by his mouth almighty
He would buy the best
But never something new
And he never told me

Never knew this song was about QPR!

We're all getting bored now aren't we?
Announcement imminent? on 15:11 - Oct 30 with 1763 viewsNorthernr

Announcement imminent? on 14:49 - Oct 30 by FDC

Well he was on the list a year ago.
Announcement imminent? on 15:12 - Oct 30 with 1735 viewsdm97

Agents gonna agent
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024